Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

A manager is not that clueless. If the immediate opponent favors a long ball with strong CFs, he will likely push Martinez into a DM role with either 2 of Varane, Lindelof and Maguire holding against the CF. He can also get the taller CB to mark the CF while Martinez plays like a sweeper.
Yeah that tactic could work actually and is maybe how he would be used in this team

Bondi77

I don't think ETH is given guarantees over a starting role that's why Timber didn't fancy it, he isn't ruling out Maguire, Varane or Lindelof they'll have fight for their place.
That rules out Victor then if it means fighting for something.

croadyman

It's concerning that our scouting is basically non existent and our approach is just buy Dutch. PL is a completely different level.

Height is a big concern (don't expect us to improve on set pieces which we are dreadful on). On the plus side it brings good balance to the squad to have a left footed centre back and he looks very good in possession. A partnership of him and Maguire could work well although lacking in pace.
I will keep saying this until I am blue in the face, the reason I think we are buying Dutch this summer is to build up a relationship with people he knows, next window I expect us to look wider for players but may well be proved wrong

Trex

That rules out Victor then if it means fighting for something.
Well Lindelof was already considered behind Varane and Maguire in the pecking under both Ole and Rangnick so most likely, but now that the people responsible for bringing in Maguire are no longer in charge (Woodward, Ole) let's see how that goes.

croadyman

I expect the Antony deal will be dead if this one goes through. The fees suggested would be too much of a risk. Hopefully we've got an alternative in mind.
Maybe Gnabry/Asensio, think Dembele only goes to Chelsea if he leaves Barca

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
€50m. They are taking the p. That latest offer if true should be accepted. I wouldn’t offer higher. They had to come down eventually for Gravenberch.
They had no leverage in the Gravenberch deal, he didn't want to re-sign so they had to take it. They can ask whatever they want for Martinez.

cyberman

Don’t understand this Dutch obsession. If we bought nothing but EPL favourites on here there wouldn’t be a peep about us being obsessed with one market.
Saying that it’s still only reportedly 2 out of 4 Dutch league signings that’s being made. Fans are weird.

MalaysianRed7

Really? Cant think of any of the top 10 who arent physically imposing....

Just take the starting pair for the top 5,

Diaz
Laporte
V. Dijk
Matip
Rudiger
Silva
Sanchez
Dier
Gabriel
White

None below 6 ft. And if you remove White, none below 6, 2 probably.
Aside from Van Dijk and Dias (Rudiger’s gone), I wouldn’t exactly consider most of them beasts. Someone like Matip is actually skinny. What I’m saying is that if he has other traits like positional awareness, knowledge of how to use his body, pace and jumping reach, his lack of height isn’t really going to be a massive issue.

C'est Moi Cantona

I will keep saying this until I am blue in the face, the reason I think we are buying Dutch this summer is to build up a relationship with people he knows, next window I expect us to look wider for players but may well be proved wrong
I think people get that, but we could end up buying five players on that basis this window, so they still need to be good enough, as they'll be the ones we're looking at to improve the team, and they'll all be on decent money and long contracts.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's a shortcut to getting us play how he wants I agree (although it would only be 2 that have actually played under him).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Don’t understand this Dutch obsession. If we bought nothing but EPL favourites on here there wouldn’t be a peep about us being obsessed with one market.
Saying it it’s reportedly 2 out of 4 Dutch league signings that’s being made. Fans are weird.
No they arent.

ETH has a pedigree of winning things, so if he puts his hat on certain ex players, we trust that more than we would with Ole, who failed miserably in his only PL stint prior to joining United.

Besides, Malacia is a standalone good talent at a small fee, De Jong is a no brainer and Eriksen has proven himself in the PL. The only risky transfer looks to be Martinez given the fee. But then again he was Ajax player of the year, the manager knows him well and hes half the fee of Maguire who wasnt even as good as Evans for fecksake.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Saying that it’s still only reportedly 2 out of 4 Dutch league signings that’s being made. Fans are weird.
Manager is going with players he trusted previously/knows well. Can hardly blame him for that. The club has to back the manager with what he wants and he’ll either succeed or fail. That’ll be on him.

AjaxNL

Which makes me question the new manager too? Too slow, too small and gives the ball away needlessly because he's too small and too slow
Martinez too slow? Now I've read it all. have you ever seen the guy play? It appears you have some personal vendetta against him or this signing, your arguments simply don't make any sense...

It's not the passing I'm talking about. Have a read of what I said.

It's when the ball is there to be won. He 'wins' it and concedes it straight away. Varane is much better than him. Much better

... arguments like the above. I mean, 'he wins it and concedes it straight away'? What a niche occurrence that is, how many times does that actually happen in a football match? let alone to one individual player? Yet that is what you base your argument on. It just doesn't make any sense at all

Mainoldo

Why? You expect to sign a class player for cheap? Gravenberch is no comparison, he had a 1 yr deal left. Ajax also barely came down for him. Ajax wanted 25 and got 19 + 5. If he had 3 yrs left (like Martinez) Ajax would be asking 70m for him as well.

Nevertheless, please don't offer higher, Ajax will happily keep him. If you want to get a very good player, on a long term deal that he current club has no intention of selling then you have to pay an exceptional fee. Ajax can keep him and sell him for a decent fee next year. This is Ajax' preferred option. Only way to get him is to offer something special.
So they got less than what they wanted? How much did Liverpool get for Mane by the way?

