Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

Al-T

Smalling's obvious limitations notwithstanding, I'd have preferred to keep him over Jones, Rojo and Bailley.

romufc

More than any CB we've had since Vidic and more than Maguire in any season, apart from last season which is the anomaly.

And Smalling + Lindelof was comfortably our best partnership
Maybe because he has played the most. In the prem the stats are:
Smalling 219 games 12 goals
Maguire 110 games 7 goals

Do the math.

Judas

Open to offers
Smalling's obvious limitations notwithstanding, I'd have preferred to keep him over Jones, Rojo and Bailley.
Its really the only logical and sane opinion to me. I honestly rate Smalling over Lindelof too, but I can understand how that is debatable for some people.

A-man

I'm taking into account recent seasons where they are starters
They are rather equal in that aspect. Smalling has 6 goals the last three seasons and Maguire 7.

I think the importance of CB being able to score goals is a bit overrated if they are used as they are at United. Last season Smalling and Lindelof scored one each at corners, but on top of my head I can remember two conceded counter attack goals where Shaw was left alone. That kind of balance out the two scored goals.
Also, let’s say Maguire scores 2-3 goals this season. It’s not much considering every free kick and every corner are targeting him. Pogba or McT would probably score the same if they were targeted all the time.

I am disappointed with the setpieces so far. Think they look toothless and would like some variation.

Ekeke

They are rather equal in that aspect. Smalling has 6 goals the last three seasons and Maguire 7.

I think the importance of CB being able to score goals is a bit overrated if they are used as they are at United. Last season Smalling and Lindelof scored one each at corners, but on top of my head I can remember two conceded counter attack goals where Shaw was left alone. That kind of balance out the two scored goals.
Also, let’s say Maguire scores 2-3 goals this season. It’s not much considering every free kick and every corner are targeting him. Pogba or McT would probably score the same if they were targeted all the time.

I am disappointed with the setpieces so far. Think they look toothless and would like some variation.
Obviously the key is the same as any more defensive minded player. You take the chance to go forward at the right times and convert it into goals and dont punish your team too hard for it.

A perfect example of that happening in open play was Smalling's run of goals the season before last from open play, where he would get forward and finish off his chances well. You can do it but you have to get it right. It didnt cost us, it just helped us get points

But for the most part the best way for CBs in particular to get on the scoresheet is set pieces where the entire team can be shuffled around to make up for them not being at the back.

Young at Aston Villa, Mata at Valencia and Chelsea... Pereira in the reserves

We have had plenty of players over the last 4 or 5 seasons who were at one time or another considered a very good set piece taker. They've never seemed to bring that quality of delivery to United

Eleven-Eighteen

Are we settling in for a 5 at the back more often this season? Seems so to me.

Lindelof is nowhere near reliable enough to play sweeper on the occasions that Maguire is further forward. Putting two either side of Maguire allows him to play last man but Maguire also has a decent ball distibution through the center, so when he does want to go a bit further up, the two on either side of him (Lindelof-Tuanzebe or Lindelof-Rojo or Jones-Rojo) can fall back to provide cover.

AWB doesn't quite have the dribbling skills or the crossing to take on the winger role, but he's not been too bad. And he's amazing as ever while defending - back 5 or back 4.

It's the left wing, wing-back which is the biggest gap right now. Is Shaw's injury really that bad? Watching Youngy makes my eyes bleed. And Williams needs at least another season and a half to be brought into the first team.

Ekeke

But you want to exclude last season ? clearly want to change parameters to suit your argument.
I specifically stated last season. Clearly you want to change what I wrote.

Championship goals arent the same as premier league goals

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
As the season progresses, it may well be a Maguire and Tuanzebe partnership.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Granted we were playing a back 3 tonight, but that goal we conceded was down to Lindelof's and Maguire's lack of mobility and pace. Seeing as Lindelof contributes little else than not being weak with his playing out from the back, it's hard to make a case for him partnering Maguire going forward. It's pretty hard playing a high line when you've got zero pace in the centre back partnership.

It's a shame Lindelof hasn't really progressed enough.

Tel074

Am I alone in thinking Maguire was at fault for Chelsea's goal. Should have put a challenge in.
He was at fault with missing the header but I personally think think then Rojo who is facing the play should take charge of the situation. Bad by all 3 of them for me

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think if any one of those 3 are facing the attacker alone, they put a challenge in. It seemed as if they all assumed someone else would, or that he was surrounded so not really a threat. If I had to blame someone it would be Rojo since he's in front of the play rather than chasing back, but it's on all 3 really.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maguire loses the header at which point Lindelof should be reacting much quicker, but he's positioned too high up the pitch during their goal kick and takes a second to realise the danger once Maguire loses the duel. At that point we see that Batshuayi eases away from them as neither decides to foul him. Then Rojo should be doing all he can to close him down but holds off and allows him the space to shoot.

