Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performance Thread

Van Gaal: The verdict

• 1) Sack him now.

• 2) Sack him at the end of the season.

• 3) Let him see out his contract and part ways after that.

• 4) Extend his contract.

• Undecided (between 1 and 2).

• Undecided (between 2 and 3).

• Undecided (between 3 and 4, if things improve before his contract expires, extend).

Results are only viewable after voting.

ghagua

I was excited by his arrival last year only because we had Moyes previously. It’s like going to Burger King when we had only vegetables to eat for 10 months. It’s better on the taste, but not healthier :D

Anyway, I can’t clearly understand his philosophy. Last year was a tough time for us when you see the facts. We started so badly and we invested so much (and not wisely). Normally with ADM, Rooney, Falcao, RVP, he should have the material to finish higher than 4th, but he conviced us that we were not good enough.

But it’s all because of him. The 3-5-2 + his wrong recruitment (Falcao + Rojo) + his switch to diamond + the soporific football played from October to March + the Di Maria mismanagement, the Falcao FLOP, and De Gea saga. We lost too many things (not only points) because of his indecisiveness, his experimentations etc.

And guess what? After fixing the right back position, the Center Midfield position, adding an exciting talent in Depay, he changes his tactics again, he bench our best midfielder, plays an even weaker central defense, plays a keeper who wants to leave and plays Rooney up top (I pass Young on the left and Mata right). So he won points last season in a certain way, but he changes again even if he has the material and the strength in depth.

I’m totally disabused about him, his management. He spent 250M£ in 12 months and we can’t have better than Jones + Blind behind ? Mata as a winger ? and an average Young as our best player ?

I think, and I’m sure that we’re to soft, kind with him because he’s better than Moyes. But when we look clearly everything, it’s not good enough, and we’re going the same way this year. Just let’s hop that we’ll finish top 4 again this season, sack him, and have Ancelotti at United.
Agree with everything you said. People keep mentioning it's only pre season, but you get a feeling which does not go away and it usually is true at the end. The summer of Moyes, people worried about signing players, others said it's to early to worry, we ended up over paying for Fellaini. Team had a terrible pre season tour in Asia, people said it's only pre season, team finished 7th playing horrible football. LvG wanted to play that shit 5 at the back, people said its too early, team ended up just crawling into 4th place. Despite spending all that money over the last year, LVG still has players all over the place. I just have a feeling we are going to in for a hard season ahead with this manager.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Stop with this. We had trouble with Di Maria so just stop with this shit.

Funny how now he's the greatest thing since sliced bread now he's close to moving. He was a genuine waste of space apart from 4 games at the beginning of the season.
I fully agree that he wasn't very good - and if he fecks off, so be it, we'll manage without him.

The problem - in an LVG "performance" context - is that at this stage the Di Maria situation makes it natural to ask questions regarding LVG's astuteness/judgment.

In short: Why the hell did he opt for Di Maria in the first place? Right now it looks like a terrible decision - and we need a set of mitigating circumstances coming to the surface before LVG can redeem himself.

R'hllor

He might just disappear up his own clipboard.
Someone should put his face on Comix Zone cover.Some fans would enjoy it,they trap him in his own clipboard first then make changes like putting players in their natural positions just so they can piss him off.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I have a feeling he is forcing a couple of his players, Blind & Memphis into important starting roles when they are not yet ready or suited for it. I don't mind the Blind at CB experiment because Jones hasn't really covered himself in glory and Rojo is not fit or available but using Memphis in a central role is marginalizing players like Mata & Herrera who are ready to fit into that role and make the team function better overall yet he is causing further imbalance by not using them.

The Herrera situation is rather more perplexing because by all statistical metrics, whoscored.com ratings etc he was our best performer last season when afforded a start, yet Van Gaal is doing his best to not use him.

I hope these concerns don't persist when we play regular games but if the preseason is any evidence, we're in for some humbling results before he begrudgingly goes towards playing proper players into their positions for us to win some games.
Of all people, wouldn't LVG know best when his players are ready for a particular role, especially having observed them in training, spoken to them, and most of all having known and coached them before at WC ?

vidic blood & sand

I like Van Gaal, and think he's an exceptional coach. My only concern is that his desire is to quit in 2 years.
If he does, this will be frustrating because we'll be looking for a new man with another new philosophy, at a time when we're adapting to Van Gaal's.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I like Van Gaal, and think he's an exceptional coach. My only concern is that his desire is to quit in 2 years.
If he does, this will be frustrating because we'll be looking for a new man with another new philosophy, at a time when we're adapting to Van Gaal's.
Unfortunately, this is why Giggs is sitting next to LVG. He's the heir apparent to maintain the current philosophy. :houllier:

clarkydaz

a lot can happen in 2 years, good and bad. his career suggests he cant do long term at a club anyway

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
He reminds me of a crazy scientist who will go out of his way to attempt the possible with the impossible methods.
Believe it or not he made several remarkable decisions during his career that turned out better then great. Players like Xavi, Iniesta and Xavi, Muller etc thank their career to LVG. When he first got the job at Barcelona he took a certain Eredivisie keeper with him and critics were having a field day. That keeper became player of the year before the likes of Figo and Rivaldo. Fun fact , at that time he had Baia to his disposal, one of the best keepers in that period. People are also making fuss about him changing positions of players, but he made Rivaldo a ballon d'or winner after shifting him to the left side. Most current event was the keeper substitute during the semi's of the WC. You can call it lucky, but it certainly was a touch of a genius. What im trying to say is that yes from the surface one may observe some 'strange' decisions, but LVG knows the football game inside out and when he believes that a certain decision will come good, it usually does.

Andy_Cole

I wonder how long until he loses the fans? Could a disaster start lead him to be sacked by January?

prath92

I was excited by his arrival last year only because we had Moyes previously. It’s like going to Burger King when we had only vegetables to eat for 10 months. It’s better on the taste, but not healthier :D

Anyway, I can’t clearly understand his philosophy. Last year was a tough time for us when you see the facts. We started so badly and we invested so much (and not wisely). Normally with ADM, Rooney, Falcao, RVP, he should have the material to finish higher than 4th, but he conviced us that we were not good enough.

But it’s all because of him. The 3-5-2 + his wrong recruitment (Falcao + Rojo) + his switch to diamond + the soporific football played from October to March + the Di Maria mismanagement, the Falcao FLOP, and De Gea saga. We lost too many things (not only points) because of his indecisiveness, his experimentations etc.

And guess what? After fixing the right back position, the Center Midfield position, adding an exciting talent in Depay, he changes his tactics again, he bench our best midfielder, plays an even weaker central defense, plays a keeper who wants to leave and plays Rooney up top (I pass Young on the left and Mata right). So he won points last season in a certain way, but he changes again even if he has the material and the strength in depth.

I’m totally disabused about him, his management. He spent 250M£ in 12 months and we can’t have better than Jones + Blind behind ? Mata as a winger ? and an average Young as our best player ?

I think, and I’m sure that we’re to soft, kind with him because he’s better than Moyes. But when we look clearly everything, it’s not good enough, and we’re going the same way this year. Just let’s hop that we’ll finish top 4 again this season, sack him, and have Ancelotti at United.
Wow. Subtle

prath92

I wonder how long until he loses the fans? Could a disaster start lead him to be sacked by January?
He is rumoured to be sacked if he doesn't win every game by more than 5 goals since he spent £250m in 12 months. Oh and it doesn't count if the team includes Rooney or Blind.

SirFergie

I fully agree that he wasn't very good - and if he fecks off, so be it, we'll manage without him.

The problem - in an LVG "performance" context - is that at this stage the Di Maria situation makes it natural to ask questions regarding LVG's astuteness/judgment.

In short: Why the hell did he opt for Di Maria in the first place? Right now it looks like a terrible decision - and we need a set of mitigating circumstances coming to the surface before LVG can redeem himself.
Reasonable questions and a reasonable suggestion in the sense that LvGs judgement could be called into question.

