Television Mad Men | SPOILERS

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's a great show, one of the better things on at the moment. It's odd how strange it is to see people smoking all the time on telly.

Also Christina Hendricks is very nice to look at.

Maroon Lucifer

Great show. Seen every episode so far, and what I like the most about that show is not really the storylines. It's more anthropological. The roles of the sexes, and general behavior of everybody. It's fascinating to see how far we've moved the last 40 years, ofcourse depending on the accuracy of the show. Everyone is smoking, men are so superior to women that they simply have their way with them, only black guy on the show is the elevator operator and of course what today would be considered racist hatespeach in the conventional conversations.

Alex

Anthropological is spot on really, in a way I think about The Sopranos in the same sense. it was a great show because it made characters were believable and well acted and you were like they are doing this? Really? and it made sense and struck a nerve. Mad Men is much the same way, it certainly has a plot, but a plot so deep, like The Sopranos had that its more of a long and winding road than anything, there are subplots that are resolved but in the end is anything really. I counter that with The Wire, in which each season had a specific focus and was a 12 episode series, sure the show ran five seasons and tons of stuff carried over. The Sopranos and Mad Men do to some degree as well, but it's more cryptic and winding imo. After having seen only one season of Mad Men I reckon it is top fecking quality and have the second season in teh air right now off Amazon. As ML mentioned, as a man you kinda sit back looking back at 40 years ago, and the racism aside, have to say hmmm it would have been pretty fecking awesome to work for Sterling Cooper back then, the same way you were like I wish I was a made guy in The Sopranos crew, in contrast I doubt anyone was saying I wish I was Jimmy McNulty a drunk ass cop paying his whole salary in alimony who drinks his sorrows away. All three are very realistic portrayals albeit a bit glorified, but hell it's fecking television, it's just that The Sopranos and Mad Men have that somewhat dark appeal, like when you were a kid and said you wanted to be an astronaut or fireman, etc. Now, having seenwhat a shitstorm the world and especially the dark parts, after seeing these two shows the little voice in your head or devil on your shoulder, says we shouldve have been a mafiaso or could you imagine what it be like to work for Sterling Cooper. Those are my thoughts on the show thus far.

gaffs

Anthropological is spot on really, in a way I think about The Sopranos in the same sense. it was a great show because it made characters were believable and well acted and you were like they are doing this? Really? and it made sense and struck a nerve. Mad Men is much the same way, it certainly has a plot, but a plot so deep, like The Sopranos had that its more of a long and winding road than anything, there are subplots that are resolved but in the end is anything really. I counter that with The Wire, in which each season had a specific focus and was a 12 episode series, sure the show ran five seasons and tons of stuff carried over. The Sopranos and Mad Men do to some degree as well, but it's more cryptic and winding imo. After having seen only one season of Mad Men I reckon it is top fecking quality and have the second season in teh air right now off Amazon. As ML mentioned, as a man you kinda sit back looking back at 40 years ago, and the racism aside, have to say hmmm it would have been pretty fecking awesome to work for Sterling Cooper back then, the same way you were like I wish I was a made guy in The Sopranos crew, in contrast I doubt anyone was saying I wish I was Jimmy McNulty a drunk ass cop paying his whole salary in alimony who drinks his sorrows away. All three are very realistic portrayals albeit a bit glorified, but hell it's fecking television, it's just that The Sopranos and Mad Men have that somewhat dark appeal, like when you were a kid and said you wanted to be an astronaut or fireman, etc. Now, having seenwhat a shitstorm the world and especially the dark parts, after seeing these two shows the little voice in your head or devil on your shoulder, says we shouldve have been a mafiaso or could you imagine what it be like to work for Sterling Cooper. Those are my thoughts on the show thus far.
Alex - is this your longest ever post?

Your one liners are easier to read.

I downloaded Mad Men recently, is next up in my list of TV to watch.

MUFC07

I watched the first episode yesterday since I have heard very good things from this one. I liked it but I believe this is one of these shows you have to watch more than 6 episodes to get in the mood of it.

Alex

She has some of the nicest tits this world has ever seen

Iron Stove

One of the best shows on tv no doubt. They really manage to depict the 50's in the US in a credible way. And I love the advertisement theme.

