Liverpool barred from playing CL match in Leipzig

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The obvious solution would be to simply remove liverpool from the competition entirely, allowing Leipzeig freely advance to the next round.

I mean it's Liverpool, would you really miss them? No, exactly.

RedDevil@84

If the first leg does not happen, Pool win 3-0??
Wouldn't that mean Pool have an upper hand in the negotiation on a neutral venue. Or will UEFA have a say in it?

ShinjiNinja26

The obvious solution would be to simply remove liverpool from the competition entirely, allowing Leipzeig freely advance to the next round.

Sounds good to me. They should also be striped of their CL titles as well, just because... it’s Liverpool innit.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
If the first leg does not happen, Pool win 3-0??
Wouldn't that mean Pool have an upper hand in the negotiation on a neutral venue. Or will UEFA have a say in it?
I don't think Liverpool would have the right to refuse a suitable location, Leipzig has to present one to UEFA until Monday night, and if UEFA accepts I don't think a negotiation with Liverpool is involved.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It is. But it's no different than the rules you would apply to your own house. You don't want people coming over from somewhere in case they bring it with them. But it's ok to allow people go there and back again?
The guys who decide this aren't omnipotent, as far as I know it's the local public health office of the City of Leipzig that makes this decision. The club will have asked them if they can find a solution to host Liverpool and they got turned down.
Why precisely they did it I don't know, could have political reasons, could be because they don't trust the British side to adhere to their safety demands or maybe they don't have the capacities to police such an event.
They don't have the authority to stop Leipzig's team from leaving for England and they can't deny them entry. The next time they get involved in this matter will be enforcing quarantine protocols when the team returns to Leipzig. I don't know what restrictions are in place at the moment or whether an exception for Leipzig to play their next Bundesliga match will be necessary or if they can get around prolonged quarantine with sufficient testing

Krisbijoy

Am I missing something obvious here ? Why is the onus put on RBL and are subject to punishment if this game doesn't go ahead for reasons beyond their control ? Did they qualify unfairly to the knockouts or something ?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Am I missing something obvious here ? Why is the onus put on RBL and are subject to punishment if this game doesn't go ahead for reasons beyond their control ? Did they qualify unfairly to the knockouts or something ?
The home team is the one responsible for organizing the event and that's it. That's in UEFA's regulations. For what it's worth, neither Nagelsmann nor Gladbach DoF Ebert have complained about UEFA in this context, they said there's a collaborative effort to find a solution.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Should we start a petition? :)

Oranges038

The guys who decide this aren't omnipotent, as far as I know it's the local public health office of the City of Leipzig that makes this decision. The club will have asked them if they can find a solution to host Liverpool and they got turned down.
Why precisely they did it I don't know, could have political reasons, could be because they don't trust the British side to adhere to their safety demands or maybe they don't have the capacities to police such an event.
They don't have the authority to stop Leipzig's team from leaving for England and they can't deny them entry. The next time they get involved in this matter will be enforcing quarantine protocols when the team returns to Leipzig. I don't know what restrictions are in place at the moment or whether an exception for Leipzig to play their next Bundesliga match will be necessary or if they can get around prolonged quarantine with sufficient testing
I know, but it's all totally illogical. That's been the main problem with the approach to this in the UK, Ireland and Europe

They either can or they can't play a team from the country where there is a variant of the virus that they want to keep out. It only takes one person to bring it back.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna is the closest category 5 stadium to Leipzig outside Vienna.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna is the closest category 5 stadium to Leipzig outside Vienna.
Can't imagine the rules to enter Austria from UK would be more lenient than Germany.
Budapest is a possible option.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Can't imagine the rules to enter Austria from UK would be more lenient than Germany
Hungarian Government would bite their hands off, Puskas Arena is category 4, probably best guess.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
It's pretty amazing, because the fact that German authorities barred the Liverpool team from entering Germany now means Leipzig themselves have to find a location and venue where the game can take place (and also pay for it..), if they fail they risk losing the game a default 0-3..
UEFA is demanding that the game take place in a UEFA member country, but apart from demanding stuff they're apparently not involved in organizing their own competition or finding solutions for problems the pandemic creates for it.

