LVG's Legacy/Foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Just keep 'em coming lads. This thread will contain quotes enough to keep us laughing for months in 5 years from now.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Louis Van Gaal is one of the great managers of the modern era as much as it pains certain people to admit. I honestly doubt there are many if any managers that would have taken over after the mess that Moyes left us in and done a better job. He got rid of countless deadwood and drastically reduced the average age of the squad. He structured the squad so that the youngsters would get a chance and we now have three academy (rashford, lingard, TFM) players in the first team as a result

He was in a no win situation with us fans and what I believe were unrealistic expectations given the talent at his disposal. He had the fecking likes of McMare and Blackett and somehow managed to keep us in the top 4-5. As a poster above rightly mentioned, if someone can come along and only add 4 players and create a side capable of competing for the title then be definition the predecessor left behind solid foundations.

I am not saying he should have stayed and bringing in Jose was the right decision for us to move forward. However I'm one of the few who respects LVGs thankless work and wish him a happy retirement
Agree.
The vitriol towards LVG is terrible on here. Moyes was so much worse, and cannot stop taking a dig at United (he would have said worse if United hadn't gagged him), compared to LVG, yet some posters are calling him cnut and such - that's awful, the man deserves respect. Yes we didn't like the football he served up, but that doesn't mean people need to get personal and slag him off.
Crucially, he inherited a mess from Moyes, and must have laid down some foundation as JM hasn't had to gut the squad and start over again. He's just needed a couple of additions. Changing a style of play does not mean the previous manager didn't leave a good structure behind.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
"Unrealistic expectations". Jesus Christ. He got two full seasons in charge and a staggering amount of money to spend, yet we did worse in season two than season one. Playing diabolical football. The patience he was shown was frankly remarkable. No other top club would have put up with that shit as long as we did.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
"Unrealistic expectations". Jesus Christ. He got two full seasons in charge and a staggering amount of money to spend, yet we did worse in season two than season one. Playing diabolical football. The patience he was shown was frankly remarkable. No other top club would have put up with that shit as long as we did.
I was just about to bring this thread to your attention, if I didn't spot this post!

I can't believe this LvG foundation stuff is still peddled.

NoLogo

Prediction:

From the signings, only Martial and Shaw will still be here in 3 years time. Will be said that Shaw doesn't count as he was a club signing which was approved by LVG.
From promotions only Rashford and maybe Fosu-Mensah will be in 3 years time.
Agreed. They are the only ones who are good enough. Maybe Blind will also still be here because it's always good to have utility players in the squad who can do a good job in multiple positions.

hbgreg

Agree.
The vitriol towards LVG is terrible on here. Moyes was so much worse, and cannot stop taking a dig at United (he would have said worse if United hadn't gagged him), compared to LVG, yet some posters are calling him cnut and such - that's awful, the man deserves respect. Yes we didn't like the football he served up, but that doesn't mean people need to get personal and slag him off.
Crucially, he inherited a mess from Moyes, and must have laid down some foundation as JM hasn't had to gut the squad and start over again. He's just needed a couple of additions. Changing a style of play does not mean the previous manager didn't leave a good structure behind.
LvG was called terrible names all the time, very sad to see a forum full of adults insulting another man so terribly just because he wasn't entertaining them as much as they'd like.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
The revisionism started with the elevation of Moyes above LVG. Even if one chooses to ignore the fact that LVG finished higher than Moyes and won a trophy, the difference between their reigns is clear when you consider that Moyes's one achievement at United was the emergence of Januzaj.
And a good CL campaign, we couldnt get past bloody PSV.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I was just about to bring this thread to your attention, if I didn't spot this post!

I can't believe this LvG foundation stuff is still peddled.
It was inevitable. He can literally do no wrong with that rationale. Sure we were shit when he was in charge but look how great we became when he left! Foundations! I mean, the logic is deeply flawed but you could see it coming with all the credit he was being given for previous clubs that improved when he was sacked.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Well, despite the dreadful football at display, his signings were actually really good

Depay = Does not look promising, but the jury is still out
Darmian = Same as the above imo.
Herrera = Good signing, i think we have yet to see the best from him
Rojo = I like the guy, but he always seems to feck up at least once during a match
Blind = Quality signing
Martial = Future Ballon'd Or winner?
Shaw = Quality signing
Schneiderlin = As with Herrera, i think we have yet to see the best from him. He was class at Sunderland
Romero = Fair enough
Fosu-Mensah = Looks like a great signing tbh. Can't wait to see more from him.

All in all, when it came to players inn, he did a good job, if he only had did a equally good job with players out, i think things might have turned out much better for him. Getting rid of all our senior strikers, as well as Di Maria and Nani in such a short time was bound to cause problems.

