Lukaku to Chelsea? €100m bid + player rejected

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
120 million pounds + 12 million wages after tax (as per Di Marzio). That's a huge investment.
It underscores just how big of a deal Erling‘s release clause is due to how strong the market for strikers remains even after covid. That boy is gonna get paid.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I know it was tongue in cheek but I remember Herrera used to pocket Hazard all the time etc doesn’t make him great or a better player
This happened like once when Herrera basically followed Hazard around like a shadow. I think you beat us 2-0 in that game and Herrera actually scored. I can't think of any other games where Herrera marked Hazard out of the game.

Chabon

It’ll be a laugh if he goes for a similar fee to Kane despite being the same age and half the player.

432JuanMata

This happened like once when Herrera basically followed Hazard around like a shadow. I think you beat us 2-0 in that game and Herrera actually scored. I can't think of any other games where Herrera marked Hazard out of the game.
You name any top player in there career and I will find a game they have been pocketed in ? It happens to anyone.

Amarsdd

Chelsea fans will soon learn to be indifferent about Lukaku. During his time here, even though he scored a decent number of goals, I never felt more than 'meh' about him.

galcianuk

It’ll be a laugh if he goes for a similar fee to Kane despite being the same age and half the player.
Not sure why people think Lukaku is significantly worse than Kane. Dude won Serie A as their best player and the player of the year for the whole league. He is one of the best strikers in the world.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You name any top player in there career and I will find a game they have been pocketed in ? It happens to anyone.
Yeah of course, I'm not claiming Hazard is some sort of super human that can't be pocketed. I'm just saying I can't remember Herrera doing it more than that one time. You said it he used to do it all the time :D

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
With Lukaku pushing for it the deal will happen. Think something in the region of €120-130M should do it i reckon

432JuanMata

Yeah of course, I'm not claiming Hazard is some sort of super human that can't be pocketed. I'm just saying I can't remember Herrera doing it more than that one time. You said it he used to do it all the time :D
He did it twice 100% sure and he played well against him another time. No I know you weren’t claiming that I was just pointing out all players have been pocketed even Messi and Ronaldo

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Kane is English, the England captain, plays for a PL “rival,” and has years left on his contract. Even if he was shite his fee would be ridiculous.

I’m already kind of meh on Lukaku but his record speaks for itself. I may not like it but all he does is score goals.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Price doesn't matter if he deliver half the goals what kane will for city it's still good thing for Chelsea since chelsea are desperate for goal scorers.

I am not fan of him and not wanted him at chelsea though. But tuchel wanted him then who am I to judge after all he delivered champions league.

Nobody will say he is better than kane though as things stand.But every season will be new season. I will back him to score 15+ goals. Chelsea s highest goal scorer last season was jorginho with 7 goals and that says Lukaku is 300% better than what we have.

432JuanMata

All the time is a stretch. It was only one game.
Was it not twice ? I’m sure it was maybe I’m wrong, but my overall point still stands every world class player has been pocketed. The weirdest one was I remember Lennon used to kill Evra every time

el3mel

Was it not twice ? I’m sure it was maybe I’m wrong, but my overall point still stands every world class player has been pocketed. The weirdest one was I remember Lennon used to kill Evra every time
It was only one game, when we defeated them 2-0 in 2017. I don't remember any other game in which Herrera "pocketed" Hazard.

TheReligion

Abusive
Kane is English, the England captain, plays for a PL “rival,” and has years left on his contract. Even if he was shite his fee would be ridiculous.

I’m already kind of meh on Lukaku but his record speaks for itself. I may not like it but all he does is score goals.
Apparently not.

Offers more than Danny Ings some say.

I'd agree with you.

Chabon

His record is a goal every 170 minutes in the PL. That’s a long way short of a truly world class goal scorer like Kane (a goal every 120 minutes).

::sonny::

Seems a done deal, waiting for the announcement

130 million cash by Chelsea

United have to receive 55 million + the 5% of 130

chiz2kul

Not sure why people think Lukaku is significantly worse than Kane. Dude won Serie A as their best player and the player of the year for the whole league. He is one of the best strikers in the world.
That sentiment is so prevalent on here and it actually blows my mind. The only reasonable explanation is english bias.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's not just you. Someone even referred to him as needing to be fed carrots; it is purposely dehumanizing.
It isn’t because he’s black, it’s because he’s got the first touch of a trampoline and he can’t sort his feet out. Those are the kind of players you’ll usually see called a donkey. You don’t see Neymar called it, because even though he’s black he’s not a donkey on the ball.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
£5.5 million is a nice add on that I doubt we expected.

£5.5 less to pay for Haland next year. :drool:

mu4c_20le

Because even when Lukaku was in the PL, Kane was significantly better. As was pre-contract Aubameyang. Lukaku was never really in the discussion. He benefitted from playing in a slower league where he could literally bully defenders.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He looks a much better player now than at united. Been well coached since he left.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He looks a much better player now than at united. Been well coached since he left.
Agree, he's in better shape both mentally and physically.

