Madrid "robbed" us by paying 80 million for Ronaldo

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Right, Cristiano - you've achieved everything you can at Madrid. Now come home, please!

red_devil83

At the time it was a lot of money. I think we could've pushed for a bit more though. It turned out amazingly well for him and them, so in hindsight it seems like we should've asked for £200m.

Hard to say they "robbed" us considering the fee at the time though

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yep it's an emotional argument which doesn't make sense. 80m a world record fee at the time was a very good fee for us.

Rista

In hindsight obviously it was robbery but I can't agree it was a great fee for us, even at the time. They had paid £56 million for Kaka, and how often do best players in the world at Ronaldo's age move between biggest clubs in the world? It doesn't really happen. Taking everything into consideration the fee was OK but not great.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
That doesn't make Real paying 80mill for him in 2009 "robbery". We got an amazing record breaking fee. Ronaldo sale pretty much fecked up the transfer market and it has never recovered since.
That's what you think. I think we got robbed.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I am massive Ronaldo fan (and so would tend to overrate his impact at Madrid) but why do people keep saying 80 million was a steal for them?

Back in 2009 this was a ridiculous amount of money. It smashed the world record! If you even consider the fact he wanted to leave anyway that was a lot of money we got for him. I really don't understand people saying the price was a steal?
I said as much back when it happened. We made him the world beater he is and we basically handed him to them on a silver platter.

Silverman

I honestly don't think they 'robbed' us. 80 million was a monstrous sum of money in 2009 regarding a transfer. He wanted to leave so tbh nothing we could have done.

finneh

People don't take into account the fact that it was one payment up front of £80m. It'll be the largest single payment made for over a decade from when he left. In the current climate of ever increasing revenue that's quite remarkable.

DoubleRevv

It turned out to be a good deal for them because he continued to improve, delivered the goods and stayed a long time while rarely being injured.

It's a risk to spend so much money on one player. They did the same with Bale and he's been a complete waste of money if you compare him to Ronaldo.

Hopefully in 5 or so years we can look back and say the money we paid to Juventus for Pogba was a 'steal'.
Not likely. Pogba's football value (ie how much selling club got) is roughly 45mill. So we've already been fleeced on that.

And yes! Madrid got Ronaldo on a bargain. We would have had at least 2 more league trophies in my opinion if he'd stayed. At the time of CR7's sale, I thought we should have asked for more. He has bee phenomenal for them and he is the catalyst for their resurgence.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's easy to look back at a record fee and call it robbery - fees rocket over time. I mean, £1.5m for Bryan Robson? We really pulled West Brom's trousers down there didn't we?!

Gatti33

We robbed Leeds when we signed Cantona... Same shit, can't compare now to 2009.
This. £80m in 2009 was unheard of. The fact that they paid it all in one hit it's even more astonishing, even by today's standards.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Just 2 years after you sold Ronaldo we bought Andy Carroll for £35 million. A big useless lump who was a big useless lump that's always injured. I reckon you did OK with £80 million back at a time when £80 million was a lot of money.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We got a fee that smashed the world record for the time in a lump sum, surely that can't be described as robbery?

I take the point that what he's done at Madrid makes him almost priceless in a way, but he wanted to leave, the transfer had to happen and it needed to be done for a certain amount of money. There's little doubt that transfer now would have been £100m+, but it was nearly a decade ago.

TsuWave

89 million - 43 million (Raiola's cut) = 46 million = money Juventus gets = football value.
I'm not even gonna question where you got this breakdown from and it's validity, just gonna assume it's true, I'm really just confused on how you concluded that we got fleeced on what you put as "pogba's football value" of £45M. How is £45M too much for Pogba's quality?

Sylar

The 80m should have been enough to invest and sort United out in terms of Europe for years to come. Yes we got to one CL final after he left, but that really wasnt enough. 80m in 2009 should have seen us get in 2 or 3 world class players .