Options are scarce to find a place where both teams can enter without serious administrative problems, Leipzig will probably have to concede their home advantage to play both games in Liverpool, or find a neutral venue in the UK.
Gladbach will be facing a similar problem with City.
One question, sorry for not understading. If Liverpool cannot enter Germany how are RB supposed to return to Germany after away tie??

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
One question, sorry for not understading. If Liverpool cannot enter Germany how are RB supposed to return to Germany after away tie??
@do.ob talked about this above already.
Re-entering your country of residency is not the same as entering a country as a foreigner. They are allowed to return home, question is what kind of quarantine measure there will be.

And as a general point, of course it is a mess. These measures never are fully consistent and completely stringent, and they hardly can be. Lines have to be drawn somewhere, and somewhat arbitrarily.
And I don't think anyone is in denial about the virus variants propagating in Germany (or wherever; besides they're already here) eventually, it's just about slowing them down until a better percentage of vaccination and protection of vulnerable people can be achieved.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I know, but it's all totally illogical. That's been the main problem with the approach to this in the UK, Ireland and Europe

They either can or they can't play a team from the country where there is a variant of the virus that they want to keep out. It only takes one person to bring it back.
It's not that illogical: Leipzig authorities can tell their team to stay in a bubble while abroad to minimize risk of infection, they can probably even negotiate to have one of their people traveling with the team to make sure.
RB has to play ball, because they are at the mercy of these authorities.
The alternative is to invite Brits into the city, who are surrounded by the mutation 24/7, who bring a host of staff and reporters with them, to divert their own resources to watch them and who are out of reach of Leipzig authorities as soon as the game kicks off.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Should we start a petition? :)
Sure, but I'm not brave enough to start. I won't lie, Jurgen scares me.

Sounds good to me. They should also be striped of their CL titles as well, just because... it’s Liverpool innit.
Exactly, and for those who think it would be unfair on Liverpool, well, you have to ask yourself, is it really unfair or does it just seem that way?

Eli Zee

Match should be played on Fifa by the managers.
i wish that was a thing.... like before the match, have managers play each other using their team and the winner goes through if it's a draw (screw away goals - they're dumb, especially in the covid era)

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The only fair thing would be for Leipzig to choose a stadium in England that Liverpool struggle in.

Old Trafford is not being used. :angel:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Yeah then United have a better chance of winning the Champions Lea...oh.

Crustanoid

The tie should be decided by Klopp being repeatedly kicked in the nads. If he stays quiet after 90 minutes Liverpool can go through

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's not that illogical: Leipzig authorities can tell their team to stay in a bubble while abroad to minimize risk of infection, they can probably even negotiate to have one of their people traveling with the team to make sure.
The alternative is to invite Brits into the city, who are surrounded by the mutation 24/7, who bring a host of staff and reporters with them, to divert their own resources to watch them and who are out of reach of Leipzig authorities as soon as the game kicks off.
And how are they supposed to play their league campaign if they are quarantined if they go abroad to play the tie?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So, let me get this right.

Liverpool aren't allowed to enter Germany from England because of this variant of the virus which the Germans don't want coming into the country.

But the German team can go to England to play the game and then presumably go back to Germany and potentially bring it back with them anyway.
Stupidest thing since side passage concept for a tiny house

Slysi17

I imagine that more countries would follow Germany's lead and ban people travelling from Covid hit areas pretty soon. Only way this virus has a chance of being controlled. This means that finishing the Champions league and Europa league would be impossible. They should just cancel it and just have domestic football ie leagues and domestic cups for the time being. As a Manchester United fan I would love it if the Europa league gets canned.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And how are they supposed to play their league campaign if they are quarantined if they go abroad to play the tie?
They will most likely get around a lengthy quarantine by providing enough negative covid tests.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
But surely if there are travel restrictions FROM the UK then it would make sense to restrict travel TO the UK as well?
You should not apply logic to German regulations. Then it all makes sense ;-)

Oranges038

Yeah, they can do all of that, it still won't stop one of them from bringing it back.
If they are really serious about keeping it out then restricted travel from there should also mean restricted travel to there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Liverpool aren't allowed to enter Germany from England because of this variant of the virus which the Germans don't want coming into the country.

