Film Lord of the Rings

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Is this a good thread to mention that i went to a Tolkien's birthday party when i was a kid.

I know the girl who's going out with that same guy, I think it's great great nephew or something like that. Funny thing is they say they've never watched the films or saw any money as it all went to one of his daughters who's now very old and slightly mad so gave it all to Romanian orphanges!

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Indeed, he's the only being that is not affected by the ring. Tolkein fans (nerds) are undecided on what he is exactly. Some say he's a Maia like Gandalf, Sauron, Saruman and the Balrog, some say he's a Vala, and some say he's actually Eru Iluvatar himself (which is the Elven name for God).
He is Ainur, his world of concern was nature though not the races of middle earth. As such he was more powerful than any of the other Maia walking middle earth and like nature was totally uncorruptable and immune to the powers of Sauron. He was also a really annoying tit. Hey Merry doll, derry doll, very doll, Tom Bombadil etc

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well, it's good to see that at least someone appreciates my nerdiness!

I've read the Children of Hurin too, which I really liked because I like the character of Turin Turambar, but the Simarillion despite it's ridiculous amount of names has to be the best because of the brilliance of the epic tales in it.
I didn't take you as a LOTR fan. I still remember watching FOTR at the cinema for the 1st time and being completely gobsmacked when Boromir died (considering Boromirs death was in TTT and I had only read FOTR).

Must admit Silmarillion took me some time to get through, the amount of names and locations that get thrown at you is a little extreme. Beren and Lúthien is such a great tale. I've not got round to reading Children of Hurin, really should try reading that, but my heads full of Italian atm :houllier:

Gambit

I've read the Children of Hurin too, which I really liked because I like the character of Turin Turambar, but the Simarillion despite it's ridiculous amount of names has to be the best because of the brilliance of the epic tales in it.
IS the Children of Hurin any good?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

Pfft if religiously reading a 12000 page book on dwarves and elves to the point where you can memorise the book so much you know all the origins of the spirits and wizards well enough to discuss them with a bunch of complete strangers on an internet forum is nerdy, then call me ner...wait, nevermind.

I've never read any of Tolkein's books in full bar The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Which I guess is odd since I'm a self-confessed fantasy geek. I'm a David Gemmell fanboi though, and probably always will be.

:lol:

I read all the books after watching the first movie (It's the only books I've ever really read). I haven't read a single book since I gave Silmarillion a shot, when I was halfway in I couldn't remember anything of what had happened and just gave it up.

I saw the movies a few weeks ago after not having seen them since they came out, they were still as good as I remembered them.
Yeah I attempted the Silmarillion and have to admit to giving up half way through. Mind it was about 8 or so years a go and I was about 14 or so at the time, but I really should finish it. Reckon I would appreciate it a lot more now.

Same with the Wheel of Time series. Though admittedly reading half of the Wheel of Time still means you have read about 8000 books, so that's not so bad

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Basically, Mrs. Giggs, what Smashed is trying to say is that he wants you to be the Lord of his Ring. He just doesn't quite have the confidence yet to broach that particular subject.

Don't worry, they don't call me Dr. Love for nuthin'.

MG

IS the Children of Hurin any good?
I liked it a lot. It's the story of Turin Turambar, who is a character I really liked from the Silmarillion. It's basically a chapter of the Silmarillion told in more detail and if you're super-nerdy like me on the topic you'll find it interesting to read up more about him. He is a very diverse character.

Pfft if religiously reading a 12000 page book on dwarves and elves to the point where you can memorise the book so much you know all the origins of the spirits and wizards well enough to discuss them with a bunch of complete strangers on an internet forum is nerdy, then call me ner...wait, nevermind.
God, that makes us sound awful. :lol: I'm only a nerd on the fantasy genre though. I'm not one of those Sci-fi freaks who camp outside the cinema to watch Star Wars. In fact I found Star Wars boring! And don't even get me started on the big yawn that is Star Trek.

Spoony

The People's President
I didn't take you as a LOTR fan. I still remember watching FOTR at the cinema for the 1st time and being completely gobsmacked when Boromir died (considering Boromirs death was in TTT and I had only read FOTR).

