Lukaku defending set pieces is an absolute menace!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Honestly the goals against City were just bad fecking luck. He wanted to clear the ball and miss hit it. It looked clumsy and it happening twice certainly didn't help, but these things happen.

He's probably not world class at defending set pieces, but feck it, he's a striker.

AshRK

I won't be wrong in saying this but two most hated club members here are Jose and lukaku and then third is rash ford. All very weird reasons.

Water Melon

The thing with Lukaku is that he is costing us points, simples. If he cant defend well, let him stay at the edge of our box, so at least we have someone to try to hold onto the ball when we hoof it.

Player Red

Van Persie and Berbatov were excellent at defending corners so making this about Mourinho is bollocks because SAF did it too. Strikers especially one's that are 6'3 should be good at this especially in the near post area.

At Chelsea, Mourinho had Drogba do it effectively while leaving Robben and Duff at the half way line for the counter. It's not a defensive tactic because Lukaku should be capable of carrying out the task, the problem is he's cumbersome in everything that he does.

Not sure about Berba but RVP used to be placed at the near post, easy to clear corners that hit the first man. This is where Lukaku should be placed, big enough to attack the ball and clear corners that are hit short. It then allows him to break out easily compared to being left in the centre of the box.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yep because pointing out people look alike is certainly racism, Jesus wept the world :rolleyes:
I've been struck by the likeness too.

On topic I don't mind Lukaku coming back as he's a big unit but I'd maybe have him beyond the penalty spot rather than in the six yard/near post area.

Cloud7

I won't be wrong in saying this but two most hated club members here are Jose and lukaku and then third is rash ford. All very weird reasons.
The first two are linked I think. Can’t help but feel had we got someone better than Lukaku in the summer, the attack as a whole would be more coherent, and José would be coming under less fire. The more you think about it you realize Lukaku doesn’t fit the profile of a Mourinho striker at all. He’s just big, but he doesn’t hold the ball up well at all, as Jose usually needs in his lone striker system. So yeah I think they’re both linked.

Rashford is just people talking out of frustration.

desmondisback

As if we learned feck all from the derby... Just like we ask Rashford to take set pieces. We never fecking learn anything...

....and who is responsible for spotting these things? Jose. Everyone who has responded here has noticed that Lukaku is and has been a defensive liability. He needs to stay out of it. Therefore , if we can see it then Jose can. (or can he?) so why hasn't he done something about it? I thought he was supposed to be a defensive coach (or even genius).

If I see Lukaku anywhere near our box from set pieces from now on it will imply to me that we have an incompetent manager.

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
Why is lukaku even needed to defend set pieces is the real question.

Water Melon

Why is lukaku even needed to defend set pieces is the real question.
Because he is a big, strong lad who can fight for each ball on the ground or in the air. Anti-Mata basically, however, he is not getting it right at the moment. There are easy ways to solve it, but he is still in our 6-yard box being a danger to our own team lately. If it is on Mou or Rom or coaches, I do not know.

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
Because he is a big, strong lad who can fight for each ball on the ground or in the air. Anti-Mata basically, however, he is not getting it right at the moment. There are easy ways to solve it, but he is still in our 6-yard box being a danger to our own team lately. If it is on Mou or Rom or coaches, I do not know.
That doesn't automatically make him a good defender bro. By that logic if your GK is a good at heading the ball would you ask him to come on for the corners?

And what about the basic fact that he is a striker and you have spent 75miln for him to score goals, shouldn't he be on the other end of the field?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That doesn't automatically make him a good defender bro. By that logic if your GK is a good at heading the ball would you ask him to come on for the corners?

And what about the basic fact that he is a striker and you have spent 75miln for him to score goals, shouldn't he be on the other end of the field?
No, because you don't have anyone who can handle the ball with their hands on the other side. While Rashford or Martial are better and faster at running at the ball on the counter

Water Melon

I guess, I did not word it properly. I do not think Lukaku should be anywhere around our 6 yard box after recent demonstration of his skills there. I was just trying to explain possible Mou's thinking behind it. As posters said, RvP would also come often back to our box to defend set pieces and was great at it.

Bobski

Utd have not spent £75 million for him to only score goals. They are investing in the whole package, press from the front, hold the ball up, link with the rest of the team, run the channels. Part of his job is to do a defensive job for the team when they need him.

All it needs is concentration and the willingness and courage to attack the ball. He has the physical tools to be at worst competent.

cyril C

Honestly the goals against City were just bad fecking luck. He wanted to clear the ball and miss hit it. It looked clumsy and it happening twice certainly didn't help, but these things happen.

He's probably not world class at defending set pieces, but feck it, he's a striker.
Nothing wrong with that, as he is a striker. What is wrong is that why do we still trust him on set piece defending? Defending the far post is the most difficult and important job, so there is no-one good enough for the job other than him? Instead of training him to be a good defender, should he be working on his shooting skill etc. to be a better striker?

Big Andy

Bloke
People blaming Lukaku here for Burnleys goal should be looking at De Gea...he should be coming off his line and clearing everyone out to get it away...

City, Burnley and Leicester have all scored goals within the 6 yard box, he should be bossing his area...

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He was, I just passed it off as hes brilliant on getting on the end of and directing attacking headers, so it’s just natural he’s able to do it the other way (especially when a specific target isn’t so important).

I guess my logic doesn’t always hold though.
I’d say your logic is pretty mint, bang on. But as with just about everything, there’s always an exception to the rule. Something which defies logic. In this case, it’s our big Belgian CF :lol:

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Aye but just a week or so before City, he had almost an identical incident against Arsenal. Once or maybe twice might be bad luck, but it’s happened a bit to probably constitute a bit of a valid concern.

Nothing like a bit of casual racism ey
Surely nothing racist about pointing out that 2 people look alike?

Redmurph16

I don't see why we have him back there at all.
Leave him up field, that way when we inevitably hoof it clear he can go charging against whichever CB they keep back in their half and we might actually pick up the odd goal.
No, first priority has to be anyone who's done their groin (ahem - sorry Smalling) to be well away from our box!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't disagree that Mourinho is at fault here. I'm pretty fecking sure we'll Lukaku defending on set pieces still. Mourinho can be stubborn like that and in all logic this is fecking crazy, Lukaku should be an asset, not someone else to watch out for :lol:

Foxbatt

Not sure about Berba but RVP used to be placed at the near post, easy to clear corners that hit the first man. This is where Lukaku should be placed, big enough to attack the ball and clear corners that are hit short. It then allows him to break out easily compared to being left in the centre of the box.
SAF used to bring in Berba even to defend against set pieces. He is a very good header of the ball. Lukaku is a menace I agree. City was not the first time. DeGea bailed him out against Arsenal. Then the Burnley second goal was also Lukaku getting involved.

eat_grass

Blame it on fatigue. Lukaku's been slow to react on three of the four screw-ups, and got away with another one that apparently nobody else noticed, not even the ref (he kicked a corner off his own arm, haha!). The only one that screamed "I'm out of my depth here" was the almost-own goal against Arsenal. The others were just his body not responding when his brain said "GO!"

And the opposition has taken notice and is targeting him now, so things are going to be very interesting for awhile.

Greck

The man city gaffs still sting because of what that result meant to our title challenge. Hope Jose doesn't prove stubborn on this or he'll just be putting the lad under more pressure