Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seveneric

I hope this is just him (understandably) talking himself up in public, and he's not actually this deluded in private to not see what a shiteous player he's been and why he's been reduced to playing "once a month", because he's talking like someone who deserves to be starting or something.

Hughes35

Almost feel a bit sorry for him.

"I want to stay and fight" - he's a dick head, collecting a wage, can't tale a hint, feck off etc

"If I don't play I want to leave" - he's a dick head, self entitled, should fight harder, only himself to blame, feck off etc.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If Maguire wants more game time, his only option is to leave.
He wants to play, the club don't want him to stay. It's a simple solution to resolve this
I believe he understands this fully well, the roadblock is always the payoff package. He doesn't want pay cut for the remaining of his Utd contract and that is his position, which is fair.

Stadjer

"I want to stay and fight" - he's a dick head, collecting a wage, can't tale a hint, feck off etc

"If I don't play I want to leave" - he's a dick head, self entitled, should fight harder, only himself to blame, feck off etc.
But he knew he wasnt going to play a lot. Surely he was aware of that in the summer. He decided to stay and he has the right to stay and pick up his money. I have no issue with that. However when he made that decision, while being aware he wasnt going to play a lot, he should know the consequences and not complain about it a few months later.

Hughes35

But he knew he wasnt going to play a lot. Surely he was aware of that in the summer. He decided to stay and he has the right to stay and pick up his money. I have no issue with that. However when he made that decision, while being aware he wasnt going to play a lot, he should know the consequences and not complain about it a few months later.
Well yea, but humans are allowed to make decisions and later change their minds.

Don't think he has complained has he ? He's said he wants to play more and if he doesn't he will have to consider options. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

T Red

Finally had one decent game where he wasn't booed from start to finish after being absolute garbage for what has felt like forever, and he is straight back to delusion.

This could have been his turn around moment where he could have simply done his thing low-key, let his performance do the talking, and slowly push himself back into the team. But no, just when the memes and attention seem to be dying down, big mouth Harry is back at it again talking plenty and spouting shite to the media, putting himself back into the spotlight where every single thing he does would be seriously scrutinized once again.

Man is unbelievably thick.
We undoubtedly have some of the dumbest players in the league.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He was actually good against Brentford - doesn't take away from the fact the reason his win rate is high is because he's a 3rd or 4th choice these days and won't play tough games unless there are injuries.
You're picking at a meaningless comment and using it to slag him off, which I find quite ridiculous. You may have noticed that all of our games this season are tough games.

He shouldn't have to "keep his mouth shut" if the only reason why is because idiots will twist every harmless he says into an excuse to abuse or criticise him.

It isn't Harry Maguire's problem if some of our online support are incapable of not behaving like children.

Completely irrelevant point really.

Maguire is, and has been for some time, 4th choice CB. He is firmly behind Martinez, Varane & Lindelof.

He is never going to be a regular starter for us. If Martinez and Varane continue to be injured, then the club go and buy a brand new CB. That's where Maguire is. He is never fitting into a regular 1st choice CB under ETH - ever.

So he can play when we have injuries or leave. His game ratio is actually a lot higher now than expected due to this injury crisis - even Evans is playing WAY more than we would have wanted.

If Maguire wants more game time, his only option is to leave.

He wants to play, the club don't want him to stay. It's a simple solution to resolve this
He's made a completely harmless comment that has resulted in 7 pages of bizarre and barely relatable abuse from fans of his own team.

The "irony" and "irrelevant" cards haven't landed in your deck on this one I'm afraid.

tomaldinho1

You're picking at a meaningless comment and using it to slag him off, which I find quite ridiculous. You may have noticed that all of our games this season are tough games.

He shouldn't have to "keep his mouth shut" if the only reason why is because idiots will twist every harmless he says into an excuse to abuse or criticise him.

It isn't Harry Maguire's problem if some of our online support are incapable of not behaving like children.
You seem somewhat angry? Why have you put something in quotation marks as if I said it when anyone who can read Enlgish can see I did not?

I actually defended Maguire for your information, it doesn't change the fact he's started 2 games all season and one was Palace's cup team. That is simply a fact.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
A deal wasn't agreed by all parties, so things didn't even get that far.
Maguire is quoted as saying he didn’t come to an agreement with West Ham on the money and Kevin Nolan has even said it was very close to happening. For Maguire to even discuss wages with West Ham a fee must have been agreed between the clubs.

OrcaFat

I saw Harry Maguire at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
I obviously need to get out more but this post gave me the best laugh I’ve had in ages.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Maguire is quoted as saying he didn’t come to an agreement with West Ham on the money and Kevin Nolan has even said it was very close to happening. For Maguire to even discuss wages with West Ham a fee must have been agreed between the clubs.
Not necessarily, players speak with clubs and agree deals in principles before clubs reach agreements frequently.

Maguire is quoted as saying the clubs never got as far as agreeing a deal,

The actual opportunity to go to West Ham wasn’t really agreed between both clubs and myself

The actual opportunity wasn’t there because we didn’t get far enough down the line with it

Nolan was quoted as saying 'the money didn't get sorted out'

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Maguire and Utd couldn't agree the payoff package back in summer, and they probably won't in winter transfer window either given how Utd management works.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
This man will haunt me to my deathbed.

His emotionless smile, his turning circle of a cruise liner, his top speed of a beached sperm whale.

Ugh.

PieCrust

Slab head is the perfect nickname for him. This guy is as deluded and dense as they come.

Art

Art the artist
Had a good game against the mighty Brentford and feels its his time to chirp.

"When i've played my win rate is ridiculously high" ... Could you imagine the likes of Cantona, Keane, Scholes, Rooney speak like this. Fecking imbecile.

USREDEVIL

Had a good game against the mighty Brentford and feels its his time to chirp.

"When i've played my win rate is ridiculously high" ... Could you imagine the likes of Cantona, Keane, Scholes, Rooney speak like this. Fecking imbecile.
He's basically a defensive flat track bully. Sticks his chest out when we win against any minnow.

OrcaFat

I don’t see what the problem is. He’s (fundamentally) a very good player (yes he’s dropped a few clangers!) and wants to be playing.

To my eyes, he does okay most of the time and I rate him above Vic (which doesn’t say much) but, clearly the manager doesn’t like how he plays.

I don’t think it’s a crazy question for him and the club to ask: can Maguire adapt to the system and get back to his peak form (for however brief a time that lasted, he was a very good CB at his best)?

He backed himself to do it but he’s now basically saying there’s a deadline (of sorts) whereby he’s thinking “if I can’t get back in the team by Xmas, it’s time to move on”, and I have no problem whatsoever with that.

People will have a problem with Maguire being called a “very good player” but you don’t get 60 England caps and seven goals if you’re not.

Theo88

I don’t see what the problem is. He’s (fundamentally) a very good player (yes he’s dropped a few clangers!) and wants to be playing.

To my eyes, he does okay most of the time and I rate him above Vic (which doesn’t say much) but, clearly the manager doesn’t like how he plays.

I don’t think it’s a crazy question for him and the club to ask: can Maguire adapt to the system and get back to his peak form (for however brief a time that lasted, he was a very good CB at his best)?

He backed himself to do it but he’s now basically saying there’s a deadline (of sorts) whereby he’s thinking “if I can’t get back in the team by Xmas, it’s time to move on”, and I have no problem whatsoever with that.

People will have a problem with Maguire being called a “very good player” but you don’t get 60 England caps and seven eight goals if you’re not.
fixed that for you :lol:

Also - Sweeden, Ireland, Poland, Ukraine, Hungary, Albania, San Marino. Not many world beaters; I mean, the most challenging opponent England had with Maguire on the scoresheet is arguably Scotland :lol:

Lastly, he's a CB, scoring isnt a key attribute here. I dont mind him trying - i dont think any UTD fan has an issue with that. It's the comments that get most of us. He still acts as a world class CB, he is at best a serviceable player that makes similar money to Van Dijk and more money than the likes of Ruben Dias and Walker. I mean count your f****g blessings son!

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s funny reading posters who’ve slated Sancho for responding to direct criticism come to the defence of a former captain who, in the time of his captaincy & now, chooses to talk about how good he is in spite of the car crash the club is currently in the midst of.

This was the man in charge of leading the dressing room for the best part of the last half decade & everytime he opens his mouth it’s to talk about how good he is/has been.

I lost count of how many times Bruno & Shaw had to come out after one of his disasterclasses because he rarely spoke after poor performances.

He’s the epitome of what people claim is wrong with this squad. Whether you think he’s a good or bad defender is moot at this point, the fact the club is/has been underachieving whilst he’s been here & he’s talking about his win percentage says everything we need to know about him.

Dominos

I definitely think his time here is done but he's not really said anything wrong here has he?
Don't think he's saying much wrong here. He's a footballer and wants to play more football... Colour me shocked.
He knew he was 5th choice centre back, he had the chance to leave but he decided to stay to pick up his £200k a week, and is now complaining about lack of game time. It's just bizarre.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Not necessarily, players speak with clubs and agree deals in principles before clubs reach agreements frequently.

Maguire is quoted as saying the clubs never got as far as agreeing a deal,

The actual opportunity to go to West Ham wasn’t really agreed between both clubs and myself

The actual opportunity wasn’t there because we didn’t get far enough down the line with it

Nolan was quoted as saying 'the money didn't get sorted out'
All that quote says to me is that he didn’t get his payoff and wasn’t leaving. Clubs agreed a fee between themselves and the dispute over who was paying Maguire 6/7m was the sticking point. He won’t come out and admit that was the reason it fell through.
David Moyes confirmed the bid was accepted back in August and personal terms were being discussed.

"I wouldn't talk about players at other clubs, but what I can say is yes, we've had a bid accepted from Manchester United," Moyes told his press conference on Friday. "But while he's not my player, I don't think it's my place to discuss him really."

Maguire had the chance to leave and the pay drop from United to West Ham was the sticking point. Maguire even said in September that “we didn’t come to an agreement” with United. So yes on your point it wasn’t that advanced is true, the hold up was Maguire not agreeing an exit fee. If he wanted to leave for West Ham he had the opportunity to do so. The clubs agreed a fee, it’s over to the player and his agent from that point onwards to agree terms.

calcio

I really am disliking everyone of our English players minus AWB and Shaw. So many spoiled whiny players.

Tap

No one forced him to stay though.

Yes collecting his wages is his right. Others also have the right to voice their displeasure

Oscar Bonavena

Not much, but it's the little things that reveal his soft ego. "Ridiculously high" – only an insecure person would phrase it that way, and that insecurity is what we're so often seeing on the pitch and why the abuse from fans is affecting his performances badly.
Yes, I always get the impression with Harry that his public shows of bravado are a front that hides an inner insecurity.

I wish he actually did play with the same arrogance because any time he did play (well, up to the point he was dropped last season) he looked the exact opposite, like a nervous wreck.

Pickle85

He knew he was 5th choice centre back, he had the chance to leave but he decided to stay to pick up his £200k a week, and is now complaining about lack of game time. It's just bizarre.
Wait, did a club have an offer accepted for him then? If so, who was that?

Pickle85

Well as others have found further up in this thread, Moyes came out over the summer and said an offer had been accepted, and it was wildly reported the issue was his pay off. You can Google that too if you want.
That's what Google is for, right? To check these things? So it looks like a case of he said, he said, but I suppose people will pick a side. I don't really see why Maguire would lie about it but then I don't see why moyes would either.

sepulturite

That's what Google is for, right? To check these things? So it looks like a case of he said, he said, but I suppose people will pick a side. I don't really see why Maguire would lie about it but then I don't see why moyes would either.
Apologies, that seemed more snidy than it was meant to be, I'm just saying that's what happened and that's what all the parties involved and the rumours over the summer were saying, after that I dunno. But as others have said I think it's silly he's complaining about playing time when he knew he was so far down the pecking order now and had an opportunity to move in the summer and be a first teamer there.

Pickle85

Apologies, that seemed more snidy than it was meant to be, I'm just saying that's what happened and that's what all the parties involved and the rumours over the summer were saying, after that I dunno. But as others have said I think it's silly he's complaining about playing time when he knew he was so far down the pecking order now and had an opportunity to move in the summer and be a first teamer there.
No worries at all, I get ya. I can definitely see the frustration and I don't think he should be anywhere near a united team with title aspirations. I just think that there's a certain section of our fanbase (not aimed at you) that will take any opportunity to dump on him, whatever he says.

Mylock

Did poor Harry ever have a bad Game? With all these great performances he should be made captain again.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's fairly easy to see why Maguire would lie about it, as it makes him look quite money-hungry and makes his entire 'I want to play and will talk to the club' public comments subject to ridicule. Whereas I don't see any reason Moyes would lie, and pretty much all the leaks indicated that the clubs had agreed and it was down to Maguire wanting a larger pay-off then the club would give him.

While we probably won't ever know for 100% certainty, it's clear that Maguire's demands scuppering the deal was by far the most likely issue.

Pickle85

It's fairly easy to see why Maguire would lie about it, as it makes him look quite money-hungry and makes his entire 'I want to play and will talk to the club' public comments subject to ridicule. Whereas I don't see any reason Moyes would lie, and pretty much all the leaks indicated that the clubs had agreed and it was down to Maguire wanting a larger pay-off then the club would give him.

While we probably won't ever know for 100% certainty, it's clear that Maguire's demands scuppering the deal was by far the most likely issue.
It makes for a better story than the more prosaic 'never agreed terms' so hardly surprising they'd run with that. As you say, though, I guess we'll never know. All just conjecture at this point.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It makes for a better story than the more prosaic 'never agreed terms' so hardly surprising they'd run with that. As you say, though, I guess we'll never know. All just conjecture at this point.
Not sure it does. 'Utd demanding 45m' (or similar figure) probably makes a better story considering how much the press enjoy anything that makes Utd look incompetent. Putting the failure on Utd probably generates more clicks than putting it on Maguire.

The leaks had no problem saying that it was Utd pricing McTominay out of the move when it came to the other deal between the same two clubs.

Pickle85

Not sure it does. 'Utd demanding 45m' (or similar figure) probably makes a better story considering how much the press enjoy anything that makes Utd look incompetent. Putting the failure on Utd probably generates more clicks than putting it on Maguire.

The leaks had no problem saying that it was Utd pricing McTominay out of the move when it came to the other deal between the same two clubs.
Maguire is a starting England centre back. There's FAR more noise around someone like him than McTominay. And you know how the press love to build up but also (and maybe especially) take down an English player. 'Greedy Harry' is a better story than united wanting another 10 million imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.