However, it could be that Di Maria simply didn't want to be here, hence the piss poor performances and the seeming 'cold shoulder' from LvG. But IMO Di Maria is driving this move hence the no show on the plane.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

My take on it is that he realised his team was in dire need of some star-dust and Di Maria was available, rated as one of the most exciting and talented footballers around and offered to him on a plate. He arguably fecked up by failing with his due diligence but you can see why he cut corners, given the scale of the overhaul needed and the lack of time to do it.

I also think we're paying the price of hiring a manager who is used to having a DoF oversee all of the transfers. That's the elephant in the room here. Was Van Gaal even the right candidate for the type of manager we need?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think we'll honestly be in for a good season if we play Mata behind Rooney and play Memphis on the wing. Bringing Pedro in to replace AdM would be a significant improvement to the team play. I'd be much more confident in us as a team if we used Jones and Smalling at CB instead of Blind and if we kept hold of DDG for one season to look for a replacement (Begovic would have been ideal). Playing Herrera is probably what's key in midfield because he just has that bit of attacking quality our other midfielders are lacking. Our back four has 3/4 good players with Jones being the only significant "weak" link, we need a leader there.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
However, it could be that Di Maria simply didn't want to be here, hence the piss poor performances and the seeming 'cold shoulder' from LvG.
Sure, could be. Personally I'm not very impressed with the whole affair. You can take a punt on a certain kind of player, no issue with that. Taking a punt on the most expensive player we've ever bought is a bit different. Calls for more scrutiny, if you will.

ChaddyP

this for me. My only qualms. Hope he extends personally

pauldyson1uk

Him saying he wants to quit in 2 years has pissed me off , 2 years is nothing and not long enough to build a PL and CL winning team and stay at the top.
Just has the team is built and playing the way he wants , he will be going.

bucky

My take on it is that he realised his team was in dire need of some star-dust and Di Maria was available, rated as one of the most exciting and talented footballers around and offered to him on a plate. He arguably fecked up by failing with his due diligence but you can see why he cut corners, given the scale of the overhaul needed and the lack of time to do it.

I also think we're paying the price of hiring a manager who is used to having a DoF oversee all of the transfers. That's the elephant in the room here. Was Van Gaal even the right candidate for the type of manager we need?
Not sure, what you mean. Considering what kind of players van Gaal wanted and signed at other clubs, we can actually count us lucky. Herrera, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian and Memphis are great signings. Blind and Rojo are decent as well. Di Maria didn't work out and neither did Falcao. Romero doesn't convince me at all and I'd rather given Johnstone a chance. All in all it's still quite good. For example Trapp would have been a far better choice than Romero.

How van Gaal makes use of the squad is the problem. He's a very good coach and IMO his ruthlessness was needed to get rid of some players, but at the same time he makes baffling decisions. I've defended him a lot last season, but he's going to piss me off this season.

bucky

Him saying he wants to quit in 2 years has pissed me off , 2 years is nothing and not long enough to build a PL and CL winning team and stay at the top.
Just has the team is built and playing the way he wants , he will be going.
It can easily be avoided by hiring a manager like Guardiola, who believes in possession football as well.

Riz

I'm a tad frustrated because I think we've got the materials for a very very good first XI but I'm almost resigned to the following:
Blind at CB until Rojo is fit (rather play Smalling and Jones)
Herrera benched as he's seen as one of the 2 holding mids now and 4th in the pecking order (has to start in my book)
Memphis in the hole (prefer him on the left)
Mata and Young as wingers (prefer Memphis and Pedro)

Sam

I'm a tad frustrated because I think we've got the materials for a very very good first XI but I'm almost resigned to the following:
Blind at CB until Rojo is fit (rather play Smalling and Jones)
Herrera benched as he's seen as one of the 2 holding mids now and 4th in the pecking order (has to start in my book)
Memphis in the hole (prefer him on the left)
Mata and Young as wingers (prefer Memphis and Pedro)
I'd agree with this.

The tools seem to be there, but they're being used badly.

Riz

I'd agree with this.

