g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

LVG blasts Neville for post match comments?

VanGaalEra

LVG:

"He is an ex-legend, a legend, a former player of Manchester United. Murder? That’s an English expression — maybe.

‘He can say everything because he is an ex-legend, but as an ex-legend, or as a legend, you have to know what you are saying.

‘You can interpret that how you like. It’s not difficult. When I say that, he has to pay attention to his words.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ainst-Liverpool-Dog-Duck-versus-Red-Lion.html

The Red Thinker

LVG:

"He is an ex-legend, a legend, a former player of Manchester United. Murder? That’s an English expression — maybe.

‘He can say everything because he is an ex-legend, but as an ex-legend, or as a legend, you have to know what you are saying.

‘You can interpret that how you like. It’s not difficult. When I say that, he has to pay attention to his words.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ainst-Liverpool-Dog-Duck-versus-Red-Lion.html
Banter?

VanGaalEra

Haven't seen the video, and we know how it gets taken out of context with papers.

Is he having a go at him for using the word murder?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Neil Trashton making headlines out of LVG speaking broken English. He clearly didn't mean 'ex legend' in the way he's spinning it.

VanGaalEra

Neil Trashton making headlines out of LVG speaking broken English. He clearly didn't mean 'ex legend' in the way he's spinning it.
:lol: you've got to love the way they put a spin on things. Got to have a special type of brain for that.

ryansgirl

Louis Van Gaal does not speak broken English. His English is a bit stiff in the way anybody who is fairly fluent in another language can be as non native speakers of any language lack the euphemisms and everyday layers of expression. LVG would have meant what he said.

It was clear if you know what both of them were saying. Gary Neville is too mouthy, let's face it. I loved him when he played for United and I love him now. But he has a way of expressing himself that can be irritating and why would alpha manager LVG not comment when he feels that way?

I have said in other posts here that I think Gary would not fit in with a coaching role or whatever at United because he is gobby and would probably annoy the players. Just as Roy Keane is a United legend but clearly hasn't got what it takes to be the kind of communicator that successful mangers are. He also would not do well at United but he won't be given the chance.

LVG doesn't have to worry about how G Nev feels. Why would he? He is The Manchester United Manager, just like Sir Alex was. Nobody can ever be confused about that and that kind of manager will say what they feel needs saying.

Gary Nev was exaggerating the way he does but it's easy for a pundit to sit back and gob on. I don't care if LVG has a go at him and he was in that studiedly careful way. If you think LVG wasn't, then you've never seen vids of him when he was managing other teams. He has his boundaries and lets it be known when others cross them.

Tarrou

Thought Neville was spot-on in his general assessment of the performance. And LVG was pretty honest about how crap we were in his post-match too.

As for the Mail, I don't give a flying feck what they say, ever.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So actually looking at the video, the journo told Van Gaal that on sunday it'll be 2 average sides playing against each other, which is ridiculous really, because that isn't at all what he said. He half jokingly said it'll be like the dog and duck against the red lion (or something like that) on sunday if we play how we play today. Never said we're shite, or average, or something like that. Just the usual, media trying to cause unrest.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Van Gaal hardly blasts him anyway. And I'm pretty sure his perceived annoyance more so comes from not completely understanding the 'you got away with murder' phrase or taking it more seriously and literal than it should be.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So actually looking at the video, the journo told Van Gaal that on sunday it'll be 2 average sides playing against each other, which is ridiculous really, because that isn't at all what he said. He half jokingly said it'll be like the dog and duck against the red lion (or something like that) on sunday if we play how we play today. Never said we're shite, or average, or something like that. Just the usual, media trying to cause unrest.
Yep. If he was given the actual quote and understood what Neville meant by it then there would be no problem. After all, Van Gaal himself admitted he isn't happy with our performances.

But instead the Mail paraphrase and skew it completely. I don't know it was just a sensationalist piece of journalism in doing so or him merely simplifying the expression for someone foreign who might not understand the reference, but either way, nothing story.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
bang on - just a dickhead journo shitstirring by paraphrasing what Neville actually said

Oneunited26

United play badly we get away with murder, Chelsea and Man City do it, that is what top sides do. Let us not forget for the never ending time if we came up against a top side we will get destroyed, hmmmmm?

Our performances against the top tier teams so far

Chelsea OT 1 1
City away L 1 0 with smalling sent off 39th minute
Arsenal away W 2 1
Southampton away W 2 1

Am I missing something?

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
except that Southampton is not really top tier and your performances were not that good.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
United play badly we get away with murder, Chelsea and Man City do it, that is what top sides do. Let us not forget for the never ending time if we came up against a top side we will get destroyed, hmmmmm?

Chelsea OT 1 1
Arsenal away W 2 1
Southampton away W 2 1

Am I missing something?
Yes, you're missing a sense of humor that is needed to bear with some posters on the forum :)

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Our pundits arent shy of sticking it to the club are they? Saying that its hard to argue with his assessment but if LvG had a full compliment of players to choose from with no injuries then I would disagree that we would be average.

Mindhunter

Neville is paid to be overtly dramatic and I think the point he was trying to make did get across. We were dire and the final score didn't reflect the actual performance over the whole 90 minutes.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Seems like you are missing the point of the analogy. The dog and duck and red lion would be pub teams. I would naturally associate that with being piss poor, not even average.

Not that I care, Gaz is entitled to his opinion and it isn't like we were outstanding last night.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seems like you are missing the point of the analogy. The dog and duck and red lion would be pub teams. I would naturally associate that with being piss poor, not even average.

