Mad bastards of the game

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dunno about hard but he was a snide cnut, especially playing soft arses like Wilkins

wasnt too hard when playing against Robbo, big Norm, Moran, McGrath, Moses etc
Well. That's a given, mate.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
To this day it still remains remarkable and an injustice that Duncan Ferguson was sent to prison for that headbutt. What were the Police thinking?

ROFLUTION

Lehmann
Materazzi - Stam - Vidic - Pierce
Keane - Gattuso - V. Jones - Souness - McMahon
Ferguson

Id hate to play those 11. Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan on for subs, to get some cnuty stud action.

TheReligion

Abusive
Do you disagree? Don't get me wrong I'm not mad about it. I just find it bizarre and almost unprecedented.
Oh I thought you were joking. He definitely deserved to be prosecuted. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise? With regards to the sentence I'm not sure why he was given an custodial however I'm not sure if he had a previous criminal history or of the sentencing guidance in Scotland.

Ibi Dreams

I'm not sure if I'm saying this just because of THAT kick, but Nigel de Jong?

Can't remember if he was a dirty player apart from that but I have a feeling he was

simplyared

I'll have to go back a bit to find what the OP's after. The man who fits that description best would be Peter Storey. Then followed by:
Gentile
Duncan Ferguson
Billy Bremner
Ron Harris
Graeme Souness
Roy Keane
Robbie Savage
Gattuso

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Oh I thought you were joking. He definitely deserved to be prosecuted. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise? With regards to the sentence I'm not sure why he was given an custodial however I'm not sure if he had a previous criminal history or of the sentencing guidance in Scotland.
'Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise?' Are we talking about the same incident?

If everyone who committed a similar offence in football was prosecuted by the police we would have multiple prosecutions a season. As best I know, there has not been another prosecution for a similar football offence in Britain since this happened.

In this very thread, we have Ben Thatcher trying to take a man's head off and he was not prosecuted for it. The punishment stayed within football, as it should.

Michael Brown has been described by his own team mates as the most horrible player they have seen on the pitch. Apparently a really lovely guy off the pitch, with regrets about his own conduct a times, but would just lose it completely.
Remember him trying to break Giggs' shin at old trafford the cnut

TheReligion

Abusive
'Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise?' Are we talking about the same incident?

If everyone who committed a similar offence in football was prosecuted by the police we would have multiple prosecutions a season. As best I know, there has not been another prosecution for a similar football offence in Britain since this happened.

In this very thread, we have Ben Thatcher trying to take a man's head off and he was not prosecuted for it. The punishment stayed within football, as it should.
I think you can get away with an elbow/shoulder charge and argue it's part of the game. You can't get away with walking over someone and headbutting them in the face though off the ball. The law doesn't offer any protection/defence for that.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I think you can get away with an elbow/shoulder charge and argue it's part of the game. You can't get away with walking over someone and headbutting them in the face though off the ball. The law doesn't offer any protection/defence for that.
But there have been countless head butts before and after the Ferguson case in Scotland & England and as far as I know, the law has not got involved with any of them, much less send a footballer to jail for it! That's what I meant by it being a unique case.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Just when I see his name a few posts above, surely John Hartson was lucky he didn't serve time for kicking Eyal Berkovic in the head?

Diablodave

Jose Luis Chilavert the goalscoring Paraguayan keeper, used to hit Freekicks and Penalties for them. Was an absolute hothead and wouldn't have thought twice about laying someone flat!

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Pasquale Bruno is a mostly forgotten lunatic from 80s/90s Serie A:

Doesn't seem to have mellowed much as an Italian TV pundit these days, and evidently doesn't like Bonucci very much:

Bruno said:
I’d love the chance to play today, in a Juventus-Torino against Bonucci. Seeing him so excited, euphoric, ready to protest all the time, made me imagine Pasquale Bruno in the tunnel punching Bonucci in the face, splitting his lip with five stitches and that way he can’t talk for five months.
Carlos Roa mightn't fit the bill for this thread as he seems a pleasant sort on and off the pitch, but if he wasn't a mad bastard in his own way he'd probably have been a Utd player and maybe saved us from enduring Bosnich, Taibi etc.

