Liverpool's inevitable q̶u̶a̶d̶r̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ tr̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ dibble/ The Hala Madrid Thread

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Also a Real Madrid fan thing. As long as I've watched football, in most years they've been second best to Barcelona. Especially over the last 10 years. So of course they would discount league accomplishments.
Plus even if we go back to before Madrid’s last 10 years shitting the bed the Spanish league is famously uncompetitive, so for both big teams it’s been devalued as a competition.

In reality, winning the league is always a far better test of a teams mettle than winning a cup competition. That should really go without saying.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Also a Real Madrid fan thing. As long as I've watched football, in most years they've been second best to Barcelona. Especially over the last 10 years. So of course they would discount league accomplishments.
It's not about discounting league accomplishments. It's just treating them for what they are. A few teams with high budgets play against a majority of teams that are, on paper, much worse than them, and at the end the best team probably has only one or two wins more than the second placed team. It's just a very different metric than European football. Not really 'better.'
More importantly,
Be the best in your own country and Europe will take care of itself.
This just isn't true. Real Madrid are the team with most European cups and it's because they go and try to win it regardless of how well they're doing in the league. AC Milan is the 2nd most successful team in Europe and they too have won it multiple times without winning the league. Liverpool are the most successful english team in Europe and they were not top of the league in any of their finals appearances this century. Europe does not take care of itself, it is its own competition that requires its own skillset.
Plus even if we go back to before Madrid’s last 10 years shitting the bed...
In reality, winning the league is always a far better test of a teams mettle than winning a cup competition.
Real Madrid have 3 league titles in the last 10 years. Barcelona have 5 and Atletico have 2. It's a pretty reasonable record. (it's 4 in 12)
Barcelona won a lot of domestic titles during Bartomeu's presidency but their fans correctly assessed that he was doing a bad job and the team was actually not good.

Last edited:

Bestietom

It's City who will be Premier league champions as I have said from the start.
I also hope Real beat them in Champions League final.
They may beat Chelsea in FA cup final this weekend.

Remember the geese

This just isn't true. Real Madrid are the team with most European cups and it's because they go and try to win it regardless of how well they're doing in the league. AC Milan is the 2nd most successful team in Europe and they too have won it multiple times without winning the league. Liverpool are the most successful english team in Europe and they were not top of the league in any of their finals appearances this century. Europe does not take care of itself, it is its own competition that requires its own skillset.
It's just a personal preference to be honest. Obviously you can never turn down the opportunity to win the European Cup, but it takes a bit of the shine off it for me if you aren't even the best team in your own country at that given time. The league is the true hallmark of consistency.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
There's no way Liverpool are overturning a 7 GD deficit in 2 games, they're crawling over the line in games as it is.
Their next league match is against Southampton - they could reverse that in one match :lol:

Still need Moyes to not feck things up for once :nervous:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
looking at how city dismantled Wolves last night, you'd think they could get at least a draw versus West ham even if they didn't win.

Villa even with Gerrard, Coutinho and Mings on full 'let's help out Liverpool' mode, still shouldn't be good enough to get anything from an away fixture at City.

Liverpool will likely win both their remaining games and lose the title by a point - such a shame for the greatest team in the history of football etc

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
If I was a Liverpool fan, I’d want Klopp to play weakened teams in the last 2 league games now (if City beat West Ham then surely that’s a must), with the main focus on the 2 cup finals.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
looking at how city dismantled Wolves last night, you'd think they could get at least a draw versus West ham even if they didn't win.

Villa even with Gerrard, Coutinho and Mings on full 'let's help out Liverpool' mode, still shouldn't be good enough to get anything from an away fixture at City.

Liverpool will likely win both their remaining games and lose the title by a point - such a shame for the greatest team in the history of football etc
City now has a big advantage on goal difference, so it doesnt matter much if they lose or draw one game.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
It's just a personal preference to be honest. Obviously you can never turn down the opportunity to win the European Cup, but it takes a bit of the shine off it for me if you aren't even the best team in your own country at that given time. The league is the true hallmark of consistency.
Takes none of the shine away.

One would think people, at some point, people start understanding how difficult it is to win CL, but i guess not.

Remember the geese

Takes none of the shine away.