Also, Conte set-up suits him better than the one Mourinho tried (target man). He always used his size best when sprinting with the ball or chasing the ball while he looked kind of soft playing as a target man, being more easily bullied in the challenge.

Tuchel will use him similar to Conte and he could be really good for them.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Maybe it's time to stop heaping praise on Cheleas transfer activity?
Who does that?
They do make sexy signings but they wasted A LOT of money on silly ideas during the years

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The more I talk about it, the more I talk myself into getting on board with this move.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think much better is a stretch. Was intrigued to watch him again in the euros and he seemed like the same player I wanted rid of when he was here - just a bit fitter.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Who does that?
They do make sexy signings but they wasted A LOT of money on silly ideas during the years
A lot of people envy Chelsea's dealings in and out, they envy them selling their academy players like Tomori for big money rather than giving them a chance in the first team and they envy the swiftness of how they get their targets in like they're doing with Lukaku (just ignore the failed pursuit of Haaland all summer)

:angel:

United in sin

Because even when Lukaku was in the PL, Kane was significantly better. As was pre-contract Aubameyang. Lukaku was never really in the discussion. He benefitted from playing in a slower league where he could literally bully defenders.
Serie A is notoriously difficult to score in. They still love the art of defending there. I think it's mostly only British football fans who think faster football is better football by default. Lukaku will score lots of goals at Chelsea. You're forgetting he scored 27 in his first season at United, just one short of Zlatan the season prior and he didn't take penalties

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Serie A is notoriously difficult to score in. They still love the art of defending there. I think it's mostly only British football fans who think faster football is better football by default. Lukaku will score lots of goals at Chelsea. You're forgetting he scored 27 in his first season at United, just one short of Zlatan the season prior and he didn't take penalties
You're right Lukaku will score a lot of goals for Chelsea however he only got 16 for us in the league which was significantly less than he got for Everton the year before. Also comparing him to Zlatan who missed the last couple of months through injury isn't exactly fair

mu4c_20le

I said PL, so I include all of them. IMO he only really had one great league season, his last one at Everton. I've no doubt he'll score goals for the, because that is literally what he does, but I'm really surprised because I expected them to be the ones to go for Ings and then all out for Haaland next year. When I first heard about this I thought it was too good to be true.

Tragically Hip

That sentiment is so prevalent on here and it actually blows my mind. The only reasonable explanation is english bias.
It is hard to equate Serie A to the Premier League when Inter relied on players like Sanchez, Darmian, and Young. It is clearly an inferior league. The hate for Lukaku has a lot to do with his over-inflated ego though.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He improved lot since he left united. Yes he occasionally looked the same old Lukaku but he improved a lot in general play much in my opinion.

Nobody would say Ronaldo scored in this age only because he played in Italian league or Ibrahimovic.

Fair to judge him half way next season if he comes back to pl.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
United fans never took to him. He'll do a couple years at Chelsea before moving to PSG. Will score goals but is not a €120m player.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
This isn't the Serie A of the past just look at how crazy the goalscoring has been in the past few seasons.

edit: past 17 years

04/05 - 960
05/06 - 988
06/07 - 969
07/08 - 970
08/09 - 988
09/10 - 992
10/11 - 955
11/12 - 972
12/13 - 1000
13/14 - 1035
14/15 - 1024
15/16 - 979
16/17 - 1123
17/18 - 1017
18/19 - 1019
19/20 - 1154
20/21 - 1160

Source TM

Last edited:

United in sin

This isn't the Serie A of the past just look at how crazy the goalscoring has been in the past few seasons.
You're not wrong, the stats tell a different story in recent times. However, in 2019 Ronaldo told journalists the serie A has been the toughest league he's played in because of their approach to defending first then attacking. This is what he said:

"In my opinion, in the Italian League it is more difficult to score than in the Spanish League, the Spanish League is more open, the teams risk more, the priority here is to defend well and then attack, in Spain it is not like that, it is always open game , almost all the teams.
I also played in England for five years and I think the league in which it is more difficult to score is the Italian one "
https://www.sportskeeda.com/footbal...iga-and-premier-league-says-cristiano-ronaldo

The Purley King

I think much better is a stretch. Was intrigued to watch him again in the euros and he seemed like the same player I wanted rid of when he was here - just a bit fitter.
Exactly correct. He still has the occasional horrific first touch and he still looks highly uncomfortable when he has to play in controlled spaces.
He couldn’t be less unfit than at Utd though. Half the fans would have run more than him in some games.
He’ll do ok he’ll score some goals and he’ll throw his toys out of the pram when someone suggests he can’t hack it in the important games (he can’t). Chelsea are welcome to him, it will be a hugely expensive mistake unless some Italian club will buy him back after 18 months for 75% of what Chelsea pay him