Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schweinsteiger

Yet another striker “it didn’t quite work out for”.

Another casualty resulting from a confused team identity.

I wish him well but found it frustrating to watch him play sometimes. A good player but not a top one for me.

el3mel

Good news. We may miss his goals but the team as a whole will benefit from not having a striker whose second touch is a tackle.
Good luck for him there. Glad this is over. Not replacing him will be a major mistake though.

FerociousCorgis

crazy as it may be, with a 4-2-3-1 not really that worried about his loss. Worst case we rotate martial/rashford up top, and i am extremely happy with the idea of greenwood getting legitimate time. He looks ready. Plus can always throw sanchez up there for a game and see what happens. Think with some added focus on the wide play we might be able to accomplish more without Lukaku slowing things up as is. Now we just need to send mata and matic out to pasture as well.

MrSingh2002

Good news. We may miss his goals but the team as a whole will benefit from not having a striker whose second touch is a tackle.
Haha. Can't wait to not see him around now. I think we'll need a replacement at some point though as none of our current squad have what it takes to be a world class number 9 either.

arthurka

crazy as it may be, with a 4-2-3-1 not really that worried about his loss. Worst case we rotate martial/rashford up top, and i am extremely happy with the idea of greenwood getting legitimate time. He looks ready. Plus can always throw sanchez up there for a game and see what happens. Think with some added focus on the wide play we might be able to accomplish more without Lukaku slowing things up as is. Now we just need to send mata and matic out to pasture as well.
Gospel.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How did we get 70+m for a player that can’t trap a ball?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's definitely crazy. We're selling a player who bangs in around 20 goals a season on average without replacing him. Regardless of his touch or his attitude or whether he fits our playstyle, that's pure fecking madness.

But hey, at least we keep the important ones around like Jones and Mata.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's in pounds.

Bought for 75 + 15m, but not sure how many of those bonuses were paid given his modest goal return and lack of trophies

Sold for 65 + 12m, but doubt we'll get many of the add ons as Inter aren't displacing Juve as top dogs any time soon.

prateik

Fellaini and Lukaku gone within 6 months..
Some of you must be over the moon.

acnumber9

I don’t rate him but selling a forward from a team that struggled to score goals and not replacing him is fecking stupid. Typical of Manchester United right now unfortunately. We can maybe play one of our 18 centre backs up front.

Handsome Devil

This is bad news. Who will now raise a thumb as they slowly jog back to the halfway line or do that little silent hand clap, standing like an Easter Island Statue as another intended cross enters orbit.

Paul778

We took a bath when we bought him. Everyone knew we were overpaying. He's shown no form or appetite since being here (on the pitch that is - the local pizza restaurant is another story).

Everything about his demeanor stinks of entitlement. He's not used to not being number one and having to fight for his place.

Need players with passion and desire. Players who leave everything out on the field. I hope we sign someone to give us a different option, but if we go into the season with Martial/Rashford/Greenwood fighting for the No9 shirt that's a much heathier place surely? I'm really hoping Greenwood gets a good shot this season.

Greck

How did we get 70+m for a player that can’t trap a ball?
They see his goal tally for us and Belgium. They see the goals against PSG. They don't realise that most weeks he's amassing a lowlight factory to rival the good he brings

Pav1878

I'm not his biggest fan, but the guy scored some important goals. What was oue best result last year? PSG away. And who scored 2?

This may be good news if we get someone better in but I doubt that is happening.

On the flip side, it pissed me of no end seeing him get outmuscled by VVD and half the CBs in the premier League last year, especially cos he's built like a brick sh*ithouse

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
One of. Thought he was absolutely electric at Everton. Created his own goals, made consistently fantastic runs, great finisher. Among the happiest I've ever been with a signing.

Shows what I know. Although in my defence I couldn't have predicted he'd become out of shape and decide to act like a horrific professional.
Tbf he was brilliant at Everton. The obvious flaws were there i.e first touch and too sluggish at times - but we knew what we were getting with Lukaku and were happy about it (most were).

The first season was good. We all thought we had our at-least-20-goal striker. The second season in fairness was bad for everyone. He didn't help with his muscle/mass issues and low output.

A fact not being mentioned here is that all Mourinho favourites seem to be suffering because of being selected even though they were shit (if others started instead I doubt they'd do better since the whole squad seemed to be under performing for what it's worth). Anyway wish him well; probably could have handled his exit better. Good luck Rom.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I think buying him was a good decision. 24, hungry striker who was banging in goals and premier league proven. He had the potential to take that next big step and was talked of as a mega talent when he was young.

He just didn't make that next step to be a top class striker. It failed and he definitely wasn't suited for us (or any PL winning team) but it was worth the punt. You can't win 'em all.

If another striker of Lukaku's profile is on the market I would be all for it. Maybe they will actually work on their deficiencies and play to their strengths.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Worthless player towards the end, getting 77 pence for him would have day light robbery from our perspective, but to get 77 million euros for that lazy cnut, brilliant deal.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This is bad news. Who will now raise a thumb as they slowly jog back to the halfway line or do that little silent hand clap, standing like an Easter Island Statue as another intended cross enters orbit.
We have to get rid or change the attitude of all the players who stops their run and stands around with their arms in the air in attack. Lukaku was very selfish and didn't improve, he actually regressed. I think it is a fair evaluation and even if he'll score a shitload in Italy I don't think he would have for us in the PL.. for once we actually got money for a player we wanted to sell :lol: Can't remember the last time honestly.

starman

Let's get this signed before Inter awake from whatever voodoo spell they have been put under to be spending this much on him...

In all seriousness, Italy is probably the best league for him to succeed at one of the top teams. As well as having Conte who will build his entire team around him..

Mark Pawelek

It's definitely crazy. We're selling a player who bangs in around 20 goals a season on average without replacing him. Regardless of his touch or his attitude or whether he fits our playstyle, that's pure fecking madness.

It's madness to keep him. He wants to start. Ole only wants him as an impact player. Anyway, If I were able to I'd take the fee and invest in a solid defensive midfielder to replace Matic first before improving our strikers. I think Greenwood replaces Lukaku. More likely Greenwood is added as #7 option with Rashford, Sanchez and Martial as #9 options James and Chong as other wingers. Mata, Lingard, Gomes, and Andreas as #10 options. In a 4-2-3-1. All of them more mobile so allowing us to play the fluid football Ole wants.

Last edited:

ParksLife81

Glad we got the amount we did. Good player in the right system but evident from the first season he joined his style wouldn't suit us.

With that pocketed if we cant manage one more signing it will leave a sour taste on this transfer window.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I said at the start of the window that we would be idiots to get rid of a 15-20 goal striker and not get in a replacement and.. it looks like we might just be idiots.
Aye, we're going to look like massive spanners when the season starts and reality hits.

Beagle

I don't give a rat ass about him, Ed Accept bid please even if we don't sign another striker now during the winter window.
I think not investing elsewhere is the bigger concern than the striker department.

FerociousCorgis

He scored 12 league goals. None against the top teams. Give martial a run in at the 9 and i guarantee he matches that. Think people understimate having people on the pitch that just dont fit the system. You cant have 9 people playing a certain way and 2 not. It causes huge problems (also one reason i hate the Mata contract with a passion)

Last edited:

mancan92

So now that he is gone are we going to actually be smart and replace him? Or cry mid season about how we have lost a proven goal scorer and have no one to take the mantle?

Status
Not open for further replies.