Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
So then if City don't win it they will have bottled it for losing three games in a month?

I don't see how you can say either side has bottled the league if they both get over 95 points. You're making an assumption that City's form would fall off of a cliff even though they've pretty much dominated every side they've played this season, regardless of the result.
It's an odd season. With the expected points total for both clubs, it's of course incredibly harsh to accuse either team of bottling the title.

Buuuuuut, in the context of this season, and perhaps with the weight of Liverpool's title drought behind it, the only team that could perhaps be accused of "bottling" the title is Liverpool, should City win it. This is of course absurd, because it looks like even if City do win it, Liverpool are well on course to finish with a record number of points for a runner-up, having had a near perfect season, and the "bottling" will involve losing precisely one game, and drawing a couple more, at a time when the title looked as good as yours, to invite City back into the race, and put them back in pole position.

I think if this were, say, Chelsea, in Liverpool's position, there would be no talk of bottling. I think really, the talk of bottling comes from the last 30 odd years in which Liverpool haven't won a title.

FujiVice

If Liverpool dont win it this year, they might not for a while. Getting in the 90 points bracket and still not winning it would be unheard of in this country, and you'd think if you cant beat City with 90-odd points, you may never be able to. But to not give them credit for the achievement of battling to the very end is ridiculous. They've been fantastic, even if they dont win it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
You're an idiot if you call a team that's accumulated over 90 points in a season bottlers. Simple.
The only way I could see them bottling it is if we beat City for them, then Liverpool lose to Huddersfield or something. If they win all their remaining games, but city do the same you just have to hold your hands up and say fair fecks to both.

2 man midfield

If Liverpool dont win it this year, they might not for a while. Getting in the 90 points bracket and still not winning it would be unheard of in this country, and you'd think if you cant beat City with 90-odd points, you may never be able to. But to not give them credit for the achievement of battling to the very end is ridiculous. They've been fantastic, even if they dont win it.
Getting 89 was bad enough in 2012, but still not the most heartbreaking thing about it.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
City were 1st after 15 matches, therefore if they dont win they are bottlers.
Equating a 7 point lead with a 2 point lead, not to mention ignoring the context of the positions in the table.

At game week 15, Liverpool and City had cemented themselves as the title challengers this season. Barely conceding and blowing teams out of the water. Before the game against Liverpool, Man City had lost 3 in 6 and even a draw in that game would have been fine. Even after Liverpool failed to get a result against City, City lost to Newcastle shortly after and Liverpool's response was to draw two more games.

Liverpool were in the driving seat, they had City on the ropes and just needed to deal the killing blow. The didn't and brought City back into it. If City end up winning it, Liverpool caused their own downfall.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Equating a 7 point lead with a 2 point lead, not to mention ignoring the context of the positions in the table.

At game week 15, Liverpool and City had cemented themselves as the title challengers this season. Barely conceding and blowing teams out of the water. Before the game against Liverpool, Man City had lost 3 in 6 and even a draw in that game would have been fine. Even after Liverpool failed to get a result against City, City lost to Newcastle shortly after and Liverpool's response was to draw two more games.

Liverpool were in the driving seat, they had City on the ropes and just needed to deal the killing blow. The didn't and brought City back into it. If City end up winning it, Liverpool caused their own downfall.
Maybe you've forgotten what bottling means? You bottle something when you are ahead and end up losing.

2 man midfield

Maybe you've forgotten what bottling means? You bottle something when you are ahead and end up losing.
Which both have done tbf. But losing a 7 point lead with a succession of draws will live longer in the memory for most fans.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Liverpool if they don't win the league will be the only team in premiere league history to lose the title after leading in January. Liverpool have also done that multiple times.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yep. Aguero was spineless for being 3 inches offside. A lack of character me thinks.
Funny thing to say when City have been knocked out earlier than expected in every season of the CL under Guardiola. There is a strong case for a mental block in the CL for City.

Pav1878

That's guesswork though. City's form/performances under Guardiola over the last two years suggests they would've still managed at least 90 points.
This is so weird. A city fan and a Liverpool fan having a discussion about the title chase on a united forum. I mean, seriously, have you not got better things to do?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This is so weird. A city fan and a Liverpool fan having a discussion about the title chase on a united forum. I mean, seriously, have you not got better things to do?
I like this forum. Deal with it.

Paul_Scholes18

Sadly the true bottlers are us. We was top of the table after our friday win over Leicester. Sadly our title push did end fast and now we are 6th.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Expectations are tough on this forum! Neither City nor Liverpool have bottled anything related to the title race this season (so far). We've both drawn and lost some games we'd wish we hadn't, but so does every title-winner every season.

If City finish second, I'll still consider we had a fantastic season, but we would've been beaten by a better team. That's sport sometimes.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I am not a City fan. A salty mod changed my support tag. Could have put a city lover tag but they went the extra mile. I'll have to correct people on my support until a mod changes it back.

Treble

Liverpool haven't bottled anything. The only game they might regret come the end of the season was Leicester at home. But no team can choose the games in which it fails to win. Liverpool dropped only 6 pts in the first 20 games and it was only natural that they lost a bit of form January and February.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Giving a platform to fans of other clubs is the reason why redcafe is a football forum worth spending time on.

Treble

If City drop pts tomorrow I wonder whether Klopp will play a weaker team vs Barca in order to make sure that they beat Newcastle away which might be a tricky fixture. If he plays his best players against Barca, Newcastle and Wolves will become more difficult and risky.

Vadim

I don't think either City or Liverpool are going to bottle anything this season. Whoever wins the title will just mean that the best team has beat the other to the trophy.

Unless Liverpool's heads and asses go against Huddersfield at home. Which will never, ever, ever happen.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You'll celebrate for the rest of your lives? Party animals!
:lol: I did think the pre-2005 ones said it was only temporarily, but don't know how long.

I'd definitely miss the NFL thread though, ffs.

Can't see us ending up on less than 94 points right now. Newcastle away is (or should be) the only game with potential to drop points. Maybe Wolves as well if City is still in front of us by then since they'll never drop points against Brighton if they can win the title, but still... 97 points and not winning it would be cruel, albeit still something to be proud of.

Vadim

:lol: I did think the pre-2005 ones said it was only temporarily, but don't know how long.

I'd definitely miss the NFL thread though, ffs.

Can't see us ending up on less than 94 points right now. Newcastle away is (or should be) the only game with potential to drop points. Maybe Wolves as well if City is still in front of us by then since they'll never drop points against Brighton if they can win the title, but still... 97 points and not winning it would be cruel, albeit still something to be proud of.
First is first, second is nowhere. A great man once said this.

Sixth is oblivion.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If City drop pts tomorrow I wonder whether Klopp will play a weaker team vs Barca in order to make sure that they beat Newcastle away which might be a tricky fixture. If he plays his best players against Barca, Newcastle and Wolves will become more difficult and risky.
A team with benitez manager will never be a tough game for Liverpool!

Pav1878

Giving a platform to fans of other clubs is the reason why redcafe is a football forum worth spending time on.
Absolutely, just seems weird they wouldnt discuss it on either the Liverpool forum or the city forum.

I wouldn't discuss our title bid with say a Spurs fan on RAWK, that's just odd.

Pav1878

I am not a City fan. A salty mod changed my support tag. Could have put a city lover tag but they went the extra mile. I'll have to correct people on my support until a mod changes it back.
:lol:

Oh I see, those pesky Mods are always at it aren't they

Status
Not open for further replies.