Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

macheda14

don't need Jovic but i'd like to see us honestly get a real #8 box to box player....that isn't Donny or Lingard or Periera so we need to move one of them before we could bring in a guy
Box to box is what we have in surplus. We have McFred who are both box to box, we have Pogba who would work better next to a CDM, we have VDB who has played in the past as a box to box. We have no properly defensively minded midfield players apart from Matic.

macheda14

There won't be any more signings after a 5-1 trouncing
I think I disagree, I think if it was a routine 2-0 then maybe not, but now Ole can build the narrative of ‘we can be dominant and win the league if we bring in one more’, rather than if we lost ‘we need someone to help’ or if we won normally

Reactions: lysglimt

lysglimt

Scout
I just can't see us signing one more attacking player - we already have Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Pogba, v.d Beek, Cavani and Martial - so even if we offload Lingard we still have 7 players fighting for 4 positions.

If we are going to sign one more player - it's a central midfielder

bosskeano

I think I disagree, I think if it was a routine 2-0 then maybe not, but now Ole can build the narrative of ‘we can be dominant and win the league if we bring in one more’, rather than if we lost ‘we need someone to help’ or if we won normally
agreed....this gives him a bit of bounce to walk in and say this is what we have to offer without Cavani, Rashford and Sancho but if you bring in said player to the mix with these 3 guys getting games we could challenge on all fronts for titles

Box to box is what we have in surplus. We have McFred who are both box to box, we have Pogba who would work better next to a CDM, we have VDB who has played in the past as a box to box. We have no properly defensively minded midfield players apart from Matic.
see that is where i disagree b/c McFred are both CDM's as they have to play next to each other as they aren't true CDM's nor are they true box to box guys who create a lot of goals or assists...probably why we call them McFred. Donny i think could be a box to box guy but fuking hell we haven't seen enough of him to really know. As i type this the more i think about it the more confused i am just simply about the balance of the midfield in that we don't have a true CDM and we don't have a true #8 to play higher up closer to Bruno. McFred just are the donkey grunt workers simply to allow Bruno to be glorious at what he does.

sosolid4u09

I just can't see us signing one more attacking player - we already have Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Pogba, v.d Beek, Cavani and Martial - so even if we offload Lingard we still have 7 players fighting for 4 positions.

If we are going to sign one more player - it's a central midfielder
I dont think anyone is suggesting we're after another attacker

Loon

:lol:
Solskjaer's post-match comments didn't lend any encouragement to this rumour. Of course, if we have outgoings...

diarm

Excluding Jones, Grant, and Varane, we already have 25 over 21 years old players. It only makes sense we will need to minimum sell two out of those 25 players first before we sign another one.
Do we?

With Jones, Grant and Varane included, I only make it 25.

Widow

I don't think so. He said 'you never know in football' this wasn't a flat no, as you'd expect i there wasn't a chance of getting a player in.

I believe it'll depend on a first team player leaving first. We'll see.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Do we?

With Jones, Grant and Varane included, I only make it 25.
I counted Sancho as 22 because we need to register him since he will be 22 in March. Actually excluded Grant and Jones I got 25.Not sure how I got 25 exclude Varane before. Still doesn’t change the point we need to sell first if we want sign a new one.

diarm

I counted Sancho as 22 because we need to register him since he will be 22 in March. Actually excluded Grant and Jones I got 25.Not sure how I got 25 exclude Varane before. Still doesn’t change the point we need to sell first if we want sign a new one.
Sancho was 20 on the 1st of January this year and as such, doesn't need to be registered this season. He will have to be this time next year.

So we still have a space if Grant and Jones are excluded. I'm fairly sure that if a player Ole wants becomes attainable, we would also happily register that player over Pereira or Lingard as well.

RetroStu

I swear centre midfield has been our weak link since the Carrick and Scholes days, and its never really been sorted, or atleast players of that quality have never been brought in.
I honestly think a defensive midfielder destroyer would make this team the best in the league. Strating eleven when everyone was fit at least.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole said the same thing about Varane deal not completed and then he came out of the tunnel holding his shirt. I wouldnt trust Ole.

diarm

We could save millions on a midfielder by employing a hypnotist to convince McTominay he's playing Leeds every week. The lad would have the Balon D'Or sewn up by Christmas.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sancho was 20 on the 1st of January this year and as such, doesn't need to be registered this season. He will have to be this time next year.

