Lukaku-Rashford partnership

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Back to 2 strikers, can they both work together long term?

They both seem to like playing with each other but what does that mean for Martial?

Last edited:

Greck

Going to be honest. I'm not seeing this partnership everyone keeps talking about. Nothing stands out about their chemistry

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Tricky because 4-3-3 with Rashy, Lingard and Martial still seems like the best system for me. Lukaku is first option for any of them but not sure he is first choice as yet.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Rashford has been absolute pony since getting that knock against Liverpool. Lukaku on the other hand has been amazing. I personally think Martial and Lukaku are our best strike partnership, they even equalled some record last season held by Cole and Yorke for assisted goals between each other.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Rashford will naturally have dips in form. Even in games he does brilliant and poor things. We need to show faith in him to grow his game as I really think he will. Can't agree with 'absolute pony' at all though!!

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Rashford will naturally have dips in form. Even in games he does brilliant and poor things. We need to show faith in him to grow his game as I really think he will. Can't agree with 'absolute pony' at all though!!
I thought Rashford was quite poor against PSG. Lukaku had a lot to do for the 1st goal and the second goal was a howler by buffon from a speculative shot. Against Liverpool he was injured and against Southampton he just didn't look right.

Rashford has been very good this season, but I think the injury made him lose a bit of momentum.

Ekeke

Back to 2 strikers, can they both work together long term?

They both seem to like playing with each other but what does that mean for Martial?
Go to Pogba-Ander in midfield and find a right sided player to join Lukaku, Rashford and Martial and we'll be hard to stop.

KennyBurner

Going to be honest. I'm not seeing this partnership everyone keeps talking about. Nothing stands out about their chemistry
I second this. I’m buzzing like everyone after yesterday but it’s like we’ve all forgotten we were gifted 3 goals yesterday. Not created but we capitalized off it. For some reason we should be seeing more threads praising our defensive performance which was the main highlight of the game. Rashford wasn’t that amazing yesterday but did well to step up for the penalty and lukaku did so well to capitalize of the defensive mistakes from psg.

Canagel

Rashford hasn't been the same since he got back from injury.
The best chemistry in the attack is still Lingard, Rashford and Martial however. but it could be in certain situation if we need to bypass press or hit the ball long the 2 striker with Lukaku (if his hold up play improved with it) and Martial/Rashford could work.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Agree. Rashford is a suitable partner for most strikers with his pace and perpetual movement and Lukaku scores goals when in form. That's about it, nothing stands out about their chemistry together, just 2 good footballers playing alongside each other.

Ekeke

I think the goals, and Rashford being a hard worker makes him a good partner for Lukaku. Thats what stands out and why he's a good foil for Lukaku

deadrevelz

Rashford was mostly poor last night but scored the penalty and basically provided an assist with lukakus poached goal.
To step up for the penalty required balls the size of small planets.

Lukaku was very good, one of his best performances. Maybe I wrote him off too soon.

Brightonian

Not getting all this 'Rashford was poor against PSG' talk. Yes, he made a weak effort for one key chance but he also produced more attacking play that any other United player. He had Kehrer on toast, effortlessly, every time we were able to actually get the ball to him.

That said, I don't know if I see them as a partnership. Lukaku just keeps scoring so it's hard to leave him out but I still find the 'front four' of Pogba, Martial, Lingard and Rashford more dangerous and better to watch.

The thing about Rashford up front vs Rashford on the wing is this: imagine every time he skins his defender on the wing, which these days seems to be every time he tries, it's actually a CB and that then puts him clean through on goal. Lethal. Whereas from a wide position he produces his best skill to beat the first man but still has so much to do to turn that into a goalscoring opportunity.

starman

Rashford was as good as Lukaku. If Lukaku didn't pounce on the two errors would people really be raving about his performance over 90 minutes?
Rashford was crucial for all three goals. His press produced the error for the first. His shot produced the error for the second and he scored the pen. He was as influential as Lukaku, so i dont see where this "he was poor" is coming from.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Itll be 3 of rashford/martial/lukaku/lingard depending on form/fitness. It's like during Fergies time here. There was always competition for places and rarely a set best 11, but rather constant rotation.

SAFMUTD

While Lukaku is on fire in the last games I think Rashford had dropped since his injury against Liverpool. Fortunately we have them both and if one doesn’t respond the other one does.

Im among the ones defending Rashford game against PSG, without a doubt it wasn’t his game, he lost the ball a lot of times but sometimes it’s just not your day but he didnt stop running, trying and pressuring and that’s all you can ask from a player when it’s not his day.

Oh and by the way he showed BALLS OF STEEL to take the penalty, seriously on a rainy day, 94 minute, with the crowd against and Buffon in front and he took it with all the calmness.

What else can you ask from this kid?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ole said 3 things since he came here.
1) Lukaku must be in penalty box
2) Rashford is striker
3) he loves playing with wingers who can beat a player( Martial).

