Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Don’t understand this Dutch obsession. If we bought nothing but EPL favourites on here there wouldn’t be a peep about us being obsessed with one market.
Saying that it’s still only reportedly 2 out of 4 Dutch league signings that’s being made. Fans are weird.
Did you miss the ‘brexit fc’ bullshite on here when Ole signed a few home grown players?! I agree fans are weird though.

Marcelinho87

I'm not in that box but we've done no deals as it stands so no one has been put in any box.

I firmly believe we'll have 3-4 transfers done in the next week, for what it's worth. Just a bit of a silly comment from you.
Not really, the comments were we couldn't work on more than one deal at a time, not complete one at a time.

We are quite clearly working on more than one, comment stands.

BestRed

-----------------------De Gea
NewRB----Varane----Maguire----Malacia
-----------------------Martinez
Sancho---De Jong----Fernandes---Rashford
-----------------------Ronaldo

NewRB----Varane----Martinez----Malacia
-------------------------McFred

Timber----Varane----Maguire----Malacia
Sancho---De Jong----Fernandes---Antony

Option 3 would be ideal!
Not sure we'd get away with Option 2 :D

mu4c_20le

I'm not in that box but we've done no deals as it stands so no one has been put in any box.

I firmly believe we'll have 3-4 transfers done in the next week, for what it's worth. Just a bit of a silly comment from you.
Fabrizio's word mean nothing to you?

dinostar77

NewRB----Varane----Maguire----Malacia

NewRB----Varane----Martinez----Malacia
-------------------------McFred

Timber----Varane----Maguire----Malacia
Sancho---De Jong----Fernandes---Antony

Option 3 would be ideal!
Dude, frenkie sits infront of the CB and takes the ball off them to then start to build out of the back and dictate play. There isnt going to be a DM behind him.

croadyman

Dude, frenkie sits infront of the CB and takes the ball off them to then start to build out of the back and dictate play. There isnt going to be a DM behind him.
Do you not think that makes us a bit lightweight

Ekeke

He never was being bought as a DM, people are just projecting their desire for us to buy one onto this signing. We do need a DM signing though.
I'm sure he isnt being specifically bought for the position but I bet he does get some gametime there too at certain points. Reason being injuries, rotation etc. Even if he isnt 1st choice to play there he's miles better than McTominay and Fred as DM. At the same time he might be too important to move out of CB.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In the 2 aerial duels we saw in the Haaland video, it wasn't even a contest? Haaland won both easily. The last one at 1.59 of the video Haaland won the header and Dortmund briefly had a 2v1 in attack precisely because he won the physical battle with ease.

And it's not that a centre back can't ever lose a duel obviously, it just comes down to frequency and competitiveness. In an aerial duel that's considered a 50/50 ball, the opposition's most physically dominant players will win the large majority against any 5ft 9 player.

And besides, we judge players over the 50 games they play in a season. There will no doubt be games where teams either don't get enough of a foothold to cause us any trouble, or they don't manage to isolate their aerially strong players against our weakest aerial CB, or they fail to isolate him in dangerous positions. Over the course of the season though, there will be so many times where we wish we had a centre back who met the pre-requisite for aerial dominance.
Funnily enough I rewatched the all touches vid and I am inclined to agree. He also had a couple loose moments against Dortmund specifically that could have easily led to a goal.

If I am not mistaken he also gave it away to Feyenoord (or was it PSV) in the cup final?

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I'm sure he isnt being specifically bought for the position but I bet he does get some gametime there too at certain points. Reason being injuries, rotation etc. Even if he isnt 1st choice to play there he's miles better than McTominay and Fred as DM. At the same time he might be too important to move out of CB.
Fred or McTominay might very well partner FdJ in midfield. Frenkie will be your main DM and the one next to him will fill in a tactical role next to him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
True but you would get a wide range of answers on any particular player of ours or elsewhere in the PL if you asked on here. It's not a particularly good guide either.
True. However, their opinions would be at least worth considering more than posters from other countries.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I don't ever remember watching him or even hearing his name. However, since United's interest and some acquired knowledge of how EtH likes to set up his teams, I would think he wants a defender who is comfortable playing further up the pitch to make up an extra player in midfield.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't ever remember watching him or even hearing his name. However, since United's interest and some acquired knowledge of how EtH likes to set up his teams, I would think he wants a defender who is comfortable playing further up the pitch to make up an extra player in midfield.
From what Ive seen he can pick out some sweet diagonals or balls over the top too.

He definitely has a loose pass or two in him though.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Seems like our most likely CB signing at this point. I'm excited. Heres some of my posts about Lisandro Martinez as I've kept an eye on him and first saw him breakthrough in the Argentine league as an outstanding player

So if we do sign him and he turns out to be rubbish, I'll fully accept responsibility :lol: On the other hand...
How is he compared to Timber, in your opinion?

dinostar77

@ raees has just posted a new video 2 hours ago.

Brilliant video. So a WC left foot. Press resistant and a playmaker CB ala the types we saw in the 70s and 80s. This lad looks so interesting.

These videos are so well made. Encourage anyone with an interest in martinez to spend 10mins and watch this one.

Dr. StrangeHate

Doesn't make sense to me. We already have Maguire, Varane and Lindelof fighting for two positions, unless we are going 3 at the back. Does ETH do 3 at the back.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Doesn't make sense to me. We already have Maguire, Varane and Lindelof fighting for two positions, unless we are going 3 at the back. Does ETH do 3 at the back.
It wouldn't be a priority for me but Varane is too injury prone and Lindelof isn't good enough. This guy is a risk for the PL though.

