Film Lord of the Rings

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The extended edition of the fellowship is brutal. The two towers and return are great though.

Heardy

Just watched them all again. Simply brilliant.
I only wish the Hobbit had been done first, is my only gripe
Why do you say that Erica?

With the exception to little things like "Bilbo's Trolls" in the Fellowship, you don't really need to have seen or read The Hobbit in order to appreciate LOTR?!

Assuming you've read the Hobbit, do you think there will have been as big of a buy in to the childrens film first to have got sufficient funding for LOTR afterwards? LOTR has a lot more to it, and will have been an easier sell to the studios IMO. Although I could be completely wrong.

EricaNo7

Why do you say that Erica?

With the exception to little things like "Bilbo's Trolls" in the Fellowship, you don't really need to have seen or read The Hobbit in order to appreciate LOTR?!

Assuming you've read the Hobbit, do you think there will have been as big of a buy in to the childrens film first to have got sufficient funding for LOTR afterwards? LOTR has a lot more to it, and will have been an easier sell to the studios IMO. Although I could be completely wrong.
It's only from a personal view, Heardy, and I think it's because as good as the Hobbit is, it wasn't nearly as good as LOTR, and so that's a step back for me. Also I read the Hobbit first, it really is just a preference really

MichaelS

I see. Are the Valar discussed in the Silmarillion?
Yeah, especially in the beginning. Melkor, the first and mightiest of the valar, and Sauron's boss in a certain sense is the main character of the book.

MichaelS

The silmarillion itself contains some great stories and some incredible imaginery, but of course it doesn't read like the hobbit or lotr. However reading it greatly enriches the hobbit and LOTR.

It's my favourite tolkien book.

Doevle

For those of you who have read the Hobbit, do you reckon we will see more of the Necromancer in the next two films? I really hope so!

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Was watching the first one the other day on TV and have a question for someone who knows the answer. I can't remember what it said in the book so I'll ask here.

When the fellowship all meet for the first time and are arguing over who should bear the ring and what should be done with it, does Frodo take it because it's already taking a hold on him? The way that part is done in the film it sort of looks like that's the case.

EricaNo7

Was watching the first one the other day on TV and have a question for someone who knows the answer. I can't remember what it said in the book so I'll ask here.

When the fellowship all meet for the first time and are arguing over who should bear the ring and what should be done with it, does Frodo take it because it's already taking a hold on him? The way that part is done in the film it sort of looks like that's the case.
I don't think so, I always got the impression he said it out of honour , could be wrong of course

Hal9000

I think he realises that the quest is his destiny, and that the ring came to him for a reason.

The ring, although as evident with Bilbo and later Frodo, does not corrupt Hobbits as easily as the other beings. Probably something to do with there innocence and no real concerns for power and wealth like the others.

I think Frodo realised this when he saw everyone fighting over it, he noticed how quickly it turned the others against each other. So felt the task was his and it was also the reason why he went on his own with Samwise towards the end of the fellowship.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I don't think so, I always got the impression he said it out of honour , could be wrong of course
I think he realises that the quest is his destiny, and that the ring came to him for a reason.

The ring, although as evident with Bilbo and later Frodo, does not corrupt Hobbits as easily as the other beings. Probably something to do with there innocence and no real concerns for power and wealth like the others.

I think Frodo realised this when he saw everyone fighting over it, he noticed how quickly it turned the others against each other. So felt the task was his and it was also the reason why he went on his own with Samwise towards the end of the fellowship.
Fair play, cheers. It's what was happening just before he said he'd take it that it got me thinking. Think I'll watch The Two Towers tonight...annoyed I missed it the other night on TV.

EricaNo7

It's Gandalf's face, when he hears Frodo say he"ll take it ( brilliant acting by Ian McKellen ) , it's a mixture of pride in Frodo, with worry, and astonishment that he's said he'll take it.

The casting was excellent I have to say. Not one actor out of place.

MarcRed96

Just rewatched The Two Towers. Simply breathtaking. The scenes between Sam and Frodo are some of my favourite scenes in film.
The best scene was Sam's speech at the end where it showed the good guys winning at Helms Deep and that epic music was playing the background. Great scene, one of the best moments in the trilogy.

