Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh 76

That's fair comment, and I dont believe for a minute that any of the Utd managing or playing staff would purposely throw any game.

It still doesn't help me understand the mindset of a supporter who wants to lose to City, so Liverpool dont win the league, despite knowing it could cost his own club a place in next seasons Champions League.

I just dont get that at all.
Ask Steven Gerrard

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Blue moon's "Liverpool 18/19" thread is 1600 pages, gents. I guess they hate us better than you now too.
How many posts do they have in a page though? This place has 40 but some other places have 10.

Josh 76

Gary Neville summed it up nicely when asked about Utds run in on MNF.
Basically saying Utd can't play their strongest 11 in their next 4 matches in 11 days.
The Baracalona game ole will play his strongest 11.
The most winnable game is Everton. So will play his strongest team.
The Chelsea game is a six pointer and Utd have to win.
So the only game left to rotate the team will be the City game.
The look on Carragher's face.:lol:

Treble

Gary Neville summed it up nicely when asked about Utds run in on MNF.
Basically saying Utd can't play their strongest 11 in their next 4 matches in 11 days.
The Baracalona game ole will play his strongest 11.
The most winnable game is Everton. So will play his strongest team.
The Chelsea game is a six pointer and Utd have to win.
So the only game left to rotate the team will be the City game.
The look on Carragher's face.:lol:
He's right in the sense that if we win the other 4 games and lose from City, we are still quite likely to make the top 4. But if we lose/draw against Everton, a win or at least a draw vs City becomes mandatory. The team vs City will depend on the result vs Everton. Still, Ole will have to freshen things up and rotate, no doubt about it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
With or without rotation, I think you're currently just not playing good enough to get anything against City either way.

They might rotate a bit as well since it'll be their third game in 7 days but their bench is so strong that it doesn't really matter.

Josh 76

He's right in the sense that if we win the other 4 games and lose from City, we are still quite likely to make the top 4. But if we lose/draw against Everton, a win or at least a draw vs City becomes mandatory. The team vs City will depend on the result vs Everton. Still, Ole will have to freshen things up and rotate, no doubt about it.
Of course, but Ole can't play his strongest 11 in 3 games in 7 days.
So no matter if we win or lose against Everton, Utds team against City won't be as strong.

Josh 76

With or without rotation, I think you're currently just not playing good enough to get anything against City either way.

They might rotate a bit as well since it'll be their third game in 7 days but their bench is so strong that it doesn't really matter.
City rotating does not effect their first 11 as much as any other team. That's why they will beat Spurs in the league aswel. Spurs just haven't got the squad to make changes and not effect their first 11 massively.

Siorac

Can you really blame them though? 30 years without a title must be fecking unbearable. At the moment this is shaping up to be even better than 13/14. Best case scenario - United beat City to give liverpool a massive boost & get themselves top 4. Liverpool then lose to Wolves on the final day losing the league to City. City go on to the Champions League final and get destroyed by a Ronaldo masterclass :drool:

Although sadly, I don't see Liverpool dropping any points - hopefully City are pumped up by Salah's Naivety in his post match comments saying LFC will be champions if they win the last 4 games.
That is the one thing in your scenario that is definitely NOT going to happen.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Yep. We deserved nothing against West Ham at the weekend where City were always in control against a stubborn Palace side. If we give De Bruyne and Sterling the space we gave to Anderson et al then the scoreline is going to be ugly.

You've got to just hope we raise our game because it's a derby but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Siorac

Not really. If we lose to City then Arsenal will have to lose two games (or drop points in three) for us to finish ahead of them. Basically, they can't get more than 9 points out of 15. While it's not impossible, it's also far from 'quite likely'.

