Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performance Thread

Van Gaal: The verdict

• 1) Sack him now.

• 2) Sack him at the end of the season.

• 3) Let him see out his contract and part ways after that.

• 4) Extend his contract.

• Undecided (between 1 and 2).

• Undecided (between 2 and 3).

• Undecided (between 3 and 4, if things improve before his contract expires, extend).

Results are only viewable after voting.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
If that is your opinion then you can enjoy that one. I don't agree at all.
I take it you missed the whole zombie football thread. Piss poor to watch compared to SAF's vintage sides, only saving grace was the sheer confidence SAF inspired throughout the side to stay the course and find a way. Sure there were some great comebacks but most of them were a product of us playing well below the standards we needed to and the best example of how far standards fell came after SAF left.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
well of course we would all be happy if we won by a big score. But we could also have lost 2-0. We need to do more than just control matches. We need to be clinical. Hopefully that will happen with the full compliment of players coming in. van Gaal can have no excuses after that.
You are trying to change to goal posts now really. You didn't mention anything about nearly losing 2-0 before (one of their chances btw was because we committed too many players forward), you said we were too cautious which I disagreed and proved why I feel we wasn't. Of course we need to be more clinical, I said as much in my previous post too, but at least admit you were wrong to say we were too cautious. ;)

Empire

Reading this thread you'd think Newcastle got more than 0 shots on target, you'd also think we didn't create a number of chances. You would also think the United of old played football at 100mph from the start scoring 4 goals a game instead of patiently passing it around creating chances throughout the game.

It's obvious our play needs to improve in the final third but the signs are promising and even today we created some, not just do we need to put them away but there needs to be more movement and intelligent runs to create the space needed to open up a route into their box. That's exactly what Wenger, Mourinho and Ferguson did, disorganise the opposition defence, this leads to chances and it's what Louis van Gaal will do.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Could have done better with the subs.
He was criticized for Valencia but Darmian had been a bit found out and so can't blame LvG for trying Tony's pace instead. Carrick, I thought was a good sub since Schweini still does't seem 100%. Hernandez for Januzaj was also spot on.

SirAF

Ageist
He was criticized for Valencia but Darmian had been a bit found out and so can't blame LvG for trying Tony's pace instead. Carrick, I thought was a good sub since Schweini still does't seem 100%. Hernandez for Januzaj was also spot on.
100% agree. There's no reason for people to be unhappy with the manager today.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
You are trying to change to goal posts now really. You didn't mention anything about nearly losing 2-0 before (one of their chances btw was because we committed too many players forward), you said we were too cautious which I disagreed and proved why I feel we wasn't. Of course we need to be more clinical, I said as much in my previous post too, but at least admit you were wrong to say we were too cautious. ;)
I was not wrong. We were too cautious. we simply disagree. ;)

I am saying Newcastle are shite.. :)

lem8sh

At home to Newcastle at 0-0 there is no need for two defensive midfielders, Herrera should have come on for Schweini without a doubt.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
At home to Newcastle at 0-0 there is no need for two defensive midfielders, Herrera should have come on for Schweini without a doubt.
I don't think Herrera would've made a difference beyond the difference Carrick made. He was very lively and creative in his distribution which gave us a bit of a spark for the remainder of the game.

prath92

I was not wrong. We were too cautious. we simply disagree. ;)

I am saying Newcastle are shite.. :)
Cautious? Lol. You must have watched another game. We had countless chances. If anything we were too adventurous towards yhe end

Ronnie O'Sullivan

We needed a goal and he brought on Carrick instead of Herrara. Hernandez should been on earlier as the Rooney Januzaj pairing wasn't working well. Perhaps he should have even replaced Rooney instead of Januzaj

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We needed a goal and he brought on Carrick instead of Herrara. Hernandez should been on earlier as the Rooney Januzaj pairing wasn't working well. Perhaps he should have even replaced Rooney instead of Januzaj
Not sure at all about Herrera. He's become a bit of a Kagawa II around here with people constantly moaning about why is isn't played more. I don't know whether he would've made a difference beyond what Carrick contributed to be honest.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I think Darmian was looking a bit tired also so not too bothered about that sub.

RedMilo

Not sure at all about Herrera. He's become a bit of a Kagawa II around here with people constantly moaning about why is isn't played more. I don't know whether he would've made a difference beyond what Carrick contributed to be honest.
Yes & LVG was wrong to sell Kagawa, Fergie was convinced and linked up well with RVP in our last title winning season.

Rob Bowman

I have two issues after watching that game.

1) Why is Herrera on the bench? He could have come on for Januzaj or Sceiderlin...

2) We need a player like Pedro, Bale, someone with more speed. With faster wingers Mata can shift centrally and pull more strings.

Honestly the frustrating thing is the issues are so obvious and yet LVG will do nothing about them simply because he is stubborn :(.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
He is an embarrassment and I may not keep watching. Buy Bale, Benzema, and Mueller, appoint Pep and watch us win every match!

Is this how it's done?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think he deserves much criticism today mostly because his subs were spot-on, but he definitely doesn't deserve much praise either.

Our game plan in every game seems to be the same, which obviously isn't good, especially because we are struggling in attack even against mediocre defences. Even if we scored in first minute today we would win at best 2-0, because after the HT we would bring Carrick and Herrera just to control the game(read: sit and defend without doing anything stupid).

We are lacking creativity and goals but with every game passing we seem to be doing even more of the same thing. I don't see that we are trying anything new, even simple things like throw ins and unusual corners would be enough to prove me that we are actually doing something different but no.
One of the worst things are our counterattacks that are quite frankly embarassing. I don't think anyone in the league is less dangerous than us on the break which is obviously something that is hard to swallow after so many years under Fergie.