The worst things about the goal is Lindelof's reaction time and positioning and his and Maguire's excruciating lack of pace.

Grande

Mistakes happen. What is strange and unfortunate is they tend to happen once a game for simultaneous players.

This time Maguire makes a big mess, coming out leaving Rojo alone at the back, not winning the header, losing sight of the ball, not holding onto Bats until he found the ball, and then not trying a tackle from behind to get him more out of balance. Lindelöf was already upfield, so Maguire shouldn’t have come out unless he was certain to get the ball or at least the man. Rojo was terribly passive. Didn’t lead the attacker one way. And it’s a bit unlucky the ball scrapes by him so close the vision is blocked for Romero, otherwise he would probably have moved to save it.

Shit happens, I’m not too worried, but it is a nuicance to watch three games out of four where terrible collective lapses has led to easy goals, and the last two being eerily alike.

Eleven-Eighteen

Granted we were playing a back 3 tonight, but that goal we conceded was down to Lindelof's and Maguire's lack of mobility and pace. Seeing as Lindelof contributes little else than not being weak with his playing out from the back, it's hard to make a case for him partnering Maguire going forward. It's pretty hard playing a high line when you've got zero pace in the centre back partnership.

It's a shame Lindelof hasn't really progressed enough.
That's strange. To me Maguire looks pretty damn fast for a centre back...don't know what the stats say but pretty sure i heard someone comment on his pace during the summer as well.

Mcking

My worry is that we can't keep a cleansheet. We generally look solid, but there is almost always one bit of very soft defending per game that leads to a conceded goal.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Thought we defended well, thought Maguire was very good apart from there goal, he shouldnt be losing that initial header.

A-man

It was poor from Maguire and from all three as a collective defence. But overall they have worked well together. Think this was the only shot on target as long as Lindelof was on the pitch, maybe one more, but they didnt have much trouble with the Chelsea attack except for the goal.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That's strange. To me Maguire looks pretty damn fast for a centre back...don't know what the stats say but pretty sure i heard someone comment on his pace during the summer as well.
Watch that goal again.

davidmichael

To be honest I still can’t get my head around sending Smalling out on loan seeing as everything about him from his strengths scream him being an ideal partner for Maguire and keeping Bailly, Jones and Rojo.

On the back of last season I get why Lindelof was/is first choice to partner Maguire but I’d have kept Smalling and had Smalling and Tuanzebe as back up/alternatives to Lindelof alongside Maguire, I think the biggest asset Smalling brings partnering Maguire is his pace and I don’t think Chelsea score that goal last night if Smalling (or Tuanzebe) is playing instead of Lindelof.

Judas

Open to offers
Early days but for a 80 million pound player, Maguire has been disappointing.

:nervous:
In what way? What are people after :lol: Funny its only Utd fans I see bashing him.

The price was laughable, but it was the price we had to pay, and he's been great so far.

I feel like the goal last night was almost a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, they were all expecting the other to deal with it, and then they never did.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
How many defenders have we brought in over the years who have had a better first season with the club, all the while playing virtually every minute? I can't think of any recent ones at least. Lindelof and Rojo surely weren't any better at all in their first season with the club.

Handré1990

To be honest I still can’t get my head around sending Smalling out on loan seeing as everything about him from his strengths scream him being an ideal partner for Maguire and keeping Bailly, Jones and Rojo.

On the back of last season I get why Lindelof was/is first choice to partner Maguire but I’d have kept Smalling and had Smalling and Tuanzebe as back up/alternatives to Lindelof alongside Maguire, I think the biggest asset Smalling brings partnering Maguire is his pace and I don’t think Chelsea score that goal last night if Smalling (or Tuanzebe) is playing instead of Lindelof.
Smalling obviously wanted to play more than he was going to here. Nothing but respect for that decision, even though I’d personally ship out Rojo or Jones before him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I remember people wanting Lindelof to be our new captain a few months ago. He’s a likable lad but he’s not good enough to start in a good side.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I already rate Maguire and I think he'll get much better once the team settles. Plus, he's coming into a pretty unstable set up, so is still adapting. As for Lindelof, he's been fairly mediocre to poor this season, so I hope Tuanzebe gets a shot when he's fit.