We're likely have 2 games a week for the majority of the season so all will play.

dinostar77

No ETH is not a fan of three at the back. There are a few videos of ETH tactics throughout his career and he abandoned 3 at the back very early on in his managerial career.

Besides you need 4 x CB in a squad especially if your playing in multiple competitions.

OpenIntrovert

Do you not think that makes us a bit lightweight
The problem is that we have this mindset that a DM is someone who runs around making tackles. A DM is basically a advanced CB with better passing, they are supposed to read the game very well, have very good positioning and they tend to make less interceptions/tackles as their positioning is good enough to stop the opponents from having clear channels to pass or attack into. If you see a good DM making too much tackles, it is probably due to the central midfield being overrun by the opponent.

De Jong can certainly play as a DM if the central midfield is good enough. However if all the midfielders are attacking minded, then he will have a problem against opponents with better CMs.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not really, the comments were we couldn't work on more than one deal at a time, not complete one at a time.

We are quite clearly working on more than one, comment stands.
Well in that case that happened when we entered negotiations for Malacia, as it was obvious we were already negotiating for De Jong.

It's more the "Done Dealio" part of your comment I was replying to anyway.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

So I think this is very interesting. You can see why ETH wants him and also possibly why we're not buying a DM.

He is absolutely a CB but in possession he plays high enough where a defensive midfielder would play.

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag
Doesn’t make sense? Have you seen Maguire play for the past years? He’s literally a walking meme.
Varane has been injured most of the time unfortunately and Lindelof hasn’t been very solid either.

avgp_1

If we get him, this how I think we should line up

------------------------------------ De Gea-------------------------------------
------------------Varane------Maguire----Martinez-------------------

Laird/Elanga---------- De Jong--------Fred-----------Shaw/Malacia

-----------------------------------Fernandes(Eriksen)---------------------

---------------------Ronaldo(Martial)------------Sancho(Rashford)-----------------------

Back 3 with WBs pushed forward. LWB with Shaw/Malacia playing more as inside WBs shifting centrally as extra midfielders, allowing Sancho to drift left. Laird/Elanga playing more as RW adding width on the other end.

Back 3 would allow Fred and De Jong to play with more freedom as well with the WB tucking in can allow one of those two to move forward with/without the ball

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It makes sense when you consider how injury prone they were last season, how Varane is made from glass, how shit Lindelof is and how out of form maguire was last season. We need a strong spine, and a leader which this lad is compared to them

mu4c_20le

No ETH is not a fan of three at the back. There are a few videos of ETH tactics throughout his career and he abandoned 3 at the back very early on in his managerial career.

Besides you need 4 x CB in a squad especially if your playing in multiple competitions.
Hopefully he is flexible enough to try it again. Nothing wrong with 3 at the back, think some people here are still associating it with LVG 2015. Tuchel uses it most of the time and usually controls most games. When we go up against top oppo like city and liverpool, we should do what we have to do to get a result.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

That's a good video. In summary:
- he is aggressive type of defender, similar to Cannavaro
- he has very high passings stats with high accuracy, while he also likes to do alot of progressive pass rather than just side-ways, which makes his passing stats even more impressive.
- he is among the top defender in doing progressive long pass, with high accuracy, although sometimes he could over do it
- although he has high stats in winning aerial duels in Dutch league which suggest he is more than competitive aerially, he may not be as reliable in aerially demanding league like PL
- as CB he has good success dribble stats, and is regarded as one of most press resistance CB
- he likes to join the attack build up play and sometimes not shy to even take a long shot himself
- Tactically he is mainly deployed as LCB under ETH\, where he is a press resistant CB who could either dribble his way to find space to pass to his teammate, or making progressive long pass to start attack move. When his team attack, he is also good at transiting from back line to midfield line, and plays like a deep lying DM, involving alot in build up play.

MalaysianRed7

If we get him, this how I think we should line up

------------------------------------ De Gea-------------------------------------
------------------Varane------Maguire----Martinez-------------------

Laird/Elanga---------- De Jong--------Fred-----------Shaw/Malacia

-----------------------------------Fernandes(Eriksen)---------------------

---------------------Ronaldo(Martial)------------Sancho(Rashford)-----------------------

Back 3 with WBs pushed forward. LWB with Shaw/Malacia playing more as inside WBs shifting centrally as extra midfielders, allowing Sancho to drift left. Laird/Elanga playing more as RW adding width on the other end.

Back 3 would allow Fred and De Jong to play with more freedom as well with the WB tucking in can allow one of those two to move forward with/without the ball
Doesn’t look a bad idea. Maguire can mask Martinez’s lack of height, and Martinez and Varane can mask Maguire’s lack of speed. We wouldn’t really be losing out on much in attack too considering Rashford’s lack of form. However, I’d definitely be looking to get a top attacker like Antony to play with Bruno/Eriksen, Ronaldo and Sancho in a 4-3-3, with Maguire out of the team instead.

Your idea sounds like a good go to for big games though.

youmeletsfly

It makes sense when you consider how injury prone they were last season, how Varane is made from glass, how shit Lindelof is and how dogshit maguire was last season. We need a strong spine, and a leader which this lad is compared to them
Fixed that for you a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.