Sid Lowe said:
Roa's problems haven't so much been physical as metaphysical.

Roa is a Seventh-day Adventist, a strict vegetarian and teetotaler who carries a Bible everywhere he goes. Nicknamed The Lettuce for his diet, Roa refuses to play before sundown on Saturdays - a decision which ended any chance of repeating his heroics in Japan.

Despite being first choice - and fit - he has played just eleven times for Real Mallorca this season, after Champions League qualification forced them to switch their league games to Saturdays.

Unlike Jonathan Edwards, however, Roa refused to back down on his principles, even as the World Cup slipped away. "It was frustrating," he admits, "but I never considered playing on Saturdays".

Saturday no-shows are just the tip of the religious iceberg, however. In 1999, while still Argentina's No. 1, Roa retired from football altogether to prepare himself for the apocalypse, scheduled for the new millennium.

Roa moved to an isolated mountain retreat in Argentina where he could - as he now puts it - "be closer to my family" or - as he then put it - "prepare for the end of the world, in a place where He will provide everything we need".

No one knew where Roa had gone. A reporter from the Argentinian daily Olé tried to seek him out, but his club had no idea where he was. Nor did his agent. And it was no use asking his family: they'd gone with him. Nor was there any point ringing him - Roa had given away his possessions, including his mobile, and the retreat, where he planned to tend his orchards, had no phone.

Eventually Roa was tracked down to a village called Villa de Soto where he was, indeed, awaiting the end of the world, fulfilling his duties as a "priest" to his family.

But, when the four horsemen of the apocalypse failed to show up at his door, Roa re-appeared and contacted Real Mallorca, who welcomed him back with open arms.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Chic Charnley's another one. Used to enjoy reading about his exploits in Scotland in the newspapers, when he seemed to either score a 30 yard screamer or else get sent off for assaulting someone on a regular basis. 17 red cards, proper journeyman career but seemed to be genuinely talented too.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Also, Ben Thatcher, whose magnum opus was the worst challenge in premier league history, described at the time as “a bit late” and “on the brink of a red” :rolleyes:

He’s the first one I thought of. You don’t forget a challenge like that.

Roy Keane would’ve been awful to be around if you’d had a lacklustre game and had to face him in the dressing room.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He’s the first one I thought of. You don’t forget a challenge like that.

Roy Keane would’ve been awful to be around if you’d had a lacklustre game and had to face him in the dressing room.
It is still hard to believe. A couple of people have said that there are more hard men than mad men in the thread but you have to be mad to do something like that to someone.

At the end of the day, you do that anywhere else bar in MMA and you go to prison. He got a yellow card.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just when I see his name a few posts above, surely John Hartson was lucky he didn't serve time for kicking Eyal Berkovic in the head?
Yeah most definitely although I guess it depends what Berkovic wanted to do about it. It was also behind closed doors.

iHicksy

Gotta give honourable mentions to Rojo and de jong too. Surprised Suarez hasn't been mentioned more. The guy literally went around biting people.

devil in me

Haven't seen Rene Higuita mentioned?! Crazy and hard man/Wannabe hard man are totally different. I wouldn't have the likes of Ruddock or Barton anywhere near a Mad Bastards 11.

A front 3 of Cantona, Edmundo and Stoichkov for me, with Maradonna in behind!

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ben Thatcher is a piece of shit and should have been prosecuted at least 5 times for some of the savagery he displayed on the football pitch. Stuff like this was his bread and butter:

Then there's this guff city put out a few years ago trying to portray him as a lovely bloke who had one moment of madness. Pond life.

Red00012

Fellaini on Guendouzi always gets me.

especially as he had his head recently shaved:lol:

Last edited:

The Purley King

Graham Roberts was a bit of a hatchet man, although a good player.
Terry Hurlock was another who could lose it.

There is someone else who's name I can't quite remember. In the eighties, pretty sure he was the person with the most red cards in the league. I can picture his face but not his name. Midfielder for a non-top side. Anyone help me dredge his name from the dark recesses of my memory?