Not that I care, Gaz is entitled to his opinion and it isn't like we were outstanding last night.
The way Neville said it was half jokingly and he said that if we play like we played today, it would be like that. Completely different to just saying we're a pub team or something like that.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
The way Neville said it was half jokingly and he said that if we play like we played today, it would be like that. Completely different to just saying we're a pub team or something like that.
I heard that and I thought it was a bit OTT from Neville. Even if LvG censures Neville, he was pretty clear in what he said. It would be a non issue.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
except that Southampton is not really top tier and your performances were not that good.
they were 4th when we played them. Beat Sunderland 8-0. Have allowed lowest amount of goals in the seasons so far.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's a media-spin to cause unrest obviously but I can't understand why would anybody argue with what Neville said about yesterday's match. He was pretty much spot on and most of us thought the same while watching this garbage yesterday. In his post match comments LVG pretty much said the same thing Gary did.

He's right with that comparison as well, at the moment our match against Liverpool will look like a run of two injured dogs.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Chelsea OT 1 1
Arsenal away W 2 1
Southampton away W 2 1

Am I missing something?
Yep Southampton are not a top side plus against them & Arsenal we were fecking dreadful and that's putting it mildly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@ryansgirl If Red Nev was a coach he'd be totally different. Look how he mollycoddles England players despite the fact England are rancid most of the time. When it comes to England's 'stars' Neville is the most lenient pundit on TV. I've seen him make ridiculous excuses for players like Joe Hart. Yet, somehow, when it comes to Man Utd he gets quite severe. Its like he overcompensates to prove he's not got red tinted glasses.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
With all due respect towards LVG but no one, I repeat NO ONE (not even SAF) know what average is more then the Neville Brothers.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I know Neville has said there's nothing in it, but he wouldn't dare say what he said last night if Ferguson was still in charge, or Moyes given his brother was on the coaching staff.

Speedicut75

@ryansgirl If Red Nev was a coach he'd be totally different. Look how he mollycoddles England players despite the fact England are rancid most of the time. When it comes to England's 'stars' Neville is the most lenient pundit on TV. I've seen him make ridiculous excuses for players like Joe Hart. Yet, somehow, when it comes to Man Utd he gets quite severe. Its like he overcompensates to prove he's not got red tinted glasses.
Was thinking exactly the same thing: England's worst WC campaign and Red Nev chunters on about the necessity of time and patience in rebuilding the national team, whilst offering no such mitigation for Van Gaal's debut season at UTD.
Mind you, I have to agree with those who point out that the Mail will always seek out the polemic in these situations, and pretty much ignore the facetious manner in which his points were made.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Neville's Joe Hart love is a bit cringe-worthy.

Nev did a little informal interview with Noel Gallagher before the derby a few weeks ago, which was pretty good actually. He asked Noel who, out of the United team, would he take to City. Noel said "David De Gea", and Nev looked shellshocked and replied "Over Joe Hart? A player that I coach." He didn't seem to be in pundit-mode, and was very much speaking pro-United for the most part, but still got precious about Joe Hart.

I suppose Nev would take James Milner over Angel Di Maria as well then?

I do like Neville's analysis of the game overall, but his allegiance to certain players, primarily the English internationals, seems a bit skewed.

JackXX

I think you have to take into account "getting away with murder" could seem a stronger statement than what we recognise it as over here. I think he's just saying that Neville can say what he wants but needs to know what he's talking about. Which is fair I think. I thought LVG was very honest about how we played.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
There is nothing in this. I just watched the press conference. LVG just answers it diplomatically and honestly. He seemed a bit confused as to what the phrase meant and just kind of rambled that Neville needs to know what he is saying.

Oggmonster

Neville's Joe Hart love is a bit cringe-worthy.

Nev did a little informal interview with Noel Gallagher before the derby a few weeks ago, which was pretty good actually. He asked Noel who, out of the United team, would he take to City. Noel said "David De Gea", and Nev looked shellshocked and replied "Over Joe Hart? A player that I coach." He didn't seem to be in pundit-mode, and was very much speaking pro-United for the most part, but still got precious about Joe Hart.

I suppose Nev would take James Milner over Angel Di Maria as well then?

I do like Neville's analysis of the game overall, but his allegiance to certain players, primarily the English internationals, seems a bit skewed.

It's not like he suggested Neuer was worse than Hart. He is allowed an opinion. Just because it goes against the grain of what's expected of an ex United player. Maybe due to his role he will have a bit of favourtism towards Hart but is it really that shocking? He sees him train more (I'd guess) and works with him on a personal level therefore knows what he's like, for all we know Hart may be a brilliant trainer and Neville might like that and have a bit of bias towards him. He has no relationship with de Gea and only sees him in games. The majority of people on here play down Hart loads because of the imaginary rivalry with de Gea, the guy is a good keeper. He's made mistakes and got away with a few but then so do a lot of players. It's hardly the same as picking Milner over Di Maria. I'd imagine some United fans would show some faux-outrage if Neville picked Aguero over Rooney or Silva over Mata despite the 2 City players clearly being much better.

I don't think he has some huge allegiance towards certain players, he was critical of the penalty decision on Milner last night (and rightfully pointed out he's an England player to dismiss Carragher's accusation of bias, although he was joking) I just think he rates joe Hart, hardly an outrageous thing to do.

I find it funny how quickly people have turned against Neville. I don't think many will be happy til he comes on Monday Night Football in his United kit burning City scarves for 4 hours. He's paid to be a pundit and paid to say what he sees. He's been a pundit for 4 seasons now. In this season and last season he's been more critical of United. Hardly that weird considering we've been pretty shit in both of them. You can't judge him for slating United last night...most of this forum is doing it! Maybe he's more critical of United because he cares about them more. Carragher is similar with Liverpool I think. A lot of pundits are also overly critical of "their" team to not get accused of being bias, I guess they can't win.

My only complaint with MNF is it tries to be too technical at times but I'd take that over the drab MOTD pundits who pretty much just show a goal and tell you it's a goal.