But why are you guys going on about Christina Hendricks when this goddess is on the same show:

Count Duckula

One of the best shows on tv no doubt. They really manage to depict the 50's in the US in a credible way. And I love the advertisement theme.

But why are you guys going on about Christina Hendricks when this goddess is on the same show:

Why are we lusting after Christina Hendricks and not that woman? Two very good reasons.

Iron Stove

I enjoy watching that redhead too. She's a cool character. I'd be lying if I said anything else, but you can't honestly claim that mrs Draper is "nothing out of the ordinary".

Alex

She is so sexy too!!! I like that little mole on her face, very sexy beauty mark

Alex

Good 2nd season, that girl Sterling gets engaged to, mon Dieu, WAWAWEWU

Northstand

Just wondered if anyone can confirm whether the series started last night on BBC4 is season 1? Sky-plussed it and not sure it's worth watching if it's later in the series.

zain

Believe
Alright, I thought I'd give this a shot after all the people on here raving about it..
Am on the 8th episode of season 1, and honestly just haven't gotten into it at all, find it extremely dull and boring. There's too much stuff going around OUTSIDE the work place and in the family lives of the individuals than I like, would have liked to see more focus on the ad agency itself..

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Finished season 1 and 2 and it is an excellent show. Very well thought out and most importantly brilliantly scripted.

For those who find it hasn't quite got their hooks into them yet, I was at the same stage whilst beginning with season 1, you really have to give it 5 episodes before it picks up.

Cina

It's an excellent show, so well scripted and the characters are very engaging. It's not the type of show where I'd be able to watch multiple episodes at once, I generally tend to watch 2 or 3 episodes a week.

Alex

It's a slower paced show, I thought the first two seasons were excellent, season 3 was somewhat disappointing and a bit of a stepdown(what do you expect they introduced English characters); it was still good they just really changed the dynamics of the show, and didn't really add good characters, but towards the end it seemed to be getting back on stride. I think I caught about the last 8 episodes while I was on a bender one afternoon, so it got a bit hazy towards the end.

Alex

Just saw season 4 starts on July 25th, very pleased about this previously I head they were taking an 18 month hiatus, not 8 month hiatus

twitter thread suggester
I've just caught up.
Excellent show, and it's definitely not lacking humour, like someone suggested earlier in this thread.

That being said, I think it's the kind of show I'll enjoy more if I wait and watch an entire season over a couple weeks like I've done now rather than just watching one episode each week.

Cole9

That being said, I think it's the kind of show I'll enjoy more if I wait and watch an entire season over a couple weeks like I've done now rather than just watching one episode each week.
Yeh I agree with that, it's much better when you watch a few in a row. I purposely didn't watch season 3 when it was on BBC. Instead I waited until it was out on Blu-ray. Still haven't got around to watching it yet though, been busy watching Breaking Bad.

Uncle Junior

I've just finished season 1, which is said to be the best of the 3. It had its moments, but over-all the show is a bit meh IMVHO. The Peggy storyline, and the Francine storyline, are boring as feck. Time literally drags when they are on the screen.

5.5/10.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Finished season 1 the other day. It started out tumescent, gradually became absorbing and the last couple of episodes were excellent but it never stopped being hard work.

I think I'll watch season 2 though.

Devilton

Season 1 is definitely the best one...Season 3 actually dragged on a bit for me. That being said, it's still one of the most original and well written shows on TV. But it's one of those shows that you watch because it takes you back to another time (one that I wasn't around to live through). Plus the acting on a whole is terrific.

Uncle Junior

This whole Dick Whitman/background shit is boring. feck off with that. It's as if the mini-stories of side-characters running parallel to the Donald Draper ones aren't boring and dull enough for the creators.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This whole Dick Whitman/background shit is boring. feck off with that. It's as if the mini-stories of side-characters running parallel to the Donald Draper ones aren't boring and dull enough for the creators.
I found Draper's backstory very intriguing, all the more so because you're only shown a small amount (if any) per episode. The episode where the drifter comes to stay with the Whitmans is brilliant.

Uncle Junior

That episode and story was really good, but I mean this - him staying with the IRL Donald Draper's wife, staying with those hippies, and shit like that. The last 2-3 episodes have been incredibly boring.

Also, no spoilers of season 3 yet please.