Lucas Paquetá is under investigation for potential betting breaches

Oranges038

Like @Jordan_mufc said. In cricket is usually bowling a no-ball or a wide in a particular over.

You used to be able to bet on the time of the first throw in during a football game. Those markets were closed mainly due to spot fixing. Pass the ball back from kick off and someone “accidentally” gives it a bit much and the ball goes into the stands = bet won by someone.
Matt Le Tissier admitted to doing this, but I think the joke was on him as Iain Dowie or someone managed to keep the ball in.

Fergies Gum

Like @Jordan_mufc said. In cricket is usually bowling a no-ball or a wide in a particular over.

You used to be able to bet on the time of the first throw in during a football game. Those markets were closed mainly due to spot fixing. Pass the ball back from kick off and someone “accidentally” gives it a bit much and the ball goes into the stands = bet won by someone.
Similar markets are still offered by the likes of 365. You can still bet on set pieces, throw ins, etc to be awarded in a specific minute.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

from March
He was inexplicably odds on to be booked (presumably because of the sheer volume of money being lumped on). He dives for a slide tackle from behind for absolutely no reason on the halfway line. He was the only player booked in the whole match.

Dead to rights, surely.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
He was inexplicably odds on to be booked (presumably because of the sheer volume of money being lumped on). He dives for a slide tackle from behind for absolutely no reason on the halfway line. He was the only player booked in the whole match.

Dead to rights, surely.
It’s extremely hard to prove, especially when the bets are placed outside the UK. There’s a surprising amount of stuff like this that gets flagged up, but the investigations can never really prove it despite it being extremely obvious. The only ones I’m aware of being caught are British players whose friends placed the bets at UK bookmakers. The police will speak to those who placed the bet and generally they will be able to prove it because of this.
When the people betting are foreign based + betting on non uk sites, it’s considerably harder to prove, despite it being 99.9999% clear what’s happened.

Brophs

The One and Only
Pacq it up, pacq it in, let me begin
I came to win, Man City, let me in
I won't ever slack up, ‘ave a bang on that, yo
Try and get a yellow, the whole crew'll act up
Get up, stand up (c'mon) c'mon, this really fecks my plans up
If ya got the feelin', someone in the crew is squealin’

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
There is a massive betting scandal going on in Brazil at the moment, I don’t think we should jump to conclusions that he was making money for friends, it was could be him bailing his friends/associates out of dept with some gangs.

Chief123

That’s why they are going after Kudus.
Kudus will be more expensive when they aren’t getting any money for Paqueta. They should come in for the cheaper option of McTominay for £32m instead.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Damn I wish this broke after City wasted money on him.
Could they have done anything about it if it happened ? Or would they have had an 80m banned asset on their books ? :p

Career over and jail time on the cards if its as serious as is being suggested.

Rojofiam

This is 100x worse than Toney. I wonder if they'll be able to punish him.

Oranges038

Lundekvam to. I guess from the same time at Southampton.
There's a name I haven't heard in years.

I suppose back in the day it was easier for footballers to do this as a one off or occasionally, because online betting hadn't really taken off and there was less chance of it being done on a bigger scale that made the odds go totally out of whack.

BootsyCollins

There's a name I haven't heard in years.

I suppose back in the day it was easier for footballers to do this as a one off or occasionally, because online betting hadn't really taken off and there was less chance of it being done on a bigger scale that made the odds go totally out of whack.
Yes, much easier.

A friend of mine played pro, he hung his boots up three years ago, said in the beginning he played alot of poker online on the betting sites without any problem.

Now he cant even create an account under his name at any betting site here, even when he no longer plays in any pro league.

arnie_ni

what is the difference between spot fixing and normal betting? as in what is spot fixing? Is it like the snooker where you deliberatly miss a shot?
It's a criminal offence I'm fairly certain.

Oranges038

Yes, much easier.

A friend of mine played pro, he hung his boots up three years ago, said in the beginning he played alot of poker online on the betting sites without any problem.

Now he cant even create an account under his name at any betting site here, even when he no longer plays in any pro league.
I can see why they don't want players gambling, because of where they might have contacts etc. but they are doing it anyway, maybe once you're finished or are doing it on a league outside of your own there should be limitations on the types of bets you can make. Like say overall results of games or scorelines, but I've always thought being able to bet on throws, corners, cards etc just leave the game open to spot fixing.

In lower paying leagues it's probably much easier to sway players on lower wages with the potential financial rewards on offer. Not sure what excuse a PL footballer could have.

Dr. StrangeHate

Apart from Phillips City really have had good fortune with their signings and missed targets.
This is what I was thinking. Had it been us, you can bet your house, we would have only found out after his first match with us.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to prove intent? He won’t get anything other than a warning.
City’s lawyers probably think different. I’d be amazed if he doesn’t get some form of ban.

Skills

Snitch
If this is spot fixing, he'll go to jail for this. It happened to the 3 Pakistani players

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to prove intent? He won’t get anything other than a warning.
Extremely hard. It’s likely nothing comes of it, as they pretty much need someone involved to admit it. Paqueta obviously won’t and they won’t be able to contact those in Brazil who placed the bets most likely.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Also, the media (and twitter) is just mentioning the Villa game. He did it v Leeds as well at the end of the season. This was the one that flagged up more so than the first one.

arnie_ni

Extremely hard. It’s likely nothing comes of it, as they pretty much need someone involved to admit it. Paqueta obviously won’t and they won’t be able to contact those in Brazil who placed the bets most likely.
What company took the bets? Can they not report the accounts to the Brazilian police to investigate

crossy1686

career ending
What company took the bets? Can they not report the accounts to the Brazilian police to investigate
What exactly are going to do? From what I understand, governing bodies of other countries don't like being told what to do by foreign governing bodies, if anything they'll just investigate so they can get in on the next bet.

arnie_ni

What exactly are going to do? From what I understand, governing bodies of other countries don't like being told what to do by foreign governing bodies, if anything they'll just investigate so they can get in on the next bet.
It could be a Brazilian betting company?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He should’ve blasted that penalty on Sunday over the bar just for the banter.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
The ones I was aware about were placed at Pinnacle (Biggest Asian bookmaker). I would imagine they would have staked local bookmakers in Brazil too + Betway it seems.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Spot fixing is way worse than betting on random PL games, even ones involving your own team (Toney).
He should be banned for a very long time. Cricket bans for this sort of thing are measured in years.
Also if they prove a link between the account owner(s) and the player he is banged to rights. Very easy to prove.
Career thrown away for what? £200k?
Crazy behaviour
Its 20k (edit ok its 6 digits, still stupid). So stupid, is that even more than his monthly wage?

Last edited:

IRN-BRUno

Also, the media (and twitter) is just mentioning the Villa game. He did it v Leeds as well at the end of the season. This was the one that flagged up more so than the first one.
Daily Mail reporting it's those 2 and also the first game of this season at Bournemouth when he shoved Zabarnyi in the last minute and showed dissent to the referee.