Also shall we have a run through at the end of the window of how many CB will be sold for over €50m? I don’t think it will be many.

Mainoldo

They had no leverage in the Gravenberch deal, he didn't want to re-sign so they had to take it. They can ask whatever they want for Martinez.
They did if they created a bidding war. They pretty much agreed with his Bayern wishes. They still had cards to hold. I’m sure other clubs would of met their demands which would of forced Bayern up. He’s a 19/20 year old wonder kid, is he not?

Judas

Open to offers
I'd rather have a guaranteed few who we know will buy into what the manager is selling, seeing as we have a toxic group who will happily throw anyone and everyone under the bus.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
So was Baresi. However the EPL is different to the Serie A and tbf the Serie A is relying more and more on taller CBs as of late.
Meh, the ball spends more time on the deck to be honest. More and more teams are "trying to play the right way" (whatever that means)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Meh, the ball spends more time on the deck to be honest. More and more teams are "trying to play the right way" (whatever that means)
you're right. Also we're be playing a high line defence + Martinez seem to be one of those 'freaks' with extraordinary elevation that allows him to be quite decent in air.

Kag

There’s a lot of logic to this potential signing. Left footed, clearly good on the ball and already up to speed with what Ten Hag wants. Four good centre half options right there; they just need a bloody midfield infront of them.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
So they got less than what they wanted? How much did Liverpool get for Mane by the way?

Also shall we have a run through at the end of the window of how many CB will be sold for over €50m? I don’t think it will be many.
In any negotiation both parties will move a little bit. Ajax barely moved for Gravenberch whilst Ajax did not have any leverage.

Ajax does hold a lot of leverage in the Martinez case. Maybe it won't be many going 50m+, but Ajax don't want to sell. I have said in another post btw that I do think Ajax will come down a bit. Ajax are now reported to want at least 50m guaranteed (basic). I can see Ajax accepting 45/46 basic and then add ons getting it towards or just over €50m. I don't see Ajax accepting this offer, but it's close enough to make it happen eventually.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He plays a pass there at 0:35 which is so simple but brilliant. So many of our players would've played that to feet and transferred themselves being in a difficult situation to their LB being in a difficult situation. By playing that pass in front of him, through a tight gap, he takes so much pressure off his team, and takes loads of the opposition out of the game.

Not a particularly difficult pass but for so long I've seen our players not help their teammates at all with their passes.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
you're right. Also we're be playing a high line defence + Martinez seem to be one of those 'freaks' with extraordinary elevation that allows him to be quite decent in air.
City and Liverpool play so high yet barely get caught on the break/counter. You'd think a 442/4411 with two left up top would murder these teams (think 93 United) alas they seem to do fine (I think until a team braves it and figures it out).

If we can compress a team towards their own goal, we can be OK

phelans shorts

Well Lindelof was already considered behind Varane and Maguire in the pecking under both Ole and Rangnick so most likely, but now that the people responsible for bringing in Maguire are no longer in charge (Woodward, Ole) let's see how that goes.
Maguire will remain first choice because he remains our best central defender.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
City and Liverpool play so high yet barely get caught on the break/counter. You'd think a 442/4411 with two left up top would murder these teams (think 93 United) alas they seem to do fine (I think until a team braves it and figures it out).

If we can compress a team towards their own goal, we can be OK
true

Ekeke

Also very strange when our new manager comes from the best side there and has worked with several of the targets. Of course he's well aware of the players in the dutch league and wants the ones he would have liked going into the future at Ajax. Should he buy players he's never seen or heard of from portugal instead?

Irrational.

To be fair anything is better than Calamity Jones, Kung Fu Panda Bailly, HMS Maguire and Soft Scoop Lindelof. He’d become joint top defender next to Champions League Varane.

Olecurls99

Martinez too slow? Now I've read it all. have you ever seen the guy play? It appears you have some personal vendetta against him or this signing, your arguments simply don't make any sense...

... arguments like the above. I mean, 'he wins it and concedes it straight away'? What a niche occurrence that is, how many times does that actually happen in a football match? let alone to one individual player? Yet that is what you base your argument on. It just doesn't make any sense at all
I'll explain it further for you. When the ball is in the air Varane/Maguire will not only win it but will actually keep possession. I'm sure this isn't counted as a pass but it's far more important. Similarly when fighting with an opponent Varane is much more likely to win it cleanly and keep possession. Lisandro will just put it out of play or boot it.

And yes he is slow

cyberman

No they arent.

ETH has a pedigree of winning things, so if he puts his hat on certain ex players, we trust that more than we would with Ole, who failed miserably in his only PL stint prior to joining United.

Besides, Malacia is a standalone good talent at a small fee, De Jong is a no brainer and Eriksen has proven himself in the PL. The only risky transfer looks to be Martinez given the fee. But then again he was Ajax player of the year, the manager knows him well and hes half the fee of Maguire who wasnt even as good as Evans for fecksake.
I think you misread my post. I’m basically agreeing with you!
Maybe I didn’t explain myself but we are signing just two Dutch based players and one of those is an Argentinian international. If we signed Bissouma, Rice etc in one window there wouldn’t be this nonsense about signing too many EPL players.

Status
Not open for further replies.