Lukaku could face retrospective ban for hitting Bong(FA- He doesn't)

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
When "something" happens, I always picture the same thing happening to a team or player I dislike - that combined with the real situation often gives you a fair assessment. Previous offenses of course does not matter one single thing. This case is quite clear and I am amazed he has not gotten a ban for it, especially as everyone is afraid of getting the media/managers on their necks given it's Man Utd involved. Imagine this happening to someone we don't like, for example Firmino, Arnautovic or Alli.

He clearly kicks out twice, perhaps they are lenient because he doesn't actually connect - this is the one and only time we are happy Lukaku (once again) can't find the target. Those kicks are as badly placed as his chance in the first half when he blasts it wide from a good position.
Exactly what I'm thinking too.
Lucky to not get a ban.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is this not an average return for a West Brom/Everton striker?
Never mind Everton/WBA strikers. I'm willing to bet it's an average return for strikers at any of the best clubs in the league too. Whenever Lukaku is getting slagged off for his inability to score in big games nobody ever posts some stats from other PL striker who he should be aspiring to equal. I suspect this is because all strikers find it hard to score against the best teams in the league. Who'd have thunk it?

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
So a load of hype and nonsense over nothing, fair enough, moving along then, nothing to see here.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He slides in - without his studs showing and - wins the ball, clean as you like. The only bone of contention the Brighton player can have is that Lindelof's trailing leg could have been lower. Would have been a very harsh to call it a foul, though, never mind a booking. All of which explains why the referee - who had been otherwise fussy - let play continue.
This. Was a beautiful tackle.

And I'm someone who was genuinely furious at Rojo's two footed lunges last season (if anyone remembers 'em), truly awful behaviour.

Lindelof's was a great, great challenge.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Kicking out at someone, where the ball isn't, does not warrant a red card? FFS, this is football not UFC, learn the rules mate.
Most often, when someone gives someone a snide kick off the ball, they'll get a yellow... unless its properly malicious or something.

I see this more on the snide side then properly violent/malicious. Plus he didn't make any contact.

Janson

I'm surprised Bong didn't make anything of it, players complain about the smallest things these days. Thank god Lukaku didn't get a ban. Good man, this Bong fella.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Not sure you can honestly watch the clip and say he is not trying to kick out at Bong? Unless there was an invisible ball behind him that he is trying to back heel, what is he doing in your opinion?
Whereas I don't think he's such a bad shot that he'd miss Bong from that distance. So for once I'm with the FA and Gallagher - petulant, not violent.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
People are still trying to make something out of nothing I see, nothing much happened, I don't really see the need to go into so much detail over a nothing incident, but each to their own I suppose.

SteveTheRed

Whereas I don't think he's such a bad shot that he'd miss Bong from that distance. So for once I'm with the FA and Gallagher - petulant, not violent.
Fair enough, I suppose what is a petulant childish act or an act of violence become unclear on a sport field.

In my eyes, tripping someone up with petulant. Trying to kick someone with your heel is violence?

el3mel

Glad he got out of this safely. He should be more careful next time.

Ekeke

I have no idea how we managed to not get the goal chalked off, or Lukaku banned but I'll take it I guess. Hopefully thats the last we see of it from him though

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Fair enough, I suppose what is a petulant childish act or an act of violence become unclear on a sport field.

In my eyes, tripping someone up with petulant. Trying to kick someone with your heel is violence?
A violent action on the football pitch would be one that puts your opponent at risk of injury. Which was obviously never the case here.

SteveTheRed

A violent action on the football pitch would be one that puts your opponent at risk of injury. Which was obviously never the case here.
If that's the definition then I'd agree, it was very unlikely to case injury. It's a bit of a fine line though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If that's the definition then I'd agree, it was very unlikely to case injury. It's a bit of a fine line though.
I don’t think there is a definition tbf. I just think common sense prevailed. It’s not like anyone was ever at risk of being concussed, or even being injured badly enough to miss a game. So it seems silly to consider it “violent”

Of course, the flipside to this is the number of straight reds for “headbutts” that wouldn’t knock the skin off a rice pudding or players that “raise their hands” in the general direction of opposition players. So I’ll agree it all seems pretty random.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
And I'm someone who was genuinely furious at Rojo's two footed lunges last season (if anyone remembers 'em), truly awful behaviour.
Cannot, for the life of me, understand how a professional footballer doesn't know that a 2 footed lunge isn't a legal tackle...?!?!

edgar allan

I am glad that Lukaku is going to be available as now we have our best available players available.

Pogba's back, Ibra's back, Rojo's back, Fellaini is back.... no excuses now Jose for a repeat of Liverpool and Chelsea performances and formations.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Now if José plays Martial and Rashford up top against City it'll be a proper curveball.

The fact he did it last season (against Chelsea?) when Zlatan was available makes it even more juicy.

Nick7

This. Was a beautiful tackle.

Lindelof's was a great, great challenge.
I'm shocked people with working eyes can say any differently. Great tackle.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Two game retroactive ban for falling down and brutally hurting the ground. Nothing for trying to karate kick opponent twice. Sums up the EPL approach. :houllier:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lukaku escapes punishment?
He has had a proper let off there, lets just hope he makes the most of his reprieve and goes on a goal scoring spree..!!!

GiddyUp

Never mind Everton/WBA strikers. I'm willing to bet it's an average return for strikers at any of the best clubs in the league too. Whenever Lukaku is getting slagged off for his inability to score in big games nobody ever posts some stats from other PL striker who he should be aspiring to equal. I suspect this is because all strikers find it hard to score against the best teams in the league. Who'd have thunk it?
Yep, and the unintelligent shite pisse me off as well. Lukaku's link up play is pretty good when everyone around him is awake which hasn't happened in a few months.

Klopp_De_Klown

When you read Dermot Gallagher's comments then it's perfectly logical he did not get a ban. It's not a 3 game ban offence. Stupid yes but dangerous no.

I'm sure he'd argue he was looking for a penalty by kicking his legs back to get tripped up by the defender holding him and it's not a kick or something along them lines. Whatever it would be, he needs to be more clever about getting his retaliation in first. Got lucky he made no contact this time maybe next time he won't be so lucky!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Two game retroactive ban for falling down and brutally hurting the ground. Nothing for trying to karate kick opponent twice. Sums up the EPL approach. :houllier:
Karate kick? Such a drama queen post.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Because Romelu's parents hail from the Congo,
he prefers to kick the Brighton player called Um Bongo.