LVG's Legacy/Foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
FA Cup winner. Hasn't said anything negative about United during or after leaving. He genuinely liked the club. He could have easily folded in December, but his players continued to play, gave themselves a chance (somehow) to get a CL spot and won a major trophy. And he handled DDG's situation very, very well - something he should get more recognition towards, but never will.

In what way? I don't buy that for a second

if it wasn't for a dodgy (but hilarious) spanish fax machine de gea would be a Real Madrid player right now. LVG all but give up in regards to De Gea leaving and let him go.

its a damn miracle he's still playing at United

EyeInTheSky

FA Cup winner. Hasn't said anything negative about United during or after leaving. He genuinely liked the club. He could have easily folded in December, but his players continued to play, gave themselves a chance (somehow) to get a CL spot and won a major trophy. And he handled DDG's situation very, very well - something he should get more recognition towards, but never will.
I would like the club too if I got a fat payout after being abject.

hbgreg

Only adding 4 players to a squad and being good enough to mount a title challenge means a very good foundation was left.

Thank you LvG, enjoy your retirement. One of the best managers ever.

Stacks

One other thing that i feel is worth mentioning is that while LVGs football was mind numbing and his tactics were pretty aweful he did help to improve the players passing and ball retention. For Mourinho we will of course be expected to play a much faster tempo and play more killer balls, but I also feel that it's beneficial that the players are able to control a game if it's called upon. Certain players may have benefited from this more than others but I think those tactics do provide a fantastic base for a more offensive style because in sustained times of attack you need to be able to recycle possession effectively. If we can combine what Mourinho wants and what LVG installed then we will be a very entertaining team.
Christ, we're back to the foundation myth. SAF led Aberdeen to a European trophy, which on its own outclasses anything LVG ever achieved. He then rebuilt United after 20 years of decline into the dominant team in England and one of the best in Europe. After his Ajax breakout, LVG didn't really achieve very much considering he managed Barcelona, Bayern and The Netherlands. He peaked in his early 40s.
2 wins in and it starts :lol:. It didn't even take a league title for the foundations myth to resurface. Jose admitted he has instructed his players to unlearn LVG methodology as they are vastly different. I believe Densel Washington put it best in training day, "unlearn all that bullshit you learned in the academy. shit'll get you killed in these streets." People were able to get away with the foundations heist at Bayern with Pep but under Jose, we will play a different way altogether from the Peps of this world and other possession obsessed coaches. LVG should release his own brand of make up; 'Possession,' the new foundation from Louis Van Gaal. "It'll cover up your defensive imperfections." Please can we just let go of the LVG era and put it out of sight and out of mind. It was a rebound relationship that went on too long and we may have found our worldy.

Denis79

Unfortunelly LVG never managed to win me over. Football we played was poor, slow and boring under his reign. If he left anything worth calling a legacy I hope we hold on to nothing of it This is just my opinion not stating any facts and everyone has a right to their opinion / say thats why we are here on this forum but dear god he made our football a sleeping pill.

Seveneric

While I'm not a 100% sure the OP is serious, I'm pretty sure there are people who think like that, just not sure where they've gone as they seemed to be a fair amount of them when LVG was here.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
2 wins in and it starts :lol:. It didn't even take a league title for the foundations myth to resurface. Jose admitted he has instructed his players to unlearn LVG methodology as they are vastly different. I believe Densel Washington put it best in training day, "unlearn all that bullshit you learned in the academy. shit'll get you killed in these streets." People were able to get away with the foundations heist at Bayern with Pep but under Jose, we will play a different way altogether from the Peps of this world and other possession obsessed coaches. LVG should release his own brand of make up; 'Possession,' the new foundation from Louis Van Gaal. "It'll cover up your defensive imperfections." Please can we just let go of the LVG era and put it out of sight and out of mind. It was a rebound relationship that went on too long and we may have found our worldy.
At least read my post before quoting me into a stupid post based around nothing but blind bias against van Gaal.

acnumber9

I'm very surprised that Kinder egg and his posse of LVG loving bandits haven't ridden into this thread yet.
Some probably left because they were never Manchester United fans to begin with.

Friction

Personally, I don't feel he was here long enough to leave a legacy behind, but the foundation he left is mostly having to be torn up and rebuilt by JM. In my opinion, LVG had our players scared to go forward, scared to make a single mistake, scared to play a more free-flowing, attacking style of football. JM is having to reaffirm and reassure them that it's okay to make mistakes as long as you are constantly learning and improving from them. He is having to re-teach them that you are allowed to pass the ball forward on the ground, instead of sideways, backwards, or punted 50 yards forward to Fellaini. :lol: Also, I don't believe many of his signings will be around in 3-5 years. Shaw and Martial are probably the only "sure" bets there. I think TFM loves this club enough to possibly be a 1 senior club type of guy. He has forsaken international duty to focus on club duties. At his age, to ignore an international call up, that's a big statement!

