Luka Modric

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ronaldo won the UCL, no chance Modric is winning it. And it wouldn't even be the biggest travesty if Modric doesn't end up winning really, Ribery in 2013 and Sneijder in 2010 are the worst snubs for the Ballon' dOR during the Messi/Ronaldo era.
Modric also won the CL, and has been the best midfielder in the world for years and after ronaldo was as important as anyone for Madrid.

A player being a key player in winning both the CL and the World Cup, it'd be impossible not to give it to him. Leading a country like croatia to the final surely puts him into the top 3 already, no matter what happens on sunday.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Modric also won the CL, and has been the best midfielder in the world for years and after ronaldo was as important as anyone for Madrid.

A player being a key player in winning both the CL and the World Cup, it'd be impossible not to give it to him. Leading a country like croatia to the final surely puts him into the top 3 already, no matter what happens on sunday.
Ribery was Bayern's best player when they won the UCL as well, Sneijder won both the UCL and WC in 2010 but still didn't get it ahead of Messi. Ronaldo scored 44 goals this season, including single handedly taking them past Juventus, those will be remembered come the balloting time.

Ofcoures it also depends on how both perform for the first half of next season though. If Ronaldo continues to score for Juve, which I think he win, then I see little doubt in him winning.

Not saying he should. If Modric wins the WC it should definitely go to him, but just saying I don't think it will happen (both Modric winning the WC and him getting the Ballon D'or if he does).

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm very glad he's having this kind of World Cup. He deserves recognition because he is the main reason 3 CLs have been won in a row

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I suspect the ones in here saying he didn’t play well are bitter England fans. Tut, tut you guys have spent weeks on here calling anyone that said anything negative about England, bitter.

Anyhow, I thought he was great again. He’s such a fantastic player who plays with a crazy calmness and elevates others around him.
Last week I was called bitter Anti-England for saying England had easy group and were favorites to qualify, now I'm bitter England fan for saying Brozovic was better midfielder today.

Renegade

He should absolutely win BalonDor if Croatia win the cup. Maybe even for just getting to the final. Integral to both his club & country reaching the CL/WC Playing in CM at 32 and covering every blade of grass like a 21 year old. We’re told how amazing it is Ronaldo is performing at 33, but is he covering as much ground as Luka? We’re constantly told by Messi & Ronaldo loyalists how important a good WC tournament is and this guy has dragged Croatia to a final. He has to win it! It shouldn’t always be a forward winning the trophy. People mentioning Iniesta 2010 and he came 2nd to Messi. Correct me if I’m wrong but was that the year Messi scored 90 calendar goals? Peak Messi was on a doffeent planet, but there’s no peak Messi or Ronaldo about this year.

Last edited:

Treble

He should absolutely win BalonDor if Croatia win the cup. Maybe even for just getting to the final. Integral to both his club & country reaching the CL/UCL. Playing one CM at 32 and covering every blade of grass like a 21 year old. We’re told how amazing it is Ronaldo performing at 33, but is he covering as much ground as Luka? We’re constantly told by Messi & Ronaldo loyalists how important a good WC tournament is and this guy has dragged Croatia to a final. He has to win it! It shouldn’t always be a forward winning the trophy. People mentioning Iniesta 2010 and he came 2nd to Messi. Correct me if I’m wrong but was that the year Messi scored 90 calendar goals? Peak Messi was on a doffeent planet, but there’s no peak Messi or Ronaldo about this year.
No doubt about that. Cal? will be bricking it that Mbappe or Modric could stop Ronaldo from winning it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He should absolutely win BalonDor if Croatia win the cup. Maybe even for just getting to the final. Integral to both his club & country reaching the CL/WC Playing in CM at 32 and covering every blade of grass like a 21 year old. We’re told how amazing it is Ronaldo is performing at 33, but is he covering as much ground as Luka? We’re constantly told by Messi & Ronaldo loyalists how important a good WC tournament is and this guy has dragged Croatia to a final. He has to win it! It shouldn’t always be a forward winning the trophy. People mentioning Iniesta 2010 and he came 2nd to Messi. Correct me if I’m wrong but was that the year Messi scored 90 calendar goals? Peak Messi was on a doffeent planet, but there’s no peak Messi or Ronaldo about this year.
The voting system was different in 2010. It was part journalists and part national teams captains. Now it is purely journalists which will give the WC a bigger importance (like in 1998 2002,2006)

evil_geko

Jesus Christ, one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen.

Why not instead of dismissing everyone else’s argument, you try and fecking debate? No doubt you watched every one of Dzajic’s games right? You’re a hypocrite.

Nah you’re right though. The caf has spoken and therefore you don’t need to put forth any kind of sound argument. Fecking idiot.
And this train wreck of a post just confirms why I don't debate here, because of muppets like this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If croatia wins the WC he'll win the balon d'or, guaranteed. The FIFA one is more interesting but then again it's a joke of an award

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The voting system was different in 2010. It was part journalists and part national teams captains. Now it is purely journalists which will give the WC a bigger importance (like in 1998 2002,2006)
Hmmm wasn't aware of that. Maybe if it's journalists then Modric would have a chance, then again I don't think Croatia will beat France.