But the German team can go to England to play the game and then presumably go back to Germany and potentially bring it back with them anyway.
Absolutely mad cap isn't it.

If this messing with home/away advantage becomes frequent, it really does make it a farce.
As long as Liverpool don't benefit from this and scrape through and somehow win it when they shouldn't. They have form for this, 2005 etc.

SwedishFish

Most countries have a travel ban on the UK due to the mutations, anyone know where they could still go?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah, they can do all of that, it still won't stop one of them from bringing it back.
If they are really serious about keeping it out then restricted travel from there should also mean restricted travel to there.
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why this is so hard to grasp. You might as well ask why the world isn't shut down for three to four weeks, to stamp out the virus (almost) completely. The answer is that the real world doesn't work in a binary fashion, it's not 0% or 100%, governments have to try and find a balance between letting life (or rather their economy) go on with as little impact as possible and managing virus spread. As such football clubs are allowed to keep playing, given they adhere to a certain safety protocol that's been negotiated with the politicians.
As such health authorities in Leipzig have the position that they can manage and supervise the risk of Leipzig's team, but they drew a line at granting an exception to invite the whole Liverpool squad, Liverpool staff, UEFA officials, British journalists, British broadcasters and god knows who else into their city. The Leipzig team is something they have a working relationship with, who they build up some trust with, all those other people that would've come for the Liverpool fixture are not. Therefore it would have meant significantly more risk and significantly more public health resources required.

Also:
The "British mutation" already spread to Europe, this is about curbing further spread.
Public health officials of the city of Leipzig, to my knowledge, still can't confiscate passports.

Last edited:

Oranges038

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why this is so hard to grasp. You might as well ask why the world isn't shut down for three to four weeks, to stamp out the virus (almost) completely. The answer is that the real world doesn't work in a binary fashion, it's not 0% or 100%, governments have to try and find a balance between letting life (or rather their economy) go on with as little impact as possible and managing virus spread. As such football clubs are allowed to keep playing, given they adhere to a certain safety protocol that's been negotiated with the politicians.
As such health authorities in Leipzig have the position that they can manage and supervise the risk of Leipzig's team, but they drew a line at granting an exception to invite the whole Liverpool squad, Liverpool staff, UEFA officials, British journalists, British broadcasters and god knows who else into their city. The Leipzig team is something they have a working relationship with, who they build up some trust with, all those other people that would've come for the Liverpool fixture are not. Therefore it would have meant significantly more risk and significantly more public health resources required.

Also:
The "British mutation" already spread to Europe, this is about curbing further spread.
Public health officials of the city of Leipzig, to my knowledge, still can't confiscate passports.
The expression that comes to me to sum this line of thinking up is "you can't have your cake and eat it".

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The expression that comes to me to sum this line of thinking up is "you can't have your cake and eat it".
Very insightful. But in the real world you still can't eliminate risk, you only manage it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
United should lend their stadium, training facilities and some tips from OGS in how to knock Liverpool out of a cup 3-2.

We can even install an ice rink where the RB players can run into and flail around to emulate the Stevie Me Slip.

Robertd0803

Yup.
Messy situation, I haven't a clue what the best solution is.
Ban Liverpool automatically. Seems fairest.
Floating pitches in international waters is the only way forward!
Somewhere Dana White is selling space on his Fight Island to incorporate a few football pitches.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Yup.

Ban Liverpool automatically. Seems fairest.

Somewhere Dana White is selling space on his Fight Island to incorporate a few football pitches.
UEFA probably calling Dana White up to put the Euro's on shortly, if they haven't already.