Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

Good attitude.
Guys a narcissist.

Maguire first.

Club second.

Club legend 3rd.

He can never make a comment without telling people how good he’s done or been. Contrast it to someone like Scholes who for the most part let’s his career talk for itself & is even self degrading.

Truth is we’ve seen similar from Maguire before, he’s never been the worlds worst defender it’s just mistakes like the one he made in the first half go unpunished against Copenhagen but if he makes it against the likes of Liverpool or City we’d be fecked.

Well done to him for taking his chance but it won’t be too long before the pendulum swings the other way, it never has been.

ForFuchsSake

Fair play to him for his upturn in form. I don’t particularly rate him (like most) or like him (again, like most) but he deserves a certain degree of admiration for how he’s returned to the fold given how he’s perhaps the most memefied player to ever play the game.

Every minute detail of his game is scrutinised to high heaven, even if said action really isn’t that bad and fairly commonplace. He’s not the terrible defender many would make you believe and I there is a lot of rewriting of history in terms of his performances. For example, he was actually very good for England at the Euros but it’s as if there’s a reverse nostalgia in place due to him being a walking meme.

Anyway, long may the upturn in form continue. Losing captaincy is probably a blessing as he should never have been given that role. Confidence plays a monumental role and his seems to have picked up somewhat. Still unconvinced he has a future, even beyond the short-term, here but we shall see.

Pickle85

Guys a narcissist.

Maguire first.

Club second.

Club legend 3rd.

He can never make a comment without telling people how good he’s done or been. Contrast it to someone like Scholes who for the most part let’s his career talk for itself & is even self degrading.

Truth is we’ve seen similar from Maguire before, he’s never been the worlds worst defender it’s just mistakes like the one he made in the first half go unpunished against Copenhagen but if he makes it against the likes of Liverpool or City we’d be fecked.

Well done to him for taking his chance but it won’t be too long before the pendulum swings the other way, it never has been.
You're a funny one...in the Sancho thread defending someone that's never shown a quarter of what Maguire has in a united shirt while also looking utterly uninterested while popping in to casually dump on Maguire when he's actually playing well for the first time in ages.

AFC NimbleThumb

You're a funny one...in the Sancho thread defending someone that's never shown a quarter of what Maguire has in a united shirt while also looking utterly uninterested while popping in to casually dump on Maguire when he's actually playing well for the first time in ages.
You’re incessant with this lie & we’ve been here a few times already with it ending the same way. If you’d like to highlight a post where I defend Sancho then do so in the relevant thread. The fact you’ve been asked to do so a few times & haven't says a lot. If I remember correctly I highlighted calling him a flop amongst other things in that thread & you went quiet [may be another poster though].

If you’d like to discuss Maguire on his merits instead of using the very low bar that is Jadon Sancho’s United ‘career’ then let’s continue cause by that metric Pogba should be spoken about with more reverence than the guy you claim I’m ‘casually dumping on’, another fabrication.

Son

Guys a narcissist.

Maguire first.

Club second.

Club legend 3rd.

Scholes wasn’t jumped on this millions saying he was trash at football. Easy to be self degrading when Zidane calls you his fav player.

Zed 101

Geez didn't realise Agbonlahor had let himself go so much

As for booing, it was as much the demonstrable reaction against the manager's decision to pick him rather than a direct attack on the player, as for Maguire's renaissance a couple of decent games and a goal are encouraging but it doesn't change his suitability for this team or balance the couple of seasons where he was atrocious, that said I will be the happiest person if proven wrong and this renaissance continues.

Woziak

100% not good enough for us. I’m glad he’s playing decent though and helping us when he can. Be best for all parties when he moves on.
Why is he not good enough to be 3rd or 4th choice CB, he’s better than Matip or Gomez at Liverpool, Better than Laycelles at Newcastle, Better than Mings at villa, better than Kiwior or Ben white at Arsenal, on a completely different or another lever to Eric Dier at Spurs and he’s vastly superior to Trevor Chalobah and most of the defenders at Chelsea. If he’s happy being a squad player then he’s the last problem right now, he will always be incredibly useful against highly physical teams like Luton, Sheffield united, Brentford etc.

I genuinely think we would be better getting two young CB’s and sell an injury prone
R Varane to Saudi Arabia for £40m, buy Todibo in the winter and then go after Antonio Silva or Mark Ghuei in the summer, when Evans will be released. Martinez, Maguire, Todibo, A Silva or Ghuei and Lindelof is 5 versatile options to sort out CB.

Varane brings in £40m and you reduce your wage by £350k per week
I’m sure we can buy Todibo and Ghuei for £100m combined and their wages combined will be less than Varane’s so that makes decent business. Plus we keep 2 homegrown spots that we currently have in the centre back positions.

Woziak

Right. I am sure we'll sell both. And then we'll replace them with two Dutch defenders who will actually be worse.
My point Lindelof and Maguire are more than acceptable for squad options as PL players.