La Pulga

Supports
Barcelona
I am living in Cairo and I can't describe how it is going on currently :mad: The whole fecking country is supporting Liverpool as a call of duty. Actually, people scream and hug each other once they score and you can't imagine what happens when Salah scores. I'll have to hide for a long time if they win it as I am the public enemy and traitor amongst my friends :D How dare me hate Liverpool while Salah is playing for them?!! I know you meet true Liverpool fans a lot, but for me because of Salah it is really like hell being a Liverpool hater. FFS, they totally believe Salah is at least on Messi's level while being a better big game player who is playing for a weaker team than Barcelona

Reactions: Sultan

Treble

Not really. If we lose to City then Arsenal will have to lose two games (or drop points in three) for us to finish ahead of them. Basically, they can't get more than 9 points out of 15. While it's not impossible, it's also far from 'quite likely'.
I don't think Arsenal are that good. With EL semis quite probable now, they are likely to drop more pts than expected. Wolves, Leicester, Burnley away - not easy. And Palace at home too.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
United game wont matter much if Spurs managed to take some points from City this weekend in that case it will be back in Liverpool's hand. But this City team as Pep said is like a machine and they can easily will remaining 5 games. so at the moment we all hope that City slips somewhere and we dont.

Siorac

I don't think Arsenal are that good. With EL semis quite probable now, they are likely to drop more pts than expected. Wolves, Leicester, Burnley away - not easy. And Palace at home too.
Win three, draw one, lose one - that's hardly an outstanding record against these teams. And if they do that, we can't afford to lose to City even if we win all the other games.

We're unlikely to make top four. Persisting with Mourinho left us with a mountain to climb and now the points dropped at Arsenal and Wolves where we had the chances to get something out of both games will likely cost us dearly despite the dramatic improvement since December.

Treble

Win three, draw one, lose one - that's hardly an outstanding record against these teams. And if they do that, we can't afford to lose to City even if we win all the other games.

We're unlikely to make top four. Persisting with Mourinho left us with a mountain to climb and now the points dropped at Arsenal and Wolves where we had the chances to get something out of both games will likely cost us dearly despite the dramatic improvement since December.
I agree that Arsenal are more likely to get top 4 than us. But I wouldn't be surpsrised if they won 2, drew 2 and lost 1. This would take them to 74 pts. We can get 74 pts if we win 3, draw 1 and lose 1. Now, Arsenal have better GD. But we can hammer Huddersfield and especially Cardiff, so it's not highly unlikely to make the top 4 albeit Arsenal are favourites to do it.

Last edited:

Siorac

I agree that Arsenal are more likely to get top 4 than us. But I wouldn't be surpsrised if they won 2, drew 2 and lost 1. This would take them to 74 pts. We can get 74 pts if we win 3, draw 1 and lose 1. Now, Arsenal have better GD. But we can hammer Huddersfield and especially Cardiff, so it's not highly unlikely to make the top 4 albeit Arsenal are favourites to do it.
Our biggest margin of victory this season was four goals, once. Making up 7 goals in goal difference over 5 games is not going to happen. We have to get more points than Arsenal.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Unless two sets of miracles are on the cards it looks like we will be playing Barcelona in the semi final and I’m a bit apprehensive of the prospect of a Messi masterclass. We can be proud of the fact that we are the only English club not to have received a spanking from him, but that’s because we only played them once when he was still a pup. I’m not saying both clubs are through already, but how do people see that tie going? I think we would struggle more against Utd tbh. Tonight will answer some questions.

Raw

Unless two sets of miracles are on the cards it looks like we will be playing Barcelona in the semi final and I’m a bit apprehensive of the prospect of a Messi masterclass. We can be proud of the fact that we are the only English club not to have received a spanking from him, but that’s because we only played them once when he was still a pup. I’m not saying both clubs are through already, but how do people see that tie going? I think we would struggle more against Utd tbh. Tonight will answer some questions.
It'll be really close but I think you'll scrape through on away goals. Something like a 1-0 win at Anfield and 1-2 loss at Nou Camp.

If it was between us two, feck knows. The only thing I do know is that I'll be shitting gallons every day until the match.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
It'll be really close but I think you'll scrape through on away goals. Something like a 1-0 win at Anfield and 1-2 loss at Nou Camp.

If it was between us two, feck knows. The only thing I do know is that I'll be shitting gallons every day until the match.
I think similar but you just never know with Barcelona and Messi. Yeah he’s not the same player he once was but I don’t bet against players like him. Mind you, I’m sure VVD can muster up a Mike Smalling Jabroni forearm on the wee fella, perhaps accidentally.

I don’t want to play you lot under any circumstances, It’s going to be two cautious games and I'll be too anxious to enjoy the game because losing won’t be an option. Simple as.

