Liverpool are a mess

ManRed

Liverpool have spent approx €400mn in 3 transfer window. Cant complain for not spending anymore. I think they finish 4th after Caicedo arrival. Their squad is still thin and have europa league to deal with.

stevoc

Liverpool have spent approx €400mn in 3 transfer window. Cant complain for not spending anymore. I think they finish 4th after Caicedo arrival. Their squad is still thin and have europa league to deal with.
But what's the Net Spend Lad?

Liverpool are the reigning net spend champions.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
in 2016 I'd have never paid over a fiver for a pint of lager, that ship has sailed, 7 years is a long time, especially the way football prices have inflated.
Yes, but you probably wouldn't have made that claim publicly just because you were bitter someone else in the bar had done it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They're not there yet but have done a pretty nice job rebuilding this side.

Dias (26)
Jota (26)
Nunez (24)
Gakpo (24)
TAA (24)
MacAllister (24)
Konate (24)
Szoboslai (22)
Caicedo (21)

That is a nice core of early-mid 20s players. Probably only Arsenal has a better early-mid 20s core at this point (Chelsea might in a couple years if some of their teenagers develop well).
Yeah, they tend to get their recruitment spot on. I think they'll be back challenging City this year.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They have little midfield depth with only Jones, Elliot, Bajetic and Thiago. Three young players who haven't looked like world class talents and a perpetually injured player.

Also, Szoboszlai is not that good a player. Spending 100m plus on one player in midfield is mad considering their lack of quality depth.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Yes, but you probably wouldn't have made that claim publicly just because you were bitter someone else in the bar had done it.
ha, I actually use to always say it, being a grumpy old git, now I draw the line at £6, that's life. The fact £50m was brought in for two midfielders who were spent in the PL definitely makes it easier to justify

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Op don’t gone and fecked up :lol: If they sign Caicedo they’d have arguably done better business than us altogether this window. They lucked out with the Saudis taking Fabinho and
Klopp is lucky bastard. Lost Lavia because of few mil and then got Caicedo who is twice the player.

VivaRonaldo85

So they’ve spent over £200 million on 3 midfielders. Don’t ever let me hear that narrative that Liverpool ‘punch above their weight’ and ‘can’t compete with the big boys’. What with Arsenal splurging £105 million on Rice too, our one addition in midfield looks very feeble now.

cafecillos

in 2016 I'd have never paid over a fiver for a pint of lager, that ship has sailed, 7 years is a long time, especially the way football prices have inflated.
2016 is not 1998 though, in fact only one year later a player was signed for €222m. Also, £89m is not £110m, it's almost 25% more. They are similar amounts all things considered, no matter how you want to spin it. And yes, Klopp is very obviously a massive whinging hypocrite, but we already knew that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So fee is 127 mil euros? Straight cash? From 100 mil which Brighton wanted to 127 mil. Bloody hell

saivet

Will be a great signing but a messy transfer pursuit for a DM. Spent ages counting pennies for Lavia only to fork out a huge late bid for Caidedo. It will probably work out for them but still a bit of a mess...of sorts

Ahmer Baig

From "Liverpool are a mess" to "Liverpool are title contenders" in space of few hours.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it’s fair to say they’ve finally spent all the Coutinho money.

Skills

Snitch
They have little midfield depth with only Jones, Elliot, Bajetic and Thiago. Three young players who haven't looked like world class talents and a perpetually injured player.

Also, Szoboszlai is not that good a player. Spending 100m plus on one player in midfield is mad considering their lack of quality depth.
Depth is so overrated. Outside of Guardiola, all other managers play the same XI week-in week-out where possible.

