Luis Diaz

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
That's with add-ons and all.

Regardless, not a bargain shop purchase but if he delivers I am happy with the fee. It's a good going rate for a forward you expect to become a starter.
It was reported was £37.5m + £12.5m . It is great value in today's market and especially January window for a player like him. Good scouting.

Cathy Ferguson

It was reported was £37.5m + £12.5m . It is great value in today's market and especially January window for a player like him. Good scouting.
Liverpool have the best scouts. Jota for 40m was another great signing while we keep overpaying for English mediocre players such as Sancho, Maguire and AWB.

I really hope our next manager stops this laughable strategy of building a British core. Not paying 100m for Rice would be a good start.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I thought he looked really good last night. It's going to take him a bit of time to settle into how we play properly and especially how/when to effectively press, but he has shown real desire and fight in his first two games with us. If you have that work ethic and raw talent, Klopp can work wonders. Brilliant signing and I think we'll start to see his best next season after a full pre-season with us.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought he looked really good last night. It's going to take him a bit of time to settle into how we play properly and especially how/when to effectively press, but he has shown real desire and fight in his first two games with us. If you have that work ethic and raw talent, Klopp can work wonders. Brilliant signing and I think we'll start to see his best next season after a full pre-season with us.
Bit premature, no?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Bit premature, no?
Not for fans of a sport known for knee-jerk reactions. He was very good last night. I wonder if Klopp will start him against Burnley. Mane trained today so he'll want to get going again.

Firmino should be 5th behind Salah, Mane, Diaz and Jota in my opinion.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Bit premature, no?
When I say brilliant signing, I just mean that getting him in was a great piece of business for the price. Clearly, he has to still bed in and perform consistently, but he has made a decent start.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
The price wasn’t cheap though?
He's in the Salah/Mane bracket of transfer fees. When you compare it to some of the fees paid for other players in his position it's a decent price. He comes out to around 37 million GBP based on Transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/luis-diaz/profil/spieler/480692

Is 40 million still considered an expensive fee? I'd call it somewhere in the middle based on the fees clubs pay nowadays. City have just spent 100 million on a player of a similar age, playing in a similar position.

Josh 76

Liverpool have the best scouts. Jota for 40m was another great signing while we keep overpaying for English mediocre players such as Sancho, Maguire and AWB.

I really hope our next manager stops this laughable strategy of building a British core. Not paying 100m for Rice would be a good start.
The reason why Liverpools transfers look like bargains is, that they have a system which they buy players to fit into. The players they sign, wouldn’t work for other teams. If Utd had signed Jota, Mane or Fabinino, they would probably struggle because Utd play as individuals and not as a team.

I guarantee Lingard and Sancho would be stars at Liverpool.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's in the Salah/Mane bracket of transfer fees. When you compare it to some of the fees paid for other players in his position it's a decent price. He comes out to around 37 million GBP based on Transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/luis-diaz/profil/spieler/480692

Is 40 million still considered an expensive fee? I'd call it somewhere in the middle based on the fees clubs pay nowadays. City have just spent 100 million on a player of a similar age, playing in a similar position.
Sky have it at £49m

TheReligion

Abusive
I think for the price it’s clear that the front three of Firmino, Salah and Mane is breaking up in the summer.

I wonder if more than one of them will go? Reports today suggest Mane wants to move on and to my knowledge Salah still hasn’t committed to a new deal.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Sky have it at £49m
That probably includes add-ons.
I think for the price it’s clear that the front three of Firmino, Salah and Mane is breaking up in the summer.

I wonder if more than one of them will go? Reports today suggest Mane wants to move on and to my knowledge Salah still hasn’t committed to a new deal.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Firmino go somewhere like Barcelona. His importance has diminished greatly.

Mane isn't much of a concern given his up and down form over the last 18 months but if we allow Salah to run his contract down without getting it sorted then the club will regret it massively. He should be getting paid what he wants but FSG probably see it as a slippery slope in terms of the wage structure they have at the club.

Diaz isn't on very much. 60k a week I think?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Looked good last night, they seem to keep picking up these gems. Good scouting set up, football director etc

TheReligion

Abusive

I wouldn't be surprised to see Firmino go somewhere like Barcelona. His importance has diminished greatly.

Mane isn't much of a concern given his up and down form over the last 18 months but if we allow Salah to run his contract down without getting it sorted then the club will regret it massively. He should be getting paid what he wants but FSG probably see it as a slippery slope in terms of the wage structure they have at the club.

Will certainly be interesting if 2/3 go in one window. You may well have to pay Salah what he wants as you suggest but I guess that opens up issues of others wanting similar increases in the future and new recruits using that as part of negotiations.

I wonder if Klopp will stay for a full rebuild when you consider the age of VVD and Henderson along with the predicament of the front three? I don’t think Klopp will be around much longer personally, perhaps another season or two max.

Think Diaz is on more than that. There was some confusion around gross and net at the time.

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s 12.5 in bonuses. Which he should hopefully hit, but they do include the PL/CL.
Yes I think they give most deals in total.

Anyway he’s not a bargain basement signing with those numbers and it does look like prepping for the departure of one or two in the summer

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Will certainly be interesting if 2/3 go in one window. You may well have to pay Salah what he wants as you suggest but I guess that opens up issues of others wanting similar increases in the future and new recruits using that as part of negotiations.

I wonder if Klopp will stay for a full rebuild when you consider the age of VVD and Henderson along with the predicament of the front three? I don’t think Klopp will be around much longer personally, perhaps another season or two max.

Think Diaz is on more than that. There was some confusion around gross and net at the time.
If other have the same performance and goals like Salah and want the same salary then Klopp and the board will be over the moon.