DoubleRevv

I'm not even gonna question where you got this breakdown from and it's validity, just gonna assume it's true, I'm really just confused on how you concluded that we got fleeced on what you put as "pogba's football value" of £45M. How is £45M too much for Pogba's quality?
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39865103

"A book published in Germany this week - The Football Leaks: The Dirty Business of Football - and reproduced in media reports, includes what it says is a breakdown of the Pogba fee and alleges his agent Mino Raiola earned £41m from the deal."

If the amount paid to Juventus for Pogba is his football value or economic value, anything paid above that amount is us being fleeced.

We've set a bad precedent in transfers and clubs can smell our desperation when we are looking to sign players.

Until Luiz, Last time Chelsea paid £40 million or more was for Torres - ages ago. In that time they've signed Costa, Hazard, Fabregas Magic, Kante, Azpilicueta for lower amounts. These are the mainstays of their current team, yet we're paying/paid £54 million for Martial, 60 something for di Maria.

*Figures I used were off by £1-2 million.

Giggs86

What difference would've it made? 80 mil or 180 mil, Glazers books would look nicer and we'd still get Valencia, Owen and Obertan.
It's not like we needed Ronaldo's money to buy another world class player.

Sterling Archer

This. £80m in 2009 was unheard of. The fact that they paid it all in one hit it's even more astonishing, even by today's standards.
Exactly. Sure there has been inflation and influx of cash so the record fees now make the Ronaldo sum look a pittance in comparison.

Still, we were robbed. Not by Real but the arrogant idealism of our manager and board at the time. Having sold Ronaldo for that sum we should have invested and brought in a comparable world class talent. Instead we saw absolute gobshite bargains walk over the old trafford grass that was previously graced by the worlds best.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I thought so at the time. That we should get bonuses into that transfer. They got him on the cheap. The marketing angle alone means they must have recouped quite a lot of it quickly.

Moonwalker

We didn't get robbed. The quality of a player isn't the only determinant in what forms a price. It was a great piece of business for us, considering the circumstances.

Last edited:

Gonçalo Motta

Knowing what I know now, 80M even for that time is a free transfer for what he became in Madrid.
They got their money back in his first year and it was all profit after that.

But to be fair, what would be a good price ? Even 200M seems too low for the player he became. Its really amazing when players like him and Messi are so above anything else that you can't even price them without seeming a low price.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
Even at the time I thought we should have gotten at least 100 mil. In hindsight, that doesn't seem like enough either.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
No way we got fleeced. The transfer at the time was way above and beyond any that had been made at the time. It's now 8 years later and there are only 2 players with higher transfer fees than Ronaldo.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We robbed ourselves, we could have asked for 30m+Robben+Sneijder.

TsuWave

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39865103

"A book published in Germany this week - The Football Leaks: The Dirty Business of Football - and reproduced in media reports, includes what it says is a breakdown of the Pogba fee and alleges his agent Mino Raiola earned £41m from the deal."

If the amount paid to Juventus for Pogba is his football value or economic value, anything paid above that amount is us being fleeced.

We've set a bad precedent in transfers and clubs can smell our desperation when we are looking to sign players.

Until Luiz, Last time Chelsea paid £40 million or more was for Torres - ages ago. In that time they've signed Costa, Hazard, Fabregas Magic, Kante, Azpilicueta for lower amounts. These are the mainstays of their current team, yet we're paying/paid £54 million for Martial, 60 something for di Maria.

*Figures I used were off by £1-2 million.
How do we verify the validity of these "the football leaks" claims? where's the corroboration?

I do agree with the overall sentiment that we have overpaid for some players though.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Basically morons look at things so simplistically without even beginning to engage with reality.

But why would you bother.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
We could have tried harder to keep him or asked for more money.
He wanted to leave the year before. Fergie convinced him to stay one more year for the team. If we had asked for more Money Madrid would have just waited til his contract ran out and gotten him for free. Besides, Ronaldo would have been devastated that Fergie didn't keep his promise and would be sulking all year. There is nothing we could have done here.

manunited1919

At the time we weren't in the financial position to resist that offer. I have a feeling we are in a much stronger position financially nowadays, and we would do better at retaining a player of CR7 caliber.