One would think people, at some point, people start understanding how difficult it is to win CL, but i guess not.
I would be ecstatic if we won the Champions League, but to win it and to truly be the best team in Europe is a lot more fulfilling. That's just my personal opinion.

TheLord

I'm not British of course. I have read a lot British fans value the league more than the Champions League. Is that true?
Yes, and no.

I think, overall, the CL is valued more than the PL, and rightly so. There is a greater global recognition of that trophy compared with domestic trophies.

However, there may be odd exceptions. Liverpool, for instance, would value the League more as they have won only once in the PL era, and City, for instance, would value the CL much more (than some other contender like Chelsea, or United) as they've never won that Cup in their history.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I would be ecstatic if we won the Champions League, but to win it and to truly be the best team in Europe is a lot more fulfilling. That's just my personal opinion.
Yeah, 2008 felt real good.

It'd be nice to win it in a domestic off year, but the feeling would be pulling off a great/fluke cup run. Not the feeling of "we're the best team in the world for sure".

Josh 76

If I was a Liverpool fan, I’d want Klopp to play weakened teams in the last 2 league games now (if City beat West Ham then surely that’s a must), with the main focus on the 2 cup finals.
Then imagine Villa beating City on the final day.

Remember the geese

It'd be nice to win it in a domestic off year, but the feeling would be pulling off a great/fluke cup run. Not the feeling of "we're the best team in the world for sure".
Yeah, it's probably a bit greedy of me to want a European Cup win to coincide with us being the genuine best team in Europe. Unlike Liverpool from 2005, or even Chelsea from last season. You should accept it however it comes, but it would definitely feel more gratifying if we were also Champions in our own back yard.

Josh 76

Never realised there could be a play off to decide the PL title.
For this to happen, these are the results.

West Ham 2 - 0 Man City
Southampton 0 - 4 Liverpool

Man City 2 - 1 Aston Villa
Liverpool 2 - 0 Wolves

Not impossible!

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Madrid fans are obsessed with the cl, and rightfully so as its what made their club but I stand by the fact that the league is a much better hallmark, especially if it's competitive and high quality.

Millan have 5 more ucl titles than juve have in their entire history but it doesn't make them the best team in Italy to be honest.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Never realised there could be a play off to decide the PL title.
For this to happen, these are the results.

West Ham 2 - 0 Man City
Southampton 0 - 4 Liverpool

Man City 2 - 1 Aston Villa
Liverpool 2 - 0 Wolves

Not impossible!
Yeah I posted about it a while ago, would be madness if it happened.

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea

would you rather 'be the best team' but get knocked out of the competition, or win it without 'being the best'? i'd take the latter.

The_Midfielder

It's City who will be Premier league champions as I have said from the start.
I also hope Real beat them in Champions League final.
They may beat Chelsea in FA cup final this weekend.
Watch Havertz score an early goal and they defend 1-0

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The Kop'll topple to Hill and Coppell.
And so it did.

We were all pissed in London enjoying it all.
Good memories.
You must be old!
Its great to be able to cherish those memories, hopefully we'll make a bunch of new ones to cherish!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
would you rather 'be the best team' but get knocked out of the competition, or win it without 'being the best'? i'd take the latter.
I literally said to win it in an off season domestically would be nice. I'd take the CL in a season where we were getting relegated. You know what's better than that though?

Irwin99

So someone is probably going to make a thread at the end of the season with a picture of United's Treble winners with the thread title of 'Still the greatest' :D . Not writing off Liverpool yet but if City beat West Ham on Sunday it's over.

On the subject of the greatest achievements, I'm not a huge fan of the Invincibles as i think they're a bit overrated but it's interesting that for all the talk of City and Liverpool being the greatest rivalry in the whole universe and how amazing they are that still the two best achievements in modern English football were set by Sir Alex and Wenger:

• United's Treble winners 1999
  • Arsenal's Invincibles 2004
If Liverpool do the quad they 100% deserve to be called the best but until then...City and Liverpool are not really in the conversation for greatest achievement in any objective sense other than points tally.

erikcred

What a bellend, your just tempting fate when you post things like that.
Watch them finish the season with only a league cup to show for.
We should be careful not to tempt fate ourselves! Need to keep the jinx going :D. Liverpool will definitely win the mini Treble. It's inevitable.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
All it takes is one defeat or two draws for City and its all back on