Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

Before the Watford game. Ole said he think 15 points will get Utd in top 4.
So 12 required. So meaning he has wrote the City game off
Was that before or after the Watford match? That statement confused the heck out me - does he really expect 15 to guarantee top 4 given Arsenal’s and Spurs’ fixtures?

RochaRoja

OLE 'i have always followed Utd results since I've left. They are my team'
No Utd fans have forgot that Gerrrad back pass.
You can convince yourselves however much you want that Utd will beat City. It won't happen. Never ever!
He’s also a professional. At this stage of his career, when he’s still very inexperienced at the top level it would be very unwise and unprofessional of him to send his team out not to win a match, especially one against the best team in the country when he is in a very tight battle for a place in next seasons Champions League.

It’s all irrelevant really because City should win comfortably no matter what United do but it’s daft to think that people who actually make a living out of the game are as small time and petty as fans.

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
After what happened yesterday I am starting to think they will win it, I never thought of that before, I thought their lack of depth compared to City's was going to be the difference in our favour but it hasn't been the case. I believe they will win all their games and we will fail to win all of our games... I an dreading the thoughts of losing at OT and before that we have 3 games against Spurs. Not sure, I see it very difficult right now.

Josh 76

He’s also a professional. At this stage of his career, when he’s still very inexperienced at the top level it would be very unwise and unprofessional of him to send his team out not to win a match, especially one against the best team in the country when he is in a very tight battle for a place in next seasons Champions League.

It’s all irrelevant really because City should win comfortably no matter what United do but it’s daft to think that people who actually make a living out of the game are as small time and petty as fans.
So it's okay when Beneitez will send his Newcastle team out and roll over for Liverpool?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
While I disagree that Liverpool have been simply ‘lucky’ this season, I do think they have had the breaks at the right moments and failure to win the league this season would be a huge opportunity missed as it can go the other way sometimes.

UDontMessWith24

OLE 'i have always followed Utd results since I've left. They are my team'
No Utd fans have forgot that Gerrrad back pass.
You can convince yourselves however much you want that Utd will beat City. It won't happen. Never ever!
So in your opinion, Ole, having recently been given at three year contract at his dream job and fighting for a CL spot, doesn’t care about winning a Manchester derby? Asinine even by fan message board standards.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
While I disagree that Liverpool have been simply ‘lucky’ this season, I do think they have had the breaks at the right moments and failure to win the league this season would be a huge opportunity missed as it can go the other way sometimes.
Yeah this is accurate. In a typical season where Liverpool and City had both performed as they had done this season, I'd say City would on average be enjoying the luxury of four or five points difference in the table. As it stands we are two points behind with a game in hand at home to Cardiff. Liverpool have had some very fortuitous moments at the best possible time which is what has kept them right up there. Yet the lucky narrative is somewhat misleading as they've forced a lot of these fortuitous moments through their quality. Yesterday, for instance, they got very lucky to win with the Lloris mistake and the subsequent own goal but that's always a possibility when you are constantly delivering quality balls into dangerous areas. Alexander-Arnold's corner about ten minutes before was hit beautifully and could have bounced anywhere but luckily fell right into Lloris's hands.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah this is accurate. In a typical season where Liverpool and City had both performed as they had done this season, I'd say City would on average be enjoying the luxury of four or five points difference in the table. As it stands we are two points behind with a game in hand at home to Cardiff. Liverpool have had some very fortuitous moments at the best possible time which is what has kept them right up there. Yet the lucky narrative is somewhat misleading as they've forced a lot of these fortuitous moments through their quality. Yesterday, for instance, they got very lucky to win with the Lloris mistake and the subsequent own goal but that's always a possibility when you are constantly delivering quality balls into dangerous areas. Alexander-Arnold's corner about ten minutes before was hit beautifully and could have bounced anywhere but luckily fell right into Lloris's hands.
Good point. You can't win the raffle if you don't buy a ticket.

Josh 76

So in your opinion, Ole, having recently been given at three year contract at his dream job and fighting for a CL spot, doesn’t care about winning a Manchester derby? Asinine even by fan message board standards.
No. What I'm saying is , if Utd lose, it won't hurt as much to Ole, some of the players and fans. In this mind set, the focus won't be 100% , which then gives the advantage to City.
Obviously no one goes out to lose, but the hunger for the victory won't be as much as in normal circumstances.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
No. What I'm saying is , if Utd lose, it won't hurt as much to Ole, some of the players and fans. In this mind set, the focus won't be 100% , which then gives the advantage to City.
Obviously no one goes out to lose, but the hunger for the victory won't be as much as in normal circumstances.
I think the hunger will be there, but the fans won't be as disappointed as they would normally be after a derby defeat if they do lose.

