Loan Watch

JSMHE

Lingard did really well. His ball control and touch are improved and really good compare to the last time I watched him. But overall he needs to do better than this if he wants to get first team football with us next season. Or may be the support isn't enough for him. Well he's still 21 years old and we can also loan him next season. Anyway I'm off for 2nd half.

LR7

Lingard did really well. His ball control and touch are improved and really good compare to the last time I watched him. But overall he needs to do better than this if he wants to get first team football with us next season. Or may be the support isn't enough for him. Well he's still 21 years old and we can also loan him next season. Anyway I'm off for 2nd half.
:confused:
He's probably their best player today and has put 3-4 really good deliveries into the box. I think he should seriously be challenging for a first team spot with us next season. I've watched him a few times during both loan spells this season and I think there has been a lot of improvement (despite the way he hit the ground running at Bham).

JSMHE

:confused:
He's probably their best player today and has put 3-4 really good deliveries into the box. I think he should seriously be challenging for a first team spot with us next season. I've watched him a few times during both loan spells this season and I think there has been a lot of improvement (despite the way he hit the ground running at Bham).
Just saying that his performance isn't reach at Manchester United level yet. I never said he's shit or play poor. He's the man of the match in first half. Well, obviously if he's ready next season then it will be good, but I still think he's not ready yet and probably will be ready for mid table EPL club for loan. Though people start consider us as a midtable club. I'm still think that we are at the high level.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd be very disappointed if Lingard doesn't get his chance next season considering our options on the wings and the dearth of quality prospects on the market.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Lawrence came off. Alright performance from him, I like his dribbling ability. Hopefully he gets to go on tour this summer. Anyone know if he has a squad number?

LR7

Lawrence came off. Alright performance from him, I like his dribbling ability. Hopefully he gets to go on tour this summer. Anyone know if he has a squad number?
Yeah I agree, I really like him.
Warren Joyce praised him on the OS recently.

Nickosaur

YES! Brighton score!

Lingard not involved..sorry I just really want Brighton to win haha

edit/ to keep on topic, Lingard is now playing in the middle, with Solly March on the right and Kazenga Lualua on the left. He's made a few nice surging runs and some clever passes. I've been impressed overall. About 15 mins left.

Nickosaur

YEAH JESSE! Simple tap in finish to make it 2-0

edit/ it was a tap in but still a nice finish, jesse deserves a bit more credit there. 3rd league goal for brighton. interesting to note that since joining he has started every single game for them, which speaks volumes of how they rate him down here.

|Neo|x

Nice finish from Lingard. Deserved his goal after his display to day, been one of the best players on the pitch.

Nickosaur

With Nani looking likely to leave, and every fan and their dog wanting Young gone, I'd hope Jesse can be a part of our squad next season.

LR7

With Nani looking likely to leave, and every fan and their dog wanting Young gone, I'd hope Jesse can be a part of our squad next season.
I think a manager like van Gaal would love him.

Sir A1ex

Would be great if Jesse could bring Brighton up. I always like seeing a new team in the Premier League, and I'm sure our away support would enjoy the day out next season! Looks like the need a big win at Forest in their last match, then hope Reading drop points.

Nickosaur

Would be great if Jesse could bring Brighton up. I always like seeing a new team in the Premier League, and I'm sure our away support would enjoy the day out next season! Looks like the need a big win at Forest in their last match, then hope Reading drop points.
I'm at Brighton Uni, I've been 'supporting' them and hoping they come up for the last few seasons. They certainly have a chance if they can win next weekend. Lingard has done really well and from what I've heard the Brighton fans speak highly of him.

Patchbeard

The problem for Jesse, on the evidence of this spell at Brighton, is that he's much more effective through the middle in Mata/Kagawa/Rooney's position. I just hope he doesn't get lambasted if we give him a chance in a wide area but he has a quiet game.

Having said that, he is the type of player who should thrive alongside Mata or Kagawa, so hopefully it will be similar to Kagawa's situation of playing better from the left when Mata's the No.10.

A1X

Brighton play some good attacking football, so could be the next Swansea if they get the chance. Been knocking at the door for a couple of seasons now, made the play-offs comfortable last season only to be undone by some bloke called Zaha in the semis.

Sir A1ex

Brighton play some good attacking football, so could be the next Swansea if they get the chance. Been knocking at the door for a couple of seasons now, made the play-offs comfortable last season only to be undone by some bloke called Zaha in the semis.
Louis Saha. I remember him!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The problem for Jesse, on the evidence of this spell at Brighton, is that he's much more effective through the middle in Mata/Kagawa/Rooney's position. I just hope he doesn't get lambasted if we give him a chance in a wide area but he has a quiet game.

