Film Lord of the Rings

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
My favourite movies of all time, definitely favourite trilogy as well. Just finished watching the extended version of all them, watched one a day because they are way too long to watch all in one day, considering they are about 4 hours each.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I did a full LOTR marathon last Sunday - took 12 hours to the minute. 10:04 to 22:04. Blu Ray extended editions all the way.

Crustanoid

Got the extended edition box set for 22 quid yesterday. These knock the socks off the theatrical editions, really incredible films.
They really should show the extended versions when it is re-run on the TV. It always seems wrong when you notice bits missing.

My extended versions are scratched to feck now so I'm going to buy some more from somewhere. Where did you get yours from?

There was talk a while ago about Jackson making a no-holds barred extended extended version (5 hours) of the return of the king featuring everything, including the Scouring of the Shire (the ommission of that is one of my gripes because it adds to the Saruman story - I guess it would have involved cutting the scene at Isengard and having Saruman escape)

eric le roi

Any version of Return of the King should end with Samwise Gamgee saying "Well, I'm back." Been years since I've seen it - does it?

Spoony

The People's President
Indeed, which is why it's so fecking brilliant. My life gives me a good enough taste of reality without having to sit and watch another persons experience of it.

Fantasy> realism
Why don't you dress up as a hobbit and start your own fantasy adventure? When reality becomes fantasy... and who knows? Make belief hobbit sex and all.

Art

Art the artist
Not a fan eh Spoony?

Artistically, the book served as my biggest inspiration to create visual art as I'm guessing it did for many others. But the movies certainly did capture the imaginations of the layman audience influencing them even more. Both the books and the movies were very important pieces of work for the entertainment industry today me thinks.

Woodzy

Watched all 3 extended versions in the week. Outstanding films, dragged in parts, but never enough to give you a "please God let it end" sort of feeling.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Been re-watching them as well this week. Can appreciate the first one a lot more on a second viewing now that I've seen the whole thing. I thought the first half was a little bit boring on a first watch, but I enjoyed it more now.

Great films all round though. Only seen the EE and I'm glad that's the case. Best of their genre.

Spoony

The People's President
Not a fan eh Spoony?

Artistically, the book served as my biggest inspiration to create visual art as I'm guessing it did for many others. But the movies certainly did capture the imaginations of the layman audience influencing them even more. Both the books and the movies were very important pieces of work for the entertainment industry today me thinks.
It's children's literature. Fans will say... no! It's for teenagers, well in that case 'ring around the rosie' is well and truly not a nursery rhyme. I don't like it because I can't connect with it on any level, it's just too one dimensional and black and white. But children? I'm sure they can. And how are they important pieces of work for the entertainment industry? Just what have those films influenced? Funnily enough the movies were much better than the books.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Being fantasy is not at all why I think it's silly nonsense. It's all the silly nonsense that makes it silly nonsense.

Long serious conversation about silly thing > Big fight > Old magic man saves the day when convenient with other, silly thing > Deus Ex Machina > Repeat for next scene/film/book.

I appreciate why people like them. Fair enough. It's like Star Wars for me though. Zeitgeist fluff.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It's children's literature. Fans will say... no! It's for teenagers, well in that case 'ring around the rosie' is well and truly not a nursery rhyme. I don't like it because I can't connect with it on any level, it's just too one dimensional and black and white. But children? I'm sure they can. And how are they important pieces of work for the entertainment industry? Just what have those films influenced? Funnily enough the movies were much better than the books.
I'm fairly sure very few fans of the books prefer the movies (i most certainly prefer the books) Although the movies are terrific.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Glad to know I'm not the only one who hates this.

Count Orduck

Spoony, the books laid the groundwork for dozens and dozens of epic fantasy stories to follow. Perhaps you don't like any of those, either, but you can't deny that they had a huge impact upon that genre of literature.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
I'd say they have opened the door for alot of things that before would have been considered 'unfilmable'. There wasn't a film before it that matches the scale of this trilogy.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
Being fantasy is not at all why I think it's silly nonsense. It's all the silly nonsense that makes it silly nonsense.

Long serious conversation about silly thing > Big fight > Old magic man saves the day when convenient with other, silly thing > Deus Ex Machina > Repeat for next scene/film/book.

I appreciate why people like them. Fair enough. It's like Star Wars for me though. Zeitgeist fluff.
I don't think many would disagree that it is silly nonsense. Pretty much all films are. Some people are just more capable of suspending belief.

Spoony

The People's President
I don't think many would disagree that it is silly nonsense. Pretty much all films are. Some people are just more capable of suspending belief.
No that's just silly, because LOTR is silly nonsense doesn't mean most films/books are... that's reductio ad absurdum or something. And suspending disbelief, well most of us do that all the time... Or else I'd have been tutting away at Batman thinking, folk don't really do that.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Love Lord of The Rings, one of the few things I'm an unashmed fanboi of but yeah like Wibs said, the poetry etc is kinda gay.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's not if you actually think about what he was doing! In fact, that stuff is the entire premise of all of it.
Yeah I get where you're coming from, just have to admit that when I used to read the books.. used to just skim read the poetry bits haha. I also understand why Spoons and Mocks just find it bizarre that people rate em so highly.. for me, they're the first books which totally captured my imagination, love Fantasy as a genre as a consequence of reading them.

WeasteDevil

Tolkien was the professor of old English at Oxford. TLOTR is mythopoeia, it is based on the old Germanic myths, it's not pure fantasy. Then we look at the writing of that time, Beowulf being a prime example - it's a poem.

Mockney

As I said, it's nothing to do with being inherently silly, as you say, a lot of films are. But the conclusions and premises don't stack up for me. Like, for example, how Gandalf just brings out some random magic whenever they're losing...Why couldn't he have done that before? Why couldn't they have used the eagles more? Why didn't they go straight to the army of the dead? blah blah blah..My unappreciation of it has very little to do with the silly nonsense of it all being about weird magic rings that don't really seem to do anything.

However, I completely agree that it's a hugely significant cultural work. Again, much like Star Wars. It's just not really my cup of tea is all.

Spoony

The People's President
Tolkien was the professor of old English at Oxford. TLOTR is mythopoeia, it is based on the old Germanic myths, it's not pure fantasy. Then we look at the writing of that time, Beowulf being a prime example - it's a poem.
It's also in Tolkien's own words 'a fundamentally religious and Catholic work'. Then again he's was a nut job.

Mockney

Does the bible?
As you know Weaste, I'm not particularly fond of that famous work of fiction either.

Are you seriously trying to compare Tolkien's work to that of George Lucas?
Not in terms of prose no. Tolkien is evidently a far superior scribe. But in terms of hugely popular stories for kids, yes. Particularly ones that develop into a fanatical fandom in adulthood. It's a Christian luddite analogy for teenagers. More power to it, but I'm none of those things.

Spoony

The People's President
As I said, it's nothing to do with being inherently silly, as you say, a lot of films are. But the conclusions and premises don't stack up for me. Like, for example, how Gandalf just brings out some random magic whenever they're losing...Why couldn't he have done that before? Why couldn't they have used the eagles more? Why didn't they go straight to the army of the dead? blah blah blah..My unappreciation of it has very little to do with the silly nonsense of it all being about weird magic rings that don't really seem to do anything.

However, I completely agree that it's a hugely significant cultural work. Again, much like Star Wars. It's just not really my cup of tea is all.
I don't think that's much of an issue, to be fair. The fact that it's one dimensional is the my main gripe. As for the likes of Raes, Wibbs and co, I reckon you love The Rings because you read the books at school.