Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performance Thread

Van Gaal: The verdict

• 1) Sack him now.

• 2) Sack him at the end of the season.

• 3) Let him see out his contract and part ways after that.

• 4) Extend his contract.

• Undecided (between 1 and 2).

• Undecided (between 2 and 3).

• Undecided (between 3 and 4, if things improve before his contract expires, extend).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hed Zitin

Let's see what happens when the window shuts. Not impressed with Mata out wide and Januzaj in the 10 role at all.

I hope his interview post match is all for show because that was the same old shite as last season for 85% of the season.

He really hasn't got a clue how to break down a parked bus so far.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Saying getting Pep will win us every game is not hyperbole of what his detractors have said? I doubt even the United Facebook fans would post that..its a way shutting down criticism of LVG by making it sound like all the criticism he gets is as ridiculous as that statement and thus should be ignored..thats exactly what a straw man argument is..

Of course the post Fergie transition will be dfficult, but both managers that have followed the great man have played a part in creating some of the problems that they have faced..No one here is saying that the sky is falling, but they are genuine reservations here about the football being played, some of the tactics and squad management..that cannot be blamed on transition..that is the main point that people are making..that LVG is accountable for such things.
You're taking a joke - which wasn't aimed at you - far too seriously.

We didn't get the result, no, but we really were not half as bad as you'd think reading the posts/threads on here. It's one thing to critique the play and the manager, it's another to say he needs to be gone if we don't sign a striker by Sept 1 or if we're not in 4th place by December. IMO, most of the complaining was already in place and ready to be unleashed at the first negative result by hopeless romantics ("this isn't the United I grew up with boo hoo") who have no solution to offer besides an updated take on Sack Fergie, Sell Giggs.

hungrywing

Let's see what happens when the window shuts. Not impressed with Mata out wide and Januzaj in the 10 role at all.

I hope his interview post match is all for show because that was the same old shite as last season for 85% of the season.

This thread should just be that bolded part on repeat until some intern in the fan-opinion department finally gets it through to him (or more accurately, his ego).

It's borderline ridiculous at this point ('this point' being the point where he's bought the midfielders and the RB whose previous lack thereof were ostensibly forcing him to play a certain way)

marlowe78

This thread should just be that bolded part on repeat until some intern in the fan-opinion department finally gets it through to him (or more accurately, his ego).

It's borderline ridiculous at this point ('this point' being the point where he's bought the midfielders and the RB whose previous lack thereof were ostensibly forcing him to play a certain way)

No telling if he's going to because of his possession game. When you're up against a bus parker, sometimes you have to let them have the ball and try to create opportunities on the counter. That is completely adverse to what LVG believes in.

SalfordRed1960

No telling if he's going to because of his possession game. When you're up against a bus parker, sometimes you have to let them have the ball and try to create opportunities on the counter. That is completely adverse to what LVG believes in.
Yep, I am pretty sure than in all his time as a manager he has never come across the PTB.:wenger:

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Anyone on here listen to Drive on Talk Sport? I'm sure there are people that do.

And I'm also sure most on here agree that a lot of the time Adrian Durham speaks utter rubbish. But the one thing I absolutely agree with is his views on stats.

If you look at today's stats on face value it looks good. 20 shots at goal, half on target and dominated possession. What's all the panic about?

Well... Two shots by Rooney were from outside the area (one considerably so) and both were food and drink for any keeper. Two were Mata efforts that again were simple saves from the keeper. And another was from Shaw which again... Straight at him.

Stats can be over valued. They can give a false representation of a game. Did we do enough to win? Maybe. Did Newcastle deserve a point? Probably. See you'd look at their shots on goal tally and think they didn't do much. Yet had the better chances.

LVG has a lot to prove to us as fans. I'm not saying he won't get it right but the jury is very much out. His tactics have been too negative and he makes some baffling decisions. Like Mata who to me looks like he's itching to be the play maker. He constantly cuts inside looking to create but of course that instantly means there's no wide option on the right.

I get that teams will park the bus against us. It's a tactic I don't like but one we've come to expect. Yet still we look inept at breaking them down. LVG knows it's coming so why does he not adjust his tactics slightly?

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I wasn't able to watch the game but read the live ticker. It seemed like we were completely dominating them in the first 30 to 35 minutes but just didn't take advantage of our money chances? If that's the case, then there's not much to complain about. Our players have the quality to use those chances and put the opponent away, they just didn't finish very well tonight. I suppose Newcastle realized that we were steamrolling them early on and as a result sat back and just waited for counter attacks, thus taking away from our ability to create chances. And apparently, we still had some even with them parking the bus. When the bus is parked, it is hard enough to create chances as it is. If you don't take the ones early in the game when they weren't sitting back with 10 men and if you don't take those few you have when they are sitting back, then it's only the players' fault for not doing their jobs.

