Luke Shaw: ‘People can say I’m fat but I’ve never been out of shape’

PvsNP

Luke Shaw: ‘People can say I’m fat but I’ve never been out of shape’

Luke Shaw is honest regarding the criticism he attracts for perceived weight issues.

Speaking at the Montage hotel in Beverly Hills, where Manchester United are based for their US summer tour, Shaw is about to embark on a make-or-break year at Old Trafford. The defender is in great shape physically after a personal pre-season programme in Dubai this month but, more than anything, he would rather his physique was not constantly judged.

“I guess you’ve just got to take it because there is always going to be negative criticism and positive but both of them can make you stronger,” he says. “I’ve been unlucky because I’ve had a few ups and downs with different managers but I would say I’ve never been out of shape. Honestly, I feel really good and I’m raring to go, and the minutes [on tour] are only going to help me become fitter.”

Shaw, who has started all three of United’s games in the US, is entering the final year of a contract he signed in 2014, when he arrived at Old Trafford from Southampton for a fee in excess of £27m and with the then 18-year-old an England left‑back. He was expected to occupy the same position at United for a decade or more but his career there has yet to fire.

Shaw has endured injury, notably a broken leg in September 2015 that ended his season. And from the moment Louis van Gaal, José Mourinho’s predecessor, branded him overweight during the 2014 summer tour of the US, the charge has dogged him.

“People can say I’m fat but I know my own body,” Shaw says. “I always look big because I’m bigger built – I’ve got that Wayne Rooney type of body.”

The trip to Dubai illustrates the player’s determination to compete with Ashley Young for United’s starting left-back slot, and if a picture he posted on social media is anything to go by the 23-year-old has been doing all the right things.

“I worked hard and not just for them [critics],” says Shaw, who is likely to start United’s Premier League curtain-raiser with Leicester City on 10 August because of Young’s post-World Cup break. “I’m working harder than ever and in the first game I want to look 10 times better than in that picture.”

Like Van Gaal before him Mourinho has been critical of Shaw’s weight, leading to accusations of bullying on the Portuguese’s part and the player at one stage last year believing he had no future at United. But as Shaw reveals, the current United manager has been hugely supportive of his summer fitness regime, going as far as to send him encouraging text messages.

“I was in Dubai with my girlfriend. It was funny – I was on my phone flicking through stuff. I got the text and accidentally clicked straight away [to reveal he read it]. The manager was probably thinking: ‘Jesus Christ!’I said to my girlfriend: ‘I’ve just opened it and I must look so weird now.’ It was fine. I left it a little bit to reply because I didn’t want to look too eager. It was a breath of fresh air when he texted me. I wasn’t expecting it. I spoke to him and it was really positive.”

Shaw runs through his routine in Dubai. “We had to wake up early because it was hitting 45 degrees by 10 o’clock – it was quite painful the first day as we did do it in that heat. I would train and go in the gym. Then relax during the day and run on the beach and do core work in the evening before the sun went down.”

With Shaw’s deal ending next summer he could leave United on a free if the club do not offer him fresh terms. “That’s what’s most frustrating,” he says. “You don’t want to be in this situation but I know I have got the quality to [truly] become a Manchester United player. Because at the moment it would be easy to sort of give up, after what happened in the last year or so.”

Shaw is referencing Mourinho’s public admonishments regarding his approach to training and performances in matches. “It would be easy for me to quit and say: ‘I want to go.’ Of course, if the manager comes and says: ‘You’re not a player for Manchester United, you’re not a player for me,’ then I’ll accept that and find another place.

“I want to earn a contract. I don’t want a contract because in the next year I’m a free agent, so they might look to tie me down. I know the club believe me – I’ve spoken with them, the manager, I’ve had discussions, meetings. If they really wanted to they could’ve cashed in. I’m going to fight for it this year and I want to be in that starting team.”

Shaw appeared to hit a nadir in March when he was hauled off by Mourinho at half-time of the 2-0 victory against Brighton. It seemed his Old Trafford career may be over. Yet there were four further appearances. “There were no doubts but there has been emotion,” the player says. “I was very upset but he [Mourinho] only does stuff like that because he knows what I can do. We’ve had this conversation. He said he knows I can be the best but he sometimes feels frustrated that I’m not doing that.