Woziak

He may not be....but he seems to be a much more reliable option than Varane at the moment and lisandro was looking anything but impressive before he was injured.
I would like to see Harry and Luke as a CB partnership as we have strength and ball playing ability on both sides.
Bring in Todibo with his pace and he’ll revolutionise United, he’s what Varane was 6 or 7 years ago but much better on the ball.

AFC NimbleThumb

Scholes wasn’t jumped on this millions saying he was trash at football.
Any back & forth on this will be used as ‘dumping on’ Maguire so I’m hesitant to go there but when according to some he was ‘great’ to start his United career I’d say it’s a case of 2 extremes on either side when it’s more somewhere in the middle with him.

Bondi77

Bring in Todibo with his pace and he’ll revolutionise United, he’s what Varane was 6 or 7 years ago but much better on the ball.
If he is that good then hopefully we can bring him in and get Saudi money for Varane.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
What I don't get is this idea that it was unacceptable to call out his genuinely poor form in the last couple of years.

The numbers and eyes do not lie, when he's played this season he's been better, more progressive and been exposed far less than ever.

We should simply be congratulating him on his obvious improvement rather than being ridiculed by footballing royalty like Gabby Agbonlahor.

neon_badger

He's improved, albeit against weak opposition, shown he's prepared to fight for his place/future, but the real test will come against better teams that pressure him on the ball, his distribution (long ballls) won't work against the likes of City. I look at the players from the end of the Ole/Rangnick era and see an inevitable mental capitulation from them, Maguire can cause this or certainly get caught up in this. He's not the only one so doesn't deserve a disproportionate amount of criticism, I could copy/paste this comment and apply it to other players.

clarkydaz

He has a point. The very first sentence quote he is blowing his own trumpet. I thought the same soon as I read it

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Should've built a back three system. Suits Maguire and so many of your profiles.

wolvored

Leave him! The bigger his head gets, the better he can head goals and clearances.

Bobski

Its funny, all those crying about Maguire being so sensitive because he is giving a bit back.

And the lack of willingness to accept that it went beyond critique of performances, yes the memes were fun, for a bit.

Pickle85

You’re incessant with this lie & we’ve been here a few times already with it ending the same way. If you’d like to highlight a post where I defend Sancho then do so in the relevant thread. The fact you’ve been asked to do so a few times & haven't says a lot. If I remember correctly I highlighted calling him a flop amongst other things in that thread & you went quiet [may be another poster though].

If you’d like to discuss Maguire on his merits instead of using the very low bar that is Jadon Sancho’s United ‘career’ then let’s continue cause by that metric Pogba should be spoken about with more reverence than the guy you claim I’m ‘casually dumping on’, another fabrication.
You can go through the majority of your posts in the Sancho thread to see where you're defending him. Just because you follow defending him with 'i'm not saying his time here isn't up' or similar doesn't mean that you're not defending him. Anyway, off topic. As for not dumping on him, you call him a narcissist within the first three words of the post I quoted. Are you saying that calling him a narcissist isn't dumping on him?

AFC NimbleThumb

You can go through the majority of your posts in the Sancho thread to see where you're defending him.
Feel free to highlight in the relevant thread as you’ve been asked to do so on multiple occasions. Not dismissing one side of a disagreement entirely is not defence, do better.
Just because you follow defending him with 'i'm not saying his time here isn't up' or similar doesn't mean that you're not defending him.
So your response to me telling you I’m not doing something is to retorte with a quote I’ve not made (or something similar). . .

You can’t say I’m doing something & make it be true just because it doesn’t align with your extreme take on that matter.

Footballers don’t need defending from us guys behind keyboards, the guy has won already.
As for not dumping on him, you call him a narcissist within the first three words of the post I quoted. Are you saying that calling him a narcissist isn't dumping on him?
This isn’t a performance thread, it’s about his quotes & this is a further example of him centring himself over the team.

You’ve followed me to a few threads now getting upset about my non-existent defensiveness of players yet here you are doing the exact same thing you claim to dislike so much. . .

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Guys a narcissist.

Maguire first.

Club second.

Club legend 3rd.

Maybe if thousands of people weren't constantly saying he was shite he may not feel the need to big himself up.

I'm not sure doing what you need to do to pick yourself up after so much abuse is narcissism.

AFC NimbleThumb

Maybe if thousands of people weren't constantly saying he was shite he may not feel the need to big himself up.

I'm not sure doing what you need to do to pick yourself up after so much abuse is narcissism.
Last time I discussed a topic with you, you dished out infractions for replying in kind. So let’s just say I agree with you & move on.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Its funny, all those crying about Maguire being so sensitive because he is giving a bit back.

And the lack of willingness to accept that it went beyond critique of performances, yes the memes were fun, for a bit.
Attacking him for it is easier than admitting they were wrong on him.

