Kick-off
Tue, 22 September 2020 @ 8:15pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Nick7

I don’t think anyone played decent in that half.

Williams was very good all half? He couldn’t do absolutely anything against their defenders while having a lot of the ball (we only attack down the left today). In the last 5 minutes - fair enough
    He was getting passed easily, and couldn’t pass the ball at all. No idea what the other lad is on.

Superunknown

Had my first experience today of somebody in real life referring to Van De Beek as just "Beak" (like bird beak). I didn't know these people really existed until today. Do these people really think that some parent has given their child "van" and "de" as middle names? :lol:

Kearnkoff69

I agree with you but you are talking about the Johan Cruijff theory and we have Ole Gunnar. Different level as players and more importantly as coaches.
    I don't disagree at all. I'm just at the point where I'm not expecting any major flair signings to come in this summer, so instead of moping our coaching staff should figure out how to best utilize the pieces they have. I can empathize with Ole in that we don't have enough quality throughout the squad to compete with City, Liverpool, and the like, but I have limited sympathy for how poorly our squad is being set up. I had the same complaint with Jose, who also moaned about lack of signings but never got the best out of the players he did have.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
    Supports
    USA Manchester Red Socks
    I must admit while watching the game I was telling myself not to have any high expectations of us this year.
    Just go with the flow.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
    Scout
    Supports
    no-one in particular
    There's nothing to blame today in terms of tactics or play style..etc. It's that most of our squad options are simply not good enough even against dross they manage to make it always a struggle. Has been like that for about a year now.
    I'm not sure how true that is. I'm not watching the match at all, but shouldn't the entire squad now the team's system and be able to execute their roles as required? (To a lower standard, but anyway.) Or do I misunderstand you?

Also, if a team like City also play like shit in the cup with their second string, my point is anyway nonsense. :wenger:

onemanarmy

Had my first experience today of somebody in real life referring to Van De Beek as just "Beak" (like bird beak). I didn't know these people really existed until today. Do these people really think that some parent has given their child "van" and "de" as middle names? :lol:
    Have heard it too, pretty weird :)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
    Maguire movement is so funny. Like a truck. So so so slow. When he needs to switch direction i bet that in his head he says; "Oh, no!"

Ranchero

If AWB can't take on, beat or go past a Luton town full-back, then I have concerns for him this season. We are constantly passing it out wide to full-backs who don't take anyone on. They run, stop, then play it backwards. If you don't have the guts to take these lot on, then we need some new wingers.
    AWB is a case of a player bought who is not capable of doing the job we want of him. He isnt an attacking full back

MattofManchester

No point in talking about fullbacks making runs.
    Nobody in our squad bar Bruno, Van De Beek and shockingly Lingard seem to believe in making movements to find space in advanced positions consistently.

Hell, even Bruno is doing it less and less.

diarm

I spent ages earlier writing a long in depth post about what's wrong with the club and how to fix it.

But the reality is much more simple. All but maybe 5 or 6 of our players just aren't very good at football.

Nick7

AWB is a case of a player bought who is not capable of doing the job we want of him. He isnt an attacking full back
    I’m pretty sure we did not buy him as an attacking full back, so what exactly is your point?

Charlie Foley

Yeah I totally get that he can help pick locks with his 1-2's and vision, but the bolded issue is seriously exacerbated when our RB is AWB.
    I agree with you there. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that he looked much better when he had Valencia at right back behind him (and Herrera as a right sided 8 on a similar wavelength). Complimented one another very well. (He also scored a lovely goal vs city in the 4-2 off the left). Unsure AWB is the right pairing for such a player as you said.

Gandalf

He showed improvement in the second half of last season. I think the biggest obstacle right now is not having a proper RW in front of him. When your so called partner keeps drifting inside and you are covering the flank on your own you are naturally cautious about committing to far forward.

Sara125

Before this match I had no idea Luton are a championship team. Heard they’re actually decent too. I dunno there’s just those teams that you automatically assume are in League 2 or somewhere.

Nick7

I spent ages earlier writing a long in depth post about what's wrong with the club and how to fix it.

But the reality is much more simple. All but maybe 5 or 6 of our players just aren't very good at football.
    Unfortunately, I think it’s more than that. The players aren’t good, but there’s a hell of a lot more wrong with the club than that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
    Tunnicliffe is same generation as Lingard. One ended in Luton other is playing for one of biggest clubs in the world. Football, eh..

Dudu

How are luton so much better than us at keeping the ball?!

MattofManchester

He showed improvement in the second half of last season. I think the biggest obstacle right now is not having a proper RW in front of him. When your so called partner keeps drifting inside and you are covering the flank on your own you are naturally cautious about committing to far forward.
    If we end up(by some godly miracle) signing a RW that is Left Footed, this will still be a problem.

Ranchero

We are desperately predictably predictable. It is automaton football with no guile, no incisiveness, no penetration, no end product. Depressing.

Nick7

If we end up(by some godly miracle) signing a RW that is Left Footed, this will still be a problem.
    He’s looked much better better Greenwood than James. After the restart with Greenwood in front of him, he was looking much improved in an attacking sense.

I just think Mata is a tad crap a lot of the time now.

Ollie Derbyshire

We have some seriously depressing posters on here. Just read a couple of pages and every player is useless, our coaching staff are useless and Ole is no Johan Cruyff haha

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Literally the only trophy we stand a chance at winning, if the better teams rest a few players like Chelsea did against us yesterday. I say let’s try and win this, lifting trophies is fun.
    Normally yes, but with our fixture list this year, staying in this comp only hurts us IMO. Especially come December/January. We don't have the squad for this or the Fa cup this year. No team in europe should need to play the League cup this year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 200 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw