Lukaku and Sanchez - cut our losses? Poll now added

Should we cut our losses on Sanchez and Lukaku in the summer?

• Total voters

Devil may care

I'd broom both but if it can only be one this summer and one next I'd sell Lukaku first, at least Sanchez can press and move, he has at least some attributes to operate in the system Ole is trying to implement.

arthurka

Both need to go.. I would take Josh King over Lukaku. Sánchez is shot, China waits for him.

Cardozo

I think both of them look absolutely lost at the moment.

Part of me believes they’ll come good in the system Ole is playing. Lukaku showed it at Arsenal and Sanchez on the wing has no excuse. If neither has shown any promise by the end of the season I’d be looking to offload Sanchez and maybe Lukaku if he’s not willing to accept his place in the pecking order.

JohnnyKills

When we signed Lukaku I thought he might be a starter for 1-2 years and then be phased out when Rashford was ready. I'm not often right about football but it seems to be playing out that way.

The third goal today showed Lukaku at his best - bullying defenders down the channels with his pace and power. But he won't really get that opportunity at a team like United. Given the demands United face, the ability to create chances in tight spaces is more important and he doesn't really offer that.

Being brutal i think we should look to sell him in the summer. He's a good player and we can still recoup most of what we paid. The alternative is using him as a high-class replacement for Fellaini, an impact sub who we can lump it forward to late on, but i don't think that's his game.

Sánchez did fine today but he still looks massively out of place. If we can get someone to take him on a free we should take that.

TheRedHearted

Do you guys really think Lukaku will want to leave this club now, especially when we’re improving so much and look like we might challenge on all fronts next season?

Same with Sanchez.
Seems like their confidence is both very very low. Lukaku was our main man for two and a half seasons, and now Rashford is. He came here under Mou and probably the promise to be the main man. But still he has contributed significantly on the RW. I think he’s not over being first fiddle.
As for Sanchez, he went from being top man of the league to struggling big time. We do need cover for LW, which Sanchez could be. And Lukaku is currently a cover for RW and striker. But to claim we couldn’t use one more player that could do either of those jobs is false. I feel like a quick RW that can be in this system is imperative. Juan can find a team where he can play centrally and thrive.

I think he would want to leave if he was told he is not going to be first choice in any position across the front, yes.

He seems a super confident person, probably thinks he’s too good to be benched. Whether he’s got it in him to want to stay and fight for that position I’m not sure. All depends who’s giving him advice I suppose.
Yep. If Morata doesn’t workout could Atletico be an option for him?

When we signed Lukaku I thought he might be a starter for 1-2 years and then be phased out when Rashford was ready. I'm not often right about football but it seems to be playing out that way.

The third goal today showed Lukaku at his best - bullying defenders down the channels with his pace and power. But he won't really get that opportunity at a team like United. Given the demands United face, the ability to create chances in tight spaces is more important and he doesn't really offer that.

Being brutal i think we should look to sell him in the summer. He's a good player and we can still recoup most of what we paid. The alternative is using him as a high-class replacement for Fellaini, an impact sub who we can lump it forward to late on, but i don't think that's his game.

Sánchez did fine today but he still looks massively out of place. If we can get someone to take him on a free we should take that.
Juve licking their lips.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The thing is, Sanchez was showing similarly poor form in his last season for Arsenal. That's 2 years he's been out of form which is a bad sign for a 30-year-old. It looks very much like he has simply declined.

God knows what happened to Lukaku but his new strength gaining programme has clearly done him no favours. He's pretty much a statue out there.

I'd have no qualms with them both being moved on in the summer.
Yeah I fully agree with that. It could very well be that Sanchez is our Torres and he's done but will every so often remind us of what he was. He's played so much football over the past decade that he could have Rooney style burnout.

As with you, I don't mind both of them being moved on but if there's even a chance that we can get some of Sanchez back then I don't really know what to think. Lukaku for sure can feck off.

soapythecat

I would have liked to have seen Sanchez played up front instead of Lukaku. See if he can do a job there for us. His first touch and control is way better than RL, and he is more mobile. He may not hold the ball up as well, but is that how we are trying to play.

I'd rather ditch RL from the squad before Sanchez. Plus, no-one will take Sanchez unless we pay big - which we won't!

izec

I would offload Lukaku for 40m or 50m if we get that and buy a replacement, i like Maxi Gomez and he would cost as much. Alexis i would keep for another year and then ditch him too. But since we need other positions to strengthen first, i would keep one of them and Lukaku will give us more money and doesnt suit us as a striker at all, while Alexis has some experience and technique/mobility.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
No chance either is willing to be a bench player next season. Ole can probably motivate them until the end of this one though.