Varun

Staff
I see you beating Barca comfortably barring an absolute Messi masterclass. We'll be much tougher opponents.

DAV771

Supports
Newport County
I'd rather have Barca if I was an LFC fan purely because they struggle against teams who sit back. I've not watched much La Liga this season but I'd assume Barca would come out and attack Liverpool in both legs whereas United would sit back and try and hit on the counter, particularly at Anfield.

This isn't designed to be a dig at united parking the bus, they're just not currently as good as Liverpool or Barca so would have to set their gameplan accordingly. I could see United knocking Liverpool out if they do manage to get past Barca. Especially if Liverpool haven't fecked the league up by then.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I'd rather have Barca if I was an LFC fan purely because they struggle against teams who sit back. I've not watched much La Liga this season but I'd assume Barca would come out and attack Liverpool in both legs whereas United would sit back and try and hit on the counter, particularly at Anfield.

This isn't designed to be a dig at united parking the bus, they're just not currently as good as Liverpool or Barca so would have to set their gameplan accordingly. I could see United knocking Liverpool out if they do manage to get past Barca. Especially if Liverpool haven't fecked the league up by then.
Nah facing United would be tougher for us, I can’t even imagine the pain I would endure losing a semi final against United. It would be awful, I would rather take Barca that’s me decided. Let’s see what Ole and the boys are made of.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper

20,000 seats are also very strong as they've never been used.

DAV771

Supports
Newport County
Nah facing United would be tougher for us, I can’t even imagine the pain I would endure losing a semi final against United. It would be awful, I would rather take Barca that’s me decided. Let’s see what Ole and the boys are made of.
Well yes, that's what I'm saying, United would be the tougher of the two for Liverpool.

Stacks

We all need to rally together to prevent this at all costs. SAF spoke about knocking them off their perch, the momentum they could get from a title win and CL final back to back seasons isn't something I want to even think about.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Well yes, that's what I'm saying, United would be the tougher of the two for Liverpool.
Yep I stand corrected I read your post wrong. Us coming away from Old Trafford goalless gives me even more fear they can hold out on us if we are not on our game. Barca and players like Lenglet and Pique can be got at more imo.

Suedesi

Didnt Liverpool did the same to all conquering Man City last season? Then repeat it again over two legged Champions league tie? LIverpool finished all those matches in matter of 10-15 minutes. That Man City was much better than Mourinho's Madrid as a team. Dortmund did end up conceding 4 goals in that tie. This Liverpool team wouldnt concede 4 atleast not this season.
This City is nowhere close, the overrating of English sides is ridiculous. That Madrid team, with a few changes, won 4 CL in 5 years, let's see what City win over the next decade.

And no, Dortmund won 4-1 and conceded 2 goals in injury time when the tie was pretty much over and Lewa and Reus were toying with Sergio Ramos and Casillas all game long.

Paul_Scholes18

Yep I stand corrected I read your post wrong. Us coming away from Old Trafford goalless gives me even more fear they can hold out on us if we are not on our game. Barca and players like Lenglet and Pique can be got at more imo.
Yeah I do think it would be very close and tight if we play each other. Not sure I can deal with it since it would be far too tense in a semi final.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I do think it would be very close and tight if we play each other. Not sure I can deal with it since it would be far too tense in a semi final.
Exactly, not enjoyable. The only way I would choose it is if you guys go through tonight with about 5 suspensions, just to make sure we’ll go through :lol:.

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
We've arguably had bigger summers when we've not been in the top four.
The last time we didn't have champions league football we signed Pogba and Ibra, the time before that we signed Di Maria.
But thats why you overpaid for those players and also have to offer extra-orbitant wages. Two reason why even after spending second most money in transfer in last 7 years and paying most wages or second most wages you are still nowhere near the top two spots. The Utd tax(extra money you have to pay for signings and wages) people here talk about is nothing more than premium you have to pay for not playing CL. Not qualifying for champions league makes club less attractive to potential signings. To convince them, you have to pay them more money. Also you lose out on Champions league anywhere between 50 to 90 millions. 90 millions can buy 2 Kevin De Bruynes or 3 Salahs or Van Dijk, Robertson and Shaqiri. In 90 millions you can get rid of mourinho 3 times with still enough money to hire OGS.

