Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Given how much we need to do this guy and Timber make sense given their versatility to cover CB, DM and RB respectively.

didz

I would take Lisandro Martinez over Timber every day of the week - was actually quite surprised we were linked with Timber at all given Lisandro exists.

He just looks like a much better defender - more active, better in the air (despite being shorter, as if that actually matters) and for an added bonus he's left footed.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Given how much we need to do this guy and Timber make sense given their versatility to cover CB, DM and RB respectively.
yes cause Ajax is definitely going to straight up sell their entire backline in one summer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not sure he's that impressive relative to the others. Could be very wrong though
He's actually been one of their best players. And along with Daley Blind, his ability to break the lines is impressive.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He was voted their player of the year award.
He's actually been one of their best players. And along with Daley Blind, his ability to break the lines is impressive.
Ah, I must be very wrong there then. The only Ajax games I watched were from the cup final onwards last season!

Interesting that, we must have foregone Timber all together then. Would be surprised if we still wanted him next year or in Jan if we got Martinez.

Bondi77

Really?????
And this comes out after the Timber deal is now dead in the water :annoyed:
So this if true :lol: :lol: :lol: would mean we would not be going for Timber in the foreseeable future.

CM

Is he a bit of a utility man a la Blind, or does he have more of a fixed position?

NoPace

Versatile left-footed defender makes sense. Either in a back 3 or even as the partner for Maguire/Varane in a back 4.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of height because he was the last man back for Ajax basically playing alone at center back a lot of the time this season, and for us he'd probably be a bit more aggressive and have a taller partner in Maguire or Varane.

I really think the best way to look at the squad is for Maguire and Varane to be sharing one position as they're both better on the ball on their natural side (particularly Varane) and with 23 games in 14 weeks to start the season, we can probably only play Varane 15 times or so at most without him falling apart.

Also maybe a way to sell Telles and just have Lisandro and Alvaro share the backup LB job with Alvaro when it's an attacking role and Lisandro when it's more of a defensive one.

NoPace

Is he a bit of a utility man a la Blind, or does he have more of a fixed position?
Can play LB and DM, so yeah, though this season Ten Hag made him basically his lone true center back as they played sort of a diamond in defence with the taller Edson Alvarez shielding him as a taller DM, then Timber and Blind either side of Lisandro but getting forward more, then Mazraoui sort of tucked in and looking to get forward in the half-space that was open because Antony was so far wide on the right.

We don't know our formation yet, so it's hard to say. Ten Hag might not either til he gets a look at everyone in training and we know who we're signing.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Makes much more sense than Timber , considering we have two half decent options in Varane and Lindelof in his position.

This would be a Maguire / depth signing.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Would be disappoined to miss out after only being linked a few days ago, but if ETH is really in for him I suppose there's only one place he'll go.

Interesting the Dutch journalist saying we haven't put in a bid mind you, when Ornstein says we did.

Rolaholic

He can play DM right? Seem to remember him mainly as one before this past season for some reason

Interestingly enough, for all the talk of height in the other thread, he's shorter than Timber

Mwooyo

Not sure he's that impressive relative to the others. Could be very wrong though
Martinez is much better than timber. Actually one could say that Martinez taught timber everything he knows. I think Martinez is even better than maguire. He is faster than maguire (but not varane/bailly fast). He is passes as good as maguire and defends much better. He rarely turned 180 degrees when one on one and is more press resistant. I would take martinez over pau torres given the price

ti vu

How quick is he?
Faster than Timber in chasing (without the ball). He's more developed, and mature. However, I really
think unlike Timber, there is not much room for improvement, in which his size would be liability for him if he's being used solely as a CB in PL. Feel like he needs a reverse Blind: convert to defensive midfielder. Very good at switch play, long ball.

Rolaholic

Wouldn't mind him at all for his versatility but I fear that would rule out us signing another Ajax player like Anthony who I feel should also be a priority this summer

Volksie316

As a left buck, I am sure he would be great, but he would be dominated in the premier league, for his height.

Unless of course, we play 3 at the back, and the other 2 can compensate for him.

Trex

Faster than Timber in chasing (without the ball). He's more developed, and mature. However, I really
think unlike Timber, there is not much room for improvement, in which his size would be liability for him if he's being used solely as a CB in PL.
He's 24 right, you think he has maxed out his full potential?
Aside his not being tall what are his weaknesses in an applied sense like concentration, Tackling, aerial duel, positioning.....is he calm or an aggressive type, is his current level already good enough for a title contending side?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
By the way, although shorter he seems to deal with aerial duels better than Timber.

ti vu

He's 24 right, you think he has maxed out his full potential?
Aside his not being tall what are his weaknesses in an applied sense like concentration, Tackling, aerial duel, positioning.....is he calm or an aggressive type, is his current level already good enough for a title contending side?
Perhaps, I worded it wrong in my previous. I meant as a CB I don't think he would be any better than what he's shown now. He's very reliant on the system for him to work as CB. He's an aggressive defender. The way I saw ETH utilize him is similar to how LVG used Smalling: a destroyer. Will man mark until the end of the world (possession phase) even if it means to continue running into opposition half. He's not the real organizer of the defensive line.

There is a few issue with this defensive set up. Take the first leg against Benfica for an example. Chance at 70th minute and Benfica 2-2 equalizer has a common theme: Martinez man marked tightly, but then Ajax defensive unit spread too thin, Martinez had to engage the ball carrier/shooter, and left his mark. Goal scorer off the rebound was Martinez's original mark. While Benfica decoy run is a tactic touch and maybe also fixed with a more pragmatic tactic; I feel it has a certain level of Martinez' s fault of lack of situational awareness getting too tight originally then caught in no man land and let his original mark peeled off. Smalling in similar role read these situation better, and he's still way off the level of Rio in seeing through decoy.

Then box defending really requires size. Timber may play the pseudo RB role while we could maintain 2 tall CBs. If it's Martinez, I'm afraid we're doomed with Mctominay being tried as CM!

justsomebloke

You have to wonder if it this points to an intended departure for Lindelof or Maguire? Otherwise, someone ends up in the same position as Bailly, hardly figuring at all.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
You have to wonder if it this points to an intended departure for Lindelof or Maguire? Otherwise, someone ends up in the same position as Bailly, hardly figuring at all.
I doubt it. We're not going into the season with only three centre backs. Varane has had a lot of injuries recently so we'll need plenty of cover and it also gives ten Hag the freedom to play a back three if necessary.

justsomebloke

I doubt it. We're not going into the season with only three centre backs. Varane has had a lot of injuries recently so we'll need plenty of cover and it also gives ten Hag the freedom to play a back three if necessary.
Well, we currently have six. :) And if last season (which included significant injury time for Varane, and also some for Maguire) is anything to go by, the fourth man would see only a very small handful of games. If they're considering three at the back it's different of course.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Played a season at DM and can play LB too. Would be good signing to cover many areas with our limited budget.

Ralph1386

Well, we currently have six. :) And if last season (which included significant injury time for Varane, and also some for Maguire) is anything to go by, the fourth man would see only a very small handful of games. If they're considering three at the back it's different of course.
I doubt Ten Hag is signing him to sit on the bench or be a “fourth” option. One of the current CBs will definitely be dropped if he’s signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.