Lucas Paquetá is under investigation for potential betting breaches

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I heard about this a few months back, surprised it took so long to come out.
Can't say too much, but he's 100% guilty. Was Brazilian accounts hitting him to be booked at 7/1 and they were still staking when it went to 1/2, before the bookmakers pulled it. The only two bets the accounts had placed in the last couple of years was Paqueta to be booked on two occasionas. On both occasions he was booked. Doesn't really get anymore obvious. It got flagged up by the bookmakers at the time and pulled everywhere. I think it was about £20k total stakes as well. Having said that, it's very hard for them to prove its deliberate, so despite it being very blatant, it's hard to prove for the FA.

As far as I know, Paqueta hasn't placed any bets himself. He's being investigated for match fixing (spot fixing), not for betting like Toney etc.

Last edited:

GreatDane

The guy was so close to medals, more fame and fortune - fecked it all for away.

bstb3

So if he's banned they'll be needing a midfielder then. The dream's still alive...

edit - ^^ what he said

cyberman

Just pretend you have a gambling problem and you’ll be back by the new year.
I bet West Ham are livid they turned down that 90m offer or whatever it was

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

If only this happened after City had gambled £100m on him...

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Can't say too much, but he's 100% guilty. Was Brazilian accounts hitting him to be booked at 7/1 and they were still staking when it went to 1/2, before the bookmakers pulled it. The only two bets the accounts had placed in the last couple of years was Paqueta to be booked on two occasionas. On both occasions he was booked. Doesn't really get anymore obvious. It got flagged up by the bookmakers at the time and pulled everywhere. I think it was about £20k total stakes as well. Having said that, it's very hard for them to prove its deliberate, so despite it being very blatant, it's hard to prove for the FA.

As far as I know, Paqueta hasn't placed any bets himself. He's being investigated for match fixing (spot fixing), not for betting like Toney etc.
So only 2 charges ? No wonder City dropped their interest, he's not up to their standards :o

Malkovich

How did you know?

Last edited:

The Purley King

Spot fixing is way worse than betting on random PL games, even ones involving your own team (Toney).
He should be banned for a very long time. Cricket bans for this sort of thing are measured in years.
Also if they prove a link between the account owner(s) and the player he is banged to rights. Very easy to prove.
Career thrown away for what? £200k?
Crazy behaviour

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Spot fixing is way worse than betting on random PL games, even ones involving your own team (Toney).
He should be banned for a very long time. Cricket bans for this sort of thing are measured in years.
Also if they prove a link between the account owner(s) and the player he is banged to rights. Very easy to prove.
Career thrown away for what? £200k?
Crazy behaviour
what is the difference between spot fixing and normal betting? as in what is spot fixing? Is it like the snooker where you deliberatly miss a shot?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is it really off? Have him in my fantasy team purely on the assumption he's going to City. ffs

Jordan_mufc

what is the difference between spot fixing and normal betting? as in what is spot fixing? Is it like the snooker where you deliberatly miss a shot?
Spot fixing is when you alter the actions of a game to suit a bet. I.e. committing a foul in a certain minute, or in tennis it would be double faulting at a certain time etc.

Normal betting is just betting on any football game. Footballers aren't allowed to bet on any game of footy, period.

The Purley King

Like @Jordan_mufc said. In cricket is usually bowling a no-ball or a wide in a particular over.

You used to be able to bet on the time of the first throw in during a football game. Those markets were closed mainly due to spot fixing. Pass the ball back from kick off and someone “accidentally” gives it a bit much and the ball goes into the stands = bet won by someone.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Spot fixing is when you alter the actions of a game to suit a bet. I.e. committing a foul in a certain minute, or in tennis it would be double faulting at a certain time etc.

Normal betting is just betting on any football game. Footballers aren't allowed to bet on any game of footy, period.
Thanks. That sounds serious for paqueta.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
How did you know?
I’m involved in the industry. Lot of friends work at bookmakers so get told a lot of things. Close friend is a trader where they staked the bet the most. I’ve seen the bets placed and got told about it prior to the game once it got flagged up.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Couldn't they wait a bit to announce this ffs

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
I sincerely hope it was a dumb decision and not him being coerced to do it by shady individuals.