Josh 76

I think the hunger will be there, but the fans won't be as disappointed as they would normally be after a derby defeat if they do lose.
Hunger may be the wrong word to use. I would say concentration levels will be different. With half of the crowd wanting City to win. The atmosphere will be different to want Utd players are use to. The media build up will be different too. The Utd will be effected by this in some way.
Also Utd have Chelsea few days later. That is a game we have to win. So Ole will be thinking about that game and it will effect his team selection for the City game too

UDontMessWith24

The hunger for victory aside from it being a derby will come as a result of the implementation of finishing 5th or 6th as opposed to 3rd or 4th.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Good point. You can't win the raffle if you don't buy a ticket.
Leading on from that, I don't think enough has been made of the quality Liverpool possess when it comes to delivering dangerous balls. Robertson's cross for Firmino's goal the obvious example but TAA as I mentioned whipped in numerous crosses that were horrible for Spurs to defend against. It's one of the assets in which Liverpool clearly best City (it doesn't help that de Bruyne has missed most of the season as he is by a mile our best player at this) and I reckon a key reason why you are currently top. I think part of the reason it gets downplayed is that much of it comes from your full-backs and it's not very 'vogue' to start hyping up the passing ability of two British full-backs.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Liverpool have had the best CB (VVD) and fullback (Robertson), and overall best defense.

If they win the league this season then it will just be an example of whoever said "defenses win titles" being spot on.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Leading on from that, I don't think enough has been made of the quality Liverpool possess when it comes to delivering dangerous balls. Robertson's cross for Firmino's goal the obvious example but TAA as I mentioned whipped in numerous crosses that were horrible for Spurs to defend against. It's one of the assets in which Liverpool clearly best City (it doesn't help that de Bruyne has missed most of the season as he is by a mile our best player at this) and I reckon a key reason why you are currently top. I think part of the reason it gets downplayed is that much of it comes from your full-backs and it's not very 'vogue' to start hyping up the passing ability of two British full-backs.

You're right, though. The difference between our full backs is pretty similar to the difference between our midfields - yours is simply a cut above. Plus you've a lot more offensive depth, which tips you over the edge for me... Although actually, thinking about it, it might be defensive crosses.

I win some decent cash if you lot win the title, so hey :D Exciting race.

Treble

Liverpool have had the best CB (VVD) and fullback (Robertson), and overall best defense.

If they win the league this season then it will just be an example of whoever said "defenses win titles" being spot on.
Defences alone win nothing as you have to score to get 3 pts. Actually, you have to score a lot of goals to stand a proper chance for the title. Real won 3 consecutive CL titles with a leaking defence. Ronaldo's goals made the difference. It's not like Liverpool don't score many goals. They will go over 80 goals which is prety good.

Btw, Liverpool have conceded only 2 goals fewer than City this season. Maybe there hasn't been much between both teams defensively wise.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Defences alone win nothing as you have to score to get 3 pts. Actually, you have to score a lot of goals to stand a proper chance for the title. Real won 3 consecutive CL titles with a leaking defence. Ronaldo's goals made the difference. It's not like Liverpool don't score many goals. They will go over 80 goals which is prety good.

Btw, Liverpool have conceded only 2 goals fewer than City this season. Maybe there hasn't been much between both teams defensively wise.
That's a pedatic argument. No one would argue that 38 0-0s would win a title. With Salah, Firm and Mane you have enough goals. But the defense has had a huge impact. Also, I distinguish between league titles and cup comps. Real have won about 1 title in the past 7 years or so. Not good.

And it's not like Liverpool didn't score last year. They did. They just had Karius, Moreno and Lovren in defense. Unfortunately they upgraded.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You're right, though. The difference between our full backs is pretty similar to the difference between our midfields - yours is simply a cut above. Plus you've a lot more offensive depth, which tips you over the edge for me... Although actually, thinking about it, it might be defensive crosses.