Croftona7

So you mean to say you prefer us getting thrashed by city and the likes as opposed to the vice versa ?
Are you saying there's been a time in your life when United were even less enjoyable to watch than they were over the time LVG was manager? My point was about overall style of play and entertainment value, not isolated results here or there.

prath92

Are you saying there's been a time in your life when United were even less enjoyable to watch than they were over the time LVG was manager? My point was about overall style of play and entertainment value, not isolated results here or there.
You can't be seriously suggesting that you enjoyed Moyes season more than last season. Rival fans started pitying us towards the end

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Shaw and Herrera were club signings
It's beens stated everywhere that LVG gave and OK to the signings. You call the coming manager up and ask him if he wants these players, if he thinks they are not part of his plans then he will turn them down. Your way of discussing would make Ed Woodward the one to credit for every signing made recently. Look at it this way, if those players knew Moyes were to stay - do you think the chance of them coming would be bigger? If they knew one of the biggest names in football history is coming as a coach, would you think there's a bigger chance of them signing?

Like it or not, he's a huge name in football and that's despite of not making the most out of his time here. As many has already pointed out, he had to deal with the worst Man United team in ages. He sent players away to make way for the future. He had the worst luck ever in the transfer market (Falcao/di maria) and honestly, who thought it'd go wrong????? Believe me, there are just as big names out there who's failed coaching big teams. That don't take away the medals they've won. Just look at the competition, we were NEVER going to win the league with those players. I'm very pleased with the FA-cup medal.

Once again, add 4 players and you have a really good team. Those 4 players where the once LVG were looking for, but they underperformed. You can argue they didn't like it under him - nevertheless they felt happy signing the contract, the little feckers.

Fully Fledged

It was inevitable. He can literally do no wrong with that rationale. Sure we were shit when he was in charge but look how great we became when he left! Foundations! I mean, the logic is deeply flawed but you could see it coming with all the credit he was being given for previous clubs that improved when he was sacked.
Clubs improving after he was sacked. Shouldn't that make him look bad? If a new manager can come in and get more out of the players he left than he did doesn't that count against his managerial credentials? The fact that it happened so often should tell you everything you need to know.

Spoony

The People's President
Christ, no.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think his biggest achievement was stabilizing the club after Moyes. Anyone that thinks we were not in danger of falling through the floor in the summer of 2014 is naive.
He also left a decent squad.

facund

LVG helped the entire modern fanbase realise that we can't take anything for granted. A big name manager at a big name club with big name signings and yet we could barely muster a handful of genuinely entertaining or dominant matches. There was seemingly no room for excuses and yet that is pretty much all we got. LVG and Moyes set the modern day nadir for Manchester United.

We will all reap the rewards of having our sense of privilege checked, future success will be truly appreciated and savoured, all complacency gone. He brought the Ferguson era to an end, and whilst painful it was a necessary step. Not sure he deserves much credit (FA Cup aside) but it has all been part of the club cleaning out the cobwebs and looking to revitalise itself rather than clinging to a bygone age. We have the experience and taste of a place(s) we never want to return to and that in itself will provide a good foundation through which to instigate a renewed drive for success.

Fully Fledged

Chelsea won the Champions League a year after Ancleotti was sacked. Real Madrid did the same. Does that reflect badly on him too? Not suggesting for a minute Bayern's improvement post van Gaal reflects well on him ditto any improvement Barcelona made. Barcelona didn't win La Liga for 6 years after van Gaal won his second title in 99. What does that say about him?
Do you believe that Madrid and Chelsea were better teams after he was sacked? If you believe that then you must see that that should reflect badly on him. I don't think they were.

Stacks

Agree.
He spent over 200 million so unless that money went down a black hole, I would expect we wouldn't have to replace the whole team. Plus we only finished 1 point off top 4 despite LVG debilitating our players so I wouldn't envisage we would need to replace everyone. Many believed we had decent players that were being wrecked by the philosophy and Van Gaal not knowing how to use them

Stacks

Clubs improving after he was sacked. Shouldn't that make him look bad? If a new manager can come in and get more out of the players he left than he did doesn't that count against his managerial credentials? The fact that it happened so often should tell you everything you need to know.
No that's not how it works. I quizzed Kinder Bueno about this and he says he can't explain it. LVG probably doesn't want it to turn out this way but it just does. The man is sooo bloody good at laying foundations and it will always take the next guy to make the ship sail to its destination.

Stacks

Chelsea won the Champions League a year after Ancleotti was sacked. Real Madrid did the same. Does that reflect badly on him too? Not suggesting for a minute Bayern's improvement post van Gaal reflects well on him ditto any improvement Barcelona made. Barcelona didn't win La Liga for 6 years after van Gaal won his second title in 99. What does that say about him?
Foundations can take anywhere from 2-6 years to bear fruit maybe? Or as long as until the next manager can make it click perhaps? The onus is on the next manager as to how soon he takes advantage of the foundations.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm very surprised that Kinder egg and his posse of LVG loving bandits haven't ridden into this thread yet.
Those guys sort of went quiet when LVG was fired and Mourinho bought players that LVG would have no hope of ever signing.
They have stayed quiet because we have won our first 3 games (which LVG failed to do in 2 attempts).
When we lose, no doubt, they will crawl out of the wood work.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Is this thread a pisstake or a result of a lost bet?
I'm beginning to think that all the LVG supporters claiming the "foundation theory" need to be named and shamed.
It's getting to a point where this has to be some form of inside/private joke.