May have to look at some stackers in the summer.
This. Lukaku will not settle for being a sloppy second. If he is not being played, he will go.

Would love to try sanchez on the RW. A front three of Martial, Rashford and Sanchez. But yea, Sanchez will go also if he is not getting starts.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lukaku once again hid between CBs tonight against the worst defence we’ve faced so far.

Sanchez’s problem was summed up when he got himself 1 on 1 with a fullback and instead of running he always chooses to stand there, wiggle his foot at him, allow the fullback to reset himself and then tries a mind bogglingly playground dribble against him and gets dispossesd. Every time. Pogba was stood right there as he did that and just shook his head at him. It kills every attack. That’s his problem. He still thinks he has the athletiscm to pull that off. He doesnt. He needs to adapt to his frail body like mata.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He peaked when he was 29, late bloomer. Ideal age to be a rotation player in my eyes.
I'd take him for sure. But he might not be suited to a squad role. Leicester would likely ask for quite a lot of money too. Someone here mentioned Richarlison, he'd be pretty ideal in that he can play in most of the forward positions. Benefit with Vardy would be not clogging up the space if Greenwood is ready in a year or so.

Seems most people would be happy to see them sold, either because they're not good enough, are on too high wages or don't fit the dynamic style of play. For me it's all of the above, though Sanchez could probably be useful if he was a squad player on squad player wages.

I suggest again a poll on the matter..

Utd7

Lukaku can and should be moved. The problem is moving Sanchez’s wages. Only team that can realistically absorb it is PSG and that’s only if Neymar/Cavani leaves this summer for FFP

Vanya

Both of them (and Mata) need to go.

The forwards at this club who receive obscene salaries like 200k or 300k a week should be setting the world alight. Their performance levels just dont match whats expected of them.

Lukakus playing style doesnt suit Solskjaer and Phelans system and Sanchez is unfortunately past his prime.

If United are back to their old self, then they should be ruthless in the transfer market as they used to be. Mata, Sanchez and Lukaku all need to be shipped out as soon as possible.

Pscholes18

Lukaku needs to go....we were taken to the cleaners with what we payed for him...i'd like to see a replacement who is consistent in play.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I'm done with Sanchez.

That bit where Lukaku finally got himself in a decent position in the box, the Sanchez cross was awful.

Also, contrast the passing and interplay between Pogba and Martial, with that with Sanchez. Pogba passing to Sanchez and waiting, in vain, for the pass back. He's not in tune with his teammates.

rotherham_red

If we can, we should. They'll both provide glimpses of real quality and class here and there, but it's just not enough on the outlay we have committed on them.

Probably not going to happen for at least another season in Lukaku's case, and maybe even longer in Sanchez' case.

izec

I'm done with Sanchez.

That bit where Lukaku finally got himself in a decent position in the box, the Sanchez cross was awful.

Also, contrast the passing and interplay between Pogba and Martial, with that with Sanchez. Pogba passing to Sanchez and waiting, in vain, for the pass back. He's not in tune with his teammates.
Both are out of sync if we are honest. Mata too compared to Lingard. They are on the bench for a reason

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think Lukaku is certain to go in the summer, he looks like a (very) round peg in a square hole at the moment. Sanchez looked better today (should have scored), but looked a lot sharper than I've seen him all season. I will wait until he shows that regularly, and against better opposition before I make up my mind.

JMack1234

Both need to go if we're keeping Ole.

I think we'll find a buyer for Lukaku without too much trouble. Have a feeling he might end up at Chelsea next season. Sanchez is a much more awkward problem because of his age and the money he's on. I think he'll end up staying and filling in for Rashford or Martial when we rotate or if one of them gets injured.

Castia

Sanchez looks absolutely busted.

Given his huge wages we would struggle to offload him for free. He’s ‘Rooney at the end’ levels of performance and has been for 12 months now.

I actually think they’ll be decent interest in Lukaku, we’ll make most of our money back easily.

Silas

If it were possible, I'd ship out both. I'm confident we could get rid of Lukaku as I'd assume he himself would push for a move if he doesn't feel like he'll be first choice. No clue what to do with Sanchez tbh. No team that can afford him will want him (anyone suggesting that PSG would kindly take him off our hands is having a laugh) and we can't exactly keep him around as a squad player with those wages either.

midou

That's the thing, we can't use him that way because he is bad at it.