This is just my opinion in general, even after today I am quite happy with our start of the season result wise though.

RedMilo

Its not about buying all the world's best players or to quote the media a 'marquee' signing which I feckin hate, its judging the team on both results and performances and whether can you see a successful period for the club. The results are acceptable so far, we have had far worse starts to a season, the performances show there remains a lack of quality which shouldn't be the case after the money thats already been spent and I never feel confident in the team like I used to, I feel the club lack a sense of direction & identity under LVG.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Make a straw man argument that no one has used in order to argue a point, then mock that extremely made up argument to show how the opposite true..yes, right on course.
It's not a straw man argument. Hell it's not an argument at all. There is no panacea to cure what ails us - no matter what it will take time and the people (in this thread and elsewhere) calling for a quick solution are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment. Yes, we should have won today but to react so strongly to today's result, without acknowledging a continued uptick in performance, is the sign of someone not paying close attention. We've got problems, like every team tbf, but I have faith that they'll be addressed. The sky is not falling because of a home draw to Newcastle in our 3rd match.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I feel one more poor United result and there'll be a "van Gaal out" thread here soon. Remember Klopp fans, your hero is available.

JoaquinJoaquin

There isn't half some people in here with their heads well and truly in the sand, probably the ones who take MUTV as gospel, quite embarrassing really.

We have played worse football then today but there was no need for Scweinsteiger and Schneiderlin to be starting, Herrera should of started.

Rooney is finished at the top level, you can make all the excuses in the world for him but you'll be the same ones saying 'I knew he was finished' 12 months after he has gone.

Any team that aspires to win the league gets the 3 points today, these are the ones that determines who wins it and who is the also rans.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I hate the football he plays, and would seriously reconsider his position at the end of the season..But lets not jump from one pan into the fire...
Don't get me wrong mate, Giggs as manager would be ridiculous, but I'm just so fed up of LVG's football that I'd actually be on board if it meant getting rid of the stubborn Dutchman.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
We made 20 chances, near enough half on target, hit the post, centre back and make shift right back had good games for them, lucky blocks, good saves and the post denied us. Our goalkeeper didn't have a shot on target to deal with I believe.

Sometimes, these games happen, we did everything right but score today and people are complaining, before we didn't nothing right except scoring and the same people were complaining.

Some of you need to have a word with yourself.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Huge difference, Herrera has already provided performances and importantly goals. For that reason alone he should have been brought on rather than carrick

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We made 20 chances, near enough half on target, hit the post, centre back and make shift right back had good games for them, lucky blocks, good saves and the post denied us. Our goalkeeper didn't have a shot on target to deal with I believe.

Sometimes, these games happen, we did everything right but score today and people are complaining, before we didn't nothing right except scoring and the same people were complaining.

Krul only really made one good save to be fair.

In terms of clear-cut chances, there was only really the Smalling one and the Hernandez one, not like we created a shit load of them. I thought we were decent in spells, but similarly - as I said in another thread - we could have played for another 90 minutes and we'd still have struggled to score.

With our current options up front, I don't think this sort of game will be an exception for us.

Getsme

I do think LVG is more afraid of losing over risking all for the win.

Rednotdead

Newcastle hit the bar.

Your assertion that "some of you need to have a word with yourself" is rather baseless because this wasn't just a one-off. The failure to score is a continuation of the first two games and can you really see anything changing in the next game at Swansea?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Newcastle hit the bar.

Your assertion that "some of you need to have a word with yourself" is rather baseless because this wasn't just a one-off. The failure to score is a continuation of the first two games and can you really see anything changing in the next game at Swansea?
I honestly don't know, we could bring in somebody else, something drastic could happen against Brugge whom we dealt with handily enough in the week. 3 wasn't it ? Didn't seem too bad that night.

As I say, these games happen, we are 7 out of 9 and yea I fancy our chances against an open Swansea side with them at home.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Binning players before we had replacements was a little naive from Van Gaal/Woodward. We will probably end the summer window without a striker or right winger coming in, when we could have at least kept RvP and Nani for another year, or even Di Maria could have just been told to shut up and get on with it. I'm a big fan of Mata, but he's not a winger, and his best spells come when he drifts into the middle. We are lacking pace from both sides, and a competent out and out #9. Surely RvP couldn't have been as blunt and unthreatening as Rooney has been.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It's not a straw man argument. Hell it's not an argument at all. There is no panacea to cure what ails us - no matter what it will take time and the people (in this thread and elsewhere) calling for a quick solution are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment. Yes, we should have won today but to react so strongly to today's result, without acknowledging a continued uptick in performance, is the sign of someone not paying close attention. We've got problems, like every team tbf, but I have faith that they'll be addressed. The sky is not falling because of a home draw to Newcastle in our 3rd match.
Saying getting Pep will win us every game is not hyperbole of what his detractors have said? I doubt even the United Facebook fans would post that..its a way shutting down criticism of LVG by making it sound like all the criticism he gets is as ridiculous as that statement and thus should be ignored..thats exactly what a straw man argument is..

Of course the post Fergie transition will be dfficult, but both managers that have followed the great man have played a part in creating some of the problems that they have faced..No one here is saying that the sky is falling, but they are genuine reservations here about the football being played, some of the tactics and squad management..that cannot be blamed on transition..that is the main point that people are making..that LVG is accountable for such things.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Don't get me wrong mate, Giggs as manager would be ridiculous, but I'm just so fed up of LVG's football that I'd actually be on board if it meant getting rid of the stubborn Dutchman.
Yes, its quite bad now..but it would hurt to see Giggs the job before he is ready and see him struggle..This a tough job...But I understand your frustations