Television Luther

lsd

The Oracle
Apparently there's very much a Bond like element in this. I wonder if it's a trial for him getting that role

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That was a bit dark, even for Luther, but fecking brilliant. Some of the best bits from Luther and some very black mirror-esque moments and themes throughout.

the Volvo and jacket will never die! :lol:

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The actor who played Justin Ripley tried to get my friend to toss his salad once. She told him no, but he kept trying to manoeuvre himself back into that general position until she told him to feck off.

Just a little bit of flavour for you all there.

hobbers

Feck me what a train wreck the film is.

The script is so shit it’s offensive.

Woodzy

Feck me what a train wreck the film is.

The script is so shit it’s offensive.
I've seen a lot of people say this.

I thoroughly enjoyed it personally. I didn't take it too seriously to begin with since they you know, had to basically undo the end of season 5 to even make the film possible. As a standalone film it's a good bit of fun.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've seen a lot of people say this.

I thoroughly enjoyed it personally. I didn't take it too seriously to begin with since they you know, had to basically undo the end of season 5 to even make the film possible. As a standalone film it's a good bit of fun.
Agree with you. Luther started to lose its way around season 4 in terms of the silliness beginning to overtake what made it as good as it was in the first two seasons but this movie still has some of the best bits of Luther mixed in with a new direction for it that they will take with Netflix and blockbuster adaptation.

Leg-End

It was just ok, it’s still a great character but it was missing a little something.

I felt like the director tried that little bit too hard to mimic Nolan’s Batman with sweeping dark city shots and let’s not mention Luther entering his own “bat cave” for his Volvo Batmobile and tweed superhero costume which is then followed by him overlooking the city….well, like Batman.

Distracted by Serkis’s wig a lot too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So how did he make the jump from not having a clue to knowing all the targets were linked by being blackmailed?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Missus just made me watch it. Dumb as feck.

My favourite bit was him using a touch screen mobile phone underwater. Mine won't do shit with a mildly moist finger. Get in the bin.

AFC NimbleThumb

The decline of a great character is sad to see. The ‘film’ was a condensed season that meant many plot points were left unexplored.

Time to bury the man & his tweed cause they couldn’t have done a worse job with the character of late.

jm99

How did Piccadilly Circus turn into a racetrack
I think serkis used his blackmail to get people to be driving high speed at that time, the same way he got the jumpers

It was strange that they completely ignored the end of season 5 but still had luther in jail

lsd

The Oracle
Really good I thought. Its the perfect role for him and always good to see him back in it.

Glad he had no distractions this time and could concentrate on the case at hand.

Martin Schenk is amazing too as Luther. Not sure where they go from here but I hope he is still around in some capacity.

That's if there is anymore obviously, if he doesn't get Bond I hope there will be

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Thought the film was decent, but you have to suspend your disbelief even more so than you do with the series. The story is a bit rushed so there's a lot of holes, it also felt like they had a special effects budget, and not a particular big one, but they were absolutely going to use it. The Piccadilly Circus scene just looked so bizarre, as did the prison riot scene.

I enjoyed it overall though. Andy Serkis played a very good exaggerated comic book villain. The idea behind the story was good, had a Black Mirror feel, but maybe 4 episodes would be better than cramming it into 2 hours.

Luther without Alice does feel a bit empty though. I was expecting her to turn up at some point. I guess we have to wait a few years to find out if she's even alive?

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I swear Idris remains one of the most prominent A listers to have barely ever been in anything actually good. Bested only perhaps by the Rock, because at least he got The Wire in there at the start.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Watched it tonight. As bad as the later seasons.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I kinda enjoyed it for what it is... But then I guess i just get a kick out of Idris running around as Luther.

I probably would have enjoyed it more had I literally not just finished Happy Valley, which is truly excellent.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It’s absolutely ridiculous :lol: Who writes these scripts? Entertaining enough but some of it is just laughable.

AlPistacho

I guess this movies shows exactly what Netflix movies are atm.
It's like they are being directed by 12 year olds.
I get what you mean. I think to appeal to a wider audience and make a sequel viable they had to give it the more “American” style action / thriller villain and ending. IMO was the weak part of the movie, but often forced by studios.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I get what you mean. I think to appeal to a wider audience and make a sequel viable they had to give it the more “American” style action / thriller villain and ending. IMO was the weak part of the movie, but often forced by studios.
"American" style action movies nowadays, especially 98% of the Netflix ones, are an absolute insult to common sense and human intelligence. For kids, yeah they might me good, for for people who are watching movies for 20-30 years, I find them extremely bad.
If I want to watch a good action/thriller it's better I re-watch the 80's or 90's classics.
Uncut Gems springs to mind as a good movie made by Netflix in the last years, but the vast majority is absolutely rubbish.

AlPistacho

"American" style action movies nowadays, especially 98% of the Netflix ones, are an absolute insult to common sense and human intelligence. For kids, yeah they might me good, for for people who are watching movies for 20-30 years, I find them extremely bad.
If I want to watch a good action/thriller it's better I re-watch the 80's or 90's classics.
Uncut Gems springs to mind as a good movie made by Netflix in the last years, but the vast majority is absolutely rubbish.
Uncut Gem was excellent. There’s another one with Adam Sandler, not sure if it’s a Netflix original thou, where he plays a basketball scout also pretty good.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I was thinking about watching this but the latter seasons felt like a show that went on too long even though it doesn't have that many seasons.

Judging by the reaction in here and some of the review scores, I don't think I'll bother with this until there isn't anything better to watch or do.

MoskvaRed

I gave up after an hour. Luther has always been Gothic rather than realistic but this plot just felt like scene followed by scene without much attempt at internal logic. Other than the overcoat, it didn’t inspire much nostalgia - even the Paradise Circus theme was missing. Looking back, I think Ruth Wilson carried the TV series as much as Idris.

Bert_

If you want to watch the movie then no need to watch the TV series as its got pretty much feck all to do with it apart from a few callbacks.

As a stand alone movie, the first half of it was alright. Standard sort of watchable thriller with what seemed like an attempt at a cautionary message about people giving up to much personal info online that bad guys (supervillans) can exploit.

feck knows what happened for the second half. Maybe the person who wrote it got board or gave up half way through and asked their dad to come up with the rest.

hobbers

Other thing struck me about this piece of shit film is that most of the tv series is people in the police trying to get evidence on Luther’s vigilantism to put him away. Including his boss, his colleagues and then a fecking task force.

Then the least convincing bad guy in the shows history gets him arrested and sentenced off screen with no explanation.