Cathy Ferguson

The reason why Liverpools transfers look like bargains is, that they have a system which they buy players to fit into. The players they sign, wouldn’t work for other teams. If Utd had signed Jota, Mane or Fabinino, they would probably struggle because Utd play as individuals and not as a team.

I guarantee Lingard and Sancho would be stars at Liverpool.
That is a fair point that we have no system, but I can guarantee that Lingard lacks the technical ability and that Sancho lacks the pace to be stars at Pool, and even for us.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Yes I think they give most deals in total.

Anyway he’s not a bargain basement signing with those numbers and it does look like prepping for the departure of one or two in the summer
Definitely not, but it looks a smart acquisition on the face of it. I think firmino stays till the end of his deal, but mane could be off if I had to guess. Absolutely no news on his situation and he has the same amount of time salah does left. I’d love to keep them all because we’d need them all to compete with city but it’s probably not feasible.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
That is a fair point that we have no system, but I can guarantee that Lingard lacks the technical ability and that Sancho lacks the pace to be stars at Pool, and even for us.
A fair point, but I think we could have got a tune out of Sancho, we do tweak the system slightly to accommodate players, but the general approach and principles is always the same.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There was a lot of internal infighting between Rodgers and Edwards.
We know that now, but at the time I remember the media and fans were not happy with your recruitment department and scouts.

But what we can learn from that is that when you give control to the manager (Rodgers) when it comes to recruitment, and he has his own people working on the recruitment side, then you can't blame the recruitment department and the club scouts.

FSG brought Klopp in as manager and luckily for you guys, he knew his role as the head coach and gave control to Edwards to cater for his footballing blueprint.

We setup a transfer committee in 2018 with Bout, Court and Lawlor representing the recruitment side but still carried on with the manager model.

We need to appoint someone who understands his role as the head coach like Klopp does with your club.

gajender

Surely you don't believe that do you , so narrative is Liverpool best players aren't earning as highly as United's highest earners and their squad players are basically paid peanuts in comparison to United squad players and yet according to their Last published Accounts Liverpool are paying more than United in term of wages I wonder how is that even possible.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Surely you don't believe that do you , so narrative is Liverpool best players aren't earning as highly as United's highest earners and their squad players are basically paid peanuts in comparison to United squad players and yet according to their Last published Accounts Liverpool are paying more than United in term of wages I wonder how is that even possible.
United have always paid more in wages than any other team including Chelsea and City. Everyone knows that.

gajender

United have always paid more in wages than any other team including Chelsea and City. Everyone knows that.
Yes we have no denying that but this notion Liverpool are paying significantly lower wages to their players needs to be corrected when Liverpool own published record state otherwise, infact Liverpool paid almost 30 m more in wages than United according to their last released statements for 2020 even if you factor in the Bonuses for Title win you are there or there about alongside other big Clubs in England in terms of wages paid where you don't compete mostly is Transfer fee outlays where your strategy seem to be dependent on Selling for real big money transfers.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I’m fairly certain we’re paying far less to our players than United, City and Chelsea are. I think Van Dijk is our highest earner on 220k per week if I remember correctly. Salah is currently on 200k.

Based on what I could find online, United have six players earning more per week than our highest paid player (Van Dijk).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I’m fairly certain we’re paying far less to our players than United, City and Chelsea are. I think Van Dijk is our highest earner on 220k per week if I remember correctly. Salah is currently on 200k.

Based on what I could find online, United have six players earning more per week than our highest paid player (Van Dijk).
A lot of our salary is bonuses. When we win stuff we pay more to our players overall than United.

marfans

Supports
Chelsea FC

Are you saying your accountants are cooking the book?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
A lot of our salary is bonuses. When we win stuff we pay more to our players overall than United.
Ah that explains why Klopp never makes much effort with the domestic cups. Money saving technique. ;)

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Yes we have no denying that but this notion Liverpool are paying significantly lower wages to their players needs to be corrected when Liverpool own published record state otherwise, infact Liverpool paid almost 30 m more in wages than United according to their last released statements for 2020 even if you factor in the Bonuses for Title win you are there or there about alongside other big Clubs in England in terms of wages paid where you don't compete mostly is Transfer fee outlays where your strategy seem to be dependent on Selling for real big money transfers.
United have a higher wage bill yes or no? United have the highest in the PL yes or no?
Liverpool are behind united, Chelsea, and City in wages paid per Year. We get great scouting that turns barely known players into very good or great players at a paid wage that isn’t staggering. We sell players at a premium because they play to their maximum output under Klopp which in turn makes them more valuable. Great system for now as long as FSG don’t feck it up.

Nanook

Liverpool’s accounts for last season should be out soon and they’ll probably show you were paying more in staff salaries last season than both Chelsea and United.

With Varane, Ronaldo and Sancho we will very likely overtake you this year but it’ll be a lot closer than most Liverpool fans think. Over the past year or two Liverpool have extended a lot of players contracts.

If Liverpool finish 2nd this season your wage bill will be around £350-360m I think. If United finish 4th it would be around £380/£390m.

Last edited:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool’s accounts for last season should be out soon and they’ll probably show you were paying more in staff salaries last season than both Chelsea and United.

With Varane, Ronaldo and Sancho we will very likely overtake you this year but it’ll be a lot closer than most Liverpool fans think. Over the past year or two Liverpool have extended a lot of players contracts.

If Liverpool finish 2nd this season your wage bill will be around £350-360m I think. If United finish 4th it would be around £380/£390m.
It must be bonuses then because a quick search online shows that United are paying much higher salaries to their squad than Liverpool are. Ronaldo earns more than double per week than the highest earner at Liverpool.

I can understand a bit more why FSG have been so reluctant about Salah’s contract.