So we still have a space if Grant and Jones are excluded. I'm fairly sure that if a player Ole wants becomes attainable, we would also happily register that player over Pereira or Lingard as well.
The rule is based on end of the season. By end of the season Sancho will be reaching 22 so he must be registered.

littleman

If we can ship out some of our players like Lingard and Perreira, I think we can bring in a player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We could save millions on a midfielder by employing a hypnotist to convince McTominay he's playing Leeds every week. The lad would have the Balon D'Or sewn up by Christmas.
To be fair he was excellent in our last game of last season too. Maybe he’s just going from strength to strength. I still don’t fully see it with him but if he kept up that kind of form for the season it would be brilliant for us.

diarm

To be fair he was excellent in our last game of last season too. Maybe he’s just going from strength to strength. I still don’t fully see it with him but if he kept up that kind of form for the season it would be brilliant for us.
I was joking above - I've always thought he was a cracking young player and always believed he has a huge future at the club.

The role he plays is the toughest place on the field for a youngster to develop, especially at a club like United. Guys like Fletcher and Carrick got the same stick he gets while they were finding their way and I honestly think he can become as important a player for us. I love how much he bleeds United as well - would love to see him captain us one day.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I was joking above - I've always thought he was a cracking young player and always believed he has a huge future at the club.

The role he plays is the toughest place on the field for a youngster to develop, especially at a club like United. Guys like Fletcher and Carrick got the same stick he gets while they were finding their way and I honestly think he can become as important a player for us. I love how much he bleeds United as well - would love to see him captain us one day.
Im not sure he’s got enough quality on the ball. You could always see Fletcher was a natural footballer but physically it took him a few seasons of playing off the right and drifting in and bits and pieces like that. I don’t think McT has that natural flair for knocking the ball about and avoiding the press in his locker but he’s a force driving it forward. He’s been brilliant I must say. I really hope he can keep it going. Two really dominant displays in a row.

Bondi77

I think this journo may have inadvertently got it right but we have already made our third significant signing and that was when Ole put pen to paper on a new deal...Come On Utd!!!!!

diarm

It doesn't apply the same rule on UCL as UCL's rule based on the end of the season so in UCL he needs to be registered.
I thought you were discussing league registration. CL is a little different in that U21 players (still based on the 1st January in which the season commenced) must have been with the club for 2 years before hand. The end of season stipulation refers to the locally trained player regulations as opposed to the U21s.

It's all fairly irrelevant anyway. As mentioned, if the right player was attainable, we would simply register them in place of someone like Pereira or Lingard.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought you were discussing league registration. CL is a little different in that U21 players (still based on the 1st January in which the season commenced) must have been with the club for 2 years before hand. The end of season stipulation refers to the locally trained player regulations as opposed to the U21s.

It's all fairly irrelevant anyway. As mentioned, if the right player was attainable, we would simply register them in place of someone like Pereira or Lingard.
I was discussing everything. It’s relevant because no owners want paying big wages on players or employee who are not even registered. Thus why there is this concept sell first before buy.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Besides, we need to off-load a bunch of players before we even think of getting the next target.

11reds

Ole said the same thing about Varane deal not completed and then he came out of the tunnel holding his shirt. I wouldnt trust Ole.
This is one thing I like about Ole, he doesn't give club info out if it doesn't suit his position. I'm especially thinking about how he handled the Sanchez situation. I see he is doing the same with Lingard talking him up but in background if latest rumours are to be believed Jesse is leaving the club for West Ham.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
With Pogba staying I doubt we would sign one. But if we did, my priority would be:
1. Camavinga 30-40m
2. Neves 30-35m
3. Locatelli 30-35m

We probably also need to sell players to fund the transfer:
1. Lingard 25m
2. James 15m

Polar

I think it’s likely we’ll sign one more player, but probably prefer to sell player(s) before we buy.

