Luka Modric

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definite player of the tournament no matter what happens in the final now IMO. Amazing, amazing player. Not much else to say. The things hes achieved first at club level but also for his country, leading a country as small as Croatia to a world cup final... incredible.

Snafu17

Turns out, if you match him up with a midfield consisting of one CM and two AMs he can still play quite well. Who would have imagined.

IAmAWinner

I hope Croatia wins the final, so Modric would win the Ballon Dor. Who would have thought that after the Messi/Ronaldo domination Modric would be the first to win the Ballon Dor, I hope this happens. :D

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Modric is playing an unreal tournament. Easily the best player out there. He deserves to win it all. Sadly I think they'll fall short.

Dr. StrangeHate

Can all the perjury charges against him be dropped for championing Human Rights. It is a basic human right to not have to see the "It's coming home crowd" enjoy a world cup win and not have to hear Sir Soutgate, Sir Kane, Sir Dele Alli, etc.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sometimes players get lot of praise based on reputation. He was good but he wasn't even the best midfielder in Croatian side. Brozovic was better and overall Perisic was the best player on the pitch.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So happy for him. He's deserved that final so much. Player of the tournament for me. He's so pressing resistant, it is just unbelievable. Must be extremely frustrating to play against him because you have to attack him although you know there is no chance of winning the ball, even if you've got him cornered with two or three players. People are talking so much about Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe and general goal scorers but guys like Modric and Iniesta can be game changers without scoring.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Sometimes players get lot of praise based on reputation. He was good but he wasn't even the best midfielder in Croatian side. Brozovic was better and overall Perisic was the best player on the pitch.
Sometimes? It happens in 90% of games Modric plays in recently.

Stadjer

Deserves the title of being a world champion but wont get it since France is so much stronger. He would be a starter for the France team ofcourse... amazing player.

Aboutreika18

Funnily enough, I don't think he's even been at his best in this tournament but he's so good that he still dominates teams, even playing higher up the pitch than he usually does.

Very similar circumstances to Xavi in 2010, who played as a slightly withdrawn #10 and wasn't as brilliant as he was at Euro 2008 but he was still so good that he made people's teams of the tournament.

3KDré

Wasn’t even that good today. Understandable given his age and how hard he’s had to work though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Definitely.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Agreed. While he still was very good throughout the tournament, I've seen him play even better with us many times. Where he's a lot more involved.
The thing that amazes me, though, is to look at the way he compensates for his weaker teammates throughout this tournament. Which is something he doesn't have to do for you guys, obviously. He's not only a step ahead of his opponents, he actually anticipates his teammates weaknesses. The way he accounts for bad passes or positions himself, when he sees a teammate potentially lose the ball, that's what amazes me. He is completely in the service of his team. He elevates everyone around him. Haven't seen a player do that for quite a while.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The thing that amazes me, though, is to look at the way he compensates for his weaker teammates throughout this tournament. Which is something he doesn't have to do for you guys, obviously. He's not only a step ahead of his opponents, he actually anticipates his teammates weaknesses. The way he accounts for bad passes or positions himself, when he sees a teammate potentially lose the ball, that's what amazes me. He is completely in the service of his team. He elevates everyone around him. Haven't seen a player do that for quite a while.
Aye was thinking the same thing.

He also has a fantastic engine and his defensive game is also underrated. The complete midfielder.

AshRK

Very ordinary game, dont know what are fans jizzing over him for today. Just because he is luka modric doesnt mean he is always good.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Fully agree with everything, but especially this part. His best quality.

izec

Ballon D'or winner. They can win it, they make goals out of nowhere. If France are not tat their best, they can win it. I expect a close game and even if they lose Modric to win it. Deservedly so.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Very ordinary game, dont know what are fans jizzing over him for today. Just because he is luka modric doesnt mean he is always good.
Most impressive thing about him in the past 3 games has been his endurance and the defensive work but in terms of controlling games he’s definitely been better. His 2016/17 was a lot better than what he’s been doing now, it says a lot that even this worse version of Modric is still clearly the best midfielder in the world though.

Won it for them. Took the pressure off his team continually and the reason we were absolutely knackered in extra time is that we were chasing his passes around the field for the first 90. Henderson and co just aren't at that level unfortunately.

Robbie Boy

I suspect the ones in here saying he didn’t play well are bitter England fans. Tut, tut you guys have spent weeks on here calling anyone that said anything negative about England, bitter.

Anyhow, I thought he was great again. He’s such a fantastic player who plays with a crazy calmness and elevates others around him.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Fully agree with everything, but especially this part. His best quality.
And that's what gives the team such confidence. They know he's there and he'll find a way for them. Takes a lot of pressure off of them. It must be amazing to have him in your team.

justboy68

Top class player who deserves to play in a World cup final. Even if they get spanked in the final he'll be a hero in Croatia I'm sure for being the talisman in this team.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I still remember around the summer that Real signed him and the previous one - folk on here saying that he was average, that they were glad we didnt sign him. :lol:

cyberman

He completely killed England's left side by drifting out and playing in the space left by the wingbacks.
He's so tactically aware

Eddy_JukeZ

Was excellent in the 2nd half(after Croatia equalized), but poor in the 1st and clearly tired in the ET.

Will probably get the Golden Ball at the WC.