As for the youth squad, I am grateful that he gave some players a chance. In turn, he also really screwed up Andreas Pereira's (my favorite youth squad player) and possibly Adnan's progression. Two years in a row he told Andreas that he was going to be used in the squad and therefore couldn't be loaned, and he wasn't used hardly at all. As for Adnan, he was loaned to a team that didn't even need him in the squad (Hence why JM was cracking some sniper shots at LVG for that). For the most part, I believe that those in the youth squad with the quality to earn first team debuts will earn a debut regardless of the manager, those on the borderline will probably be loaned out, and the others will be shipped on. While LVG might have had a slightly better track record at promoting youth than JM, I believe that quite a few of our lads would have earned debuts this year under JM if they hadn't already under LVG.

All in all, I'm glad he's gone, and things are already looking SO much better with JM at the helm. (This is coming from someone who despised JM in the past)

normalone

Louis Van Gaal is one of the great managers of the modern era as much as it pains certain people to admit. I honestly doubt there are many if any managers that would have taken over after the mess that Moyes left us in and done a better job. He got rid of countless deadwood and drastically reduced the average age of the squad. He structured the squad so that the youngsters would get a chance and we now have three academy (rashford, lingard, TFM) players in the first team as a result

He was in a no win situation with us fans and what I believe were unrealistic expectations given the talent at his disposal. He had the fecking likes of McMare and Blackett and somehow managed to keep us in the top 4-5. As a poster above rightly mentioned, if someone can come along and only add 4 players and create a side capable of competing for the title then be definition the predecessor left behind solid foundations.

I am not saying he should have stayed and bringing in Jose was the right decision for us to move forward. However I'm one of the few who respects LVGs thankless work and wish him a happy retirement

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
LVG laid absolutely NO foundations and definately left NO legacy.

Terrible manager who should be forgot about.
This. The guy didn't have a clue. He probably didn't even know who Shaw was before he came.

Stacks

Louis Van Gaal is one of the great managers of the modern era as much as it pains certain people to admit. I honestly doubt there are many if any managers that would have taken over after the mess that Moyes left us in and done a better job. He got rid of countless deadwood and drastically reduced the average age of the squad. He structured the squad so that the youngsters would get a chance and we now have three academy (rashford, lingard, TFM) players in the first team as a result

He was in a no win situation with us fans and what I believe were unrealistic expectations given the talent at his disposal. He had the fecking likes of McMare and Blackett and somehow managed to keep us in the top 4-5. As a poster above rightly mentioned, if someone can come along and only add 4 players and create a side capable of competing for the title then be definition the predecessor left behind solid foundations.

I am not saying he should have stayed and bringing in Jose was the right decision for us to move forward. However I'm one of the few who respects LVGs thankless work and wish him a happy retirement
Or he just had decent players at his disposal and underachieved as Leicester did win the league and all that.

Perrick Dubois

I've actually been wanting to start a thread similar about LVG's disappearance. How he has been completely gagged about United. I think what one user said about him being forcefully gagged by the club is true. I don't want to rabbit on about him because personally I don't see a single thing he could have left behind that would be beneficial. I will repeat that I think through this season and the next that people will come to realize very quickly just how poor his methods were and how much worse it was made that England is a unique league that is not conducive to overly technical football.

I still think there is a lot of dirty laundry that could be aired about LVG. It seemed to me the players knew he was an absolute loon and were taking the piss for a couple of seasons like school kids.

prath92

We were terrible under Moyes but I'd choose to watch his United over Van Gaals United any day of the week, Mourinho has already said in the most respectful way he could, that getting the team to play the way he wants them to would be easier if he was starting from scratch compared to having to try and un-van gaal everyone as is the case now.

That says it all, he's just left a mess and nothing else.
So you mean to say you prefer us getting thrashed by city and the likes as opposed to the vice versa ?

izec

We were terrible under Moyes but I'd choose to watch his United over Van Gaals United any day of the week, Mourinho has already said in the most respectful way he could, that getting the team to play the way he wants them to would be easier if he was starting from scratch compared to having to try and un-van gaal everyone as is the case now.

That says it all, he's just left a mess and nothing else.
For Pep it would have ben helpful what LvG did, but Jose obviously has a total different approach. You dont know which manager will follow your previous one once you appoint a manager.

Well aren't you a spoilt little ungrateful feck who can't see beyond a failure. SAF would never have proceed his mission on today's terms with fans like you that we're stuck with. LVG laid foundations to some of the best team in the world in recent times - even greater than SAF's work. All this while you were learning your abc in school - not that you learned anything! !!!
:lol:

Perrick Dubois

Well aren't you a spoilt little ungrateful feck who can't see beyond a failure. SAF would never have proceed his mission on today's terms with fans like you that we're stuck with. LVG laid foundations to some of the best team in the world in recent times - even greater than SAF's work. All this while you were learning your abc in school - not that you learned anything! !!!
Yikes, what? I think United hour should bring back rant of the week again.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If he had got his way we would have swapped Smalling for Vermaelen, sold De Gea, bought Ighalo for £38M instead of Ibra, Rooney would be in midfield and we'd probably have lined up this season something like this:

Romero
Valencia--Vermaelen--Blind--Shaw
Rooney--Carrick
Lingard------Fellaini--------Martial
Ighalo​

Eddy_JukeZ

If he had got his way we would have swapped Smalling for Vermaelen, sold De Gea, bought Ighalo for £38M instead of Ibra, Rooney would be in midfield and we'd probably have lined up this season something like this:

Romero
Rooney--Carrick
Ighalo​
Whew, bullet dodged. That's a terrible team.

Signings

Memphis Depay
Regan Pool
Matteo Darmian :mad:
Ander Herrera
Marcus Rojo :mad:
Daley Blind
Anthony Martial
Luke Shaw
Morgan Schneiderlin
Sergio Romero
Timothy Fosu-Mensah.
Sebastian Schweinsteiger

Promotions:
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson
Tyler Blackett
Marcus Rashford
Jesse Lingard
Anderas Pereira
Joe Riley
James Wier
Probably a pointless thread to reply on but almost all of those players have every chance of making it here.

Who LVG got rid of is probably more telling. He cleared out the deadwood from the tail end of SAF' s reign, and carried out the thankless task of turning us into a new club free from the shackles of just being Fergie's old team. Moyes should have done that but didnt.

It's pretty certain every player learned under him even though he couldn't make the whole picture work.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is van gaal the only manager in football history who is credited with laying foundations for future success? Don't think he deserves any by the way, I'm more inclined to give the manager who achieves the success the credit, not a predecessor.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
He never managed bring over his vision to the players and had us play ineffective and boring football that nobody could enjoy. All that despite being allowed to spend crazy amounts of money in the transfermarkt and most of his signings turned out to be failed signings (Di Maria being the biggest one but also let us not forget Falcao and how very poor Depay has been for us).

He only brought through young players because he was forced to do so because of injurry, not because of visionary choice, he literally could not do anything else but play these youngsters because else he had no players for the first squad. He just got very lucky alot of them turned out to be very good youngsters. I will also not forget about him completely misshandling Januzaj and Pereira's situation (two of our biggest talents).

The first thing Mourinho has been doing since he is the coach is getting rid of LVG's influence and methodolgies. So I really don't get why he gets credited for laying foundations.

The things he did well were winning the Fa cup (altough it remains a small feat if you look at the opposition we had to beat) and signing Shaw and Martial but he also spend a small fortune to get them. Overall he will be remebered as the coach that brought the most broing football we have seen in a very long time and failed to realise his targets in the league and in the CL. I don't think he has much of a legacy that is worth remembering.

I will be crediting Mourinho for the success he gets which will mainly come from his signings of Pogba and Ibra, not LVG in anyway.

ghagua

So glad that Mourinho came in and is starting to clear out all the young players introduced into the team by LvG. Most of them were not ready or were not good enough to get into the first team, but he had no choice but to play them after he got rid of the experienced players and left the squad under strength. Any success that Mourinho gets will be forever labeled as foundations laid down by LvG.

Will Singh

He signed Di Maria and didn't know how to use him.... fecking legacy?

Just to be clear I respect LVG and think of him as a top manager, but he didn't do himself any favours with how ADM was handled. We had become a laughing stock for our rival fans and smaller clubs were rubbing there hands playing at OT as easy 3 points.

If I could control my emotions while I think about what he did for the club, maybe he did or maybe he didn't, what I'm sure that every time I think of the cnut my blood boils!

feck this thread as it reminds my of that nightmare we had to go through!!!!!

hbgreg

LvG is one of the best managers ever and left us with amazing players and a bright future.

hbgreg

Agree strongly with this post. Don't get the vitriol towards a very good man and a very good manager who treated the club and fans with respect.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

Romero
Rooney--Carrick
Ighalo​
Wheres Navas and Depay? :smirk:

prath92

Romero
Rooney--Carrick
Ighalo​
We would have got navas. And we rejected the vermaelen swap so technically that wouldn't have happened. Plus we would have played rashford ?

prath92

He signed Di Maria and didn't know how to use him.... fecking legacy?