One guy even claimed that LVG handled the DDG situation well.
LVG did his best to sell DDG, but Madrid screwed up the paper work on the transfer.
LVG had no idea how to man-manage Galactico class players, which is why Di Maria and DDG (our only 2 Galactico class players), both tried desperately to leave.
Di Maria escaped, and DDG almost escaped.

Mourinho join us and within a few months, he gets Pogba, Ibra, while DDG declares that his future lies with us.

The difference between Jose and LVG is night and day.

Stacks

I'm beginning to think that all the LVG supporters claiming the "foundation theory" need to be named and shamed.
It's getting to a point where this has to be some form of inside/private joke.

One guy even claimed that LVG handled the DDG situation well.
LVG did his best to sell DDG, but Madrid screwed up the paper work on the transfer.
LVG had no idea how to man-manage Galactico class players, which is why Di Maria and DDG (our only 2 Galactico class players), both tried desperately to leave.
Di Maria escaped, and DDG almost escaped.

Mourinho join us and within a few months, he gets Pogba, Ibra, while DDG declares that his future lies with us.

The difference between Jose and LVG is night and day.
but Jose Mourinho can't lay foundations like Louis can. Ask Mrs Benitez

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This continuing idea that LVG laid down anything significant that's going to be a factor in future success, or that he did the best with a limited side, needs to be put to bed.

Yeah, he inherited a mess, but it was his job to fix that mess, and he failed to. He was given insane amounts of money to spend, and spent it on renowned names like Falcao and Di Maria.

After first season stabilisation (which I'll admit he did achieve), his target the following season should have been to compete for the title. Nothing less. He had the money to do so, especially when Leicester won it, and even Spurs were managing to compete till the end.

Even this stuff about him improving our passing and ball retention is a bit silly. I'd expect most of the players in our team, even the younger, more inexperienced ones, know how to pass a football with some level of competence. Playing in a system where they were encouraged to make safe, uninspired passes as often as they could wouldn't have improved them anymore than having someone who encouraged risky, attacking football would.

The guy was just a shite United manager in the end - quite possibly as bad as Moyes when everything's taken into account. There's no need to try and make it look like he had an incredibly hard job in retrospect, or that he was hard done by. It's nonsensical.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ate, 1 absurd poster went as far as saying Spain's dominance was down to LvG as well. And to a lesser extent, Germany. Now who can argue with logic as sounds as that?

Like you said, no matter how shit the football, results were or how much money he spent or "older superstars" he signed that didn't work out - he cannot lose with that logic.

SalfordRed1960

LvG was called terrible names all the time, very sad to see a forum full of adults insulting another man so terribly just because he wasn't entertaining them as much as they'd like.
Pretty much agree with this. It was ridiculous some of the comments.

It was no surprise that no one picked up or mentioned Jose's last pre match when he said I have chosen a squad size of 23 which is more than enough the handle injuries, if not we have the academy players. Justifying the sending out on loan of people like Adnan, Pierre. When LVG did exactly the same he got crucified on here.

The lack of entertaining football will cause many to see absolutely no good from the LVG Era. I even see comments now about it is not the style of football that matters it is the winning that counts.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The fact that the word philosophy which apparently everything was based on, suddeny changed to "process" for no apparent reason, should give you an insight into exactly how much substance there was to it.

Allong with the fact that "immediate success" changed to "a few months" to "3 years" and now is "5 or 6 years time"

LVG was like some kind of weird social experiment on football fans. To see how far you could push the bullshit before people who merely WANTED it to be true stopped believing in it. Very far, was the answer.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Ate, 1 absurd poster went as far as saying Spain's dominance was down to LvG as well. And to a lesser extent, Germany. Now who can argue with logic as sounds as that?
:lol: Wait, what?! That completely takes the cake.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
LVG was like some kind of weird social experiment on football fans. To see how far you could push the bullshit before people who merely WANTED it to be true stopped believing in it. Very far, was the answer.
There are some in here who still believe in LVG's philosophy. They are absolutely 100% convinced that he did a great job and would've got us 4th place again.

Croftona7

You can't be seriously suggesting that you enjoyed Moyes season more than last season. Rival fans started pitying us towards the end
Well it's a bit hobsons choice isn't it, neither were any fun. I just found LVG's style of play absolutely terrible and lacking of any entertainment, worse than that my United were virtually unrecognisable and didn't come close to touching any of the areas that we've always been famous for.

So that for me is unforgivable.

Winrar

threads like this was always going to happen, wasn't it?

if manager after LVG is a success, it's due to LVG's "foundations". if manager after LVG is a failure, it was him that tinkered and messed with LVG's "foundations" so he's in the fault.

it's a perfect excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.