Anfield

Kick-off
Sun, 17 January 2021 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Henderson and Fabinho at the back....neither could match Cavani’s movement or power in the air, we’ve got this line up terribly wrong.

Hope I’m wrong

In my opinion this selection is woeful but I hope I'm wrong.

It looks like Klopp could be matching our 4231.

Did the same thing vs City.

Salah
    Mane Firmino Shaqiri
    Thiago Wijnaldum
    Robertson Fabinho Henderson TAA
    Allison​

Terrible lineup, Lindelof starts instead of Bailly. OGS is crazy really.
    No Diallo on the bench either
    Did you really think Diallo would be thrown into this match in any capacity, even the bench?

Last edited:
    Rashford tends to play well against TAA, wondering if we should put him on the left and push Martial to the right, and use both Pogba and Bruno centrally?

What is the infatuartion with Lindelof? He would not be in the starting line in the top 5 of any league in Europe.

Biggest issue with that line up for me is how the hell we're going to get control of their full backs?!
    on the contrary, how do they plan to control Bruno and Pogba? No defensive midfielders in midfield - good luck with that

Why are Liverpool playing with zero actual CBs?
    Matip, Joe Gomez, and Van Dijk are all injured. They have Nat Phillips who is a CB who came back from a loan to a 2nd division Bundesliga side who is nowhere near good enough. Fabinho's done well, and has previous experience in a back-line. No idea about Henderson, though.

Interesting.

I'm not sure how well Pogba plays with Fred? I heard someone point out that Ole pairs McT & Fred for these 'big' games, but also pointed out that we have not often come out the winners when they have played together. I like Fred & McT together, but I think there may be a valid point there.
    He won't really be paired with him as it seems he'll be on the left wing today according to Neville

Rest assured Reds, Cavani will be on the pitch as part of the game plan if we need him.

I can't wait to see the little triangle combinations between Pogba, Rashford, Martial slicing their CB's open for fun. Better than whipping it in to Cavani for the first hour.

Henderson and Fabinho at the back....neither could match Cavani’s movement or power in the air, we’ve got this line up terribly wrong.

Hope I’m wrong

Martial strolling around will play into their hands

Hope I'm wrong

Ole always seems to get these little decisions wrong. The Scandinavian favouritism on full show here. Hope Lindelof has a great game but this is a massive blow. Cavani over a badly out of form Martial also.

i wish I had faith in this manager but he seems to play favourites rather then form & suitability.

Would've liked to see Baily start but other than that a good line-up. COME ON UNITED ! :devil:

Shaqiri in the midfield is hardly a sign of strength. Don't share the gleeful sense of opportunity over Liverpool's CB combo though. Fabinho has been excellent, and Henderson did not look poor to me in his last outing there. Also gives them some quality passing out from back.

No bailly ffs. And Matic should have started too

Matic against Liverpool would have been hilarious.

I like this line up, plus we're got so much more options from the bench than them. If it's level with 20/15 to go, I'd fancy us to be applying more pressure.

I have to say as a neutral, I am absolutely gobsmacked that Cavani is not starting against a central defensive partnership of Fabinho and Henderson.

Shaqiri in the midfield is hardly a sign of strength. Don't share the gleeful sense of opportunity over Liverpool's CB combo though. Fabinho has been excellent, and Henderson did not look poor to me in his last outing there. Also gives them some quality passing out from back.

They were wide wide wide open against Southampton.

When the defense for a player is that he “isn’t that bad”, that’s pretty much conclusive that he isn’t that good.

We’ve all been screaming for a new CB to partner with Maguire, but with Bailly playing out of his skin that’s pretty much gone away.

If Bally is unfit, that’s that. But if not, the decision to go with Lindelof is a risk that didn’t need to be taken against a very Liverpool side.

on the contrary, how do they plan to control Bruno and Pogba? No defensive midfielders in midfield - good luck with that
    I agree to an extent, but it depends how much of the ball we have. If it's a 30% possession job then they won't need to!

I have to say as a neutral, I am absolutely gobsmacked that Cavani is not starting against a central defensive partnership of Fabinho and Henderson.

You won't be when Rashford/Martial/Pogba/Bruno slice Henderson and Fabinho open on the ground. Penalty incoming.

Lindelof ain't that bad and bailly ain't the new Thuram so the meltdown here is somewhat unwarranted.
    It's not about 'bad' or not. It's about the partnership. We have two slow, sleepy CBs too afraid to take the ball from the back.

Bailly gives us something different and that much needed aggression and proactiveness in defensive situation (see first goal against City in the League Cup).

It also affects our attacking play and literally puts us on the backfoot against a team that can easily get in behind us.

What is the infatuartion with Lindelof? He would not be in the starting line in the top 5 of any league in Europe.
    And yet here he starts for a team first in one of those top 5 leagues. Crazy, that.

Hope that we don’t regret Bailly’s non-inclusion. I also think Cavani should be starting to bully Henderson. Martial better be up for it & not have one of his games where he’s just strolling around.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 74% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions