LVG's Legacy/Foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSweeper

I remember some guy on this forum saying that England will start playing the way United will play. Looks like they are playing 3 at the back. He also said that England will win the world Cup :rolleyes:

nickm

I mean it's okay you don't see it. None of this is trying to convince anybody. The believers believe and see things to this day & probably will see things in the future. Just as much as Jose is likely to take us places & have his shortcomings - yet the next manager after him can utilize the strengths of what he will leave behind.

I just really want a thread where the fans who can see it - can have a place in this forum to talk about it.

Today we played 3 at the back - Rashford upfront lingard on the sides, Valencia & young as wing backs - almost resembling lvg's last season. That's without all the possession numbers that have continued to stay at the top of the league even with new recruitment.

I just don't really like this thread being about bashing the people who see traces of what LVG had taught the team - I would much rather they just go to the Jose forums and talk about how he has managed to teach them to play 343 in 2 matches or so.
I don't see Van Gaal's philosophy in the current side. And Jose himself has gone out of his way to say he does not play or intend to play Van Gaal's way. I don't see the same use of space or positioning. I don't see the same approach to passing. I might occasionally see similar formations but so what? It's how you play the formation that matters. The players LVG brought in specifically because they understood his system, either don't play at all (BFS) or don't play in the position he was brought in for (Blind, DM). If there is a legacy, it's a pretty thin one.

TheSweeper

@Moonred

Chelsea are obviously the team that got it going - doesn't hide the fact that LVG was the one who first tried it here at a big club even though it failed. On top of that - they have very few English players that can go on to play 352 or 343.

On the other hand you have United who have seemingly reverted back to 3 at the back with players like Rashford lingard smalling, Jones and probably more English youngsters to come.

I remember this guy who attributed s pains & Germanys success to Barcelona & bayern. Who knows - we are way far from any of the players reaching any of the peak but United have always dominated the English top 11 & if we continue to play 3 at the back in to the future this can only continue the transition.

Interesting times.

BTW the non believers should just probably leave this thread because ultimately it is an LVG thread & having every post being disregarded instead of being talked about an analyzed is pretty hard to deal with :(

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Chelsea are obviously the team that got it going - doesn't hide the fact that LVG was the one who first tried it here at a big club even though it failed. On top of that - they have very few English players that can go on to play 352 or 343.

On the other hand you have United who have seemingly reverted back to 3 at the back with players like Rashford lingard smalling, Jones and probably more English youngsters to come.

I remember this guy who attributed s pains & Germanys success to Barcelona & bayern. Who knows - we are way far from any of the players reaching any of the peak but United have always dominated the English top 11 & if we continue to play 3 at the back in to the future this can only continue the transition.

Interesting times.

BTW the non believers should just probably leave this thread because ultimately it is an LVG thread & having every post being disregarded instead of being talked about an analyzed is pretty hard to deal with :(
Don't be sad. I like your posts.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I may have misunderstood, but are you saying that LVG is responsible for Chelsea's success this season?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I may have misunderstood, but are you saying that LVG is responsible for Chelsea's success this season?
I don't think anyone would say anything so daft. Conte was playing almost the same system he's playing now, at Juve.

I think the poster was intimating (perhaps erroneously as it seemed to be based on a photo) that United have lots of English players that have played in a 3-4-3/5-3-2 system whereas Chelsea do not. That if Southgate follows the trend (if indeed it's a trend) there are players that could play that system.

Personally, I can't see England ever making a decent stab at a formation that the majority of our players don't play every week. Our players, coaches and manager are tactically naïve and even if they were not there's not enough time in an international window to teach anything new.

TheSweeper

Nope.

Chelsea are playing 343 due to Conte'amazing ability to play that system at Juventus & has successfully transfered that.

2 of the 3 most in form teams in the PL are playing 3 at the back. One being us.

That's what I am saying. You will obviously assume that Jose is playing 3 at the back because he is the mastermind who suddenly bought it to United but what I am saying is that there has been some sort of practice in that system as shown by hard historical fact.

Again 2 of the 3 most inform teams are playing 3 at the back & now England decide to play 3 at the back.

If United continue to do this - they can only get better likewise with Chelsea & therefore this would improve England's ability to play this system too.

Stacks

Nope.

Chelsea are playing 343 due to Conte'amazing ability to play that system at Juventus & has successfully transfered that.

2 of the 3 most in form teams in the PL are playing 3 at the back. One being us.

That's what I am saying. You will obviously assume that Jose is playing 3 at the back because he is the mastermind who suddenly bought it to United but what I am saying is that there has been some sort of practice in that system as shown by hard historical fact.

Again 2 of the 3 most inform teams are playing 3 at the back & now England decide to play 3 at the back.