George The Best

I think Ole may yet get something out of Sanchez. The type of football Ole has us playing now is more suited to Sanchez than the Mou methods. Hope so, as we’ll have real trouble moving him on if not. Lukaku needs to go.

Canuckred64

I thought when Sanchez came on today he looked lively and while he should have scored, it was the best he has looked in awhile. Granted it was against a Fulham team that was already beaten, but I woukd like to see if Ole can turn him around before we cut him loose.

Lukaku doesn't look to fit the style we are playing, not sure what we could get for him, but if it's anywhere near what we paid, I would sell him in a heartbeat.

C'est Moi Cantona

Clubs will be falling over themselves to sign Lukaku, and as things stand we should be looking to sell, maybe Chelsea would fancy been giving the chance at paying over the odds to their man this time..

Not too sure about Sanchez though, I just think we'll need to make it work somehow given the contract we gave him, perhaps a change of position is worth a go.

hobbers

The alternative is using him as a high-class replacement for Fellaini, an impact sub who we can lump it forward to late on, but i don't think that's his game.
That's genuinely one of the worst parts of his game though. He can't jump, he doesn't win 50/50s, he doesn't win headers unless he's totally unchallenged. He has no idea where to be on the pitch at any moment, and he lacks awareness of where his team mates are even if he does miraculously get his head to the ball.

It wouldnt be a high-class Fellaini replacement, it would be a mammoth downgrade on Fellaini.

The only role I can see for Lukaku here is as a back-up inverted right-winger. And that depends on him losing a good few stone.

Cockney Phil

Difficult to reconcile Lukaku’s transfer price to his actual ability. He can’t control a ball, he can’t against challenge determined defenders, he seems to be clueless spatially, and even his goal scoring has become mediocre. Defenders actually play off him, which has to be his major failing - something unique in watching United all these years. These failings were already exposed under the previous manager but under Ole, Lukaku plays like a fish out of water - literally flapping about. It so embarrassing I almost feels sorry for him - he has to go.

Sanchez - never wanted him, thought it was a stupid move, and he’s done nothing except claim the largest pay packet in the Prem. The only answer to this absurdity is to off load him in the summer if not tomorrow.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don’t think we will sell both of them in the same window. We’ll need to find replacement as well and it’s not easy to sign two players or more in short period of summer window.

But Lukaku is the easiest one to be shipped out due to his wages, stats & age. On top of that he’s a striker, there are clubs out there are looking for striker and willing to spend big on a striker.

Lukaku’s stats can still do tricks to other clubs and managers. Even some fans who back him up always mentioning about his goals stats being incredible and the number aren’t lie. Without a doubt I can still see lots of club are still interested to sign him and if there are clubs who are desperate to sign a striker, we should be taking it in our advantage to get a very good deal, otherwise we can always keep him as backup.

Club like PSG probably think he’s still a top striker due to his stats, and thinking to sign him to replace Cavani who’s getting old. Or if Icardi ends up leaving Inter, they will be all over Lukaku to replace him. May be Chelsea would like to bring him back. Or may be AC milan is insterested or any club that Conte is managing will interest in Lukaku since Conte seems to be so eager to signed when he was still managing Chelsea.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'd take him for sure. But he might not be suited to a squad role. Leicester would likely ask for quite a lot of money too. Someone here mentioned Richarlison, he'd be pretty ideal in that he can play in most of the forward positions. Benefit with Vardy would be not clogging up the space if Greenwood is ready in a year or so.

Seems most people would be happy to see them sold, either because they're not good enough, are on too high wages or don't fit the dynamic style of play. For me it's all of the above, though Sanchez could probably be useful if he was a squad player on squad player wages.

I suggest again a poll on the matter..
There you go.

Sereques

Even if both of them are okay not starting every week, it's not a good business model to have 600K/week sitting on the bench when it can be reduced to 300k/week with more quality.

Minimalist

At this stage I'd get rid of both. Neither are good enough to be starting and I have a feeling neither of them want to be sitting on the bench for too long.

I backed Lukaku last season against some abuse on here but here's seriously nose-dived in terms of his effectiveness.

sam147

Lukaku needs to leave. Sanchez as a rotation striker. Rashford 1st choice. Sanchez 2nd. Martial 3rd and Greenwood emergency. Ship of Lukaku and Mata and sign Sancho. Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Lingard, Sanchez for 3 positions. If we want a target man we should just sign someone on the cheap or loan as a substitute option.