So maybe, when we will be in full strength, he can play formation with one winger, and two strikers with Dalot on attacking full back. Rashford/Lukaku can be some false right wingers who will play on the right in defence but in attack they will leave that space for Dalot.

I don't see any other solution. I doubt that any of those 3 players will be happy on the bench. Of course, this raises another question; what if we buy right winger?

Nhuyb

Rashford was as good as Lukaku. If Lukaku didn't pounce on the two errors would people really be raving about his performance over 90 minutes?
Rashford was crucial for all three goals. His press produced the error for the first. His shot produced the error for the second and he scored the pen. He was as influential as Lukaku, so i dont see where this "he was poor" is coming from.
So, you say Lukaku scored two goals but does nothing (or close to nothing) and doesn't earn some praise but Rashford is "just" involved in those goals, his game was not really good but he deserves praise ?

I just want to say, THEY never give up, THEY play each situation to the max and the result was wonderful. I can't understand how some people can critisize something after such a memorable game ! (10 main players out for differents reasons !! You can't ask for Barcelona type of play !)

Edit: to be honest, I read again your post, you never said Lukaku have done nothing. My bad. ;-)

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Same here. I think this is just a case of people hyping something that isn't there. I mean what exactly has this partnership produced? Lukaku has scored braces 3 games in a row but on the other hand Rashford has been quite poor, so all these talks of partnership about them has me puzzled.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I hope lukaku is hitting his prime and can go into beast mode. This form is what we all hoped of him when he signed. Let’s enjoy it! Rashford will have dips and he’s in a slight one now. What’s most important for us is we can field 2 or 3 in form attacking players for any given challenge with youth players getting minutes and experience behind them. It just means you’ve to play really well to stay in the team and that can only be a good thing

starman

So, you say Lukaku scored two goals but does nothing (or close to nothing) and doesn't earn some praise but Rashford is "just" involved in those goals, his game was not really good but he deserves praise ?

I just want to say, THEY never give up, THEY play each situation to the max and the result was wonderful. I can't understand how some people can critisize something after such a memorable game ! (10 main players out for differents reasons !! You can't ask for Barcelona type of play !)

Edit: to be honest, I read again your post, you never said Lukaku have done nothing. My bad. ;-)
Eh, my post was directed to people bashing Rashford when he was as influential as Lukaku...

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Rashford has been absolute pony since getting that knock against Liverpool. Lukaku on the other hand has been amazing. I personally think Martial and Lukaku are our best strike partnership, they even equalled some record last season held by Cole and Yorke for assisted goals between each other.
I remember Lukaku and Martial playing very well together, too. With Rashford seeming a bit knocked due to his injury, maybe we can give him some rest and try out the above two for a few games.

deadrevelz

Lukaku - Martial partnership doesn't have enough movement or work rate. Our best formation has been with Martial Rashford and Lingard for that reason.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I think once everyone is fit, Lukaku will be moved to the right with Marcus up top and Martial on the left.

Lukaku's delivery from the right and his pace on counters has been impressive although he doesn't get enough credit for that.

His goal scoring has been brilliant past few games but Rashford on the right is not a great idea in my books.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Still think Martial, Lingard and Rashford is our best attack.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Lukaku - Martial partnership doesn't have enough movement or work rate. Our best formation has been with Martial Rashford and Lingard for that reason.
Yeah. Rashford's intensity, work rate, directness is very important and also he is the only threat from distance out of 3.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I personally think Rashford shows flashes of brilliance but is rarely consistently brilliant.

Very similar to young Cristiano

Greck

Between Lukaku's finishing and linkup inconsistencies and Rashford's decisionmaking inconsistencies this 'partnership' is as hazardous to us as it is our opponents. Their synergy isn't great

hobbers

All of our forwards are horribly inconsistent but we need to go back to the front four of Martial, Pogba, Lingard and Rashford. By far our most effective attacking system.

AndyJ1985

It's not exactly Yorke and Cole is it

or even Sheringham and Solskjaer for that matter

lsd

The Oracle
Both have been complete rubbish today in regards of finishing and their final ball

Erics_Collar

Lukaku is not good enough to be our striker in the long run. Best we can hope for is that his recent purple patch continues and Madrid lose their minds and sign him.

TsuWave

Rashford is still pretty inconsistent, he has a high ceiling though. Lukaku can't be first option if we want to be one of the best teams around

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Might be a problem down the road. Rashford plays much better as a dynamic no.9, but Lukaku also occupies this role and can be very prolific. We played some of our best football with Martial, Rashford and lingard upfront. I feel this partnership might need to die, so we can settle on one of them and get a right attacker like Sancho, Felix or maybe even Pepe.

Yagami

Good post resistant
All of our forwards are horribly inconsistent but we need to go back to the front four of Martial, Pogba, Lingard and Rashford. By far our most effective attacking system.
Our general play was definitely better with that 3, but it's harsh leaving Lukaku out on current form. He deserves to stay in, imo.

I haven't ever been impressed with Rashford's and Lukaku's partnership, but maybe the inclusion of Martial will help form some cohesiveness.