For example lets assume if Manchester United is in Champions league they have the financial strength of signing 6 players with average price of 50 millions each with average wage of lets say 160K/week Whereas if you are not in champions league you will be limited to sign only 4 players out of 6 targets by paying on average 60 millions each while offering 200K/week. Because of the fact that you are already aware of lack of profit next season due to no champions league. As big as Man Utd is, no champions league effects the brand of Man Utd and it also effects Man Utd's share prices.

This City is nowhere close, the overrating of English sides is ridiculous. That Madrid team, with a few changes, won 4 CL in 5 years, let's see what City win over the next decade.

And no, Dortmund won 4-1 and conceded 2 goals in injury time when the tie was pretty much over and Lewa and Reus were toying with Sergio Ramos and Casillas all game long.
By couple of changes you meant 3 new midfielders(Kross, Casemiro, Isco), 2 fullbacks (Marcelo and Carvajal) , Bale and Varane (Who did played in that tie but was too young to be useful) . That is 7 changes in playing eleven. While selling, Khedira, Alonso, Higuan, Ozil, Di Maria, Kaka, Casillas, Illaramendi, jese rodriguez and some other lesser known names. So basically 7 in and 7 out, I will say they overhauled their squad because they didnt win much in that period. Except for maybe league title and copa del rey.

Look 5 changes turned city into top four contenders to 100 point team. ( Stones, Walker, Gundogan, Sane and Mendy(who didnt played much last season)). Two more signings (Laporte and Mahrez) and they are challenging for quadruple. 7 signings for liverpool in two years have made them pose challenge for CL two years in row and premier league thus year (Robertson, Salah, VVD, Alisson, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri (even when last two have barely played ) )

Suedesi

By couple of changes you meant 3 new midfielders(Kross, Casemiro, Isco), 2 fullbacks (Marcelo and Carvajal) , Bale and Varane (Who did played in that tie but was too young to be useful) . That is 7 changes in playing eleven. While selling, Khedira, Alonso, Higuan, Ozil, Di Maria, Kaka, Casillas, Illaramendi, jese rodriguez and some other lesser known names. So basically 7 in and 7 out, I will say they overhauled their squad because they didnt win much in that period. Except for maybe league title and copa del rey.

Look 5 changes turned city into top four contenders to 100 point team. ( Stones, Walker, Gundogan, Sane and Mendy(who didnt played much last season)). Two more signings (Laporte and Mahrez) and they are challenging for quadruple. 7 signings for liverpool in two years have made them pose challenge for CL two years in row and premier league thus year (Robertson, Salah, VVD, Alisson, Fabinho, Keita, Shaqiri (even when last two have barely played ) )
Real Madrid's starting line-up:
Diego Lopez, Varane, Pepe, Ramos, Coentrao, Khedira, Alonso, Ozil, Ronaldo, Modric, Higuain
Kaka, Benzema, Di Maria came as subs.

So fundamentally, it's the same quality. Yes, you can't have the exact same players playing 5 years on, but there aren't 7 changes you claim to be. The key players: Ronaldo, Ramos, Modric, Varane, Casillas, Benzema, Di Maria, Alonso, Marcelo were all there (including Marcelo and Varane which you've conveniently removed). Ozil, Khedira, Higuain were top class at that time. Khedira/Casemiro, Alonso/Kross are interchangeable. Isco, Carvajal and Bale are good, but not good enough to earn 4 CL on their own.

I know the media loves to overhype City with quadruple and all that jazz, but they've had such an easy ride so far:

FA Cup, they've met no strong teams. Compare to United's route for example.
League cup, no strong teams until Chelsea in the final - scrapped by on penalties.
CL, easiest group and still lost 2 matches already. Come back after they make it past a CL semifinal.

Josh 76

If all your hopes of winning the PL title is for Utd to beat City...all I can say is :lol::lol::lol:

Centenary Boy

Supports
Liverpool
Logically, we should prefer playing United, as they are a considerably worse team than Barcelona or us; but I still didn't want to face the prospect of playing them in the semis (assuming we complete the job against Porto).

Status
Not open for further replies.