Any French player has a chance of winning the award?

kouroux

Hmmm wasn't aware of that. Maybe if it's journalists then Modric would have a chance, then again I don't think Croatia will beat France.

Griezmann has the biggest chance I think if France wins the World Cup because he also has the Europa League with a MOTM performance in the final but honestly I have no idea. As long as it's not Messi nor Ronaldo, I'll be fine with it. IMHO if Croatia wins it, it will be awarded to Modric without a doubt

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Anyone of Griezmann or Mbappé scores a brace to win the final, they win the BDO. Even Pogba or Kante would have a chance

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Also worth saying his big game mentality is something else.

Reckon he'll turn up big time in the final

izec

Nobody was better than him in the CL and WC. If he doesnt win it, it is a scandal. He deserved it for all the years at delivering at Real and usually turning up in the big tournaments too.

Ronaldo and Messi dont deserve it this year

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Also worth saying his big game mentality is something else.

Reckon he'll turn up big time in the final
So true.

Whenever I see Real in a big domestic or European game he always seems to be the one player who stands out over the 90 minutes.

Perisic was Croatia's best player last night but there was still something about the way Modric dealt with the game and situation that seemed so impressive. Seemed like time stood still whenever he had the ball whilst the other 19 outfield players were running around panicking.

DRM

He was Ok yesterday but I thought perisic, mandzukic and rebic played better than him!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So true.

Whenever I see Real in a big domestic or European game he always seems to be the one player who stands out over the 90 minutes.

Perisic was Croatia's best player last night but there was still something about the way Modric dealt with the game and situation that seemed so impressive. Seemed like time stood still whenever he had the ball whilst the other 19 outfield players were running around panicking.
I kept willing our players to get the ball, then I'd see Modric was near it and would resign myself to knowing we weren't getting it back until it was on the other side of the pitch far away from him.

izec

He was Ok yesterday but I thought perisic, mandzukic and rebic played better than him!
As soon as Croatia equalised, he controlled the midfield. England had no sniff at all. Before that, he was average. Then he turned up and the game changed completely. England were on the backfoot and Modric cruised and passed around and nobody could get close to him. He was a massive factor of keeping Croatia on top and not allowing England to het in the game. Other players were responsible for offensive and defensive highlights, but Modric was the focal point in that and the key man in keeping the momentum in Croatia‘s favour. It was beautiful to watch. Brozovic and Rakitic played well too

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Bound to make a difference. They're less reactionary than the players who're more likely to give credit to the flavour of the month at the time of voting - i.e. the best player in the world in the autumn. Would be good to see him win it irrespective of Sunday's result.

bosnian_red

Ribery was Bayern's best player when they won the UCL as well, Sneijder won both the UCL and WC in 2010 but still didn't get it ahead of Messi. Ronaldo scored 44 goals this season, including single handedly taking them past Juventus, those will be remembered come the balloting time.

Ofcoures it also depends on how both perform for the first half of next season though. If Ronaldo continues to score for Juve, which I think he win, then I see little doubt in him winning.

Not saying he should. If Modric wins the WC it should definitely go to him, but just saying I don't think it will happen (both Modric winning the WC and him getting the Ballon D'or if he does).
Sneijder didnt win the WC and also disappeared after the world cup basically. He wasnt the best player in the world cup that year like what Modric will almost certainly get now. Its comparable, but Sneijder in 2010 lost the WC final, and then Inter collapsed after Mourinho left. Unlikely Modric and Madrid will collapse next season to that extent, and Modric is a level higher then anything Sneijder was. Also another massive point is that both Ronaldo and Messi arent what they were 8 years ago. Modric is competing against 2 more normal players while they were at the start of their peaks basically.

Anyway, all a moot point because i dont think they'll win the world cup. But if they do, then it simply has to be Modric.

bosnian_red

Anyone of Griezmann or Mbappé scores a brace to win the final, they win the BDO. Even Pogba or Kante would have a chance
Nah nobody from France is going to win the Ballon D'Or. It isnt that reactionary. None of them were that good or that successful at club level to make it theirs. Only way someone gets the best player of the world cup ahead of Modric is something like a few goals in the final and a MotM from Mbappe or Griezmann, but that wont be enough for Ballon D'or. No chance. Only player who has done enough at club level and has a realistic chance as things stand is Modric if it isnt Ronaldo.

As soon as Croatia equalised, he controlled the midfield. England had no sniff at all. Before that, he was average. Then he turned up and the game changed completely. England were on the backfoot and Modric cruised and passed around and nobody could get close to him. He was a massive factor of keeping Croatia on top and not allowing England to het in the game. Other players were responsible for offensive and defensive highlights, but Modric was the focal point in that and the key man in keeping the momentum in Croatia‘s favour. It was beautiful to watch. Brozovic and Rakitic played well too
Cost us the game, basically. We were exhausted 70-80 minutes in because he'd had us chasing shadows. For a period in the second half all he did was hit long cross field passes forcing us to keep shifting position back and forth.

kouroux

Bound to make a difference. They're less reactionary than the players who're more likely to give credit to the flavour of the month at the time of voting - i.e. the best player in the world in the autumn. Would be good to see him win it irrespective of Sunday's result.
Hopefully yeah.