Having said that, he is the type of player who should thrive alongside Mata or Kagawa, so hopefully it will be similar to Kagawa's situation of playing better from the left when Mata's the No.10.
IIRC most of his good work in the summer was from wide positions, so it's at least in his locker somewhere to score goals from wide.

I'm more worried about him becoming defense-obsessed like Valencia or Cleverley and lose his attacking verve. I'm sure when you step up to the first team there's a lot of pressure to improve your weaknesses.

datura

IIRC most of his good work in the summer was from wide positions, so it's at least in his locker somewhere to score goals from wide.

I'm more worried about him becoming defense-obsessed like Valencia or Cleverley and lose his attacking verve. I'm sure when you step up to the first team there's a lot of pressure to improve your weaknesses.
He's always worked hard tracking back. His main weakness in the past has been his weakness. He seems to be filling out a bit though and his championship performances are promising that he can handle himself ok up against stronger, more physically players.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He's always worked hard tracking back. His main weakness in the past has been his weakness. He seems to be filling out a bit though and his championship performances are promising that he can handle himself ok up against stronger, more physically players.
They can't knock him off the ball if they can't catch him. Plenty of great players on the slim side.

I'd have said, prior to this season where I've seen little of him, his main weakness was a lack of ruthlessness and aggression to take on players around the goal and look to score. But in this regard he did great on the summer tour and it sounds like he's been scoring and assisting pretty well on his loans.

He's a long shot to even make the squad, really, and not many new managers will come in and want to play a ton of reserve players.

However, we were really lacking in threat from wide positions last season, so the door is open. Januzaj was our best attacking player out wide, it wouldn't take much to outstrip Valencia, Nani or Young. If any of them are still here next season.

datura

They can't knock him off the ball if they can't catch him. Plenty of great players on the slim side.

He's a long shot to even make the squad, really, and not many new managers will come in and want to play a ton of reserve players.

However, we were really lacking in threat from wide positions last season, so the door is open. Januzaj was our best attacking player out wide, it wouldn't take much to outstrip Valencia, Nani or Young. If any of them are still here next season.
He was definitely in Moyes' thoughts hence why he didn't get loaned out after the Tour. For him he needs to take that opportunity again, although I think a year on loan at a Premiership club might be the best option for him, then we'll have a better idea of his first team potential. Given he's been a late developer I don't think there is any rush for him.

JSMHE

So Lingard scored in 2nd half. Well done. I'm not so sure what is his favourite position.
Judging from last night which I watched at first half, he likes to stay wide in left and sometime can change position to the right.

If we are still using Manchester United winger philosophy then I'm not sure if he suits for that position. He can score goals. That's one thing for sure. But he needs try to learn how to cross or try to beat players more often like Januzaj. If he can do it then I think he will be a great additional for us as a winger. His ball control and touch are already good and I'm sure he is capable to keep them up.

So far in my opinion his playing style is inside forward or second striker or finisher.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He was definitely in Moyes' thoughts hence why he didn't get loaned out after the Tour. For him he needs to take that opportunity again, although I think a year on loan at a Premiership club might be the best option for him, then we'll have a better idea of his first team potential. Given he's been a late developer I don't think there is any rush for him.
I'm sure I'm biased, wanting to see United youth players in the first team, but I'm excited to see what he could do with top players around him. I'm sure a season in the EPL would be great for him, especially as a consistent starter.

But we play (well we used to and seemingly will again) attacking football and playing for us would mean more space and more chances on the ball because of our quality all over the pitch, which is a great thing too.

NK86

Cleverley scored loads in the Championship
He scored 11 goals once in 35 matches. Not a bad effort I must admit. But Michael is a defender. Surely you cannot compare the two.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Michael is a CB (actually playing RB at Blackburn now) who has scored most of his goals from headers on corners and set pieces. Not sure why you are mentioning Cleverley.

x42bn6

Final day of the Football League:

- Will Keane is on the bench for QPR
- Michael Keane starts for Blackburn
- Nick Powell is injured for Wigan (tonsillitis)
- Davide Petrucci is on the bench for Charlton
- Federico Macheda is on the bench for Birmingham, but Tyler Blackett misses out.
- Jesse Lingard starts for Brighton
- Jack Barmby is set to miss out for Hartlepool with an injury
- Liam Grimshaw hasn't played at all for Morecambe, so I don't think he will play this time, either

x42bn6

Birmingham have dominated but fall behind against Bolton. Macheda and Liverpool's Jordon Ibe are on - Birmingham have to win at the moment, so it's fair to say they're going for it.

Will Keane is on for QPR as well - QPR lead 2-1.

Lingard's final match for Brighton is cut short was he was substituted off in the 60th minute. Brighton are level 1-1 against Nottingham Forest, needing a goal to get into the playoffs.

Petrucci has been brought on for Charlton. Charlton lead Blackpool 1-0.

Last edited: