Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

macheda14

Not really.

If you take everything into context the signings themselves are great but it's not enough.
If you were to be really picky, you could say 'decent'. But 'poor' no. Not having it. Two problem areas filled with two absolute star players is anything but 'poor'.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We could easily raise £70-£80 million in deadwood sales. Our ridiculous wage structure that has allowed mediocre players to be given obscene contracts is what is stopping us.

Is Lingard worth £25-£30 million to a club aspiring to break into Europe? Absolutely. But very few clubs can justify and afford paying him £100k a week on top of a transfer fee.

Did I read the other day that Brandon Williams is on £65k a week? Absolutely bonkers if true.

acnumber9

Is Lingard worth £25-£30 million to a club aspiring to break into Europe? Absolutely. But very few clubs can justify and afford paying him £100k a week on top of a transfer fee.
I’d imagine clubs with hopes of breaking into Europe are already paying those kind of wages. I think the issue with Lingard is him not wanting to sign for those clubs.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Did I read the other day that Brandon Williams is on £65k a week? Absolutely bonkers if true.
I had heard that Southampton couldn't afford to take Williams on loan because he'd be one of their top earners, and that would likely cause unrest in their squad...:rolleyes:
Who knows..?

Andersons Dietician

Ole seems pretty bullish that one more should hopefully be coming on that makes it seems like they have something in the pipe line they are working on. I think for sure they probably need to move some people on first mind but wonder who this could be. Trippier, Cama, or a DM.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would still be surprised if a third good player comes in at this point. Since Varane the reports have consistently indicated that any more players brought in is dependant on those leaving. We're struggling to get certain individuals out of the door.

Maybe we could receive some fortune late in the window. Something always interesting happens in the last few days of the window.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I had heard that Southampton couldn't afford to take Williams on loan because he'd be one of their top earners, and that would likely cause unrest in their squad...:rolleyes:
Who knows..?
That's bollocks from the media because they're taking into the loan fee we're requesting for as part of Williams wages.

diarm

Ole seems pretty bullish that one more should hopefully be coming on that makes it seems like they have something in the pipe line they are working on. I think for sure they probably need to move some people on first mind but wonder who this could be. Trippier, Cama, or a DM.
I took that comment on one more coming in to mean Varane. I didn't see the whole interview though so was he really talking about someone else in addition?

theklr

Feel United owe us a out-of-the-blue announcement after they dragged out Sancho and Varane such a long time :p

bosskeano

there is no way Ole can be referencing Varane as everyone already knows that deal is done so no point in being cryptic

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
there is no way Ole can be referencing Varane as everyone already knows that deal is done so no point in being cryptic
Plus he combined what he said with the cliché "anything can happen in the market" line, strongly sounds like he's hinting at another new signing to me...

Giggsy13

Wasn’t there a report stating that clubs in Europe are set to collectively lose 8 billion euros due to Covid? There’s no money for our shit deadweight like Jones or Pereira. If we can get some of our deadweight out on loan with an option to buy that’s good business and may open up some space to sign another midfielder.

Riz

It’s really quite clear that opening line is in reference to Varane. Until the signing is announced Ole can’t confirm it, that’s why he says “of course” but then “hopefully”.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He was still speaking like Sancho wasn't a done deal after we announced we had agreed a deal with Dortmund. Wouldn't surprise me if he's speaking about Varane,

Joseunited

Can't believe he's referring to Varane as hopefully coming in if he then says at the end he's very happy with what they've done so far.Got to be another potential signing.

Abraxas

He means he's happy with what they've done so far, i.e. signing Sancho, Varane virtually done. But until everything is done and dusted it isn't done and that's why he's remaining careful with his words.

Fairly obvious he's not talking about a completely fresh transfer here, he doesn't generally do that until it's further down the line. It's possible there's a signing there that we're close to getting done that seemingly isn't being heavily reported on but it's odds against compared to the simple idea that Varane is not finalised.

Matthew84!

Definitely doesn't mean Varane, that's all done, only the public announcement with his interview to come.
Well I'm not sure who the 3rd is, as we've apparently pulled out of the Trippier deal and we're not interested in Nevas, Camavinga and Rice is to expensive.
Do people know something I don't?

honirelandboy

I still can't understand how the likes of Mata, Matic, Bailey got new contracts but that's for another thread.

Anyway unless the Fred/Scott/Matic situation is sorted then we have no chance of the league.

Need a quality midfielder like Ndidi in who can do the job of both Fred and Scott.

I still can't get my head around why we signed Mata and Matic off Chelsea when clearly they were surplus to requirements there.

With Ndidi in we can win the league!!!!!

NewYorkRed

Does he mean Varane ?
Yeah thats how I saw it- he is definitely talking about Varane here. The way he says “of course” makes it seem like he’s talking about something that is already well known and out in the open, i.e Varane. We could still sign someone else of course, but think thats not what he’s talking about here.

Andersons Dietician

I took that comment on one more coming in to mean Varane. I didn't see the whole interview though so was he really talking about someone else in addition?
Suppose you could be right. I would think most people would perceive Varane as a done deal.

Judas

Open to offers
He probably does mean Varane but its such a daft and weird way to talk about a player who has already been announced pretty much and everyone knows its a done deal.

Gandalf

I think proof of the state of the transfer market outside of the top clubs is there in the Shaqiri transfer. He is off to Lyon potentially having agreed terms but Lyon are only offering the dippers 6M plus add ons. I know he can be a lazy little feck sometimes but he is 10 times the player Andreas is so that illustrates how tough shifting your deadwood is this summer.