The Two Towers is great but I've always thought it was the weakest of the films, aside from Helms Deep at the end which is just insanely good.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
The best scene was Sam's speech at the end where it showed the good guys winning at Helms Deep and that epic music was playing the background. Great scene, one of the best moments in the trilogy.

The Two Towers is great but I've always thought it was the weakest of the films, aside from Helms Deep at the end which is just insanely good.
Yeah, probably the weakest of the films for me, too, but awesome nonetheless. The soundtrack to the film is incredible, particularly when Sam does the speech, as you say.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

That's my feeling pretty much summed up too. Sam is one of, if not the best character in the story. He is the epitome of a loyal friend, and not once did he abandon his hope or support for Frodo.

The Two Towers part I also agree with. The fight was perhaps on par with Minas Tirith, but overall the film was found to be lacking compared to the other two. Treebeard's scenes are interesting, but takes up too much of the film. The house of Rohan isn't exactly my favourite group either if I'm being honest; it wasn't when I read the novels either.

It's pretty tear-jerking watching it again:

Count Orduck

Really? Sam does his level best to ruin the entire film. He's an insufferable character.

MarcRed96

That's my feeling pretty much summed up too. Sam is one of, if not the best character in the story. He is the epitome of a loyal friend, and not once did he abandon his hope or support for Frodo.

The Two Towers part I also agree with. The fight was perhaps on par with Minas Tirith, but overall the film was found to be lacking compared to the other two. Treebeard's scenes are interesting, but takes up too much of the film. The house of Rohan isn't exactly my favourite group either if I'm being honest; it wasn't when I read the novels either.
Sam's a nice character but I wouldn't say that he's one of the better ones. Gandalf The Grey was always my favourite, I was gutted when he died in Fellowship of the Ring.

The one thing I really disliked about The Two Towers were the annoying and pointless scenes between Aragorn and the Arwin. Seemed to take forever and never really felt necessary in the film.

MarcRed96

This scene is also one of my favourites.

Kind of cheesy but really heart warming.

I really need to start watching these films again. In fact, I might have a look for the boxset soon and put on the first one tonight.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
My favourite scenes were the Merry and Pippin ones. Especially with Treebeard.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Kind of cheesy but really heart warming.

I really need to start watching these films again. In fact, I might have a look for the boxset soon and put on the first one tonight.
If you have a blu ray player the box set is stunning.

Revan

Assumptionman
Haven't watched them for almost three years now. The time for a rewatch is coming.

Sam is shit, his scenes with Frodo were almost unwatchable.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Haven't watched them for almost three years now. The time for a rewatch is coming.

I don't understand this. Was it because you found them scenes cheesy? If so, fair enough, some people hate cringy moments, but otherwise I don't understand the hate for them.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
I love LOTR but I'm disappointed that tom Bombadil didn't make the film. I liked the cut of his jib. He is one of the most intriguing characters in the book, but not central to the story of the ring, so maybe why he didn't make the cut. Definitely part of the rich tapestry of context in the book though.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I love LOTR but I'm disappointed that tom Bombadil didn't make the film. I liked the cut of his jib. He is one of the most intriguing characters in the book, but not central to the story of the ring, so maybe why he didn't make the cut. Definitely part of the rich tapestry of context in the book though.
Yeah, he's an interesting character alright. Supposed to be the oldest creature in Middle Earth.

MarcRed96

If you have a blu ray player the box set is stunning.
Yep, I've got the extended editions on blu ray. Watching Fellowship right now and it's still as brilliant as ever. The Ringwraiths still scare the shit out of me!

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Yeah, he's an interesting character alright. Supposed to be the oldest creature in Middle Earth.
Indeed, supposed to pre date the dark lord even. He saved the hobbits on route to Rivendell, but I guess it would have added to what was already a lengthy movie.

As good as the films are they don't touch the books.

EricaNo7

B
Indeed, supposed to pre date the dark lord even. He saved the hobbits on route to Rivendell, but I guess it would have added to what was already a lengthy movie.

As good as the films are they don't touch the books.
Very difficult to translate the books into film but Peter Jackson's vision of the characters is exactly how I imagined them ( particularly Aragorn )

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

Don't agree at all, thought he and frodo were perfectly cast and their relationship is very similAr to how it is portrayed in the books.

You are a hard man to please revan.