Liverpool's inevitable q̶u̶a̶d̶r̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ tr̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ dibble/ The Hala Madrid Thread

erikcred

They are the luckiest club on the planet. We rode our luck during our successful years, but the dippers take the piss.
Even the way it’s falling for Gerrard to win them the league, it’s an air of inevitability about it all.
I’ve put a bet on them to win the CL to gain some happiness from it all.
City won’t beat Villa because the pressure is all on them. Wolves are on the beach and will get massively pumped.
That's dramatic. The pressure is all on the league leaders playing at home against a team that hasn't taken a single point off them since Pep joined?

And Gerrard is not going to do squat. Imagine being a Villa player with no affinity to Liverpool and your manager, who's only been there for a few months, shouts -" come on lads, I know we have nothing left to play for this season, but I want you to give everything to help your new manager's former club".

Stookie

Nurse bell end
That's dramatic. The pressure is all on the league leaders playing at home against a team that hasn't taken a single point off them since Pep joined?

And Gerrard is not going to do squat. Imagine being a Villa player with no affinity to Liverpool and your manager, who's only been there for a few months, shouts -" come on lads, I know we have nothing left to play for this season, but I want you to give everything to help your new manager's former club".
And what better time to do it.
:(

TheLiverBird

It all comes down to 2 games. Klopp can make history and do the impossible, which will never be done again, or end the season with a couple of domestic trophies that no one gives a feck about.

If the latter is the case, my god, what a feck up that will be !
How would it be a Feck up?

Being apart of every game available in a season domestically and in Europe

Winning 2 trophies and missing out on the League by a point to this City side and losing the CL Final to Real Madrid would hardly be feck up of the century

It would be disappointing however, I can’t lie about that fact

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Yeah. I mean obviously anything can happen. City might not win, same way Liverpool might not win.
But people are acting like Gerrard was some kind of Villa legend or has a lifetime contract there due to his genius and the players will give their all for him in a game they have nothing to play for.
Thursday is Villa‘s last home game this season. That‘s the game most players will focus on rather than the last game against City.

Dansk

Said from day one that City would retain the title... see no reason to change my mind now. Never though Liverpool stood a chance of the quadruple and still holding out the faint hope that Madrid pull off a miracle
It's not as if Real Madrid need a miracle to beat Liverpool.

On paper, anyway. In reality, we know that Liverpool will get a freak accident handball penalty in the first minute, and then a bolt of lightning will strike Benzema five minutes later. Then the ref will send off two Real Madrid players in the first half for sneezing. In light of that inevitability, maybe it will take a miracle.

Last edited:

TheLiverBird

Its not so much Villa players not having an affinity with Liverpool because of who their Gaffer is

They’ll have respect for their gaffer for who he is but also wouldn’t mind a piece of history being in the team that stopped City achieving another EPL Title in a dramatic finish

united_99

Its not so much Villa players not having an affinity with Liverpool because of who their Gaffer is

They’ll have respect for their gaffer for who he is but also wouldn’t mind a piece of history being in the team that stopped City achieving another EPL Title in a dramatic finish
If we argue like this then they‘ll probably have more respect for their former captain and would not mind a piece of history being the team that helped him win his first PL medal.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I can't believe this thread is only a month old. Started 16 April. I swear it feels like it's been going for months.

Chelsea will save football, again.
I think duffer should be banned if Liverpool do it. He promised us all that Chelsea would save football. WUM. :p

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

He will threaten them all with a pre-season tour in Merseyside.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
As little as your post. Villa being in the history books, bloody hell. You don’t get a trophy for „stopping City achieving another EPL title”
Don't West Ham still claim that trophy from 95?

Here's how I'm feeling about it:

united_99

Don't West Ham still claim that trophy from 95?

Here's how I'm feeling about it:
Pointless club.
And they can claim whatever they want. History books however tell me that Blackburn won the actual trophy.

MonkeysMagic

There has been an air of inevitability of tge quadruple for the scousers for a while, we can all feel it, and I can see the chips falling in their favour on Sunday. Pressure does funny things to people, and currently it's all on City, with it making or breaking their season.

copen1945

The league will be a two-horse race for several more seasons. Chelsea have failed to close the gap to the top two. This would mean Liverpool would win at least one more league trophy. I wouldn't mind seeing Pep doing a meltdown. Real Madrid, I think, will do their part and stop the quadruple bid anyway.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I always remember West Ham 1995 as part of the story Blackburn winning the EPL.
Same with QPR 2012, Crystanbul, Demba Ba's goal/Gerrard's slip (2014).

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In the Premier League era, I think that previously when the title race has still been alive going into the final day of the season, the team that has started the day top has always ended it top; in 1995, 1996, 1999, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2019.

erikcred

In the Premier League era, I think that previously when the title race has still been alive going into the final day of the season, the team that has started the day top has always ended it top; in 1995, 1996, 1999, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2019.
And besides the Blackburn season, was there a season where the chasing team got a favourable result in the leading team's final fixture but failed to capitalise on it?