We now play the waiting game because we have a pretty good hand.
  • We’ve already had a good transfer window
  • Lingard and Pereira performed well during pre-season
  • 5-1 against Leeds
Pretend we won’t sign more players and are happy with the situation and not desperate.

Other clubs are still keen to sell players and very interested in Lingard. Very surprised if we doesn’t receive bid >£20m for Lingard, and we will sell him if we do.

We will also sell Bailly or Jones if we get the opportunity. We didn’t have a CB-substitute yesterday (very strange).

If we sell Lingard I’m more unsure about Pereira. Ole prefer to have good cover.

We allegedly said we’ve stopped the hunt for example Neves and Camavinga, but I don’t believe that. We just wanted to play the initiative over on their clubs. I also think a Rice transfer is still alive.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

With Pogba staying I doubt we would sign one. But if we did, my priority would be:
1. Camavinga 30-40m
2. Neves 30-35m
3. Locatelli 30-35m

We probably also need to sell players to fund the transfer:
1. Lingard 25m
2. James 15m
Think people need to forget about James going anywhere. He started yesterday when he didn't need to. He's in Ole's plans.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Just need to sell in order to buy. Hope Andrea's, Lingard and James get sold. That will be 40-50 million to buy a good midfielder and save on the wages. Amad deserve a cameo role than James. Lingard is just surplus with so many attackers. Andrea is never rated.

worldinmotion66

I think it’s likely we’ll sign one more player, but probably prefer to sell player(s) before we buy.

We now play the waiting game because we have a pretty good hand.
  • We’ve already had a good transfer window
  • Lingard and Pereira performed well during pre-season
  • 5-1 against Leeds
Pretend we won’t sign more players and are happy with the situation and not desperate.

Other clubs are still keen to sell players and very interested in Lingard. Very surprised if we doesn’t receive bid >£20m for Lingard, and we will sell him if we do.

We will also sell Bailly or Jones if we get the opportunity. We didn’t have a CB-substitute yesterday (very strange).

If we sell Lingard I’m more unsure about Pereira. Ole prefer to have good cover.
I think Pereira will go too. We just haven't had a fair offer for him - clubs are looking for loan deals given the lack of money in the game right now. He'll go out on a loan with an obligation to buy next summer I reckon.

If we are going to play a higher line and a more pressing game, I'm not sure that we'll need an all out disciplined defensive midfielder. Someone that is more of a like for like replacement with McTominay/Fred would be the priority, as we need that energy and pressing ability. That would rule out Saul and Neves for me.

Against teams that sit deeper, I think Donny will play a lot more. We can smother them with a high press and completely dominate possession and territory. We should now have enough creative talent to break the low block down, too.

The biggest weakness in the team is AWB, but the biggest squad concern is the depth if McTominay and Fred get injured. As tidy and experienced as Matic is, his lack of mobility is a huge issue.

theklr

Think people need to forget about James going anywhere. He started yesterday when he didn't need to. He's in Ole's plans.
He didnt need to? Who should have gone instead? And dont say Sancho because he wasnt match fit enough

pacifictheme

He didnt need to? Who should have gone instead? And dont say Sancho because he wasnt match fit enough
Martial up front, Greenwood wide right. Pogba wide left. Martial has had a full pre season I believe.

theklr

Martial up front, Greenwood wide right. Pogba wide left. Martial has had a full pre season I believe.
Didnt he just play only 45 mins against Everton?

Anyway , Dan James actually had a good game in my eyes, held the with and tested the defenders with his runs so Bruno/Mason had more room in the middle. But with Sancho coming in I really cant see why it isnt enough with him and Greenwood. But Ole might seem to feel he is a necessary squad player as you say.

Joseunited

Didnt he just play only 45 mins against Everton?

Anyway , Dan James actually had a good game in my eyes, held the with and tested the defenders with his runs so Bruno/Mason had more room in the middle. But with Sancho coming in I really cant see why it isnt enough with him and Greenwood. But Ole might seem to feel he is a necessary squad player as you say.
I thought James was average at best.I didn't see much of this width you refer to.