LVG's Legacy/Foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I know this is pretty early on and it's only in the coming years we will see the results and perhaps 6-7 years on that we can see the purpose of the philosophy/process.

Perhaps this thread will be something we can come back to and fill in our recognitions.

Looking through some of the signings that are still around we might get a clearer picture of his intentions.

Signings

Memphis Depay
Regan Pool
Matteo Darmian :mad:
Ander Herrera
Marcus Rojo :mad:
Daley Blind
Anthony Martial
Luke Shaw
Morgan Schneiderlin
Sergio Romero
Timothy Fosu-Mensah.
Sebastian Schweinsteiger

Promotions:
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson
Tyler Blackett
Marcus Rashford
Jesse Lingard
Anderas Pereira
Joe Riley
James Wier

To me this looks like great foundations for a top manager to put that perfection on. Any predictions and guesses for the coming 5 years?

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Prediction:

From the signings, only Martial and Shaw will still be here in 3 years time. Will be said that Shaw doesn't count as he was a club signing which was approved by LVG.
From promotions only Rashford and maybe Fosu-Mensah will be in 3 years time.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Weren't Herrera and Shaw done prior to LVG's arrival? As in he just said 'okay' and that was it? And wasn't Lingard with us on a pre-season tour during Moyes tenure?

Successful

Weren't Herrera and Shaw done prior to LVG's arrival? As in he just said 'okay' and that was it? And wasn't Lingard with us on a pre-season tour during Moyes tenure?
I don't know. He approved the transfer then at least. Let's credit him the players since he's been working with them more than anyone else. Can't have a non manager signing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
One other thing that i feel is worth mentioning is that while LVGs football was mind numbing and his tactics were pretty aweful he did help to improve the players passing and ball retention. For Mourinho we will of course be expected to play a much faster tempo and play more killer balls, but I also feel that it's beneficial that the players are able to control a game if it's called upon. Certain players may have benefited from this more than others but I think those tactics do provide a fantastic base for a more offensive style because in sustained times of attack you need to be able to recycle possession effectively. If we can combine what Mourinho wants and what LVG installed then we will be a very entertaining team.

MoskvaRed

One other thing that i feel is worth mentioning is that while LVGs football was mind numbing and his tactics were pretty aweful he did help to improve the players passing and ball retention. For Mourinho we will of course be expected to play a much faster tempo and play more killer balls, but I also feel that it's beneficial that the players are able to control a game if it's called upon. Certain players may have benefited from this more than others but I think those tactics do provide a fantastic base for a more offensive style because in sustained times of attack you need to be able to recycle possession effectively. If we can combine what Mourinho wants and what LVG installed then we will be a very entertaining team.
Our possession/ball retention only worked when teams sat back. When we genuinely needed possession to hold onto a lead or take the sting out of a game (e.g. Wolfsburg or Liverpool away in Europe, West Ham at the end of the season), we fell apart when put under pressure. I fully agree with @Damien as to the likely strike rate of LVG's signings and promotions from the youth team.

prath92

Why is Poole listed as a signing? Wasn't he signed for the reserves?

prath92

Our possession/ball retention only worked when teams sat back. When we genuinely needed possession to hold onto a lead or take the sting out of a game (e.g. Wolfsburg or Liverpool away in Europe, West Ham at the end of the season), we fell apart when put under pressure. I fully agree with @Damien as to the likely strike rate of LVG's signings and promotions from the youth team.
I think what he is talking about is that while we couldn't master possession football, it surely improved the ability to pass in some of youngsters like martial Shaw lingard and all

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeh I don't disagree but I still expect that in a lot of games we will be on the attack and the opposition will sit deep, in those games its useful that our players are both comfortable keeping the ball rotated in possession while also being able to be more offensive to play a killer ball to create more goals. I know there's a lot of people on this forum that curse the ground LVG walks on but he has left the squad in good shape and I think he will be looked back on as a good transition manager.

RedElf

LVG's legacy is that he culled the squad to its bare bones and won the FA cup. Between starting and getting sacked he bored me to tears.

Segment

Ander and Luke can possibly count as Moyes' signings since the groundwork was done whilst he was in charge. LvG also vetoed the signing of Kroos, who Moyes' was chasing for a few months.

edcunited1878

FA Cup winner. Hasn't said anything negative about United during or after leaving. He genuinely liked the club. He could have easily folded in December, but his players continued to play, gave themselves a chance (somehow) to get a CL spot and won a major trophy. And he handled DDG's situation very, very well - something he should get more recognition towards, but never will.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
LVG laid absolutely NO foundations and definately left NO legacy.

Terrible manager who should be forgot about.

Successful

Terrible manager who should be forgot about.
Well aren't you a spoilt little ungrateful feck who can't see beyond a failure. SAF would never have proceed his mission on today's terms with fans like you that we're stuck with. LVG laid foundations to some of the best team in the world in recent times - even greater than SAF's work. All this while you were learning your abc in school - not that you learned anything! !!!

fellaini's barber

I thought his foundations kicked in after 5 years or so,making us into one super team
EDIT: Just read the OP, so people actually believed that shit?

MoskvaRed

Well aren't you a spoilt little ungrateful feck who can't see beyond a failure. SAF would never have proceed his mission on today's terms with fans like you that we're stuck with. LVG laid foundations to some of the best team in the world in recent times - even greater than SAF's work. All this while you were learning your abc in school - not that you learned anything! !!!
Christ, we're back to the foundation myth. SAF led Aberdeen to a European trophy, which on its own outclasses anything LVG ever achieved. He then rebuilt United after 20 years of decline into the dominant team in England and one of the best in Europe. After his Ajax breakout, LVG didn't really achieve very much considering he managed Barcelona, Bayern and The Netherlands. He peaked in his early 40s.

devips

Though LVG's United bored me to tears in most matches (barring almost all top 6 matches where we played superbly), he certainly left some positives as his legacy.

Actually, with some luck, and bizarre number of injuries in the latter part of last season, he could have managed top 3, along with FA Cup, and thus retain his job for the final year.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Transfer wise - not too bad, but we were never going to be world beaters under him because he didn't have the Jose type effect to get the top tier players we really needed, but bringing in high potential players like Martial and Depay was a good thing. Not all his transfers have worked out but they rarely do.
Bastian signing was obviously a desperate attempt at a 'big' signing but didn't do any harm.

I should mention though that all the positives about his reign (apart from the FA Cup) are because Jose is now here. If we didn't get a top manager for this season and missed out on Jose then there would be nothing to look back on with any positivity. Jose can take what little LVG left and do something decent with it.
I still don't class that as 'laying foundations' though.

Croftona7

We were terrible under Moyes but I'd choose to watch his United over Van Gaals United any day of the week, Mourinho has already said in the most respectful way he could, that getting the team to play the way he wants them to would be easier if he was starting from scratch compared to having to try and un-van gaal everyone as is the case now.

That says it all, he's just left a mess and nothing else.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Foundations? Nothing but setback after setback.

Moyes was like a car crash. It just crashed and we knew it was done while LVG just placed us in quick sand slowly sinking us.

Fully Fledged

LVG was awful at United at least as bad as Moyes. It's best to forget he was here at all not trying to make something out of his connection to the players who shined in spite of him, not because of him.
The only legacy we got out of LVG was a different manager who might make us successful.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
One of the worst managers in the PL ever. Handed an unlimited budget at Manchester United with no upstairs interference and struggles to get a shot on target in most games.

I'm glad his pseudo-intellectual philosophy has fecked off to Portugal. fecking Dutch cnut.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

:lol: Go take a chill pill.

He was an awful manager for us and put us back years despite spending hundreds of millions as I said he laid NO foundations and left absolutely NO legacy it's not even up for debate

Mourinho (a superior manager I every way) has done more in a couple of months than LVG managed in 2 years.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He tried to lay the foundations, however, those foundations were pretty rotten (boring football which targeted 4th place).
Jose is currently tearing them up and laying down new foundations.

The myth that LVG turns up at a club, lays down foundations, then leaves so another manager can reap the rewards, success and trophies, is laughable.

San Diego Red

Anthony Martial and Blind, everything else was either a club signing or permitted because of injuries to our first team (Rashford), other then that most have been complete flops or aren't United standard.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Handed an unlimited budget at Manchester United with no upstairs interference and struggles to get a shot on target in most games.
...and despite his poor results and unlimited budget, his defenders still say that he did a decent job.
With an unlimited budget, LVG was saying that 4th place is realistically the best we can achieve and that fans need to lower their expectations.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Martial was obviously a great signing, albeit it for an incredible fee. But it's awkward to praise him too much as he'd left us with Rooney and nothing else until this signing.

Shaw and Herrera were almost done deals anyway.

Blind was a good understated signing.

And erm, thanks for putting his "faith" in Rashford/ Rooney/Martial/Wilson/Keane weren't available!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I know this is pretty early on and it's only in the coming years we will see the results and perhaps 6-7 years on that we can see the purpose of the philosophy/process.

Perhaps this thread will be something we can come back to and fill in our recognitions.

Looking through some of the signings that are still around we might get a clearer picture of his intentions.

Signings

Memphis Depay
Regan Pool
Matteo Darmian :mad:
Ander Herrera
Marcus Rojo :mad:
Daley Blind
Anthony Martial
Luke Shaw
Morgan Schneiderlin
Sergio Romero
Timothy Fosu-Mensah.
Sebastian Schweinsteiger

Promotions:
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson
Tyler Blackett
Marcus Rashford
Jesse Lingard
Anderas Pereira
Joe Riley
James Wier

To me this looks like great foundations for a top manager to put that perfection on. Any predictions and guesses for the coming 5 years?
Its not really a foundation if Mourinho comes in and creates his own foundation. LvG did manage to promote youth players which probably expedited their fate when Mourinho rolled in. Only Rashford and possibly TFM are sticking around.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Leave LVG alone!!!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'm very surprised that Kinder egg and his posse of LVG loving bandits haven't ridden into this thread yet.

EyeInTheSky

:lol: Go take a chill pill.

He was an awful manager for us and put us back years despite spending hundreds of millions as I said he laid NO foundations and left absolutely NO legacy it's not even up for debate

Mourinho (a superior manager I every way) has done more in a couple of months than LVG managed in 2 years.
"Greater than SAF work"

This guy is a WUM genius for certain because to believe otherwise would mean he has insulted everything this club stands for.

Status
Not open for further replies.