Huddsred

He's not a terrible defender, he's not an excellent defender, he's not a troublemaker, he's not a victim but he is a tryer, I'll give him that.

Leethal

Guys a narcissist.

Maguire first.

Club second.

Club legend 3rd.

Guy has been kicked in the bollocks non-stop for the past year or so. I think he can be afforded the opportunity to try to big up his stock a little when he's actually playing very well.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why is he not good enough to be 3rd or 4th choice CB, he’s better than Matip or Gomez at Liverpool, Better than Laycelles at Newcastle, Better than Mings at villa, better than Kiwior or Ben white at Arsenal, on a completely different or another lever to Eric Dier at Spurs and he’s vastly superior to Trevor Chalobah and most of the defenders at Chelsea. If he’s happy being a squad player then he’s the last problem right now, he will always be incredibly useful against highly physical teams like Luton, Sheffield united, Brentford etc.

I genuinely think we would be better getting two young CB’s and sell an injury prone
R Varane to Saudi Arabia for £40m, buy Todibo in the winter and then go after Antonio Silva or Mark Ghuei in the summer, when Evans will be released. Martinez, Maguire, Todibo, A Silva or Ghuei and Lindelof is 5 versatile options to sort out CB.

I’m sure we can buy Todibo and Ghuei for £100m combined and their wages combined will be less than Varane’s so that makes decent business. Plus we keep 2 homegrown spots that we currently have in the centre back positions.
Do you know how our club runs? Everything you’ve just said makes sense and I agree with it but it’s to easy and to smart for our club to even think that. Maguire is good enough for a squad role but he doesn’t want that he said it himself a few weeks ago and the way we want to play he doesn’t fit into the first team and isn’t good enough for first team football so I think he’ll definitely be sold, if he keeps up the good form then we can probably get 40m for him at least.

Mmm-Qatarian

Guys a narcissist.

Maguire first.

Club second.

Club legend 3rd.

I saw the entire interview and he talked at length about both how big Manchester United are and how the win was dedicated to Sir Bobby Charlton. This is a load of nonsense.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
What I don't get is this idea that it was unacceptable to call out his genuinely poor form in the last couple of years.

The numbers and eyes do not lie, when he's played this season he's been better, more progressive and been exposed far less than ever.

We should simply be congratulating him on his obvious improvement rather than being ridiculed by footballing royalty like Gabby Agbonlahor.
It wasn't, but the level of personal abuse and even bomb threats were clearly well beyond merely calling out poor form.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The abuse he got in this thread for a completely harmless throwaway comment.

Since then he has put in 3 decent performances and won us another game - his attacking productivity is outweighing most of our attacking players (which admittedly is quite easy atm), and he's been defending pretty well.

I've been the first to criticise his performances, especially in Ole's last season, but he's actually stepped up when the team has been really struggling and now directly bailed them out more than once.

Why anyone would rate some fairly standard comments above that, or even use them as a criticism in the first place, is a long way beyond me.

Cantonagotmehere

Totally agree mate, about maybe 3rd / 4th choice but it sure seems he will not be happy being a squad player. Because of that, I hope we move on from him. Best for both parties.

AFC NimbleThumb

Guy has been kicked in the bollocks non-stop for the past year or so. I think he can be afforded the opportunity to try to big up his stock a little when he's actually playing very well.
I think it’s best put in this post. . .

He's not a terrible defender, he's not an excellent defender, he's not a troublemaker, he's not a victim but he is a tryer, I'll give him that.
The frustrating thing is, unless I say I feel he’s a victim in all this I come out as ‘dumping on him’ so there’s no real discussion here.

I saw the entire interview and he talked at length about both how big Manchester United are and how the win was dedicated to Sir Bobby Charlton. This is a load of nonsense.
Who said he didn’t speak at length about Sir Bobby/Manchester United? It’s almost like you’ve not read what’s written. I talked about the order.

So you can watch an interview at length but a few sentences are a struggle. . . Thanks for providing that information.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It wasn't, but the level of personal abuse and even bomb threats were clearly well beyond merely calling out poor form.
That goes without saying, but Agbonlahor didn't really go into that.

The large majority of the ridicule, as I'm sure you know, comes from Social Media and the wider football fan community...look at the England games for example.

I wanted Maguire out and gone because he was playing poorly long before he was being hammered by people, in fact you could argue those in the public eye pussy-footed around his poor form for some time.

But right now I'm delighted that he's got past all that and showing he can raise his level. Based on the comments Agbonlahor made, anyone with a similar view shouldn't feel bad or apologetic about having an opinion. Of course anyone who went past the line and insulted him personally, members of his family or posed any danger to he and his family should suffer real consequences.

People from the same organisation this week referred to Antony as a 'myth'. I'd like to see them apologise about that.

Sir Marcus

He’s doing well at the moment when we really needed someone to step up - captain behaviour.

He may not be as good a player as Varane but he’s certainly been a better servant to our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.