If United continue to do this - they can only get better likewise with Chelsea & therefore this would improve England's ability to play this system too.
We have only just started playing 3 at the back. our form stretches back to playing 4 at the back lol. you are wumming and I don't buy it.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I just don't really like this thread being about bashing the people who see traces of what LVG had taught the team - I would much rather they just go to the Jose forums and talk about how he has managed to teach them to play 343 in 2 matches or so.
You would have a point if it wasn't for the fact that most of LVGs signings have since moved on (Moyes' signings are currently doing very well, by the way) and Mourinho has been undoing all of the crap that LVG instilled into the team. He even got rid of the fecking training ground cameras.

Thankfully it won't be long before most traces of LVG are gone.

TheSweeper

You would have a point if it wasn't for the fact that most of LVGs signings have since moved on (Moyes' signings are currently doing very well, by the way) and Mourinho has been undoing all of the crap that LVG instilled into the team. He even got rid of the fecking training ground cameras.

Thankfully it won't be long before most traces of LVG are gone.
Again I have said this all the time LVG is a poor manager with ridiculous purchases proved at all his clubs. For every rpbben there is a riquelme for every martial there is a Memphis.

Poor manager or not I personally believe he knows what he is talking about yet he is an abysmal manager to put that in to practice.

Neither matter as long as our club is on the top - that's why I just wish we could have a thread for who that believe believe that LVG has left atleast 10% of positives things we can take forward from.

However all I get is - that the guy was a complete and utter garbage and everything and absolutely everything must be cleaned and wiped so we start again from the beginning. That is simply not true - even in your case where you argue most of the players have left - there are some that are left behind. Therefore in the same manner - you cannot say there were no positives.

And then you have this guy who calls me a wum..

We have only just started playing 3 at the back. our form stretches back to playing 4 at the back lol. you are wumming and I don't buy it.
I didn't say the the 3 at the back gave us good form - I said two of the 3 most in form teams are now playing 3 at the back.

Why am I a wum exactly?

Like I'm the only guy or even player who has said some transcending positives about LVG's tenures at different clubs.

What is the point of calling me a Wum? Am I hurting you to have to make a post like that every single time anyone says anything about LVG.

You have people like me who possibly exaggerate what LVG has done to make a point & then you have people like you who will completely pretend that nothing happened in those 2 years to make your point.

Balance is in between.

Drz

Interesting times.

Didn't Mancini try at the back as well at some point, before City became defensively sound in his 3rd season?

TheSweeper

Didn't Mancini try at the back as well at some point, before City became defensively sound in his 3rd season?
They have had plenty of managers since then who hasn't touched the back 3 since. Jose has directly after his predecessor. But if it is right - it is right.

Sensei

Supports
Dortmund
Nope.

Do you presuppose our 3 at the back is ah-mazing?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Again I have said this all the time LVG is a poor manager with ridiculous purchases proved at all his clubs. For every rpbben there is a riquelme for every martial there is a Memphis.

Poor manager or not I personally believe he knows what he is talking about yet he is an abysmal manager to put that in to practice.

Neither matter as long as our club is on the top - that's why I just wish we could have a thread for who that believe believe that LVG has left atleast 10% of positives things we can take forward from.

However all I get is - that the guy was a complete and utter garbage and everything and absolutely everything must be cleaned and wiped so we start again from the beginning. That is simply not true - even in your case where you argue most of the players have left - there are some that are left behind. Therefore in the same manner - you cannot say there were no positives.

I didn't say the the 3 at the back gave us good form - I said two of the 3 most in form teams are now playing 3 at the back.

Why am I a wum exactly?

Like I'm the only guy or even player who has said some transcending positives about LVG's tenures at different clubs.

What is the point of calling me a Wum? Am I hurting you to have to make a post like that every single time anyone says anything about LVG.

You have people like me who possibly exaggerate what LVG has done to make a point & then you have people like you who will completely pretend that nothing happened in those 2 years to make your point.

Balance is in between.
I certainly wouldn't say you're a wum, though I wouldn't be so sure about others on here, but that's by the by.

That's the whole point. I don't think you could attribute even 10% positives from what LVG brought to the club. And sorry but he WAS complete and utter garbage. He was sapping the life out of the fans with his tumescent football, the worst I've experienced following United. If we're talking about players left then even the lowly David Moyes has a better record than van Gaal and don't forget he got us further in the Champions League too but nobody here will even give him a sniff and rightly so.

Are you going to attribute any positives to David Moyes' reign in the considerably shorter time that he was here?? The only thing I will credit van Gaal with is the FA Cup, but not even that was enough to save him....the football was that bad!

The problem with this thread is that while people acknowledge some of the good he did DURING his time, the assertion that he has left some sort of legacy is what is sticking in the throat. Especially as Mourinho is rapidly erasing all traces of the famous 'philosophy'. Next season, that will be even more so the case.