The tools seem to be there, but they're being used badly.
It's a shame because the past few times we've called for changes, as a fan base we've been spot on:
Drop 352
Bench 2 of Rooney, RvP, Falcao to play a lone striker
Reinstate Herrera

Now obviously we know feck all about football compared to LVG but he nailed the starting XI towards the end of the season after lots of trial and error. Just feels to me like we're looking at a similar season where we'll lose ground in the beginning chasing ideals like Blind's distribution from the back.

Sam

It's a shame because the past few times we've called for changes, as a fan base we've been spot on:
Drop 352
Bench 2 of Rooney, RvP, Falcao to play a lone striker
Reinstate Herrera

Now obviously we know feck all about football compared to LVG but he nailed the starting XI towards the end of the season after lots of trial and error. Just feels to me like we're looking at a similar season where we'll lose ground in the beginning chasing ideals like Blind's distribution from the back.
Agree with all of that.

LVG just tries far too hard to be 'clever'. Almost like doing the obvious thing is beneath him, he has too prove how clever he is. Its really not hard to see why he ends up getting sacked so much, but leaves the squad in a good position. He's right on track to do the same here.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I like LVG a lot and really hope he steps up this season because unfortunately for him, I can see the club cutting their losses especially as Ancelloti will no doubt become available next season.

pauldyson1uk

I like LVG a lot and really hope he steps up this season because unfortunately for him, I can see the club cutting their losses especially as Ancelloti will no doubt become available next season.
With LvG saying he will retire in 2 seasons, will the club give him those 2 season or expect something big next season, and like you say Ancelloti may be available next season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
With LvG saying he will retire in 2 seasons, will the club give him those 2 season or expect something big next season, and like you say Ancelloti may be available next season.
Haven't a clue what the club plans but really hoping things go right for us and LVG. I have a lot of respect for him, and love that he respects the club and fans. He is an ideal United manager in so many ways, but just worry a bit about his 'tinkering' and hope it doesn't cost him.
The truth is football and our club especially is so obligated to keeping our sponsors happy that there really is no time for failure nowadays. I can see them getting antsy if our results are poor and that would obviously be something our board would have to deal with.

In any case, I'm fully behind our team and manager and we can only wait and see.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
At the end of last season I had a lot of hope. I thought he had decided on 4-3-3 and it give us a great foundation to build on. I considered Herrera to a major part of that 3 and when we signed Schwein and Schneid I thought great we have a formidable midfield now. But instead he's decided to entirely scrap the formation and move to 4-2-3-1....I find it strange when he lines up with Carrick and Schwein when we've all read of the problems with Alonso (similar to carrick imo) + Schwein

Now he's gone back to his complete experimental bullshit and has made Jones-Blind the CB partnership. I have little faith in this man right now. He makes the strangest forking changes for no reason. Herrera and Smalling completely dropped. FFS what is wrong with our manager :(

Sam

At the end of last season I had a lot of hope. I thought he had decided on 4-3-3 and it give us a great foundation to build on. I considered Herrera to a major part of that 3 and when we signed Schwein and Schneid I thought great we have a formidable midfield now. But instead he's decided to entirely scrap the formation and move to 4-2-3-1....I find it strange when he lines up with Carrick and Schwein when we've all read of the problems with Alonso (similar to carrick imo) + Schwein

Now he's gone back to his complete experimental bullshit and has made Jones-Blind the CB partnership. I have little faith in this man right now. He makes the strangest forking changes for no reason. Herrera and Smalling completely dropped. FFS what is wrong with our manager :(
Agree 1000000% with all of this. All my excitement and anticipation has been completely drained for this season already.

It just seems like its going to be another season of frustrating and ridiculous decisions from LVG.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As is Klopp.
Or Brentan.

But yes, there will be candidates. Who knows, even Pep could be available next summer.

I personally don't think 4th is considered an acceptable finish (by the board, that is). And certainly not if it's a repeat of last season's stumble-along-to-fourth.

Considering the spend and what should be our natural ambitions, LVG's progression should be something like this:

(1): Stabilize, implement philosophy, clear out, secure CL football.
(2): Improve considerably, put up proper fight for titles.
(3): Win the league.

If we don't look like we've moved on from (1) come next summer, I reckon he's gone.