LVG's United is not better than Ole's

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
At least we were organised with a plan
Organised so well we came 4th and 5th.

Ole 'PE Teacher' Solskjaer beat that in his first full season. And that's without the experience LVG had.

Ole has done better than his doubters give him credit for. They just don't understand there's no quick fix for this club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Van Gaal left behind a clear philosophy that the club could have expanded on. The management chose to go into an opposite direction, but that's not his fault.
What will Solskjaer leave behind?
CL football at first full season. Talented youngsters getting chances in team. Egos being gradually sold.

Ole is doing fine.

Zen86

I'm still sick of hearing about that fecking philosophy even now.

His philosophy was rubbish football and an equally, if not more rubbish, transfer policy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ole's football is slightly more entertaining than LvG's but that doesn't mean both shouldn't have been/be sacked. Ole is clearly not qualified to manage this club and only has the job due to nostalgia and Woodward's general inability to get it right.

wolvored

I thought VG would do a good job especially after the WC. How wrong was I!
FA cup apart the most entertaining he did was when he dived at the linesman's feet to indicate how a player had dived :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm still sick of hearing about that fecking philosophy even now.

His philosophy was rubbish football and an equally, if not more rubbish, transfer policy.
"For many years now, FC Bayern have stood for possession, dominance on the ball, a strong positional game and lots of goals," Bayern’s long-standing CEO, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge explained to Germany's leading sports magazine, kicker. "Hansi Flick has brought that philosophy back to the team." "Tactically, the team is like it was under Louis van Gaal, Jupp Heynckes or Pep Guardiola."

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Razor thin difference in performance.

One was sacked.
The other got praised for rebuilding the dynasty.

At least lvg got some silverware to write hom about.

But yeah. He got 3rd. 35 pts of the top. Where's the 2nd is nothing brigade?

AshRK

Both lvg and jose were far better manager than Ole but football wise Ole's football is much more pleasing to eyes than those two's. Doesn't mean Ole's football is amazing but it's what it is. People saying lvgs football being better are just lying and are forgotting those boring 0-0 draws to Cambridge and Middlesbrough and many more.

Hoof the ball

LvG did the 3-5-2 thing with Holland and United before Conte came in later on and was credited with the innovation. LvG wanted the symmetrical CB's before it became in vogue in the PL. If there's one thing you can't criticise him on, it's being progressive and innovative in terms of match preparation, training and facilities and tactical trends. Don't let his issues with United in the final third obscure the many really good things he did also.

LVG being boring is fecking overstated on this forum

For fecks sake what was Mourinho's football? Or Moyes?
I found our games against the top teams quite exciting especially the game at Anfield and Arsenal at OT.

youmeletsfly

LvG did the 3-5-2 thing with Holland and United before Conte came in later on and was credited with the innovation. LvG wanted the symmetrical CB's before it became in vogue in the PL. If there's one thing you can't criticise him on, it's being progressive and innovative in terms of match preparation, training and facilities and tactical trends. Don't let his issues with United in the final third obscure the many really good things he did also.
Relax, they'll never see it. But, on the other hand, a shit ton of people are complaining that Ole has no system, no identity etc.

It seems that United fans like what they see only when we win stuff, other than that it's all reactionary stuff.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Where's the 2nd is nothing brigade?
The problem with that line of thinking is...guess what?

Context: United fans beyond those who actually loved the idea of Jose (and those who absolute hated it) thought, roughly, this: If he still has his mojo, he'll spend a season getting the basics in order - and then he'll mount a proper challenge.

And then he'll probably have a meltdown - but let's worry about that after he's won something big (which we need right now).

He never came anywhere close to challenging, though.

Which is why 2nd was, indeed, "nothing". It wasn't a step in the right direction - it was...nothing. And the season which followed hammered home the suspicion many had - namely that he wasn't going anywhere (other than edging further and further towards the inevitable).

Whatever you think of Ole, he actually bounced back last season.

If he had started the season brilliantly, looking like a challenger - and then gradually regressed to finish 3rd by the slightest of margins...well, do you think most "Ole-inners" would've been fine with that? If so, you're attributing cult-like traits to a large number of fans (or members on here, if you will) who simply found something to be positive about after Bruno's arrival and a tangible, undeniable change in the way we performed (which lasted pretty much for the remainder of the season).

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I've read so many posters here claiming LVG's United playing style is much better.

Come on now, I quite clearly remember during LVG's tenure I fell asleep so many times watching United. That was the most turd inducing playing style since I started supporting this club.

Ole United isn't all that boring, time and time again players are allowed to express themselves with flair, fast direct football and also fast break attacks.

What annoys me so much is whenever we grind the results, people are claiming LVG is way better and I'm starting to question what kind of match you guys were watching?

To those saying that LVG united is way more entertaining, tell me how is it better?
:lol: thats so true. I remember it was the first ever time I fell asleep watching football.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The problem with that line of thinking is...guess what?

Context: United fans beyond those who actually loved the idea of Jose (and those who absolute hated it) thought, roughly, this: If he still has his mojo, he'll spend a season getting the basics in order - and then he'll mount a proper challenge.

And then he'll probably have a meltdown - but let's worry about that after he's won something big (which we need right now).

He never came anywhere close to challenging, though.

Which is why 2nd was, indeed, "nothing". It wasn't a step in the right direction - it was...nothing. And the season which followed hammered home the suspicion many had - namely that he wasn't going anywhere (other than edging further and further towards the inevitable).

Whatever you think of Ole, he actually bounced back last season.

If he had started the season brilliantly, looking like a challenger - and then gradually regressed to finish 3rd by the slightest of margins...well, do you think most "Ole-inners" would've been fine with that? If so, you're attributing cult-like traits to a large number of fans (or members on here, if you will) who simply found something to be positive about after Bruno's arrival and a tangible, undeniable change in the way we performed (which lasted pretty much for the remainder of the season).
I see, so it's progress under ole.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I see, so it's progress under ole.
Yes - there has been progress. In several areas.

But then he has to build on it - of course.

This season has not been promising so far with regard to that. I'm very skeptical myself. But we'll see.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Van Gaal left behind a clear philosophy that the club could have expanded on. The management chose to go into an opposite direction, but that's not his fault.
What will Solskjaer leave behind?
He also completely ravaged the atmosphere at the club, according to a few of our ex-players. Incredibly damaging and something we might never recover from.

Ole leaves a much better side behind to build on.

Zen86

"For many years now, FC Bayern have stood for possession, dominance on the ball, a strong positional game and lots of goals," Bayern’s long-standing CEO, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge explained to Germany's leading sports magazine, kicker. "Hansi Flick has brought that philosophy back to the team." "Tactically, the team is like it was under Louis van Gaal, Jupp Heynckes or Pep Guardiola."
You can make up whatever philosophy you want when you’re Bayern Munich smashing the German league every season. It sure as shit didn’t work here, though.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ole is better than Moyes, Jose and LVG. That just proves we have a chief executive who has been running the club badly all that time.

Teja

LVG being boring is fecking overstated on this forum

For fecks sake what was Mourinho's football? Or Moyes?
I used to literally fall asleep when LvG's United played. Probably because the games started at like Five fecking AM. Mourinho was .. different at the very least. Kept you on your toes by letting the opposition have the ball.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You can make up whatever philosophy you want when you’re Bayern Munich smashing the German league every season. It sure as shit didn’t work here, though.
That "made up" philosophy seems to work quite well for Bayern in Europe though? Even against English opposition?

