Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Couldn't agree with this more. I actually said when ETH joined, he had a bit of a blank canvas as a positive, but it also means he needs to be sure the players he brings in will do as he asks straight away. So it is a challenge to navigate the market in light of so many gaps in the squad and implementing a new play style.

Same with the Brobbey link, even if he isn't our long term CF , he knows what's expected of him and others will have to follow suit if they want to displace him.
Absolutely.

It's important for ten Hag/Murtough to sign players who already understand vertical positional play on the ball. It's going to take time for the players already at the club to understand the methods in question, so having 3 or 4 players who do understand the method is not only advantageous for ten Hag but also the players already at the club. The GK, CBs, fullbacks and the deep lying midfielders are key in the build up phase. And i'm personally happy to see that there's focus on several of those areas in the current window.

I think by the following summer window, we'll hopefully have someone in a head of recruitment role. And I don't believe we have anyone in that role currently with Lawlor and Bout departing. So like I said in my previous post, it's going to be interesting to see who is appointed in that role for the new season. But I fully expect the influence of the head of recruitment to take effect by the next summer window.

Andersons Dietician

I’m somewhat confused by this signing, Timber ok, he could play RB and could drift centrally to act as an extra CM. Bit is Martinez coming in to be back up and replace Bailly/Jones/Tuanzebe. Or will he replace Maguire/Varane/Lindelof? As much as I dislike Maguire I don’t see Martinez replacing him.

So is he being brought in to be a DM and fill in CB when needed because I just can’t see him replacing our main 3 CB’s unless we are going 3 at the back.

Idxomer

I’m somewhat confused by this signing, Timber ok, he could play RB and could drift centrally to act as an extra CM. Bit is Martinez coming in to be back up and replace Bailly/Jones/Tuanzebe. Or will he replace Maguire/Varane/Lindelof? As much as I dislike Maguire I don’t see Martinez replacing him.

So is he being brought in to be a DM and fill in CB when needed because I just can’t see him replacing our main 3 CB’s unless we are going 3 at the back.
Honestly thinking about it, I would prefer paying 50m for a goalkeeper like Roberto Sanchez instead of another centre-back with question marks about him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Honestly thinking about it, I would prefer paying 50m for a goalkeeper like Roberto Sanchez instead of another centre-back with question marks about him.
Did you have question marks about Varane?

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

You added something totally irrelevant to my post. At that point why even bother replying mate?
So an addition of a tongue in cheek comment poking fun (whilst point out hypocrisy) at the SAME CLUB is completely irrelevant? I think you need to look up what irrelevant means.

Also you are correct I do now wish I'd not replied. I liked your comment and wanted to add to it but it seems like you're a bit of a (word that will get me banned) so don't worry I won't bother again.

Ladron de redcafe

How good is this guy? Who here has watched enough of him to help us understand what he brings and how good he might turn out to be?

LoneStar

Arguing with another member
So an addition of a tongue in cheek comment poking fun (whilst point out hypocrisy) at the SAME CLUB is completely irrelevant? I think you need to look up what irrelevant means.

Also you are correct I do now wish I'd not replied. I liked your comment and wanted to add to it but it seems like you're a bit of a (word that will get me banned) so don't worry I won't bother again.
Good. Feck off.

Jev

Really can't make sense of this transfer unless we've given up on Maguire, in which case we should sell him. We have a very decent no. 3 in Lindelöf and if we need more bodies why not just keep Bailly?

Makes zero sense to me to spend time and a lot of money chasing a new third-choice CB when our literally only striker is leaving and we were short up front to begin with.

Last edited:

LH99

People asking how good is the guy or do we really need another CB , if ETH thinks hes good enough and also thinks we need a CB then thats surley all that matters , and we should trust that.

Ive not saw anything of him although you must think that the players he wants to take from ajax are surley the best ones at the club and have the best chance of making a impact at Old Trafford . Also with Mikeal Arteta showing interest he must have somthing about him .

Highfather_24

Really can't make sense of this transfer unless we've given up Maguire, in which case we should sell him. We have a very decent no. 3 in Lindelöf and if we need more bodies why not just keep Bailly?