“He knows what I can do. That was one of the texts he sent me in the off-season: ‘I know what you can do – you can be the best but you’ve just got to work on a couple of things.’ That’s why it pushes me on more. He says these things because he knows I can do it. He knows I can play for Manchester United.

“It’s horrible at times because people only see those things he says [in public]. That’s fine because I’m a grown man and I can take stuff like that. I’m used to it. But the stuff inside the training ground, no one sees apart from me. It still gives me confidence.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/26/luke-shaw-manchester-united-jose-mourinho

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Just lock the thread now.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He always does these weird personal interviews too. On a side note, never felt such sympathy from a statement.

“People can say I’m fat but I know my own body,” Shaw says. “I always look big because I’m bigger built – I’ve got that Wayne Rooney type of body.”

Jacko21

Comparing his body to Rooney’s might not be the best idea. There’s a reason Wayne found himself in the U.S aged 32.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
some of you lot must have great bodies. All you like to do is slag him for being fat, when he is far from it.

King Eric 7

I'm not fat I'm just <insert euphemism for fat>. Yes, we've heard it all before.

Greck

Gets a bonus for wanting to stay and fight for his place. Sandro muppets should think about that before crucifying him for not leaving

Hoof the ball

He always does these weird personal interviews too. On a side note, never felt such sympathy from a statement.

"Wayne Rooney type of body" :lol:

you're not helping yourself.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Comparing his body to Rooney’s might not be the best idea. There’s a reason Wayne found himself in the U.S aged 32.
No, Wayne is in the MLS at age 32 because he refused to look after his body in the right way, having that body type doesnt pre-dispose you to having an early finish to your career. Provided he can manage himself in the right way he can have a long career.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
some of you lot must have great bodies. All you like to do is slag him for being fat, when he is far from it.
I find posts like this a little weird. We’re not professional athletes being paid millions to play at one of the biggest clubs in the world, along with a plethora of nutritionists, trainers and sports scientists available at our fingertips.

If we apply that sentiment then we might as well all pack it in and not post on RedCafe since we’re not PL footballers and who are we to comment on the game?

edcunited1878

He's not fit for a professional footballer at the top level...physically nor mentally. He has the natural ability that's carried him this far but all professionals need much more than ability.

edgar allan

Gets a bonus for wanting to stay and fight for his place. Sandro muppets should think about that before crucifying him for not leaving
He is on a good contract and no-one wants him. He will go on a free at the end of the year.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If you need to address people who think you are fat, and list reasons why you might look fat but aren't really fat. Then you have an unhealthy relationship with you body.

Whether you are fat, slim, athletic, ripped, obese. You acknowledge it and deal with it. Don't do this nonsense of 'I may look fat but I just have a big body type.'

Jacko21

No, Wayne is in the MLS at age 32 because he refused to look after his body in the right way, having that body type doesnt pre-dispose you to having an early finish to your career. Provided he can manage himself in the right way he can have a long career.
I was being tongue-in-cheek.

Summit

I find posts like this a little weird. We’re not professional athletes being paid millions to play at one of the biggest clubs in the world, along with a plethora of nutritionists, trainers and sports scientists available at our fingertips.

If we apply that sentiment then we might as well all pack it in and not post on RedCafe since we’re not PL footballers and who are we to comment on the game?
Find it weird as much as you like. I find it weird people calling him fat when he isn't. Just because he isn't about 5% body fat like Ronaldo, he's deemed fat. There was a pic of him in training a few weeks ago where his 6 pack is showing, how is that fat?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
To be fair mate it's a genuine issue, and nobody on here is being paid tens of thousands a week as a professional athlete.

Summit

There's a difference between the average Joe and a high level athlete.
Ok so Raonalo (brazil), Gazza and Maradona are classed as average joes now because they didn't have the body fat of about 5%?

kirk buttercup

"Wayne Rooney Body" :lol: Fair play to the lad for wanting to fight for his place . Hope it works out for him ..."Wayne Rooney Body" :lol: it's like saying I have a dad Bod.