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
And besides the Blackburn season, was there a season where the chasing team got a favourable result in the leading team's final fixture but failed to capitalise on it?
I don't think so:

1996 - Utd beat Boro
1999 - Utd beat Spurs
2008 - Utd beat Wigan
2010 - Chelsea beat Wigan
2012 - City beat QPR
2014 - City beat West Ham
2019 - City beat Brighton

In 1998/1999, both Utd and Arsenal dropped points in their penultimate games I think, Utd away to us as our relegation was mathematically confirmed (though really the home defeat against already relegated Forest sealed it), and Arsenal away to Leeds. Had Arsenal got a draw at Elland Road, both Utd and Arsenal could conceivably have finished level on points and goal difference, with Utd winning the title based on goals scored.

erikcred

I don't think so:

1996 - Utd beat Boro
1999 - Utd beat Spurs
2008 - Utd beat Wigan
2010 - Chelsea beat Wigan
2012 - City beat QPR
2014 - City beat West Ham
2019 - City beat Brighton

In 1998/1999, both Utd and Arsenal dropped points in their penultimate games I think, Utd away to us as our relegation was mathematically confirmed (though really the home defeat against already relegated Forest sealed it), and Arsenal away to Leeds. Had Arsenal got a draw at Elland Road, both Utd and Arsenal could conceivably have finished level on points and goal difference, with Utd winning the title based on goals scored.
Bodes well for City then! Although I wouldn't mind a roller coaster 90 minutes with City losing and Wolves equalising in the last minute, handing City the title on goal difference. :D

UncleBob

It’s bound to be an opposite Aguero moment, really.

Villa to score the goal that sends the title to Liverpool in the last kick of the match

ExecutionerWasp001

According to Steve McManamanahman, on 5 Live yesterday, if Liverpool only manage the treble of LC, FAC & CL this will still eclipse our treble of 99 as they only lost out on the league by 1 pt.

Absolute buffoonery of the highest order. The league has 1 winner & 19 losers. It doesn't matter how many points you end up behind the winner, at the end of the day you didn't win so you don't get the trophy.

It wouldn't surprise me if he considers the Aldi treble they did under Houllier to be the current pinnacle of English football history.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
According to Steve McManamanahman, on 5 Live yesterday, if Liverpool only manage the treble of LC, FAC & CL this will still eclipse our treble of 99 as they only lost out on the league by 1 pt.

Absolute buffoonery of the highest order. The league has 1 winner & 19 losers. It doesn't matter how many points you end up behind the winner, at the end of the day you didn't win so you don't get the trophy.

It wouldn't surprise me if he considers the Aldi treble they did under Houllier to be the current pinnacle of English football history.
:lol:

Irwin99

Yeah that's absolutely ridiculous. If Liverpool win that then it's a treble not THE treble. Also look at United's road to those trophies

United beat Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal on the way to the FA cup final
United beat Bayern, Inter and the mighty Juve team of that time to the champions league
United beat an outstanding Arsenal team to the league

United Hobbit

I have a really bad feeling they win the league, they'll then batter RM in the CL final, securing the quadruple

This will eclipse our treble and equal our 20 league titles

The gushing over them that's already at peak nausea will go off the scale

The season from HELL is so nearly over..

Come on City, it sucks to be rooting for you, but we CANNOT have this worst possible outcome

IF they win "just" the CL, league cup and fa Cup, its still not the holy trinity we won.

MehdiSaboori1993

I think the fact that people (AKA Liverpool supporting pundits) fail to acknowledge is that one can be appreciative of the great season Liverpool are having without jumping to comparisons with our 99 season JUST YET. Because at the time when I'm writing this, Liverpool are still 2nd in the league and if Villa don't do them a favour, they are going to end up being the 2nd best team in the country, which automatically puts them in an inferior position in comparison to Manchester United team of 1999, a side which outperformed everyone domestically and managed to do the job in Europe as well. You can win every shootout and every knockout tie in the world but at the end of the day, a league table is the most accurate sum of a team's work throughout any season.

Having said that, I believe if Liverpool somehow win the league today, the euphoria and ecstasy will give them enough to overpower Real in that CL final too, in which case they will achieve a feat which will be rightly hailed by all as the greatest in the history of the European Football, and no one will be able to argue against it.

Needham

Heard that, the others didn't even really challenge him on it much. He was very aggressive in tone, too, generating more saliva even than usual.

ExecutionerWasp001

Heard that, the others didn't even really challenge him on it much. He was very aggressive in tone, too, generating more saliva even than usual.
The presenter actually agreed with him. He is though a rabid ABU at the best of times. I didn't hear what Dublin & Murray said as i tuned out in disgust.
In what kind of world does nearly winning a trophy equate to actually winning a trophy.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I've had an absolutely horrendous day today, sorry all but I fully expect Liverpool to win the league today to compound things

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Peak inevitability now.

City look awful. Don't seem at the faces mentally