Makes zero sense to me to spend time and a lot of money chasing a new third-choice CB when our literally only striker is leaving and we were short up front to begin with.
Our RB options are also much worse than our CB options. Our strike options are Rashford/Martial if Ronaldo leaves.

Also we are still stuck with one of McT/Fred in midfield, no matter what.

To me even after 5 possible signings, we didnt address 3 critical areas : RB, DM and CF.

Teja

Klopp joined Liverpool in October 2015 and his first summer window, was the summer of 2016. And Liverpool's transfer budget wasn't anywhere close to ours, so Klopp targeted players he was familiar with. And those players were mostly low risk punts from Germany, with the exception of Sadio Mane who was a Klopp signing, and he (Mane) was well versed in Klopp's heavy metal football approach from his time with RedBull Salzburg.
Have to agree to disagree there. I personally don't believe Matip / Mane were the players that lead them to have the second season that they did. Matip on a free was mocked / ridiculed during that season and he was relegated to a backup of VVD / Gomez the following year if memory serves.

Klopp was able to drill his existing players for almost an entire season and IMO his coaching ability rather than the transfers is what turned them around initially.

I agree that if Pool had the same amount of money that we have available now, they would have signed more players that fit his philosophy. But I really doubt 100M+ backing in the first window on targets the manager wants (Martinez / Antony) without any input from the club is the way to go about it.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Really can't make sense of this transfer unless we've given up Maguire, in which case we should sell him. We have a very decent no. 3 in Lindelöf and if we need more bodies why not just keep Bailly?

It does make sense as it adds important competition and quality. If Maguire or others dont step up big time from last season, they watch from the bench. Our back four has been super poor so EtH need to address that

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Martinez is a left footed CB. ETH has a strong preference for those. Rather than thinking about replacing any of our CBs, think about it as signing a player for a position we don't have anyone currently for and those 6 CBs as being able to fill in, but it not being their primary position.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
People asking how good is the guy or do we really need another CB , if ETH thinks hes good enough and also thinks we need a CB then thats surley all that matters , and we should trust that.

Ive not saw anything of him although you must think that the players he wants to take from ajax are surley the best ones at the club and have the best chance of making a impact at Old Trafford . Also with Mikeal Arteta showing interest he must have somthing about him .
Don’t know how anyone could watch last season and think “meh we are ok with the 3 CBs we have”

golden_blunder

Staff
Our center backs are grande when you consider the state of our midfield.
They are bad but we shouldn’t use that excuse to cover everything because it lets the CBs shirk their responsibilities. Individually and collectively they made a lot of simplistic errors last season, defending that you see on a Sunday league pitch. Throw on top that Varane and Lindelof are injury prone. Varane to everything and Lindelof still carrying his back injury this summer.
we can’t just go into another season ignoring it and blaming it on the midfield. That would be sticking our head in the sand

Trex

They are bad but we shouldn’t use that excuse to cover everything because it lets the CBs shirk their responsibilities. Individually and collectively they made a lot of simplistic errors last season, defending that you see on a Sunday league pitch. Throw on top that Varane and Lindelof are injury prone. Varane to everything and Lindelof still carrying his back injury this summer.
we can’t just go into another season ignoring it and blaming it on the midfield. That would be sticking our head in the sand
I like to look at it in perspective, next year we're in for a top four fight, that defense will do it isn't worse than our rivals (Tottenham, Arsenal), the midfield is mid table standard at best.
Given limited funds I wasn't expecting investment in center back this summer, I feel at the level our center back are capable of playing at like we've seen before last season it will take a world class player to improve that area, were as there are teams outside the top six with better midfield and worse we are about to loose a third forward from the squad that started last season.

golden_blunder

Staff
I like to look at it in perspective, next year we're in for a top four fight, that defense will do it isn't worse than our rivals (Tottenham, Arsenal), the midfield is mid table standard at best.
Given limited funds I wasn't expecting investment in center back this summer, I feel at the level our center back are capable of playing at like we've seen before last season it will take a world class player to improve that area, were as there are teams outside the top six with better midfield and worse we are about to loose a third forward from the squad that started last season.
What part of injuries was it that you ignored?

matic isn’t here to fill in. Jones, Bailly and possibly Tuanzebe will likely be sold.

it’s a very distinct possibility that Varane and Lindelof will be injured at the same tim

so do you expect maguire to handle it all?