Greck

He is on a good contract and no-one wants him. He will go on a free at the end of the year.
That's just your opinion. He says he wants to get a new contract because he earned it and not just because the club wants to retain him as an asset

Summit

To be fair mate it's a genuine issue, and nobody on here is being paid tens of thousands a week as a professional athlete.
Do you think it is his weight as to why he's not been playing as well as he should, or getting starts like he should? When ever I've seen him play his stamina does't seem to be a issue.

OL29

I wonder if we're not actively looking for a new LB because Mourinho genuinely believes Shaw can make that spot his own.

I actually really like Shaw, I think he's got real quality and he seems like a good lad, would love to see him finally realise his potential here, as unlikely as it seems.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Ok so Raonalo (brazil), Gazza and Maradona are classed as average joes now because they didn't have the body fat of about 5%?
Gascoigne and Maradona are hardly examples of players with excellent conditioning.

In any case, they were once in a generation talents who’d look good even while not being at their best, whereas this is Luke Shaw. He also plays in the position that’s perhaps the most physically demanding, going up and down the flank for 90 mins.

Minimalist

Jesus christ, what a clampet for talking about it. Just sell him now, he's a child. :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Do you think it is his weight as to why he's not been playing as well as he should, or getting starts like he should? When ever I've seen him play his stamina does't seem to be a issue.
I think the weight is a symptom of a mentality issue, and his physical condition seems to yo-yo quite dramatically at times. There's unquestionably been times where his weight has been an issue; Mourinho even called him out on it if I remember correctly.

I hope he can sort himself out and kick on to be the player we all want him to be, but to be honest I'm not holding my breath.

Summit

Gascoigne and Maradona are hardly examples of players with excellent conditioning.

In any case, they were once in a generation talents who’d look good even while not being at their best, whereas this is Luke Shaw. He also plays in the position that’s perhaps the most physically demanding, going up and down the flank for 90 mins.
I don't see his stamina being an issue tbh. I think he's more than got the fitness to play 90 minutes. I think people jump on his weight because he isn't producing on the pitch, when to me it is feck all to do with his weight.

beedoubleyou

Thought he, and Mourinho, came across very well in that interview. Cuts though a lot of the bullshit typed on here and in the press.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I don't see his stamina being an issue tbh. I think he's more than got the fitness to play 90 minutes. I think people jump on his weight because he isn't producing on the pitch, when to me it is feck all to do with his weight.
Like someone said, I think the weight is just a symptom of his poor mentality. He looks poor on the pitch, and if the guy can’t even keep himself fit, does he really even want to be here? We need a team of committed professionals motivated to be at their absolute best. He’s surely not putting in all the work if he looks like he does.

Summit

Like someone said, I think the weight is just a symptom of his poor mentality. He looks poor on the pitch, and if the guy can’t even keep himself fit, does he really even want to be here? We need a team of committed professionals motivated to be at their absolute best. He’s surely not putting in all the work if he looks like he does.
He could be putting in all the work required on the pitch for sure. He may fall short off the pitch with his diet, but then again like I said, how can someone be called fat who has a 6 pack showing?

Kazi

‘I’ve got that Wayne Rooney type of body’

I sang this bit like it was a lyric in Taylor Swift - Style

el3mel

I'm not a footballer so no one is concerned about how my body looks like. Shaw on the other hand..

Andersons Dietician

@Summit i’m with you on this. I chose my user name because of these mr universes that seem to know everything under the sun about nutrition and athleticism. He isn’t fat, just has that body type where he’ll stack on muscle easily and be bulky, as well as maintaining a decent body fat % also can we point out being 5% body fat doesn’t mean you’re athletic or even healthy.
I’m surprised half this lot haven’t had warnings tho, especially with the modern climate on body shaming and so on. Especially when suicide rates in men are so high. Something like 84 a week committing suicide. Would hate for Shaw to read some of the things written about him in here especially when those photos of him on holiday came out.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
You don't understand what body type, or build means?