TheSweeper

I certainly wouldn't say you're a wum, though I wouldn't be so sure about others on here, but that's by the by.

That's the whole point. I don't think you could attribute even 10% positives from what LVG brought to the club. And sorry but he WAS complete and utter garbage. He was sapping the life out of the fans with his tumescent football, the worst I've experienced following United. If we're talking about players left then even the lowly David Moyes has a better record than van Gaal and don't forget he got us further in the Champions League too but nobody here will even give him a sniff and rightly so.

Are you going to attribute any positives to David Moyes' reign in the considerably shorter time that he was here?? The only thing I will credit van Gaal with is the FA Cup, but not even that was enough to save him....the football was that bad!

The problem with this thread is that while people acknowledge some of the good he did DURING his time, the assertion that he has left some sort of legacy is what is sticking in the throat. Especially as Mourinho is rapidly erasing all traces of the famous 'philosophy'. Next season, that will be even more so the case.
Okay that's your opinion. The Suckling the life out of the fans for me was like watching a kid trying to ride a bike. Again as repetitive as it is - the reason why Barcelona & Bayern are the biggest clubs in the world and are relatively undisputed is because of the clubs ability to play to tactics and adapt to different tactics of different managers.

What LVG did was focus so heavily on tactics that is sucked any sort of magic and freedom out of the football we saw.

In my opinion - the emphasis on tactics & the re-establishing of the freedom (the LVG hangover coming to an end) will give us the best of both worlds.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Love the hate he and his fans get :D they look at us and see that we are all deluded.

However - we have told them that the future is set in stone while they come up with nothing and laugh at us.

It is all good - we are all supporters and arguably the people in the football community that know the least about football itself.

People comparing LVG to moyes :lol: have you even seen that great players talk about LVG's influence as well as his severe short comings?

No no, the guy has done nothing for the clubs he has managed yet his CV rolls from one big club to another!

Supporters are just two pair of eyes that see what is layed right in front of them. :angel:
Robben declared LVG the catalyst for the era of success Bayern have enjoyed; a world class player who's actually been part of it, under 4 managers. But a few fanboys on an Internet forum can dismiss his impact on great clubs and great player's careers, so he must be a donkey.....

There's little difference between the football this and last season IMO, and the recent lack of losses is misleading; Mourinho's had a good run in the past few months against cannon fodder.

It was clearly a work in progress under Louis; the foundations were laid for Martial and Rashford to grow with faith and patience, and no doubt Shaw would have been treated better. The excitement those three in full flow would have neutralised any aesthetic negativity of the rigid structure that was clearly implemented as phase one of the project.

Smalling and Blind were the best defensive pairing in the league, Valencia was being transformed into the best rightback in the league (something people bizarrely accredit Jose with) and the raft of young players integrated added an element of United authenticity to proceedings.

Chelsea lost De Bruyne, Lukaku, Mata, Bertrand and Luiz because of Mourinho's inability to manage talent properly, all players who'd improve their current team; if United aren't careful, Martial, Shaw and perhaps even Rashford could become their very own ones that got away because the club gave the most mercenary of modern managers too much power over club matters.

The right thing to do would have been to allow him to see out his contract, offer him a Director of Football role and hire Frank De Boer to continue his work.

Web of Bissaka

Don't be sad. I like your posts.
:lol:

....Interesting times.

Same. I like your posts, even though I can't agree with many points, still find it interesting anyway, just as I appreciates the other opposing posts.

This. Calling it a "legacy" or LVG leaving a "foundations" are too far'fetched, too honorably, and doesn't sound right. It's true there are players he have to forcefully "left" behind unintentionally, some players are good, while many are not needed, or/and not good enough for the club, and if we still insist on it, then yes, he too did leave weak foundations for the club to build on.

Admittedly, yes, I acknowledged and appreciated the few positives, good things he brought to the club, specifically the few players he bought (Rojo, Blind, Romero, Herrera, Martial), breaking the FA cup curse, and youth promotions (Lingard, Rashford, TFM, CBJ). At least, he did a lil' better than Moyes.

Despite that, personally, I'm glad his reign ended, for the damaging things he did to the club, turning Manchester United into that ugly mediocre squad.:annoyed: Thankfully it's over, and Mourinho now is the right manager, fixing and turning the club back towards becoming Champion.

The onus is on Mourinho though for nurturing the many talents, especially the young players:lol:so much expectations, well that's Manchester United manager.

TheSweeper

Robben declared LVG the catalyst for the era of success Bayern have enjoyed; a world class player who's actually been part of it, under 4 managers. But a few fanboys on an Internet forum can dismiss his impact on great clubs and great player's careers, so he must be a donkey.....

There's little difference between the football this and last season IMO, and the recent lack of losses is misleading; Mourinho's had a good run in the past few months against cannon fodder.