Must admit Silmarillion took me some time to get through, the amount of names and locations that get thrown at you is a little extreme. Beren and Lúthien is such a great tale. I've not got round to reading Children of Hurin, really should try reading that, but my heads full of Italian atm :houllier:
Yeah, not the easiest read. That said the others books aren't exactly brilliant. I enjoyed reading FOTR but gave up half way through TT - it was painful. As for the films, all of them benefit greatly from the EE. I thought TT was the best of trilogy, whereas ROFK was a complete mess of a film.

Gambit

I liked it a lot. It's the story of Turin Turambar, who is a character I really liked from the Silmarillion. It's basically a chapter of the Silmarillion told in more detail and if you're super-nerdy like me on the topic you'll find it interesting to read up more about him. He is a very diverse character.
Right that it ordered then because of your reccomendation from Amazon.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, not the easiest read. That said the others books aren't exactly brilliant. I enjoyed reading FOTR but gave up half way through TT - it was painful. As for the films, all of them benefit greatly from the EE. I thought TT was the best of trilogy, whereas ROFK was a complete mess of a film.
I enjoyed ROTK upto the point when the Army of the Dead staunter in. From that point onwards I felt it lost its mojo, I hated the 25minute ending which seemed to last forever aided by the music and the odd reason to use fade outs after each scene?

Although I love the imagery of the Grey Havens. Such a beautiful bigature.

FOTR just seemed to be such a masterpiece in pacing and dialogue, although I still get shivers down my back when Eomer appears "Not alone" or when the Rohan march over the hill looking down at the Pelenner Fields with the Mordor Armour below. I still have that image as my desktop (with the rohan horses on the hill with the beautiful sky in the background).

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Basically, Mrs. Giggs, what Smashed is trying to say is that he wants you to be the Lord of his Ring. He just doesn't quite have the confidence yet to broach that particular subject.

Don't worry, they don't call me Dr. Love for nuthin'.
Ha cheers Dwayne, she'll be putty after that.

God, that makes us sound awful. :lol: I'm only a nerd on the fantasy genre though. I'm not one of those Sci-fi freaks who camp outside the cinema to watch Star Wars. In fact I found Star Wars boring! And don't even get me started on the big yawn that is Star Trek.
I've never really seen Star Wars, despite the best efforts of my hall mates. I watched Episode 1 at cinema and that sort of killed the attraction for me. It's probably why I can happily say LotR's is my favourite film trilogy.

I do think Return of the King benefitted the most from the Extended Edition. That said I don't think it was that bad. I think the film makers did a great job adding to the action parts that were barely touched upon in the books- though the scene with the Witchking breaking Gandalf's staff I thought was a bit odd as the Witch King was a man turned wraith. In The Silmarillion it's made clear men are not as powerful as the Maiar. Though I agree I do think RotK was the worst of the film trilogy- but still regard it as a great film in its own right

Spoony

The People's President
I enjoyed ROTK upto the point when the Army of the Dead staunter in. From that point onwards I felt it lost its mojo, I hated the 25minute ending which seemed to last forever aided by the music and the odd reason to use fade outs after each scene?

Although I love the imagery of the Grey Havens. Such a beautiful bigature.

FOTR just seemed to be such a masterpiece in pacing and dialogue, although I still get shivers down my back when Eomer appears "Not alone" or when the Rohan march over the hill looking down at the Pelenner Fields with the Mordor Armour below. I still have that image as my desktop (with the rohan horses on the hill with the beautiful sky in the background).
I didn't like the theatrical version but the EE was fantastic. If anything I think it benefited most from the extended footage. As for ROTK, there was too much going on, it felt disjointed and incoherent. But yeah the Army of Dead spoilt it for me and all. . .and yes, the ending was over the top and utterly cringeworthy. But I loved the darkness of TT (and it improved on the book) the most.

Spoony

The People's President
Ha cheers Dwayne, she'll be putty after that.

I've never really seen Star Wars, despite the best efforts of my hall mates. I watched Episode 1 at cinema and that sort of killed the attraction for me. It's probably why I can happily say LotR's is my favourite film trilogy.

I do think Return of the King benefitted the most from the Extended Edition. That said I don't think it was that bad. I think the film makers did a great job adding to the action parts that were barely touched upon in the books- though the scene with the Witchking breaking Gandalf's staff I thought was a bit odd as the Witch King was a man turned wraith. In The Silmarillion it's made clear men are not as powerful as the Maiar. Though I agree I do think RotK was the worst of the film trilogy- but still regard it as a great film in its own right

Could Silmarillion make the big screen? I wonder how it'd translate. As for other trilogies, I think Star Wars is better, but not by much.