With that being said, van Gaal prefers to play it safe, especially in a tough league where dropping points can prove to be costly. I don't always like the way we play either, but that's just the nature of the business. He's only here for three years and he desperately wants to win a title in the BPL as well before he goes into retirement. So he's not gonna take too many gambles when looking for that goal. We saw it last year when City dropped points in games they shouldn't have and the year before when Chelsea dropped points in games they shouldn't have. Those are the ones that are gonna cost you the title.

Rednotdead

A quarter of a million spent and into his second season. He really should be doing better than this by now.

santeria13

Sublemon
Really don't understand all the moaning about not being able to break down a team that parks a bus today. Yes, that's generally been a big problem but on another day with a bit more luck, we could have easily had 4 or 5 goals. Creating opportunities has generally been the issue with teams that sit so deep. Our problem today was that most of our opportunities on goal and a lot of the final balls were very poor and un clinical. The last 20 minutes were the most dangerous we have looked in any game thus far this season and probably since Tottenham last season and yet people complain that we didn't break them down?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Poor changes today. Could have won that game easily.

Rednotdead

Really don't understand all the moaning about not being able to break down a team that parks a bus today. Yes, that's generally been a big problem but on another day with a bit more luck, we could have easily had 4 or 5 goals. Creating opportunities has generally been the issue with teams that sit so deep. Our problem today was that most of our opportunities on goal and a lot of the final balls were very poor and un clinical. The last 20 minutes were the most dangerous we have looked in any game thus far this season and probably since Tottenham last season and yet people complain that we didn't break them down?
"Breaking them down" to most people means scoring a goal.

OldRed73

Don't agree with people saying Newcastle parked the bus - 7 shots on goal, 5 corners and two gilt-edged chances prove otherwise - they defended when they had to and they also attacked - it's not like they packed their penalty area for 90 minutes

Devil may care

Yes, he would have done Comical Ali proud.

Apparently we were "fantastic". I think he must have been smoking something.
:nervous: I always worry when managers start in with that kind of over the top praise of a clearly less than good performance.

R'hllor

You're a strange one.
Not really just sick and tired watching how some poking from the shadows at every giving chance,how when there is nothing to use as beating stick,they even then make something up.So yea,want to see them step up on the light and ask for his head,make a thread.

Recently,if you ask them,what ever LvG says it makes us and him a laughing stock,his every single move,transfer,attempt of transfer,tactical decision,formation,substitution is shambles.When we win,then attempts on target are issue,today we had some but failed to score,last season at the start we were conceding all over the place,now we look decent in that department,nope,thats not important now.Hell,they even feel sorry for those so called journos(morons) on press conf.,making it sound like they being molested by LvG. No one really knows what happened in Pedro case,nope,its LvG/Woodward fault,they fecked up.

People here have a go at Merson for his prediction/opinions,Merson and those ABUs from BBC podcast look like little babies compared with some on this forum.

Not saying that everything is great and that LvG is faultless but in same time its not everything bad and its not everything their fault and feck up.

santeria13

Sublemon
"Breaking them down" to most people means scoring a goal.
Unfortunately, this. The attempts on goal and final balls were at fault today, not our penetration. As the poster above mentioned, it seems people will always want to find a stick to beat LVG and his decisions with. Nothing is ever going to be perfect from game to game and a lot of these posters are complaining at, for lack of better words, a lack of perfection. We won the game but we didn't create enough. We created enough but didn't win the game. We didn't start this player. This player didn't play in his 'best' position. The only way to appease such people would be to win every game by a margin of 2/3 goals or more while having over 10 dangerous opportunities on goal, playing beautiful football and keeping a constant clean sheet. You only need to look at the top teams around the world to see it doesn't work that way.The closest to that level right now are Barcelona and even they are far from perfect. Athletic Bilabo anyone?

That said, even if we did all these things, you'd still have posters claiming that we were lucky and that we 'will soon be found out' due to van gaals negative tactics and 'players being played out of position' or 'said man not starting'. Watch what happens when Blind makes his first costly mistake of the season, even if it's 15 games in.

I was actually pleased with the performance, specially after our last two league games and although incredibly frustrated with the final result was feeling positive. Then I made the mistake of coming to read the Caf...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

lem8sh

Not really just sick and tired watching how some poking from the shadows at every giving chance,how when there is nothing to use as beating stick,they even then make something up.So yea,want to see them step up on the light and ask for his head,make a thread.