Spark

If you think Liverpool are looking hot shit, they’re currently 7/1 to win the league on Skybet. Personally think those odds will collapse once they win a few games, so worth a tenner now.

erikcred

Are they using City's accountants or something to make this work? They don't have CL, but splurge like this. That's after spending 100m+last year too, most of that on a squad player.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
He wants Chelsea and they can easily afford him. I don't yet see this Liverpool thing happening. It's just the owners trying to convince the fans that they really really tried to sign him, but sadly they were outbid.
This post aged rather fast :(

IRELANDUNITED

Bellingham actually cost less than Caicedo. So they whole “we couldn’t afford him” was obviously BS. He just didn’t want to go there, thank god he didn’t want to go to to Liverpool, Caicedo is decent but not on the level of Bellingham

Lights Out

I think they’ve had a better couple of windows than we have.

If I was given the choice in January of Mount & Hojlund or Caicedo & Gakpo then I would definitely have gone with the latter.

Depressing news

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
If you remove Salah from their team they become average.

I think we should hope for a bad season from him.

Nevertheless they have completely rebuit their midfield in a window.

They will be a threat this season

Member 101269

So, Liverpool spend £200m this year, £120m 2022/23, miss out on CL for 23/24 and struggled in comps in 22/23 which hits revenue. While their annual reports for 21/22 shows debt increasing and cash decreasing.

I'm looking forward to seeing the next 2 years accounts

Care_de_Bobo

If I was given the choice in January of Mount & Hojlund or Caicedo & Gakpo then I would definitely have gone with the latter.

Depressing news
I would have taken Caicedo in a heartbeat, but another forward who is best coming from the left is absolutely not what we needed and I'm happy we got Hojlund instead.

They also spent about £30m more on those two combined. It does helps when you get a nice helping hand from Saudi Arabia paying ridiculous sums for your dead wood in order to finance those kind of deals.

LordSpud

So, Liverpool spend £200m this year, £120m 2022/23, miss out on CL for 23/24 and struggled in comps in 22/23 which hits revenue. While their annual reports for 21/22 shows debt increasing and cash decreasing.

We had it for many years - miss out on CL and spend a shit ton to get back in it. However, knowing that lot, FSG will just sell to Qatar when the going gets tough.

cyberman

Depressing news
Judging players before they’ve even kicked a ball for either club?
Meanwhile one club is in EL and the other in CL

Member 101269

We had it for many years - miss out on CL and spend a shit ton to get back in it. However, knowing that lot, FSG will just sell to Qatar when the going gets tough.
The point being their revenue model is, in part, based on on field success. Our is more proportionately based on sponsorship, so their lack of success over several seasons should hit them very hard.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Net spend < 50m last year, as usual (no, I don't think that's a positive. It reflects terribly on FSG).

I reckon we're spending more this season because six midfielders leaving (seven if you include Carvalho on loan) and being replaced by three (with two of the midfield group being below 20) has opened up some leeway in our wage packet.

Josh 76

If you remove Salah from their team they become average.

I think we should hope for a bad season from him.

Nevertheless they have completely rebuit their midfield in a window.

They will be a threat this season
They have rebuilt it in on paper, let's see if they have rebuilt it on the pitch.

Loon

:lol:
I love "Net Spend" since Moh on AFTV used to brandish it like a suit of noble armour in a sea of rampant profligacy and financial chaos.

Member 101269

Net spend < 50m last year, as usual (no, I don't think that's a positive. It reflects terribly on FSG).

I reckon we're spending more this season because six midfielders leaving (seven if you include Carvalho on loan) and being replaced by three (with two of the midfield group being below 20) has opened up some leeway in our wage packet.
Net spend last year 22/23, but you're considering the decrease in perfomance based revenue e.g. need to do well in competitions. Yes, i acknowledge net for a few season was 50m.. The point being, you don't have more, you have less coming in and more going out..

Josh 76

They're not there yet but have done a pretty nice job rebuilding this side.

Dias (26)
Jota (26)
Nunez (24)
Gakpo (24)
TAA (24)
MacAllister (24)
Konate (24)
Szoboslai (22)
Caicedo (21)

That is a nice core of early-mid 20s players. Probably only Arsenal has a better early-mid 20s core at this point (Chelsea might in a couple years if some of their teenagers develop well).
It's a shame for them Klopp will be gone well before these players peak. Then the new manager will start the rebuild all over again!