Just to be clear I respect LVG and think of him as a top manager, but he didn't do himself any favours with how ADM was handled. We had become a laughing stock for our rival fans and smaller clubs were rubbing there hands playing at OT as easy 3 points.

If I could control my emotions while I think about what he did for the club, maybe he did or maybe he didn't, what I'm sure that every time I think of the cnut my blood boils!

feck this thread as it reminds my of that nightmare we had to go through!!!!!
I think we had one of the best home records. The guy you are thinking of is Moyes

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119

LVG was a good manager in the 90's. His achievements since then are nothing to write home about.

Rid of deadwood? I would hardly count RVP, Evans, Rafael or Nani as deadwood. Especially in the case of Evans - keeping an appalling, atrocious defender in Rojo ahead of him was a terrible decision.

He didn't choose to use the youngsters, injuries forced his hand. It was either playing the youth or having less than 11 players on the field. Consider the case of CBJ. As soon as Rojo was fit, he was back in at LB, despite not even putting a single perfordnance better than what CBJ showed.

Having the likes of McNair and Blackett? He was given free reign and an unlimited budget to sign whoever he wants. If he ends up with Blackett (someone who couldn't even get in the bloody Celtic team, in a league that's at the standard of League 1 these days), then it's his lack of judgment of players, not the fact that he was stuck with players he didn't want. He chose Blackett, he chose McNair.

Adding 4 players, that's almost a third of a team. Jose came in and saw that he needed at least one defender, one midfielder and two attackers better than what LVG had assembled. If someone comes in and says that every aspect of something you have built is lacking, I wouldn't consider it as "building the foundation."

To summarize, I'm drunk as feck, but to see a United fan defending a manager who was worse than Moyes makes my blood boil. The happiest day as a United fan I've had since Fergie retired was when LVG got sacked. That Dutch loon's face is enough to give me a decking aneurism.

Mindhunter

The revisionism has started. This will end with fans in 2025 looking at LVG like a godlike figure who gave direction to the rudderless ship post SAFs retirement and started our next phase of success.

kr0nix

LVG was a good manager in the 90's. His achievements since then are nothing to write home about.

Rid of deadwood? I would hardly count RVP, Evans, Rafael or Nani as deadwood. Especially in the case of Evans - keeping an appalling, atrocious defender in Rojo ahead of him was a terrible decision.

He didn't choose to use the youngsters, injuries forced his hand. It was either playing the youth or having less than 11 players on the field. Consider the case of CBJ. As soon as Rojo was fit, he was back in at LB, despite not even putting a single perfordnance better than what CBJ showed.

Having the likes of McNair and Blackett? He was given free reign and an unlimited budget to sign whoever he wants. If he ends up with Blackett (someone who couldn't even get in the bloody Celtic team, in a league that's at the standard of League 1 these days), then it's his lack of judgment of players, not the fact that he was stuck with players he didn't want. He chose Blackett, he chose McNair.

Adding 4 players, that's almost a third of a team. Jose came in and saw that he needed at least one defender, one midfielder and two attackers better than what LVG had assembled. If someone comes in and says that every aspect of something you have built is lacking, I wouldn't consider it as "building the foundation."

To summarize, I'm drunk as feck, but to see a United fan defending a manager who was worse than Moyes makes my blood boil. The happiest day as a United fan I've had since Fergie retired was when LVG got sacked. That Dutch loon's face is enough to give me a decking aneurism.
I'm no fan of LVG, but he was a hell of a lot better than Moyes.
Moyes, who finished 7th and collected 5 points from a possible 24 against Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal. Moyes, who proceeded to lose the confidence of the players within three months of the start of the season. Moyes, whose career highlight at OT was the emergence of a single youth player, Adnan Januzaj.
(By the way, if LVG doesn't get credit for the successes of Rashford, Fosu-Mensah, and the like, why does Moyes get unconditional credit for the success of Januzaj? Is it because there really was nothing else to write home about from his reign?)

Womp

idiot
Thanks for Martial and TFM, thank feck he's out of the club for just about everything else.

Also, if it wasn't for such a big injury crisis he would have never played Rash IMO, Martial was set to start that game up front.

kr0nix

The revisionism has started. This will end with fans in 2025 looking at LVG like a godlike figure who gave direction to the rudderless ship post SAFs retirement and started our next phase of success.
The revisionism started with the elevation of Moyes above LVG. Even if one chooses to ignore the fact that LVG finished higher than Moyes and won a trophy, the difference between their reigns is clear when you consider that Moyes's one achievement at United was the emergence of Januzaj.

Status
Not open for further replies.