Film Lord of the Rings

WeasteDevil

Interestingly enough, those that study English philology in Spain have to learn old English. I've met a few that can read Beowulf out loud and understand it. I sort of want to smack them and say, WTF do you want to know this shit for? They make native speakers look like stupid twats.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
As I said, it's nothing to do with being inherently silly, as you say, a lot of films are. But the conclusions and premises don't stack up for me. Like, for example, how Gandalf just brings out some random magic whenever they're losing...Why couldn't he have done that before? Why couldn't they have used the eagles more? Why didn't they go straight to the army of the dead? blah blah blah..My unappreciation of it has very little to do with the silly nonsense of it all being about weird magic rings that don't really seem to do anything.

However, I completely agree that it's a hugely significant cultural work. Again, much like Star Wars. It's just not really my cup of tea is all.
I get what you are saying. The whole thing with Gandalf wasn't explained very well tbh. He is an istari (spelt something like that) who are sort of Demi gods. He can't use his powers on mortal folk which is why you only see him us it against the likes of the Balrog, Saruman and the witch king, since they do not strictly belong to middle earth.

The eagles thing is a common gripe though. Why not just tell Frodo to jump on the back and be at Mordor within a day :lol:

Spoony

The People's President
What film is not silly nonsense?
Raging Bull. It's probably the only one. Not that I know what silly nonsense actually means, it's rather vague.

Well, there were the two children of Sam Gamgee at the end of The Return of the King no? He'd obviously been poking something into the barmaid!
Yeah, she was a looker to be fair. And for all those who suspected him to be gay...how wrong you were.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He's grey, then he dies and becomes white, then he starts fighting people with his big stick for a while before going "pschh, feck this, I'm just going to summon some magic light from the sky, or an eagle, or a moth or something and kill a half the army in one stroke." ...It's just madly inconsistent, and seems entirely predicated on how to get the writer out of the corners he's written himself into.

You can make your plot about anything silly and i'll go along with it, but the second you start going "We're at our lowest ebb, our heroes are losing, how do we solve this?...feck it, lets just say magic" you've lost me.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
Raging Bull. It's probably the only one. Not that I know what silly nonsense actually means.
Well since Raging Bull is based on somebody's memoirs that's not really playing fair is it? It's not a fictional tale.

Take the godfather, it's the story of a guy who within a matter of weeks changes from being completely opposed to his families business to running it with no qualms within, what, less than 6 months? It's silly nonsense, doesn't make it any less of a film.

I don't even know what this point means now, think I'm just argueing for the sake of it :lol:

Spoony

The People's President
Well since Raging Bull is based on somebody's memoirs that's not really playing fair is it? It's not a fictional tale.

Take the godfather, it's the story of a guy who within a matter of weeks changes from being completely opposed to his families business to running it with no qualms within, what, less than 6 months? It's silly nonsense, doesn't make it any less of a film.

I don't even know what this point means now, think I'm just argueing for the sake of it :lol:
I think you are. And so am I, I guess. I bid you farewell.

Silly nonsense indeed, Pace.

Ludens the Red

He's grey, then he dies and becomes white, then he starts fighting people with his big stick for a while before going "pschh, feck this, I'm just going to summon some magic light from the sky, or an eagle, or a moth or something and kill a half the army in one stroke." ...It's just madly inconsistent, and seems entirely predicated on how to get the writer out of the corners he's written himself into.

You can make your plot about anything silly and i'll go along with it, but the second you start going "We're at our lowest ebb, our heroes are losing, how do we solve this?...feck it, lets just say magic" you've lost me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Deus Ex Machina

WeasteDevil

By avatar I meant a human manifestation of a higher power. You mean the resurrection though don't you? Jesus didn't really come back bigger and deffer, WD.
Not physically he didn't, I'm talking more in the metaphorical sense. The actual act of defying death is the underlying belief of Christianity. Morph that into physical form and you have Mithdrandir or however you spell his name.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I get what you are saying. The whole thing with Gandalf wasn't explained very well tbh. He is an istari (spelt something like that) who are sort of Demi gods. He can't use his powers on mortal folk which is why you only see him us it against the likes of the Balrog, Saruman and the witch king, since they do not strictly belong to middle earth.

The eagles thing is a common gripe though. Why not just tell Frodo to jump on the back and be at Mordor within a day :lol:
In the hobbit it's explained why they won't just carry them away, gandalf asks them and they say...
The Lord of the Eagles would not take them anywhere near where men lived. "They would shoot at us with their great bows of yew," he said, "for they would think we were after their sheep. And at other times they would be right. No! we are glad to cheat the goblins of their sport, and glad to repay our thanks to you, but we will not risk ourselves for dwarves in the southward plains."
Same would apply for frodo, although I'm not sure if they ever mention it in the book.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Great books, though the films were alright but could have been better.

Spoony

The People's President
Spoony, the books laid the groundwork for dozens and dozens of epic fantasy stories to follow. Perhaps you don't like any of those, either, but you can't deny that they had a huge impact upon that genre of literature.
Yes but the movies' impact on the entertainment industry. But anyway, I'm typing for the sake of it.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Got this on Monday. €65 Which I think is a good price. Box set is sexual and although I have only watched half of the Fellowship so far it looks incredible

Very very happy with my purchase

What did you get for that amount of money? I got the theatrical blu-ray set for £9.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Yes but the movies' impact on the entertainment industry. But anyway, I'm typing for the sake of it.
I guess the success of the movies at the same time as the Spider-Man and X-Men movies set Hollywood on the path of genre adaptations=cash and screw original ideas mentality.

Or did you mean positive impact..?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Heard of mana?

Spoony

The People's President
I guess the success of the movies at the same time as the Spider-Man and X-Men movies set Hollywood on the path of genre adaptations=cash and screw original ideas mentality.

Or did you mean positive impact..?

:lol:

Well, yes, if possible WP. I'm wondering when it'll get remade.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
What did you get for that amount of money? I got the theatrical blu-ray set for £9.
I made that post 18 months ago just when the blu ray extended editions were released.

It's a lovely box set which will be much cheaper now.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I got the extended edition blu ray for Christmas. I've never watched them before so I'm looking forward to finding the time for it.

JmRssll555

Class set of films if you don't over analyse the details - yes, everyone knows they should have just jumped on the eagles in the first film, hardly impressive insight.

Just relax and enjoy the films for what they are. The trilogy is certainly one of my favourite sets of movies, never tire of watching them.