Recently,if you ask them,what ever LvG says it makes us and him a laughing stock,his every single move,transfer,attempt of transfer,tactical decision,formation,substitution is shambles.When we win,then attempts on target are issue,today we had some but failed to score,last season at the start we were conceding all over the place,now we look decent in that department,nope,thats not important now.Hell,they even feel sorry for those so called journos(morons) on press conf.,making it sound like they being molested by LvG. No one really knows what happened in Pedro case,nope,its LvG/Woodward fault,they fecked up.

People here have a go at Merson for his prediction/opinions,Merson and those ABUs from BBC podcast look like little babies compared with some on this forum.

Not saying that everything is great and that LvG is faultless but in same time its not everything bad and its not everything their fault and feck up.
That does drive me bananas as well.

Name Changed

weso26
Did he actually say in the post match comments that he was happy with the forward line and doesn't need to sign anyone? If he did, then....

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Did he actually say in the post match comments that he was happy with the forward line and doesn't need to sign anyone? If he did, then....
Who would you sign this late in the window that could make a massive difference over what we have now ?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I still can't stand LVG, I'm not basing it on this match but I just don't like him. I never have and I never will. We aren't winning anything whilst he's at the club.

£250 million spent and only 2 world class player (and one of them wants to leave). With that amount of money we should have a squad capable of winning the champions league as well as a team that can win the league but we aren't even close. Two players recently avaliable in Pedro and otemendi both immensely talented and both would walk straight into our team and both if reports are true actually wanted to come here but because they don't fit the "philosophy" that idiot turned them down. Another season of 4th place beckons for us only this time liverpool will be much better and could give us a real run for 4th.

santeria13

Sublemon
I still can't stand LVG, I'm not basing it on this match but I just don't like him. I never have and I never will. We aren't winning anything whilst he's at the club.

£250 million spent and only 2 world class player (and one of them wants to leave). With that amount of money we should have a squad capable of winning the champions league as well as a team that can win the league but we aren't even close. Two players recently avaliable in Pedro and otemendi both immensely talented and both would walk straight into our team and both if reports are true actually wanted to come here but because they don't fit the "philosophy" that idiot turned them down. Another season of 4th place beckons for us only this time liverpool will be much better and could give us a real run for 4th.
I am waiting for the moment to quote you on such a sweeping statement if we do win anything. Don't like him ? Fair enough. I hate Rooney both as a player(currently) and as a person but have repeatedly said he can change my mind with some good form and goals. I have never said that said good form definitely wouldn't come and that I won't be proved wrong. Hell, I'd love to be proved wrong. As for his personality, not so much.

You're telling me you wouldn't have signed up Di Maria/ Falcao given the opportunity and the reputation/ability they possessed at that moment in time? You're also disregarding the amount of players that have left the club along with their wage bills. Our net spend hasn't been that high at all under LVG. Furthermore, Herrera, Shaw, blind, darmian,schneiderin and schweinsteiger have all been good signings in hindsight. All in all, we are in better shape than when he took over. I don't see how anyone could argue with this. As for whether he can take us to the next step and begin seriously challenging for and winning trophies, is yet to be seen. By no means have I said he has proven his worth yet, but 3 games into the season and 2 points dropped and people are already throwing their toys out of the pram. At least wait till the end of the season or even midway before making such sweeping judgements.

Last edited:

World Game

Say, Chicharito's chance goes in and everyone would have been full of praise and agree that it was a fantastic performance. Seems many people always let the result cloud their judgement on the performance. Was evident last season too with bad performance/good results games.

United again!

I take it you missed the whole zombie football thread. Piss poor to watch compared to SAF's vintage sides, only saving grace was the sheer confidence SAF inspired throughout the side to stay the course and find a way. Sure there were some great comebacks but most of them were a product of us playing well below the standards we needed to and the best example of how far standards fell came after SAF left.
Obviously, I've not been here long. I don't let the collective discussion blight my own personal opinion. I still feel that is complete revisionism. But again, that is my opinion and you have yours.

I prefer the system built on attacking football, creating chances and attacking as the variable. Not holding the ball and starving the opposition of it. That imo will never work in England and will never win you enough games. It will only turn tough games against teams who dig in into draws.

Name Changed

weso26
Who,maybe i am wrong but think he asked for a name not for a position.
There are countless threads in the transfer forum about players. I wasn't arsed because every player I come up with would be argued and I frankly haven't the time nor the patience. But for the sake of keeping you happy... Let me think. Kane, Griezmann, Aubameyang, Lukaku, Kruse, Lacazette. 5 players who would be attainable albeit at extraordinary prices. All would make a huge improvement to the squad, an improvement that could help us actually challenge. If LVG thinks that we have a possibility of challenging for trophies with Rooney as our main and only striker then he will be sadly mistaken.