Schneckerl

Griezmann has the biggest chance I think if France wins the World Cup because he also has the Europa League with a MOTM performance in the final but honestly I have no idea. As long as it's not Messi nor Ronaldo, I'll be fine with it. IMHO if Croatia wins it, it will be awarded to Modric without a doubt
Seems to be like the media is pushing this as Modric vs Mbappe and Griezmann is firmly behind....

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/golden-ball-best-player-award
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/ballon-dor/player-of-the-year

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Sneijder didnt win the WC and also disappeared after the world cup basically. He wasnt the best player in the world cup that year like what Modric will almost certainly get now. Its comparable, but Sneijder in 2010 lost the WC final, and then Inter collapsed after Mourinho left. Unlikely Modric and Madrid will collapse next season to that extent, and Modric is a level higher then anything Sneijder was. Also another massive point is that both Ronaldo and Messi arent what they were 8 years ago. Modric is competing against 2 more normal players while they were at the start of their peaks basically.

Anyway, all a moot point because i dont think they'll win the world cup. But if they do, then it simply has to be Modric.
Haha yea sorry I got carried away with Sneijder.

Still, I would say Sneijder played a bigger role in Inter winning the UCL against the odds than Modric did in Madrid winning, and he had a better World CUp than Modric has. Though it is true that it depends on how they perform in the second half of the season as well (I do think Madrid will struggle without Ronaldo and a new manager).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sneijder would have won the balon d'or in 2010 under the current voting system. So would have ribery in 2013. Just saying...

The journos have always been reactionary and the WC has always weighted above everything else when it comes to the votes.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Sneijder would have won the balon d'or in 2010 under the current voting system. So would have ribery in 2013. Just saying...

The journos have always been reactionary and the WC has always weighted above everything else when it comes to the votes.
National captains from FIFA teams also vote.

Revan

Assumptionman
A mate of mine, before the Russia game got 50/1 on Modric winning the Ballon D'Or.

My first thought was "LOL" - but he insists he'll be a shoe-in if Croatia win the WC.

Do you think he'd be awarded it, having won the UCL & the WC?
If Croatia win the title, it is pretty much guaranteed. The only reason why Sneijder and Ribery didn't win it in 2010 and 2013 was because Ballon D'Or was mixed with Fifa award. Both won the votes for Ballon D'Or but were nowhere near the top in Fifa votes.

Now, Ballon D'Or is just Ballon D'Or again and sanity is back.

Revan

Assumptionman

Sneijder was every bit as good, if not better than Modric this season. He was fantastic in both UCL and World Cup.

bosnian_red

Sneijder was every bit as good, if not better than Modric this season. He was fantastic in both UCL and World Cup.
He was fantastic but also then proceeded to fall off a cliff after the world cup final. For all the good he did in the first half of 2010, he then did nothing in the 2nd half. Obviously first half plays a much bigger role, but it still matters. Though I guess it's also kind of comparing Sneijder in his absolute peak season, to a normal Modric season (with the added bonus of now being the player of the world cup probably). Its probably the closest comparison in terms of others who could've won the ballon d'or. The difference for me is that these days, the gap between ronaldo, messi and the rest is nowhere near as big as it was a few years ago, let alone in 2010. So theres a bigger chance for everyone else to win it. In 2010 its likely that Sneijder would've won it had he won the World Cup IMO. But he didnt, and then there wasn't an outright star for spain (more split between Xavi, Iniesta and Villa) so I'd imagine the votes got split. Its more clear cut for Modric now I'd say.

Revan

Assumptionman
He was fantastic but also then proceeded to fall off a cliff after the world cup final. For all the good he did in the first half of 2010, he then did nothing in the 2nd half. Obviously first half plays a much bigger role, but it still matters. Though I guess it's also kind of comparing Sneijder in his absolute peak season, to a normal Modric season (with the added bonus of now being the player of the world cup probably). Its probably the closest comparison in terms of others who could've won the ballon d'or. The difference for me is that these days, the gap between ronaldo, messi and the rest is nowhere near as big as it was a few years ago, let alone in 2010. So theres a bigger chance for everyone else to win it. In 2010 its likely that Sneijder would've won it had he won the World Cup IMO. But he didnt, and then there wasn't an outright star for spain (more split between Xavi, Iniesta and Villa) so I'd imagine the votes got split. Its more clear cut for Modric now I'd say.
Did nothing is harsh considering that he set Robben in an one on one in the best chance of the entire match, with Pyoul essentially rugby talking Robben to deny him the goal.

Anyway, Sneijder won the ball d'Or vote but didn't receive many votes from Fifa popularity contest which denied him the award. That won't happen this year, with only journos voting, so if Modric wins the World Cup, he'll get the award. If he loses the final, I think that he might get just the third place (or if lucky, the second ahead of Messi who had a bad world cup) but probably won't finish ahead of Ronaldo.

Would love for him to win it, and for Ronaldo-Messi to be forever tied. I have a feeling that the output of both of them will suffer heavily next season.