Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson arrested in connection to bribery and witness intimidation as part of investigation into building/development contracts

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Now I know where I've seen him before:

Weight gags aside this has been rumbling for some time. I've got a mate who works at a Liverpool architect's office who has seen all kinds of dodgy goings on with Liverpool gangsters getting involved in property deals. The mayor is an interesting scalp but he's apparently the tip of a massive iceberg.

Drawfull

Weight gags aside this has been rumbling for some time. I've got a mate who works at a Liverpool architect's office who has seen all kinds of dodgy goings on with Liverpool gangsters getting involved in property deals. The mayor is an interesting scalp but he's apparently the tip of a massive iceberg.
Abstract iceberg pic is a nice touch

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can’t imagine it’s his fault, he’s clearly the victim in all this.

Cloud7

When are they printing the t shirts to support him?

marktan

I mean this sort of favours and contracts to people who donate to you happens all the time in the Conservative party - you just have to make sure you're doing it within the legal framework so if you do get taken to court they can't charge you with anything.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Mafia connections? That's usually the case in US development scandals.

RedRover

I mean this sort of favours and contracts to people who donate to you happens all the time in the Conservative party - you just have to make sure you're doing it within the legal framework so if you do get taken to court they can't charge you with anything.
Whilst you're right, there's a big difference between donating money to political parties and bribery - i.e. paying someone personally to look out for you, which is what seems to be alleged here.

Property is a murky world. Money laundering is becoming ever more difficult for criminals and property is a decent way to do it, if you know what you're doing. and if you have the right connections.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
He's been in the news lately because his brother died of Covid. I listened to an interview with him, he came across well. He's been Mayor for a long time, it's kind of disappointing if this is true.

marktan

Whilst you're right, there's a big difference between donating money to political parties and bribery - i.e. paying someone personally to look out for you, which is what seems to be alleged here.

Property is a murky world. Money laundering is becoming ever more difficult for criminals and property is a decent way to do it, if you know what you're doing. and if you have the right connections.
Of course if he's accepted money directly then he's stupid - but in theory there's no difference between that and hiring someone as part of your company to influence them, to get them to lobby on your behalf. It's just in practise you have to be smart about how you do it but loads of companies hire politicians to gain their influence.

Ady87

I work in Liverpool city centre usually and a big fancy apartment tower was going up over the road from my office but work halted at the start of the year and I read something relating to fraud with the owner of the company who was a young guy. Wonder if this is linked. Police were there in numbers on more than one occasion.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The local football team were also a bit of a joke a few years ago and then mysteriously got good :wenger:

Big Andy

Bloke

I worked in Liverpool from 2001-2005, and every site had the same security firm. Some radiators went missing on one of the sites, so I rang the security company, and they said they'd look into it. The next day, they were all back on site. Apparently, they found out who had taken them, and hung them upside down off some scaffolding up in the air and basically said, if they don't get them back tomorrow, we'll feck you up properly.

I had an issue with one of their payments once, and they rang me up asking why they'd not been paid, it was totally not my fault and I was only 21 and an assistant at the time, but they said they were holding me personally responsible for it. This was in December and it was nearing Christmas. Eventually I got it sorted and the main guy came to our office with some bottles of whisky and stuff as a christmas "bonus". I had to go an collect them out of his car, and he opened the boot and there was a shotgun in there, couple of handguns, baseball bat, knuckle dusters, etc. I shit myself and he said "That's what happens if we don;t get paid on time". Made sure they were always the first paid each month after that.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I worked in Liverpool from 2017-2017.

It was incredibly shit.

The Firestarter

I worked in Liverpool from 2001-2005, and every site had the same security firm. Some radiators went missing on one of the sites, so I rang the security company, and they said they'd look into it. The next day, they were all back on site. Apparently, they found out who had taken them, and hung them upside down off some scaffolding up in the air and basically said, if they don't get them back tomorrow, we'll feck you up properly.

I had an issue with one of their payments once, and they rang me up asking why they'd not been paid, it was totally not my fault and I was only 21 and an assistant at the time, but they said they were holding me personally responsible for it. This was in December and it was nearing Christmas. Eventually I got it sorted and the main guy came to our office with some bottles of whisky and stuff as a christmas "bonus". I had to go an collect them out of his car, and he opened the boot and there was a shotgun in there, couple of handguns, baseball bat, knuckle dusters, etc. I shit myself and he said "That's what happens if we don;t get paid on time". Made sure they were always the first paid each month after that.
This sounds like 90s mafia movie.

0le

The only worthy punishment is to revoke their title win.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Brutal stuff. I want no part of it whatsoever, I don't even know why I opened my gob in this thread :nervous:

RedRover

Of course if he's accepted money directly then he's stupid - but in theory there's no difference between that and hiring someone as part of your company to influence them, to get them to lobby on your behalf. It's just in practise you have to be smart about how you do it but loads of companies hire politicians to gain their influence.
I think there is a difference. Lobbying is murky and unsavoury (at best) but to a degree it is out in the open and can be scrutinised. Lobbyists push an agenda and try to influence decision making. They are not the people making the decisions, because paying those people off strays to far and is, essentially bribery.

I don't know the details of this, but if (for example) you're a property developer and you need planning permission to develop a site, you might decide to try and pay off the people who actually make that decision. That's bribery, not lobbying and it's obviously illegal.

The other issue here may well be where (or in reality, who) that money is coming from.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

What the feck? :lol:

F-Red

Well the only key difference being witness intimidation that he was arrested on suspicion of. I don't think many lobbyists use that as a tactic.

He's been bailed to return in a months time pending the investigation.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The polite way of saying he looks like the stereotypical English movie mob boss called Alfie who breaks fingers in the back room of the snooker hall he owns.
The first person I thought of when I saw him was Barry the Baptist.