THATS the context.

Trex

matic isn’t here to fill in. Jones, Bailly and possibly Tuanzebe will likely be sold.

it’s a very distinct possibility that Varane and Lindelof will be injured at the same tim

THATS the context.
But we can say the same for the attack, Ronaldo is likely gone. Leaving us with Martial, Rashford and Sancho as senior forwards.
And in midfield even if we sign FDJ it will be Fred, Mctominay and Frenkie as options for the double pivot.

Godfather

THATS the context.
You can spin it all you like but CB was never as pressing a need as CM and a forward, especially with Ronaldo leaving. Are our options at the back perfect? Far from it. But a lot better than in midfield or up front. I also don't quite get why we prioritize CB.

golden_blunder

Staff
But we can say the same for the attack, Ronaldo is likely gone. Leaving us with Martial, Rashford and Sancho as senior forwards.
And in midfield even if we sign FDJ it will be Fred, Mctominay and Frenkie as options for the double pivot.
Fred is a good player. Besides I think that people are reading the intentions wrong, I think it will be FDJ and Eriksen

i think we will add strength to the forward line if Ronaldo leaves

none of them are an cause to ignore the underperforming, injury prone CBs

golden_blunder

Staff
You can spin it all you like but CB was never as pressing a need as CM and a forward, especially with Ronaldo leaving. Are our options at the back perfect? Far from it. But a lot better than in midfield or up front. I also don't quite get why we prioritize CB.
Again WE CANNOT go into a season with only 3 CBs who proved last season to struggle with injuries and form

im not saying to ignore FW, go and get a player if Ronaldo leaves

but it’s no excuse to ignore CB

Trex

Fred is a good player. Besides I think that people are reading the intentions wrong, I think it will be FDJ and Eriksen

i think we will add strength to the forward line if Ronaldo leaves

none of them are an cause to ignore the underperforming, injury prone CBs
I think we'll disagree on the midfield as I don't see Eriksen being used in the Double pivot.
Someone will definitely come in attack whomever it is.
We'll see how things pan out but to me spending big on a center back especially on one I don't feel is overall superior to our current options is an odd move.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
De Gea was much better with the ball when Hoek/Van Gaal were coaching him. Maybe he can improve again. If he can’t, I think they’ll look to replace him next summer. Maignon’s contract might be running down by that point.

Red00012

THATS the context.
There’s no club going to take Phil Jones let’s be honest

Aeryis

Agreed. Midfield and the attack (no RW, no striker) and then our RBs are the most pressing issue. It boggles me we're trying to spend 50m on a CB when it really isn't needed at the moment, especially on a 1.75m tall CB. Then there's the fact that we spent a good deal of money on another left back. I'm confused by our club, like are we not watching the same matches at all?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There’s no club going to take Phil Jones let’s be honest
stop being stupid jones is a good player.

why are people so hateful? he’d walk into any lower PL side

Red00012

stop being stupid jones is a good player.

why are people so hateful? he’d walk into any lower PL side
I’m not hating , he’s injury prone why would a club take a punt on him unless we will pay most of his wages ?

golden_blunder

Staff
Agreed. Midfield and the attack (no RW, no striker) and then our RBs are the most pressing issue. It boggles me we're trying to spend 50m on a CB when it really isn't needed at the moment, especially on a 1.75m tall CB. Then there's the fact that we spent a good deal of money on another left back. I'm confused by our club, like are we not watching the same matches at all?
Brick wall meet head

Adam-Utd

I’m not hating , he’s injury prone why would a club take a punt on him unless we will pay most of his wages ?
because he’s a very experienced ex england international that is simply better than most lower league defenders. yes he’s had a bad time with injuries but if his wage demands weren’t silly i’m sure many clubs would happily take him.

Adam-Utd

Problem isn't his ability, he is never available.
he was available for us all year, we just didn’t play him as we had better options. when he did play he did alright considering the ring rust

Trex

he was available for us all year, we just didn’t play him as we had better options. when he did play he did alright considering the ring rust
Exactly, nobody wants to take someone who has hardly played in three years, its too risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.