I win some decent cash if you lot win the title, so hey :D Exciting race.
It is but it's not good for the heart. I made the mistake of watching the second half of yesterday's game. I don't know about you but I genuinely find it more nerve-wracking at this stage of the season watching Liverpool games than I do watching City. My range of emotions experienced yesterday was greater than when watching City play Fulham on Saturday. I suppose the magnitude of the games were different but I still find it less stressful watching City at the moment.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
We have had a massive slice of luck in 3 or 4 games this season that has directly led to us winning the game. That said, we have forced our luck sometimes. We keep pushing forward until the end and that fight mixed wih the quality we have gives us an edge.
Put this Liverpool and Man City team up against each other over 100 seasons and City would probably win 90 of them. The fact that we're still so close to them with only 6 games left is testament to our work ethic, our coaching and our defence. Plenty said that Klopp was too stubborn or stupid to change his tactics but he did and we're now fighting for the league. For what it's worth, I still think Ciy will edge it but it's closer than anyone thought it would be and I can wait to see if what we have done turns out to be enough

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
We have had a massive slice of luck in 3 or 4 games this season that has directly led to us winning the game. That said, we have forced our luck sometimes. We keep pushing forward until the end and that fight mixed wih the quality we have gives us an edge.
Put this Liverpool and Man City team up against each other over 100 seasons and City would probably win 90 of them. The fact that we're still so close to them with only 6 games left is testament to our work ethic, our coaching and our defence. Plenty said that Klopp was too stubborn or stupid to change his tactics but he did and we're now fighting for the league. For what it's worth, I still think Ciy will edge it but it's closer than anyone thought it would be and I can wait to see if what we have done turns out to be enough
Fair post. Credit to the scouts and Klopp for strengthening in areas that needed it. The buys have all been very good, except for, surprisingly , Keita.

Treble

That's a pedatic argument. No one would argue that 38 0-0s would win a title. With Salah, Firm and Mane you have enough goals. But the defense has had a huge impact. Also, I distinguish between league titles and cup comps. Real have won about 1 title in the past 7 years or so. Not good.

And it's not like Liverpool didn't score last year. They did. They just had Karius, Moreno and Lovren in defense. Unfortunately they upgraded.
It's not pedantic, just common sense. For our last title we conceded 43 goals (that's a lot!) but scored 86 and comfortably won it with 89 pts. RVP made a big difference. What you say is that Liverpool's defence might win them the title. Which is not completely wrong but puts too strong emphasis on one side of their game. Truth is it's the good balance between attack and defence, the quality in both phases of the game that might win them the title. Same with City, this is why they won 100 pts last season. This season City might concede fewer goals than last season but still fall well short of 100 pts.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
It would be fun to watch though , with Martial and Lingard at CB , Shaw and Rashford CM and Valencia RB . Proper sabotage .
Lingard doing his Emirates dance before a goal is scored.

Josh 76

It would be fun to watch though , with Martial and Lingard at CB , Shaw and Rashford CM and Valencia RB . Proper sabotage .
OLE needs to start with Sanchez, Rojo, Valencia and Pereira against City. We need to give them game time for the run in.

montpelier

I haven't double checked this but

LFC vs NotTop6 Teams = W 20 D 3 L 0 GD 62-11 (possibly)

where are all these points likely being dropped?

montpelier

City 19-1-3 GD 71-17

that is very unchecked

you could say City have had a few 'silly' results (relatively speaking)

slack at the back in some games compared to LFC's once conceding 3 but bailed out by Palace having Speroni in nets

Josh 76

City 19-1-3 GD 71-17

that is very unchecked

you could say City have had a few 'silly' results (relatively speaking)

slack at the back in some games compared to LFC's once conceding 3 but bailed out by Palace having Speroni in nets
Those two silly results over xmas will probably cost City the title. How the feck do you lose to palace and Leicester back to back.

BaseFishing

Question to the experienced caf members: what will this place look like during our game against City? Will people actually be wanting us to lose? Just curious.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Question to the experienced caf members: what will this place look like during our game against City? Will people actually be wanting us to lose? Just curious.
So What will you be wanting ?

Josh 76

Yes. Silly question
But then again. I hate Liverpool more than I support Utd.
Sad, but true

montpelier

yes, I think so - I think you can count me in to that too but I don't feel great about it & can accept the other view quite is pretty valid

I'll be avoiding arguing about it too - in fact it's all best avoided

thinking about it
deciding it's a loss-loss-loss situation
then the shame
then Liverpool winning the League anyway

hard place or rock, take your pick

montpelier

In re-thinking it, not sure there's that much degradation in quality.
Glad you've got fired back up. I was worried.

And the banhammer is a-coming for you anyway, might as well get stuck in before you go, innit?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Kindly tell us what you will be wanting first ?

Status
Not open for further replies.