Gambit

How about a TV series?
Yup could work but some of the epic ness of the stories would be lost. The lord of the rings is a small skirmish in comparison to pretty much all the stories in the book.

Crustanoid

Yup could work but some of the epic ness of the stories would be lost. The lord of the rings is a small skirmish in comparison to pretty much all the stories in the book.
Theres a fan-film project to make five films which take the more significant stories and spin them out into films. It's been going for a while I think. Thing is the geekiness could really ruin it.

EDIT: I found the trailer - YouTube - The Silmarillion Film Project (trailer)

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
You see i don't know a nerdy amount about LOTR but i had mates at school who did and when the first film came out they were all upset he was left out.

I only heard of him through playing the unofficial movie tie in game that followed the book more. He turned up and saved me from a tree.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Tom the Bomb was a match for Sauron's master, if I'm not mistaken.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
scifi is where its at.

MG

I thought the Army of the Dead was the best part of ROTK!

I loved the part in the EE of ROTK when those pirate dudes (I'm doing badly here with my Tolkein-nerdyness I know, but I've just forgotten their names completely) are sailing into Gondor and Aragorn stands outside the mountain and goes "You will not enter Gondor!" to the pirates and they're all like "And who's going to stop us, you and who's army?" and then Aragorn goes "This army!" and the Army of the Dead all run out through him and kick some pirate arse.

MG

He is one of the Valar: Aule or Tulkas, and his missus is one of the female Valar, Yavanna
He was not Aule or Tulkas. They were both members of the Valar. Tom Bombadil is some weird creature that Tolkein fans are totally stumped by. And Yavannah was the spouse of Aule.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I thought the Army of the Dead was the best part of ROTK!

I loved the part in the EE of ROTK when those pirate dudes (I'm doing badly here with my Tolkein-nerdyness I know, but I've just forgotten their names completely) are sailing into Gondor and Aragorn stands outside the mountain and goes "You will not enter Gondor!" to the pirates and they're all like "And who's going to stop us, you and who's army?" and then Aragorn goes "This army!" and the Army of the Dead all run out through him and kick some pirate arse.
The pirates were the men of the south IIRC. Same place where they brought the large beasts from.

Gambit

He is one of the Valar: Aule or Tulkas, and his missus is one of the female Valar, Yavanna
We believe so but it's also hinted that he may be a power created by the world middle earth is in. He states that he was there before anything arrived and he would be there after everything was gone.

MG

The pirates were the men of the south IIRC. Same place where they brought the large beasts from.
Yes, but I've forgotten their name. I think they were just the Corsairs or something. They were men who supported Sauron though, because not all humans are good in Middle-earth.

Spoony

The People's President
It was awesome!

You're just jealous you don't have an army on hand that can kill pirates.
Yeah an army of dead would be handful. And did Sauron have a humanoid face underneath that helmet/mask thing? I would love to have seen him kicking arse in his physical form. The eye was a bit gay.

MG

Yeah an army of dead would be handful. And did Sauron have a humanoid face underneath that helmet/mask thing? I would love to have seen him kicking arse in his physical form. The eye was a bit gay.
He lost his physical body when he lost the Ring, at the end of the Second Age when Isildur cut it from him. Before that he did have a humanoid form like a big scary dark lord/warrior thing like you see at the beginning of the first movie.

I agree the idea of just an eye is a bit lame, he was much more scary as a dark lord.

Spoony

The People's President
He lost his physical body when he lost the Ring, at the end of the Second Age when Isildur cut it from him. Before that he did have a humanoid form like a big scary dark lord/warrior thing like you see at the beginning of the first movie.

I agree the idea of just an eye is a bit lame, he was much more scary as a dark lord.
Since reading this thread. . .I've become a bit geeky by reading up on the history of some of these characters. Apparently Sauron could take any form he wanted to. . .and at one time was a bit of a sexy looking elf.

MG

Since reading this thread. . .I've been getting a bit geeky and reading up on the history of some of these characters. Apparently Sauron could take any form he wanted to. . .and at one time was a bit of sexy looking elf.
Very good Spoony. :)
(I meant that to come out as nice, not patronising :nervous:)

Yes, when Sauron was trying to persuade the Elves to create the rings of power he took on the form of 'Annatar' and looked a bit like Legolas, only sexier, and persuaded them all to create them, whilst deceiving them at the same time by creating his own ring.