It was clearly a work in progress under Louis; the foundations were laid for Martial and Rashford to grow with faith and patience, and no doubt Shaw would have been treated better. The excitement those three in full flow would have neutralised any aesthetic negativity of the rigid structure that was clearly implemented as phase one of the project.

Smalling and Blind were the best defensive pairing in the league, Valencia was being transformed into the best rightback in the league (something people bizarrely accredit Jose with) and the raft of young players integrated added an element of United authenticity to proceedings.

Chelsea lost De Bruyne, Lukaku, Mata, Bertrand and Luiz because of Mourinho's inability to manage talent properly, all players who'd improve their current team; if United aren't careful, Martial, Shaw and perhaps even Rashford could become their very own ones that got away because the club gave the most mercenary of modern managers too much power over club matters.

The right thing to do would have been to allow him to see out his contract, offer him a Director of Football role and hire Frank De Boer to continue his work.
The best example is Xavi who came up with praise as well as a negative feeling for van gaal.

He said that van gaal was a manager 10 years ahead of his time - & we all know what happened to Barcelona then.

He then also says that Van Gaal humiliated him and tried to Van Gaalise Barcelona which is clearly a negative & something you could start to see here at United.

Just 2 or 3 posts back a fan was talking about how Jose has removed the training camera's at our grounds. Again very easy to see the negatives (fans talk about Suckling the life blood out of the team) but their mind wouldn't even fathom an element of praise for the manager who ensured that the club has a strict element of hard work.

Again, we go on to the football pitch. We saw slow tumescent football. A negative; but people will completely negate the fact that he implemented a high importance in player positioning down to all 11 players.

If in this day and age you can praise Ibrahimovic for greatly adding some leadership back in to the team; then ultimately a few players who are capable of playing in position & playing possessive football will still transcend this ability to others?

Ultimately There is a reason I talk about Barcelona, Bayern and now United because ultimately we are clubs of the same grandiose ilk.

Majority of the time we have been bombarded with success due to our hard work. When success is not there it is easy to undermine any hard work whatsoever.

Watch this space - I wouldn't go out of myself even on the Internet to make my self look like a fool. Even as the 'biggest club in the world'; we have always had a significant area to improve on especially in Europe.

This will happen. Will that be down to LVG? No.

It will be due to the hard working tactical mentality of the whole club that we first started seeing signs in during LVG's tenure.

Stacks

Why am I a wum exactly?

Balance is in between.
Yes it does hurt me a bit

Denis79

Interesting times.

Before I start writing I just have to say that this is my opinion based on watching most games during both LvG and Mou and not an attempt to argue with you. I do not see the connection between Mou's 3-4-3 and LvG's 3-5-2 just because LvG used a 3 man backline wont earn him credit for what other managers achieve in my opinion. A formation means nothing without finer tuning, how high to press, movement off the ball, play long balls or tiki taka etc etc, the list can go on and on for pages.

The type of football we played with a 3 man back-line under Mourinho resembles nothing with LvG's except that it wasn't our best football played. We apply pressure a good 20 meters higher up than under LvG, our wingbacks seek deeper positions, we have movement behind the lines and players switch positions to strech opposition defence we had nothing of this during LvG. Just because he slapped a 3 man backline which was just 1 of 10 different tactics he tried and failed wont make him the mastermind behind our success IF Mourinho wins trophies using 3 men at the back.

LvG might have done great things at other clubs in his past but unfortunetally for us he failed pretty bad at us, worst thing in my opinion was the terrible football we played with him in charge.

Oh god no!

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I guess a little thank you is in place.

People will always have different opinions but looking at the track record and what we already knew in terms of foundations for every club he's been managing it speaks for itself.

Blind, Romero, Martial, Rashford, Darmian, Herrera - all his signings and all playing a part in this title. Not bad influence on a team for a guy who left over a year ago.

And not to forget - congratulations to everyone! We're the champions of europe!!!

lem8sh

People will always have different opinions but looking at the track record and what we already knew in terms of foundations for every club he's been managing it speaks for itself.

Blind, Romero, Martial, Rashford, Darmian, Herrera - all his signings and all playing a part in this title. Not bad influence on a team for a guy who left over a year ago.

And not to forget - congratulations to everyone! We're the champions of europe!!!
feck off you WUM

SirScholes

As nothing to do with him at all, well done Jose for making the most of the disaster lvg left

wolvored

WTF its a great night for Mourinho and you bring this clown up!

PepsiCola

Umm

spwd

Feck off!

Home&Away

Some people just won't get it. Jose will take us forward and get us right to the top. Lvg made us face the right decision.

3 clubs he has managed all went to do great things - ours is around the corner.

Only reason he was hired was he can do what some football fans just simply don't see. Science to some can just be confusing isn't it @Successful

Womp

idiot

Bit odd considering Jose has spoken all season about knocking down everything Van Gaal drilled into the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.