Strelok

That "made up" philosophy seems to work quite well for Bayern in Europe though? Even against English opposition?
Bayern played possession based football aka tiki taka in their last CL final?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I used to literally fall asleep when LvG's United played. Probably because the games started at like Five fecking AM. Mourinho was .. different at the very least. Kept you on your toes by letting the opposition have the ball.
:confused:

It was still boring.. Games are more exciting when the opposition has more of the ball?

Zen86

It’s their “philosophy” doing that now is it?

Here I was thinking it was due to hoovering up the Bundesligas best talent and having a much better team then most of the competition, as they have done for a long time.

I don’t think anyone thinks “philosophy” when they think about Bayern.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
:lol: thats so true. I remember it was the first ever time I fell asleep watching football.
So many times, Rel. I even feel asleep during that FA Cup final. Ok, so I'd just got back from a week long business trip that day, was exhausted and didn't start watching the match until 11pm but still, I shouldn't have fallen asleep during a final.

djembatheking

LVG had us playing some terrible stuff to watch , we could be a goal down in the final few mins and just be passing the ball across the back line cos no one wanted to lose possession , bad shit man .
Most teams have looked fairly poor this season , games are far more like training sessions with empty stadiums , teams seem to switch off and games drift away with no intensity , very hard to judge anyone really.

BlahRules

LVG football was ridiculously boring. Didn't we have about ten 0-0 draws one season?
LVG downfall was backing a declining player (Rooney). He had this notion that his caption must play regardless if he never scores or ruined every attack we tried to create. When Martial and Rashford came into the team, Rooney pushed the two players out wide or he took a midfield role. I do believe if we had LVG he would of signed a right winger and better full back to allow him play better football.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Louis Van Gaal had far less talent to work with - which was entirely his fault, though most of Oles signing outside of Bruno have been shockingly bad too.
James, Maguire, Bruno, AWB, Cavani, Telles, Donny. Most of them have not been shockingly bad. In fact, I'd argue that only one of Ole's signings has been a bad one.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Moyes = A kindergarten kid trying to learn calculus
LvG = Egoistical, possessive maniac who wants football to be played in a very specific order even if it means Phil Jones has to take corners
Mourinho = A narcissistic, pragmatic, depressed old man who fights with everybody if he is not allowed to be narcissistic and pragmatic
Ole = PE teacher

There. I insulted them all because they have not achieved much with the club as managers and have to be treated equally. Each one "rebuilt" the club but it's fake news. Let them swim, if they drown then they drown. No amount of nostalgia or funny press conferences should change it. If a manager fails to improve the team season after season, he deserves the sack. All of them (before Ole) deserved the sack. Ole is not that much better so far, we'll see at the end of season.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
LVG downfall was backing a declining player (Rooney). He had this notion that his caption must play regardless if he never scores or ruined every attack we tried to create. When Martial and Rashford came into the team, Rooney pushed the two players out wide or he took a midfield role. I do believe if we had LVG he would of signed a right winger and better full back to allow him play better football.
He bought both Shaw and Darmian as his full backs. He also signed Memphis and Di Maria who could play right wing.

Paul_Scholes18

Moyes = A kindergarten kid trying to learn calculus
LvG = Egoistical, possessive maniac who wants football to be played in a very specific order even if it means Phil Jones has to take corners
Mourinho = A narcissistic, pragmatic, depressed old man who fights with everybody if he is not allowed to be narcissistic and pragmatic
Ole = PE teacher

There. I insulted them all because they have not achieved much with the club as managers and have to be treated equally. Each one "rebuilt" the club but it's fake news. Let them swim, if they drown then they drown. No amount of nostalgia or funny press conferences should change it. If a manager fails to improve the team season after season, he deserves the sack. All of them (before Ole) deserved the sack. Ole is not that much better so far, we'll see at the end of season.
Why do you give compliments to Ole? PE teacher is far above his abilities.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Bayern played possession based football aka tiki taka in their last CL final?
if you consider 62% to 38% as possesion based in a Champions League final where the actuall 2 best European teams face each other, than yes.