Long Range Shots

Minimalist

Another placed strike rather than a wild strike from distance. Not the same thing. [/pedantic]

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
You just knew it would happen :D

clarkydaz

I am pretty sure if some other players tried it as much as Pogba does they would score more goals than him. For some reason he is allowed to do things he is not even good at by the looks of it. His shooting is absymal at Manchester United.
Yes! He has license to do it like a beckham or ronaldo, but most of his shots dont even hit the target. Which is weird as his long passing is sublime

Dominos

There's a time and position to take a long ranger.

The shot Phil Jones blasted over the bar today was an example of what we do every single game several times. Rojo today too. We get into double figures every game of shots from unrealistic distances, where the ball isn't even set right for a shot, and/or there's opposition players stood right in the way to easily block.

If the ball is just outside the box and there's a clear sight of goal and it's set perfectly, by all means take a shot. We waste a dozen attacks a game from stupid pot shots.

DonDarmian

To a certain extent, repeatedly taking long shots can prevent sides for dropping to deep and therefore open up more space for our runners Mata, Martial and Lingard. However some of the shots Herrera and Rojo goes for during matches are so bad that it’s pure time waste

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's one thing attackers shooting from good positions with space to shoot. Something they should be doing. It's another when our defenders are trying from miles out and just a needless and unintelligent waste of possession. Also Herrera just shouldn't be allowed to shoot.

el3mel

Joking aside as I said during half time I was fine with all these long range shooting because it was clear apart from the idiotic tries from Jones and Rojo that most of them were clear to the target and with some luck they could have entered.

I think most posters were just carrying the frustration from the South game into the first half and was mad at everything, but we played well from start to finish. Was a classic Goodison park game for us for me.

kundalini

In some situations, long range shots may be attempts to create, rather than score. The chances of them flying in the top corner are minimal but you might get a deflection or block that falls conveniently to a United player in a good position. The keeper may save the ball back into the danger area. Might get a corner.

A low shot probably offers more threat overall than aiming for the top corner, with 20 shots going over for every one on target, never mind the keeper making decent saves.

Mr Smith

Should be stamped out quickly. Particularly from the centre backs. When they carry the ball deep into the oppositions half, they either have time and space to play a pass or will draw the opposition towards them leaving other players free. To then go and blast a shot over the bar is a complete waste.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
There is logic to this tactic, it's not just a hit and hope as many on here feel it is; by shooting from distance you force the opposing team to do one of two things, either rely on the keeper and hope he saves it, or close down the player taking the shot.

If we were to 'stamp this out' of our game, then it would mean teams would be completely comfortable to sit back and defend deep, an tactic which we have more than struggled with over these past few years, we just can't kill games when this happens because we used to (especially under LVG) not take long shots and be forced to pump the ball into a box filled with opposition players, usually resulting in a deadlock.

nutmegrush

Every time the ball falls outside the opposition box giving the perfect opportunity for a long range blast and I see Ander Herrera setting himself up for a shot my eyes Are already rolling.

Makes me wonder when players can spray 60 yard passes to feet but can’t hit the target from outside the box

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Every time the ball falls outside the opposition box giving the perfect opportunity for a long range blast and I see Ander Herrera setting himself up for a shot my eyes Are already rolling.

Makes me wonder when players can spray 60 yard passes to feet but can’t hit the target from outside the box
Well it's not the same technique, spraying a pass 60 yards requires you to loft a ball into a space for a player, but when you are pressured and are attempting not only to hit a target but do it with enough power to beat a keeper it's definitely going to be a lot harder.

Xeno

Should be stamped out quickly. Particularly from the centre backs. When they carry the ball deep into the oppositions half, they either have time and space to play a pass or will draw the opposition towards them leaving other players free. To then go and blast a shot over the bar is a complete waste.
Nah, Rojo in particular has a rocket on him.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Oh, so we should stop having bad shots was the point? Impressive.
Pretty much yeah. Obviously no one would have a problem if the 15 long range shots taken per game were mostly even on target.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
When him and Bailly start they must be the most unique CB partnership in world football, they're like a couple of cartoon characters :lol:

nutmegrush

Well it's not the same technique, spraying a pass 60 yards requires you to loft a ball into a space for a player, but when you are pressured and are attempting not only to hit a target but do it with enough power to beat a keeper it's definitely going to be a lot harder.
It’s somewhat different but those balls get played under pressure and also require weighting of the strike. If a player at this level can practice/train to pull off those passes I expect them to have the transferable ability to apply to long range shots.

Reactions: Penna

DevilRed

It works well if team sit deep and allow us the space to shoot. However, we havent been particularly accurate from long range (especially Pogba).

I do prefer that we have started to mix it up though. Long shots coupled with crosses, instead of just blindly pumping the ball in the box i.e. against so'ton and burnley.

Not sure if its a product of Lukaku not being in the lineup, or Jose encouraging the players to take long shots and force defenders out of the box and keep it unpredictable.

beycont

Jamie Carragher mentioned that long shots was a way to unlock teams like Everton who defended with numbers and sat deep.

Looks like Mourinho does know a thing or two about football management...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Jamie Carragher mentioned that long shots was a way to unlock teams like Everton who defended with numbers and sat deep.

Looks like Mourinho does know a thing or two about football management...
Of course it is. You can’t let the opposition have free shots from 30 yards all game, not every one will sail high and wide. They will get a goal, a deflection, parried into a dangerous area or a corner. So that draws someone out of position to shut down the angle, then the attacker opts to pass instead and an angle or space has appeared to try something else.

We’re not relying on a worldie from Jones or Herrera, we’re forcing the opposition to break shape.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Checking the stats, our goals from outside the box isn't bad at all.

ManUtd 9 out of 45 goals are from outside the box. 129 attempts
ManCity - 9 out of 64 goals from outside the box, 151 attempts
Chelsea - 8 out of 39 goals, 147 attempts
Liverpool - 6 out of 50 goals, 155 attempts
Spurs - 7 out of 41 goals, 159 attempts
Arsenal - 2 out of 38 goals, 149 attempts :lol:

Also no team has scored more goals from outside the box than ManUtd in the league, joint first with ManCity.

Juventus - 9 out of 46 goals, 131 attempts
Lyon 12 out of 44 goals, 108 attempts
PSG - 9 out of 58 goals, 102 attempts.

So in all top 5 leagues, only Lyon have scored more goals than ManUtd from outside the box and only PSG and Lyon have better conversion rate than ManUtd.

in Premier league ManUtd have the best conversion rate from outside the box.

IrishRedDevil

in Premier league ManUtd have the best conversion rate from outside the box.
The point is, we would have an even better conversion rate if guys like Jones and especially Rojo stopped taking needless long range shots. These guys are never going to score from 40 yards in a million years, so it's a waste of time.

Of course guys like Pogba and Mata taking shots from just outside the box is acceptable. They actually try to place their shots, while our defenders (and Rashford) just attempt to smack the ball as hard as they can with little accuracy.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Mentioned it a few times already, but less hesitation when attacking makes us far more dangerous, and that includes with the long shots too (rather than overpassing then someone booting it at a brick wall or into row z out of frustration).